Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Roleplay - A Masked Ball in Padova

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 31, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 3, 2013 wrote:
OOC: Presumably to sneak into Valencia with everyone else on this mission . But, you have some options:

1)Your pirate (what is his name, by the way? And appearance perhaps?) is joining with the group that is taking on the roles of family members of the Vinaldi family. You have already been apprised of the plan and joined up with the Resistance ship earlier. You could be planning to pose as either a footman (an upper servant) or perhaps a cousin (if so, conveniently another family member adopted a human kid)

2) You could take on another role that is not your pirate. There is a Valencian unicorn youth who is taking on the role of the Vinaldi teenaged boy.

Or something else?
OOC: I think I'll go with option one. Oh, and I'll be using my main pirate, Cunning Jack. He has black hair, red eyes, a gold patch over his right eye. He wears a floppy feathered hat, a duster covered in knives, and a glove over his right arm. Any more questions?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Oct 3, 2013 wrote:
"So we don't 'ave to buy our own dresses? I don't mind paying, really. I am a pirate after all, I 'ave quite large piles of gold, some from Marleybone, some from Mushoo, I even 'ave real Valencian gold." Scarlet stated most matter of factly. "I must request 'owever, zat I use my own mask. It's a bit old but in very good condition. It used to belong to ma mère [my mother], it is one of ze few zings I 'ave left from my parents." Scarlet continued quietly, "It is made to resemble the face of a Peregrin Falcon, I know it might be a bit dangerous, zis mask was sort of my muzzer's trademark when she did not want her identity easily guessed." Scarlet blushed a bit as she explained about the mask. Usually she tried very hard to hide her emotions, and didn't want anybody to think that she was weak in any way.

[OOC: Just to be clear, the way I picture Scarlet's mask, it would be white with the peregrin falcon's tear drop mask around the eye holes, the mask does have a slight hooked beak to it which would be positioned over the wearer's nose. I don't think the mask should have any feathering.]
(You all can have any mask you like. The masks will be made to your pleasure. Your Resistance allies would be impressed that Scarlet would bring her own mask. And I do love to hear Scarlet's accent these days More will unfold once you are aboard ship)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Serpent996 on Oct 4, 2013 wrote:
OOC: I think I'll go with option one. Oh, and I'll be using my main pirate, Cunning Jack. He has black hair, red eyes, a gold patch over his right eye. He wears a floppy feathered hat, a duster covered in knives, and a glove over his right arm. Any more questions?
Just one more question -- do you want to be impersonating a servant or a cousin?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Once on board the Valencian ship, they were all introduced to another member of the team, Cunning Jack. And soon work began in earnest.

They all had much to learn about the political structure of Padova, the personalities and -as best as possible-personal knowledge of the people they were impersonating [the Vinaldi children are pretty much known as amiable, good-natured, polite kids -- you can decide the details of the personalities -- shy, bold, chatterbox, silent, silly, grave, etc. -- for yourselves].

The girls in particular had to learn how to move and fight in unfamiliar dress. First, they had a practice bout in front of the stay-maker and his apprentices, who watched the techniques of the pirates. The girls were measured, asked some questions, and the next day the weary stay-maker with his sleepy apprentices proudly presented a set of half-boned stays to each of the female pirate captains. With minor adjustments, the stays were finished, and the artisans turned in for a well-earned sleep.

Practice fights then took place in shifts, petticoats, and stays (well, not for Cunning Jack, but you knew that!). The stays, even lightly boned as they were, did create some restriction in movement that had to be compensated for. On the other hand, they found that the additional back support of the stays gave them more lifting strength and better support for many flips. The petticoats did hamper the flips some, especially as the fabric could get in the way of the line of vision. So the usual style of fighting had to be adjusted, but since some new moves were created in doing so, nobody really minded, though Emma secretly wished she had her usual clothes for everyday wear at least.

And, of course, there was the question of weapons at the ball. The usual compliment of a rapier at one's side or a sparkpistol in a gilded holster was frowned upon these days in Valencia. However, that did not stop the presence of concealed weapons, it just limited the choice...

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
CdeWinter on Oct 3, 2013 wrote:
"So we don't 'ave to buy our own dresses? I don't mind paying, really. I am a pirate after all, I 'ave quite large piles of gold, some from Marleybone, some from Mushoo, I even 'ave real Valencian gold." Scarlet stated most matter of factly. "I must request 'owever, zat I use my own mask. It's a bit old but in very good condition. It used to belong to ma mère [my mother], it is one of ze few zings I 'ave left from my parents." Scarlet continued quietly, "It is made to resemble the face of a Peregrin Falcon, I know it might be a bit dangerous, zis mask was sort of my muzzer's trademark when she did not want her identity easily guessed." Scarlet blushed a bit as she explained about the mask. Usually she tried very hard to hide her emotions, and didn't want anybody to think that she was weak in any way.

