Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Story Thread 4: This Would Be Telling

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Darkfire054 from Central asked:
During our last story trip to Valencia, it would be glorious for the pc to recruit and lead our own armada of non-robots, pirates and friends he/she made ( ex. nelson, royal navy, etc. ) for one massive attack on the Armada, is this possible?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
@Trimond297 (continued)

Also, after Captain Kid said "I'll not be driven out! Leave this place!", Bonnie Anne said "Cap'n, whatever that thing is, it's gone into the Rafters!". That dialogue line made it like she was, to put it simply... oblivious to the ghost of Captain Kid. I think her line should be revised to "Cap'n, whoever it was, went up to the Rafters!". That will make her more obvious to the ghost. Could this be done, Blind Mew?

I have no problems with the line as written - she's not oblivious to the ghost, she's just not unsure if that thing was really it.

Oh, one more thing. About Boochbeard's voiceover line in the Sigils Tutorial Tip, "See that mark on the floor? It's a Sigil, and that means there's action on the other side o' that door!" it's been sounding the same since... I guess... beta, and it didn't sound like he had the professionalism in that voiceover. Could that dialogue line be revised to make his voiceover line sound more like the professionalism flair Boochbeard gives out?

I'm not sure what you mean by professionalism - the delivery is fine to my ear.
Well, what I mean is, from the times I've heard the voices of Gortez, Deacon, and Lieutenant Smollet, for examples, they're those characters that have had performed some same written lines, but have vocally revised them during the course of the game's update to make them sound more better than before when they either first performed said lines in the game and succeeded in getting it right on their first try or tried them again until they got it right, and many more would do just the same. Boochbeard's line in the Sigil Tutorial Tip's beginning wasn't one of them right now. I'm just one of many with a great ear to recognize whose voices sound much more like how they should, even if they do manage to get them nailed down. Not to criticize, mind you. Just stating out my opinions. At least... well... that's what I figure from my perspective.

Maybe so, Blind Mew, but to me, I think she should have said "Whoever that was, went up to the Rafters!". It was clear to me that she didn't see the ghost's shape when she said that line, which led me to think of how that line should be revised. Just thinking.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
@Pirates o the Spiral

Blind Mew, have you ever thought about referencing or creating a quest in P101 about the Titanic? Would be a great easter egg, or an in dungeon of some sort on a ship that sinks from not an Iceberg but a skysquid or something?

Not a bad idea, though it might be tricky to put a silly spin on it.
Hehe, I can picture Lucky Jack's promotion quest referencing the Titanic, considering the well-known scene at the end. Now the question is: who would play the girl?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
@Trimond297

While I was in Fort Basset's hall, I noticed a set of doors near the Armory's entrance, and for the moment, it seems to be locked. This leads me to wondering, "What's behind these doors"? I believe it leads to a part of Fort Basset nobody has ever been to before. Do you think this could be worked in as part of a new repeatable side quest in Fort Basset? I would like to see a new optional chamber in there with some new optional bosses, too.

Nope, those doors lead outside, to the courtyard outside the Fort i9n the Port Regal exterior. I'm not a fan fo making sub-quests within an encounter, though I might be persuaded in the future...

Before Rooke's second and last battle in Marleybone, he only speaks to Admiral Nelson, not to the Pirates. Also, he doesn't tell them what happened to the stolen Map Piece General Tso sold Rooke to, though I'm sure it was sent to Valencia before Rooke began his new stratagem. I think Rooke should have new dialogue lines added in about where the Map Piece went before he began his "Endgame" plan. Could that happen?
I don't see why Rooke would ever talk about that with you. That's a secret.

to be continued
Well, I was guessing what those doors led to, but I guess that clears it up. I thought it would lead to one of the fort's unfinished rooms that have been infested with some undead Aztecosaurs guarding a treasure, but I guess outside to Port Regal's courtyard works as well. I looked at the map and thought the doors with the arrow lead to that lead me to that question. Oh, well. Maybe in another new dungeon, we may see that happening. I'm opted to see that sometime.

