Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Story Thread 4: This Would Be Telling

AuthorMessage
Developer
@Cunning Finnigan Sharp

1.) ...In the Gallery though, it mentioned that she went to Strathclydesdale College in Albion. Does this mean Marleybone has strong control in Albion, dispite the rebellion? And if we are to ever go to Albion, is it possible we will see Strathclydesdale College? Lastly, is the name "Strathclydesdale" a pun on an existing college?

Yes, Marleybone still exerts control over Albion, despite the Troubles - think of the history of Ireland: not every part of the Emerald Isle was as troublesome as some others, and even at the peak of rebellion the British were always able to reassert control. If we go to Albion, I'd love to see the college - it'd be the perfect place for a Gracie promotion quest. And lastly, yes it is.

2.) Will we every learn more of Captain Conrad?
Don't know right now, though that promotion quest would again be an ideal place to do it.

3.) I'm sorry, but I still can't get over Gracie Conrad looking different in Celestia and Marleybone. Is there a reason there was a model change from the Brown-furred, pink shirted Grace in Celestia, to the Black-and-White furred, white shirted Gracie in Marleybone?
I'm sorry you can't get over it. I expect the reason is that I looked at a piece of Wizard concept art and said That's who we need!", asked what the name of that character was, got two answers, and picked the one I liked best. You got me.

Continued...

Developer
@Cunning Finnegan Sharp (continued)

4.) ... One story I really want to write that I've thought about since 7th Grade is heavily inspired by the stories of Wizard101 and Pirate101. I like the ideas of a First World being broken apart and islands scattered about, and a tree as the center of it all. My central villian is even inspired, motivationally, by Malistaire, Morganthe, and Kane. But I fear this might cause some kind of plagarism, which I totally don't want to do. The central plot, characters, and villian are much different, but I'm still hesitant. What is your opinion on this?

There's a place for pastiche, homage, and parody, and imitating writing that you like is one of the ways to get better at it - I know it was for me. The trick is how similar is too similar. If you say you're fan fiction set in the Spiral, that's great - but don't ever try to sell it for money without permission. If that's not the way you're going, than you seem to have a lot of similarities, but I haven't read it so I can't tell. Follow your gut - if you're worried you're too close, than you probably are. Focus on the differences in your setting.

5.) How do you typically outline your stories, if you can tell? I have a vision of what I want for my stories, and I already know how I want to end it (is that weird if you haven't even started it?) in my head, but I haven't outlined it yet. Is that completely necessary?
I'll go into this at length in your next post.

Developer
@Cunning Finnigan Sharp

How do you typically outline your stories? I have a vision... but I haven't outlined it yet. Is that completely necessary? Do your outlines look something like those outlines they teach kids about in grade school?

Yes, my outlines are something like what they teach you in grade school - I've found them to be very useful in writing both stories and term papers through high school, college, and beyond. I will say, though, that I don't really care about the formatting - roman numerals vs. numbers, when a sub-point is A) vs. a, that kind of thing.

I will also say that if they don't work for you, don't do them - but i recommend them highly. They keep you focused, and give you an eye for structure. If you know where you're coming from and where you're going, you won't get lost on the way. Outlining can also help you keep track of critical details, and spot places where your story logic is weak - you use them to stand outside the story and take a God's Eye View, as it were.

Different kinds of writing may require an outline less, and you need to be flexible enough to deviate if a really good idea comes along organically. Fiction might not need them, but the kind of work I do definitely does - I'm very concerned about length, repetition of quest goal types, numbers of fights determining play time, and keeping things fresh.

I also typically go through a bunch of outlines, each getting narrower and narrower in focus. The first one had a list of worlds for each book with a bullet point or two underneath, and the final ones have a quest for each header with subheads for each goal and bullet points for every line of dialogue under that, with brief summaries of what the line will say.

I'll continue with examples...

