Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How'd you spend your Practice Points?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I'm a little curious to find out how others spent their practice points, so please post your pirate class and what you got and if you having any points remaining. Hopefully, some new players will read this topic and find out what's best for their pirate before they end up choosing something they'd later regret, and this way can save some crowns too.

Personally, I like to spend all of mine on passive talents that don't clog up my powers list.

Swashbuckler

Witchdoctor chain to Resistance 2 = 6 total
15% increase to Spooky is great for our poisons cards. As well, having some resistance against Muskteers and Witchdoctors is better than none at all.

Privateer chain to Elusive 2 = 6 total
Slashy Weapons 2 is an obvious must have, along with Elusive 2 which increases our dodge when we're below 50%.

Buccaneer chain to Armored 2 = 5 total
Just did this to increase my Armor.

I still have 3 practice points remaining overall.

Witchdoctor

Musketeer chain to Accurate 2 = 4 total
Did this for the +5 accuracy bonus (though I probably shouldn't have done this)

Privateer chain to Elusive 2 = 9 total
Extra health, slashy weapons bonus, and increased dodge when below 50%, which is Witchdoctors' biggest weakness.

2 practice points remaining.

Buccaneer

Swashbuckler chain to Dodgy 2 = 6 total
Some extra damage and being able to move further is great.

Privateer chain to Elusive 2 = 4 total
Did this for Slashy weapons bonus (must have) and having elusive 2 is great so I can stay in fights longer.

Witchdoctor chain to Resistance 2 = 6 total
Did this for my Mojo Storm boots and I like having some resistance.

I still have 4 practice points remaining.

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
For my Privateer, I am still working on getting all of the Witchdoctor's power, but I have all of the talent boosters from that class. I learned only the powers from the Musketeer class, and only up to the trap. I learned a lot of powers and talent boosters from the Swashbuckler class, but I really regret some of those decisions, because I am rarely ever in hand to hand combat! I am currently trying to learn Smashy Weapons from the Buccaneer class, because I have collected some pretty awesome looking smashy type weapons over my time in my adventures around the Spiral.

Lvl 65

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
Musketeer

I did this for the best weapon in the game in my opinion for musketeers, the Firebird Set that's Smashy/Shooty.

Witchdoctor chain to Lucky 2 = 6 total
Spooky helps our traps, bombs, and power cards and having extra resistance doesn't hurt.

Swashbuckler chain to Dodgy 2 = 7 total
I like having extra damage and more dodge, as well as being able to move up more.

I still have 2 practice points remaining.

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
I don't know really, I just take whats there. I don't reall have much of a strategy in battle.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
This is a great thread, thank you. Biggest thing I have learned is I didn't know that spooky helped with poison and with musketeer bombs & traps. Is there coding on our stuff to show us what helps what? Like there is one symbol on stuff that I have no idea what it means and haven't found a guide that tells us what the icons on the cards mean.

For all you guide makers out there I would love some sort of key to look at so I could say: " Hmm this has a squarish icon with scrolly things around it, that means that x....x boosts with it, or "This weapon or hit card has a flaming arrow on it, that means I can't use it unless I have a x....x weapon loaded.

Did any of that make sense?

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
i spent all my practice points up to my level 60 practice point on privateer abilities and talents
- Faithful Tatiana Jackson level 62 witch doctor

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 21, 2014 wrote:
This is a great thread, thank you. Biggest thing I have learned is I didn't know that spooky helped with poison and with musketeer bombs & traps. Is there coding on our stuff to show us what helps what? Like there is one symbol on stuff that I have no idea what it means and haven't found a guide that tells us what the icons on the cards mean.

For all you guide makers out there I would love some sort of key to look at so I could say: " Hmm this has a squarish icon with scrolly things around it, that means that x....x boosts with it, or "This weapon or hit card has a flaming arrow on it, that means I can't use it unless I have a x....x weapon loaded.

Did any of that make sense?
To answer your question there isn't an indicator to tell if Spooky will help your powers on the specific cards themselves. However, they do tell us if we need a specific weapon in order to use it (i.e. Assassin Strike requires Smashy, Slashy, or Stabby weapon) like you mentioned, though I'm having a bug with that on my musketeer, details here.

If I had to guess, I would say Spooky helps all powers that either have a range with it (i.e. Revive, Valor's Armor, Ghostwail) or an AOE attack (i.e. Assassin's Mist and I guess Dance of Steel based on my hypothesis) or both (i.e. Mojo Storm, The Big Guns, Bombs). I can tell you this though, my musketeer (naturally spooky and trained spooky 2) versus my finance's musketeer (naturally tough and trained spooky 2) does a lot more damage overall with all of the attacks.

I hope that answers your question, if not I can try again.

While on the subject of Natural Talents I think it will help many new pirates to know exactly what they will get from each one so that they can choose better.

Naturally Spooky: Increases spooky by 5%
Naturally Tough: Increases health by 5% of your base health
Born Warrior: Increases damage by +5
Born Sneak: Increases dodge by +5
Keen Eyes: Increases accuracy by +5

I'm not exactly sure why Born Warrior, Born Sneak, and Keen Eyes aren't 5% of the base stat they would be increasing, but because of that I do not recommend getting them at all.