If I know how the Armada works, once they have found a Map Piece outside of Valencia, they deliver it to Kane in Cadiz, which is obviously the last place we would go to get the pieces from him in the last showdown against Kane yet to arrive. Rooke had bought the piece from General Tso in MooShu in his fortress for guns and gold, who he sent his minions to steal it from Egg Foo Yung. Once Rooke took the Map Piece, he sent that piece to Kane in Valenica before he began his stratagem to end the war against Marleybone. He should have told the Pirates that they were far too late to wrestle the Map Piece from him, if that's what they were attempting to do, which was kind of the point of that idea at the time, at least. That would be the reason why.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2010
1. After Phule escapes our grasp and takes Christopher Clark's piece of the map to Shangri-La in Valencia, we could speculate that he sent it to Kane. But what if he failed? After all, we did see him in chains in Fort Elena, so could Marleybone have it now after they arrested Phule before he could send it to Kane?

2. Also, I rewatched all of the puppet shows through Bishop's show. (I'm only through to like halfway in Marleybone.) I noticed a humanoid octopus and an alien in a UFO that keeps on showing up in the shows. Could they be the dangerous threat(s) in El Dorado or something completely different? I know they're foreshadowing something! I'm guessing that the octopus is Cthulhu and the alien is one of the people from the First World. I'm thinking about the UFO's that are part of a Prospector Zeke quest in Azteca in Wizy...

3. Speaking of puppet shows, when Catbeard is telling us about how Polaris betrayed Napoleguin, Valencia started a skirmish in Napoleguin's backyard, and Marleybone arrested him, did Rooke lead the Armada and that admiral guy in the War Room that constantly gives us missions to do in Marleybone lead the Royal Navy in that battle?

4. Suppose we got crazy and have Cao Tzu get killed off by the Armada so that we wouldn't get to El Dorado after we piece together the whole map. Would we go see Old Ambrose and Gamma themselves in Wizard City? After all, in the letter that Marco Pollo sent to Merle, Pollo did mention that both Ambrose and Gamma could translate the map as well.

Fishy Devesh Higgins - Level 61 Buccaneer
"Let's set the skies on fire!" - Monkey King

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
Blind New quick question:
I was wandering around skull island and by the apartment chamber I noticed a buiding called Tinkeys Warehouse and was wondering what quest or thing it was used for.
Silent Maricela Quietly level 65

Community Leader
@Pirates o the Spiral

Blind Mew, have you ever thought about referencing or creating a quest in P101 about the Titanic? Would be a great easter egg, or an in dungeon of some sort on a ship that sinks from not an Iceberg but a skysquid or something?

Not a bad idea, though it might be tricky to put a silly spin on it.
Hmmm maybe the best place to put it would be in Polaris since its Icy and you could manage a Iceberg there.

I can already see the hilarious scene of Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard reenacting the "I'm flying" scene.

And then when the ship hits the iceberg, they go back to bickering with eachother! lol

Johnny - Pirate101 Community Leader
Captain
May 16, 2011
MizzyPirate13 on Feb 24, 2014 wrote:
Hey Blind Mew,

I'm a first time poster so go easy on me should any of my questions require answers that would be telling.

1) I would first like to ask, where do you find all these amazing people to do the voices of everyone?! It's simply stunning in the range of them! Even for small parts! Wow!

2) And how do you come up with all the cool looks for the characters?

3) If El Toro is a takeoff of Zoro, that got me thinking, what about a character later on in the game, (after you get El Toro), based off The Lone Ranger?! I mean, if the description for El Toro is someone who wheres a mask and fights for justice, why not do the other masked crime fighter that there are many stories about? What do you think?

4) If I were to write a story outside fan fiction about sky pirates like the ones on p101, would you have any suggestions on how I could differ the story enough to make it different?

5) While on the topic of differing trademarked things, would you ever do a character based off Captain Jack Sparrow?! I know it belongs to Disney, but you have him listed in the pirate lore library on the site, and some of the other pirates listed there have parts in the game, so....

6) I have noticed SO MANY takeoffs in the game so far that I'm not quite sure others have caught, like The Rat Pack, (yes I know about the actual Rat Pack), Buster Crab and so many others. But I'm only at lvl 12, so I was wondering if you could tell me, are there more old gags like this later in the game?

-Emmaline Taylor, Level 12 Buccaneer
I can help you out!

3. We've already got a spin-off of The Lone Ranger, in Cool Ranch. Just look carefully.......

5. I'm pretty sure Blind Mew has confirmed there will not be a spin-off of Captain Jack.

6. Oh yeah, there'll be a lot. You're only level 12, so I won't spoil anything for you. Just keep playing, you'll find 'em. Or should I say, they'll find you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Pirates o the Spir... on Feb 26, 2014 wrote:
Hmmm maybe the best place to put it would be in Polaris since its Icy and you could manage a Iceberg there.