Developer
@Cunning Finnigan Sharp, part 3

So, here's the big scale outline:

1. Book 1 (A Pirate's Life for You)
  • Get accepted by Avery (Jade Amulet)
  • Gunn's Gold
2. Book 2 (Tail of the Gold Monkey)
  • Into Monquista
  • The Isle of Doom
  • The Heart of Darkness: Gortez
Then we drill down each head into its component parts

Book 1: A Pirate's Life for You
Act 1
  • Intro: meet Avery
  • Skull Mountain: Troggy Trouble
  • Temple of Gloom: Fight Fin
  • The Boat Gag
Act 2
  • Intro: Gunn's Gold (puppet show)
  • Kraken Skulls: Meet Ratbeard
  • Rat quests
  • To Jonah Town
... Etc

From here, I take it down to quest goals, dividing it into separate quests as I go when a given quest gets too long.

The tutorial we actually didn't outline very much - we wrote out the sequence of events first in pretty painstaking detail, because it was such a critical sequence.

Again, if you're writing fiction, you may not need an outline. You said you had a beginning, middle, and end in mind - that's essentially a very simple outline right there.

Petty Officer
Mar 15, 2013
Blind mew I thought you were moving this threads in "Blind mews musings" ? Not to be rude just wondering.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Blind Mew on Feb 11, 2014 wrote:
@Koi the Fish

I think you cheated my witchdoctor put of a Coin in port regal then for a quest after that you sent me to flotsam??? I think where you are will you be rich because a lot of people are past port regal and could I get all your loot?

Cheated? Never! The information I gave in return for that coin was perfectly usable. As for being rich, you'd be surprised the kind of expenses I'm operating under - transportation fees for a blind Cat all over Skull Island get expensive.
WAIT A MINUTE!!!! you said before you had an acute sense of steering! whats really going on here, or are just renting a ship in which case i dont feel like sherlock i feel more like watson

Administrator
Pickletastik on Feb 12, 2014 wrote:
Blind mew I thought you were moving this threads in "Blind mews musings" ? Not to be rude just wondering.
That particular forum is simply an archive of all of Blind Mew's old threads. Keep coming back to the Pirate's Life forum for current questions.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Bosun
May 06, 2009

• Gunn's Gold
  • Into Monquista
  • The Isle of Doom

Act 1
  • The Boat Gag
Act 2
  • Rat quests
  • To Jonah Town
... Etc

From here, I take it down to quest goals, dividing it into separate quests as I go when a given quest gets too long.

The tutorial we actually didn't outline very much - we wrote out the sequence of events first in pretty painstaking detail, because it was such a critical sequence.

Again, if you're writing fiction, you may not need an outline. You said you had a beginning, middle, and end in mind - that's essentially a very simple outline right there.
Ah, ok. That really clears the air for me. Thanks so much, Blind Mew! It's definitely more fiction I like to lead toward and I think your advice and examples will help me set some guidelines for what I'd like to do. Again, thank you!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

• Gunn's Gold
  • Into Monquista
  • The Isle of Doom

Act 1
  • The Boat Gag
Act 2
  • Rat quests
  • To Jonah Town
... Etc

Really fascinating stuff Sir Mew. Have you ever thought of teaching a class? I am sure there are a lot of idea stuffed fans out here that would love to know how to learn to do what you do. We have a lot of gifted writers on these boards alone. Think you might ever have time to do such a thing?

Ensign
May 23, 2010
First off, Blind Mew, please pass on my thank you to the whole team for the total awesomeness that is Trafalgar Skyway near Beachhead before we destroy it. I deliberately put off destroying the station as long as I could just so I could experience the magnificent atmosphere for longer (the wrecked ships, the patrolling Armada ships, the wonderful music, the periodic blasts from those huge guns... ah, it makes a pirate's heart sing, it does! It's just not the same with the guns silenced). I've done this part of the storyline with six characters now, and it doesn't get old or tired.

Second, a question:

Will we see Calico Jake again? The poor fellow was last seen trying to hold off far too many clockworks while we escaped (barely) from Deacon's clutches. It would be awesome to run into him again somewhere (maybe as a companion? I noticed his "type" has three distinct critical hit styles... That usually only happens if the type is going to be used for a higher level companion).

Third, a not-plot question - have you guys considered all the other stories that could be told (for crowns, possibly or gold) by a storyteller NPC somewhere? Old tales of El Toro and Captain Blood, or histories of some of the Spiral's other notorious pirates, even Spiral-styled retellings of familiar (and public domain, alas) stories. Short ones could maybe get the puppet show treatment (for a few more crowns/gold) where longer ones could be sold as ebooks. (Yes, I'm an author; yes I write fanfiction as well as my professionally published works. Yes I'd jump at the chance to do this for a small consideration...).

Ensign
Jan 07, 2012
I have a few questions about the storyline. And maybe somethings other than the storyline.

I was wondering about Catbeard and Ratbeard, will we ever find out about why they don't (or didn't) like each other. Maybe in a promotion?

I wonder if there are more of Kane's elite minions, like Deacon and Rooke and the others.

I wonder if Phule will ever have a big role to play in the armada?

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
katreeny on Feb 13, 2014 wrote:
First off, Blind Mew, please pass on my thank you to the whole team for the total awesomeness that is Trafalgar Skyway near Beachhead before we destroy it. I deliberately put off destroying the station as long as I could just so I could experience the magnificent atmosphere for longer (the wrecked ships, the patrolling Armada ships, the wonderful music, the periodic blasts from those huge guns... ah, it makes a pirate's heart sing, it does! It's just not the same with the guns silenced). I've done this part of the storyline with six characters now, and it doesn't get old or tired.

Second, a question:

Will we see Calico Jake again? The poor fellow was last seen trying to hold off far too many clockworks while we escaped (barely) from Deacon's clutches. It would be awesome to run into him again somewhere (maybe as a companion? I noticed his "type" has three distinct critical hit styles... That usually only happens if the type is going to be used for a higher level companion).

Third, a not-plot question - have you guys considered all the other stories that could be told (for crowns, possibly or gold) by a storyteller NPC somewhere? Old tales of El Toro and Captain Blood, or histories of some of the Spiral's other notorious pirates, even Spiral-styled retellings of familiar (and public domain, alas) stories. Short ones could maybe get the puppet show treatment (for a few more crowns/gold) where longer ones could be sold as ebooks. (Yes, I'm an author; yes I write fanfiction as well as my professionally published works. Yes I'd jump at the chance to do this for a small consideration...).
I take it that he is likely dead,but having him as a companion would be good.

Petty Officer
Nov 29, 2011
Hi Blind Mew! I have some random questions about Pirate101 to ask. That's what these threads are for, aren't they?

1. What world do Sloths come from?

2. Are we going to see the mysterious female Armada elite in the next major update?

3. Based on the barmy peeks you've been giving away, will the next major update be a side world?

4. Will the Brass Monkey return!?

5. Ever thought about making a Pirate101 Risk board game?

6. Care to comment on the un-seen screenshots in the Valencia world section on this site?

That's all I have for now. I might have forgotten some questions I meant to ask. If I remember them, then I'll ask a little later!
Well, until then, Yarrrrrr!