I can already see the hilarious scene of Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard reenacting the "I'm flying" scene.

And then when the ship hits the iceberg, they go back to bickering with eachother! lol
Yea and El Toro would blow the scene by swooping in to 'rescue' her. Lol.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
pirate1234241 on Feb 26, 2014 wrote:
Blind New quick question:
I was wandering around skull island and by the apartment chamber I noticed a buiding called Tinkeys Warehouse and was wondering what quest or thing it was used for.
Silent Maricela Quietly level 65
I can help you. Tinekey's Warehouse is used for Milo Graytail's promotions. He is available to all classes, (my witchdoctor has him) but to get him you must have chosen that your parents were killed by a storm. Hope I helped!

-George Gordon, lvl 36

Ensign
Jan 12, 2012
bearkat904 on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
1. After Phule escapes our grasp and takes Christopher Clark's piece of the map to Shangri-La in Valencia, we could speculate that he sent it to Kane. But what if he failed? After all, we did see him in chains in Fort Elena, so could Marleybone have it now after they arrested Phule before he could send it to Kane?

2. Also, I rewatched all of the puppet shows through Bishop's show. (I'm only through to like halfway in Marleybone.) I noticed a humanoid octopus and an alien in a UFO that keeps on showing up in the shows. Could they be the dangerous threat(s) in El Dorado or something completely different? I know they're foreshadowing something! I'm guessing that the octopus is Cthulhu and the alien is one of the people from the First World. I'm thinking about the UFO's that are part of a Prospector Zeke quest in Azteca in Wizy...

3. Speaking of puppet shows, when Catbeard is telling us about how Polaris betrayed Napoleguin, Valencia started a skirmish in Napoleguin's backyard, and Marleybone arrested him, did Rooke lead the Armada and that admiral guy in the War Room that constantly gives us missions to do in Marleybone lead the Royal Navy in that battle?

4. Suppose we got crazy and have Cao Tzu get killed off by the Armada so that we wouldn't get to El Dorado after we piece together the whole map. Would we go see Old Ambrose and Gamma themselves in Wizard City? After all, in the letter that Marco Pollo sent to Merle, Pollo did mention that both Ambrose and Gamma could translate the map as well.

Fishy Devesh Higgins - Level 61 Buccaneer
"Let's set the skies on fire!" - Monkey King
As for number one, Phule actually was just waiting there in ambush for us. He said that the Armada had taken the piece weeks ago, so I doubt he would have kept it on him for that long, even if it was him who recovered it in the first place. Also, Christopher Clark's piece is the one that Captain Blood stole.

Ensign
May 06, 2009
1. With Napoleguin free, wouldn't other worlds be concerned? He's a military mastermind, who in real life, tripled France's size and brought a "democracy" (french revolution was a bit shaky) that had the kings of europe afraid that the democracy and ideas of a republic would ruin their royalty, and it took most of the powers of europe and a land war in Asia to truly bring Napoleon down. And with Napoleguin free to help Gortez win his revolution, what will the other powers of the spiral think?

2. With the question raised of who's the person who took the El Dorado crew pic, this also brings in the question: why didn't said hypothetical 8th person get a piece of the map?

3. It's a bit obvious that Skull Island, movie-wise, is in King Kong, full of lost dinosaurs, angry natives, and the big man himself, King Kong. Has doing something with King Kong and the pirates ever crossed your mind?

4. How will you handle the dad in the game, since each character we make has a different set of hair, eyes, and skin color than the other characters? I'm assuming since the PC's mother is in the pic, a model or sketch of what she looks like has been made.

5. Being a history lover myself, I want to ask, in your opinion: What's your favorite historical topic to study? (I'm purely in love with Rome, with vikings/ norse culture as a runner up)

Also, I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism: I honestly thought that Aquila was the least best (aka worst) world in P101. I thought that doing it all in one book really just crammed too many greek myth-y things and events to do, and it really should have been separated into two books. I thought the Ulysses endgame battle and boss were weak and anti-climatic, and while the idea of giving up your childhood for the oracle is a good idea, but I kinda wish more companions sorta came in to talk to the PC about it to make it seem more memorable and more impactful.

Hope you don't mind answering these questions or my constructive criticism!