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
I'd like a large plate of answers, please, medium rare, with Cool Ranch Doritos and a Dungeon in a Bottle dressing.
1. In your opinion, what is the common level range for a certain world. I mean, SI was 1-12 or 13, but...
2. Calico Jake. Was he supposed to play a role in main quest, or stay in Bonnie's promotions.
3. Imagine if you defeated Deacon before Bonnie was a Sniper. Hello, paradox!
4. There's a whole skyway for Tralafgar? Wow.
5. C for the next skyway... Hmm. Here goes.
As stated by Catbeard, we go back to Skull Island. Avery knows how to get back in to Valencia. He tells us. We go back. We enter the new Valencian Skyway, Cadiz Skyway, and we meet Kane himself. This is not the final battle. We have some kind of battle with Phule or the 'Queen', but it's not over. We go back to Avery. We fight something to get a wind stone to possibly Krokotopia. We go there. We find out more about El Dorado and possibly get a map piece. Then we go BACK to Avery. Next world, Polaris or Darkmoor. More clues about map, or piece. Using information we (I) get/ got from somewhere/ that new fan site, Krokotopia and Aquila line up with Valencia and El Dorado's Stormgate opens. We maybe have a mini game of some sort, like a race. We go to El Dorado. We find our parent's graves. Old Sratch with hoodoo. Talk to them. Kane and Armada meet with us. Kane battles, but not the final one. Then final battle with Kane. The Elites, including Deacon, Rooke, and whoever we beat help him. Boochbeard,Gandry,and our parents help us. We win. End of first storyline. How close am I?

Ensign
Sep 05, 2009
GBalance101 on Feb 14, 2014 wrote:
I'd like a large plate of answers, please, medium rare, with Cool Ranch Doritos and a Dungeon in a Bottle dressing.
1. In your opinion, what is the common level range for a certain world. I mean, SI was 1-12 or 13, but...
2. Calico Jake. Was he supposed to play a role in main quest, or stay in Bonnie's promotions.
3. Imagine if you defeated Deacon before Bonnie was a Sniper. Hello, paradox!
4. There's a whole skyway for Tralafgar? Wow.
5. C for the next skyway... Hmm. Here goes.
As stated by Catbeard, we go back to Skull Island. Avery knows how to get back in to Valencia. He tells us. We go back. We enter the new Valencian Skyway, Cadiz Skyway, and we meet Kane himself. This is not the final battle. We have some kind of battle with Phule or the 'Queen', but it's not over. We go back to Avery. We fight something to get a wind stone to possibly Krokotopia. We go there. We find out more about El Dorado and possibly get a map piece. Then we go BACK to Avery. Next world, Polaris or Darkmoor. More clues about map, or piece. Using information we (I) get/ got from somewhere/ that new fan site, Krokotopia and Aquila line up with Valencia and El Dorado's Stormgate opens. We maybe have a mini game of some sort, like a race. We go to El Dorado. We find our parent's graves. Old Sratch with hoodoo. Talk to them. Kane and Armada meet with us. Kane battles, but not the final one. Then final battle with Kane. The Elites, including Deacon, Rooke, and whoever we beat help him. Boochbeard,Gandry,and our parents help us. We win. End of first storyline. How close am I?
I think most of number 5 makes sense. However I disagree in the fact that Cadiz Skyway will be next. Our first skyway in Valencia was named after an area in northern Spain, therefore, I believe Castile Skyway, or later, Navarra Skyway are more likely.

2 questions for you blind mew (it rhymes!)

1. One thing that interests me is the question of how long it would take to travel from say, skull island, to say, Aquila, but my point is, how long does it take to travel from one port to another?

2. When I look at Valencia's skyway name, it is an area in northern Spain, Monquista, however, land seems to resemble southern Spain, Monquista's architecture also seems to be rather Moorish, any insight?

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
I have just jumped on board with the whole Message Board post thing and i have really enjoyed spending hours reading through your story threads. Your passion for the story and history of this game is truly amazing!! You make this game come alive and i just wanted to say how much i appreciate what you do.

Ensign
Jan 31, 2011
I have a few questions.

1. In the result of Ratbeard's third promotion, I noticed he now has a hook for a leftie. This left me to wonder, did Ratbeard lose his hand, or is it a battle hook that goes over the hand?

2.Might we end going to a comic book super hero-ish world?

3. Might we get a companion based off of Batman?

4. Or Superman?

5. Can we ever expect entire arcs or books to take place on a world we've already visited again?

Thanks in advance!