Bosun
May 06, 2009
cutlessclark on Feb 25, 2014 wrote:
I understand this next question will probably get a "that would be telling" so my question is not designed for an outright answer, but for more of a "it is possible" or a "not going to happen at all". So here it is... When i was looking at the map of Marleybone I noticed that there is sort of a mainland where Big Ben resides. Will we ever enter this mainland, or meet the Queen ( which I presume lives there)?
Hola!

Big Ben that you see from Westminister Skyway is allunding to Wizard101 Marleybone which where you get to actually be in the city of Marleybone. This would also mean Westminister Skyway is right in front of Marleybone City, which by Wizard-terms wasn't present before, but is a fun way to bring the two games together.
Many of Kingsisle's Worlds are split between Pirate101 and Wizard101. One part will be one, massive, interconnected island (Wizard101), and the other part will be various islands connected with in a Skyway (Pirate101).
Unfortunately, Pirates can't enter Marleybone and never will.

From a story stand point, 1.) the impending war with Valencia has probably called for a halt on any access to Marleybone City, 2.) Being a Pirate would more than likely get you thrown in Newgate Prison of Marleybone City so you wouldn't see much at all and 3.) There are currently not major reasons to go to Marleybone City.
From a technical stand point, it's difficult to merge the systems of Wizard101 and Pirate101 to allow for one set of players to crossover each other.

The same happens with Dragonspyre, MooShu, and Aquila. This is the closest KI can do to make it feel as though the 2 games are very close together without merging them.

Hope that answered your question!

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
Blind Mew on Feb 7, 2014 wrote:
@GBalance101

1. What is the basis of the Armada? I've heard about Armadas in history.

An Armada simply means a big fleet of ships. The name for ours is drawn from the Spanish Armada, one fo the more notorious ones from history. Not giving it a qualifier (like Spanish or whatnot) gives it a faceless, impersonal, and powerful vibe. As for the Clockworks themselves, we wanted a faceless "stormtrooper' the pirate could fight with a clean conscience, and we wanted them to be creepy - thus the masks and the strange movements. Their most direct inspiration (visually, anyway) were the scary robots from the Doctor Who episode "The Girl in the Fireplace", with a strong dose of "The Robots of Death" (a classic Dr. Who episode) for spice.

2. Did you meet Ryan the Relentless?
I did - working with him that day was an awesome experience.

3. Your catchphrase: That would be telling. Am I right?
Yes indeed, though lately "I don't talk schedule" is certainly on the rise. If anyone can guess where I got my favorite catchphrase, I'll be impressed.

4. Fact about yourself?
I am a proud Texan.

5. Why does Avery give us a raft for our first ship? As you put it, that death trap with the planks that groan like a sick yak.
There's a few things going on here - at a meta level, we had to follow RPG convention and have you start out with a small, weak ship so that you'll be encouraged to upgrade and be happy when you get a bigger ship. At a story level, we liked the joke and thought it served as a nifty reminder, right of the bat, that this isn't Wizard - Avery tricked you, because pirates are tricky. Can you imagine Merle Ambrose deceiving the PC like that right off the bat?
do you have any other doc who refferences

Lieutenant
Oct 01, 2010
Hey Blind Mew. Is it alright if you answer these question?

1. Since Gracie is a part of our crew, does she know about how we started the war with Marleybone and Valencia, or does she not know?

2. Would we ever find out why Lucky Jack Russell wears a mask? Or possibly see him without it?

3. Can you give us an oblique hint even in the slightest about the Aquilan Coliseum seen in the teaser?

Anyways I'm always glad to see you come here for the sake of our curiosity. You've been a great and amiable person throughout each of these threads, and you've always put in a lot of time and effort into your answers. We are honored to have you. This won't mean a lot but thank you for everything.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
This is my only question I have. Since skyways are like the sky, could we ever fly blimps or old fashioned airplanes in the skyways? An old fashioned airplane would be way too cool!

Developer
Hey all -

I'm about to get really busy here - as you have no doubt noticed, I'm not here as frequently as I was a week or two ago. I fear my window of frantic activity has closed. I'm going to ask Jack to close this thread, and I'll open Story Thread 5 in which I'll deal with all the questions in queue (note I did not say "answer' ). I'd appreciate it if you'd leave that thread alone and let me just finish out everything for now.

Don't worry - this won't match the absence I had last summer. If from time to time I see a solitary post that's easily answered i may speak up, but I won't be up to lots and lots the way I have been lately. Besides. judging how this thread has been going, there are some of you in the community who've gotten pretty good at answering questions yourselves based on my old answers.

More soon!