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
1. Who is Warty Willy? I see his wanted sign everywhere in Cool Ranch but if my memories correct we never meet him.
2. I asked this question before but fear it might have been lost in a bunch of other posts so you didn't see it. Here it is: Will we ever see Boochbeard and Gandry in person again? I mean, they have their own rogue's gallery and appear everywhere. But we never actually get to meet them aside from the beginning.

Ensign
Dec 22, 2010
1. will monkey king get a promotion quest in the next major update?

2. has our dad ever been to el dorado? where did our parents come from exactly?

3. why hasn't the black lotus, the amber horde, or the inoshishi gone off when we had already defeated their masters?

4. where did captain kid come from? my guess is cool ranch.

5. is kent a world or a place in marleybone?

6. will it be possible if we ever visit nodor?

7. when we go to valencia in the next update, which stormgate will we be going through: skull island or mooshu?

8. speaking of the valencia stormgates, will we be going through one particular skyway right before reaching valencia? example: we went to dragonspyre before valencia. maybe we could go through polaris or khrysalis.

Fishy Devesh Higgins: Level 56 Buccaneer
"Let's set the skies on fire!" - Monkey King

Petty Officer
Aug 13, 2012
hey blind mew I just wanted to ask you one question does captain Avery knew our pirates mom? like did he had a crush on her? or were they just good friends?

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
bearkat904 on Feb 15, 2014 wrote:
1. will monkey king get a promotion quest in the next major update?

2. has our dad ever been to el dorado? where did our parents come from exactly?

3. why hasn't the black lotus, the amber horde, or the inoshishi gone off when we had already defeated their masters?

4. where did captain kid come from? my guess is cool ranch.

5. is kent a world or a place in marleybone?

6. will it be possible if we ever visit nodor?

7. when we go to valencia in the next update, which stormgate will we be going through: skull island or mooshu?

8. speaking of the valencia stormgates, will we be going through one particular skyway right before reaching valencia? example: we went to dragonspyre before valencia. maybe we could go through polaris or khrysalis.

Fishy Devesh Higgins: Level 56 Buccaneer
"Let's set the skies on fire!" - Monkey King
I can help you a bit!

2. That's not for certain but we find out that your mother had a piece and she did go to El Dorado. She was on Pollo's crew. Since they were married, Dad probably went there, but didn't have a piece.
3. If they just went away after a single person defeated them, no one else would be able to complete those quests.
4. It appears Kidd is from Marleybone, as he has the doggish look, and appears during the questline getting to Marleybone.
5. Kent is a skyway inside Marleybone, just like Albion and Westminster Skyways.
6. I highly doubt that's possible, the lowest us pirates have ever gone is inside mines and mineshafts.
7. It's also known how the Armada got into Marleybone: a stormgate. We certainly can't go through Avernus again.
8. Polaris is a possibility, but Khrysalis just doesn't make sense. We pirates know squat about Khrysalis. We could go through Port Regal, Westminster, or Hamamitsu, but the Armada will likely be guarding those heavily, and Valencia did fight with Polaris. As Avery states: " The whole mess started years ago, back during the Polarian war. Marleybone, Valencia, Monquista! All the great military powers were drawn into a terrible war with Polaris." Catbeard says: "Oh, yes, Napolenguin, military genius. He rebuilt the Polarian Navy from the ground up and attacked all his allies at once. Marleybone! Valencia! And Monquista! How's that for ambition? Marleybone started a revolt in Napolenguin's own backyard, and Valencia unleashed that Clockwork Armada." So, Polaris is ruled out, as Marleybone, Valencia, AND Monquista would be keeping close watch on it.

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Before I begin, just a observation here. From hindsight, you really were dropping some obvious hints in the first Musing about MB & AQ. So I can't wait to look at this then go, " aha! that's what he meant!"

1. I'm hypothesizing( not guessing, as it's a educated one) that we are headed to Valencia and Cadiz. ( the C.) You gave away a huge hint that Vl is next with G's letter, and Avery practically tells you that Valencia's next. Why make such a obvious ploy?

2.Can the Conqueroo bundle be online? I live in a part of the US with practically no Walmarts, and it being online like the Admiral Bundle would be swell..

3.Also, in the first Musing, you told Cpt. Flint when you came up with Armada ideas, you gave an example of Public Relations. As every other Elite's role is played, she ( no name guessing here) is obviously Public Relations., unless you scrapped that concept. Of course, you can't confirm or deny here, but whatevs.

4.Are any fan made ideas up your sleeve? Zafaria (Zebfrica in the board concept) was one, so KI does look at that stuff and make it, unlike other companies ( HEM HEM looking at you Riot), so it's a possibility. Right?

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
So I have seen some posts about the tigers in Marleybone signify an Indian culture that was colonized by Great Britain. My question about the story line is did you get the inspiration for the tiger revolt over the rations not being bad enough from the real Sepoy Rebellion of 1857. If so I found this part of the game really great with its funny twists on real history.

Ensign
Dec 13, 2009
Blind Mew, i have a few questions for you,
1. Will book 15 take us to the unnamed skyways in Monquista, Valencia, and Mooshu, or will it takes us to a new world through an unnamed stormgate like the one in Avernus If the second one is done, will it take us to a new area are one mentioned before like Rajah or Darkmoor
2. Will there be a point where we might have to fight Avery or have a strange plot twist like Avery actually being Kane in disguise
3. What is the name of the unnamed Clockwork in the puppet show about the Armada next to Kane Follow-up question, will we encounter her in the next area, or will it be bishop or phule again or will the Armada re-build Deacon and/or Rooke
4. If we do return to Mooshu, will the blocked entrance in Hamamitsu Skyway be a way to the Jade Palace
5. When we eventually fight Kane, wouldn't it be neat if he revived his inner circle and we had to fight all six of them one by one, then all together
6. In the Tribal Crew Booster Pack, could you guys up the chance for the Azteca companions a little bit because I've bought about one hundred of them and keep getting the same things just at different level requirements
7. In the future, will there be a point where the Armada will steal the map from us and beat us to El Dorado
8. In the letter that Marco Pollo sent to Merle Ambrose, it said that his crew and him almost died in El Dorado could the "thing" that almost killed Marco Pollo and his crew be the Armada who could've followed him there but were forced to retreat or maybe the dragon titan from dragonspyre
9. This last one is just a suspicion, but could Kane actually be a human in a robot suit like a juggernaut and possibly have been a member of Marco Pollo's crew and mutinied and tried to steal his map and got kicked off Marco Pollo's crew?
Sincerely,
Dark Brian Silver
(my pirate's name for anyone else who reads this)

Captain
May 16, 2011
Hello there, Blind Mew! I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1. I've noticed on several quests, many worlds are mentioned that our pirate has not gone to. These consist of; Polaris, Darkmoor, Krokotopia, and Rajah. Any chance at least one of these worlds will be visited in the Kane arc?

2. In Lucky Jack Russell's second promotion quest, the main topic is of the conundrum machines. These(if I'm not mistaken), are full of the same information on each one, written in a code. Thus, as part of the goal to get the remaining map pieces from Kane, we could use one of these conundrum machines to find out where the map pieces are, correct? Am I on the right track?

3. Would the Mag. 7 ever get speaking lines? Of course, in a privateer's case, either Jane or Bill would have to be silent. But, if they suddenly begin having speaking lines, could one of the companions make an inside joke about how our Mag. 7 crew member "finally" began talking.

4. I'm curious about the skeleton cowboys in the Haunted Skyway and Miranda. Shouldn't they be skeletons of of birds, not bauble-headed skeletons of humans?

5. Any chance a goal for one of the main story quests is to defeat a turret boss? You know, that would make for an immensely better challenge than fighting 12 or 10 ships.

So, that's it. Hopefully, none of my questions would be answered with; "That would be telling."

Thanks, Mew!