[OOC: Just to be clear, the way I picture Scarlet's mask, it would be white with the peregrin falcon's tear drop mask around the eye holes, the mask does have a slight hooked beak to it which would be positioned over the wearer's nose. I don't think the mask should have any feathering.]
"Aw, that's so sweet, Scarlet!" Lizzy smiled, glancing as Scarlet's emotions when she spoke about her mother's mask.

If I have to be an animal... Lizzy furrowed her eyebrows, leaving the conversation for her own thoughts. What would I be?

A bear. Was one of her first answers.

Too masculine, maybe? Let's try something else.

An ibis?

Nah...

No way am I doing a baboon, either...

An owl may be a creature of knowledge, but a short-beaked bird would be too much like Scarlet's mask...

A wolf! This crashed into her thoughts and refused to leave. [OOC: I don't know the spiral-equivalent of Germany either, Emma] Wolf was the name of a female German novelist, and also was the type of creature that was her best friend in Grizzleheim. It was very special to her, and she made up her mind.

"I'll be a white wolf." She said with a smile. "I'll do a white dress, and I'm sure I've got some white dancing shoes somewhere..."

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Just Add Bacon on Oct 6, 2013 wrote:
"Aw, that's so sweet, Scarlet!" Lizzy smiled, glancing as Scarlet's emotions when she spoke about her mother's mask.

If I have to be an animal... Lizzy furrowed her eyebrows, leaving the conversation for her own thoughts. What would I be?

A bear. Was one of her first answers.

Too masculine, maybe? Let's try something else.

An ibis?

Nah...

No way am I doing a baboon, either...

An owl may be a creature of knowledge, but a short-beaked bird would be too much like Scarlet's mask...

A wolf! This crashed into her thoughts and refused to leave. [OOC: I don't know the spiral-equivalent of Germany either, Emma] Wolf was the name of a female German novelist, and also was the type of creature that was her best friend in Grizzleheim. It was very special to her, and she made up her mind.

"I'll be a white wolf." She said with a smile. "I'll do a white dress, and I'm sure I've got some white dancing shoes somewhere..."
[Completely OOC: Nice choice of mask Elizabeth. When I was thinking of a mask for Scarlet, I knew I wanted it to be a bird of prey, and my second choice was actually a barn owl. They have a very pretty face in my opinion with a mostly white head and light brownish red circles around their eyes. Plus, I don't know if you have ever heard a Barn Owl's cry, but it is probably the single most terrifying sound I have ever heard. It's even more terrifying when you hear it in an old abandoned barn (which is where Barn Owls prefer to nest). I can best describe a Barn Owl's cry as a blood curdling death shriek. Really if you can find a recorded Barn Owl's cry anywhere you should listen to it.]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Chrissy thought about her mask. Her eyes traveled across the lagoon to her own proud ship The Winged Gladiator and thought it would be fun to go as herself, the Nightingale. I think I shall be a nightingale with what ever colors are appropriate but I would like golden accents. I have this lovely purple and gold one of my mother's but I am not sure how often she wore it so I don't want to jeopardize anything and am willing to have it redone. She decided to ask Don Graziella if the mask would work for if she used it she knew she would need lots of practice fighting in it. Chrissy signaled her Parrot mount and give her a note to have the mask flown over by the parrot. She knew that keeping their location secret was critical.

OCC; Sam I just adore your stuff. You have me cracking up. I really lost it at the pinky thing. Just brilliant. And your poor character, I would go nuts trying to remember all that fan talk. Well done.

Ensign
May 31, 2012
I went down to the guest cabin where I was staying for the voyage, still trying not to laugh. Earlier today, I had been trying to help Emma learn to fight while she wore a dress. She had gotten better, but the sight of my friend in a dress had been so ridiculous, it had took all my self-control not to poke fun at her. I knew she hated wearing dresses. I, of course, wouldn't be having that problem. In fact, I wasn't dressing up as a noble at all, but as a servant, unconnected to the family. I had passed over the role of the cousin for it. Servants were the lifeblood of the society, the ones who kept things running. Besides, I did my best work behind the scenes. I was dressing in a simple tuxedo (a monkey suit, urgh) and bow-tie, as was befitting a servant. My mask, for everyone was wearing one, including the servants, was a simple hawk-like thing, with a single eyehole on the left side. White and unadorned. Perfect.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Serpent996 on Oct 6, 2013 wrote:
I went down to the guest cabin where I was staying for the voyage, still trying not to laugh. Earlier today, I had been trying to help Emma learn to fight while she wore a dress. She had gotten better, but the sight of my friend in a dress had been so ridiculous, it had took all my self-control not to poke fun at her. I knew she hated wearing dresses. I, of course, wouldn't be having that problem. In fact, I wasn't dressing up as a noble at all, but as a servant, unconnected to the family. I had passed over the role of the cousin for it. Servants were the lifeblood of the society, the ones who kept things running. Besides, I did my best work behind the scenes. I was dressing in a simple tuxedo (a monkey suit, urgh) and bow-tie, as was befitting a servant. My mask, for everyone was wearing one, including the servants, was a simple hawk-like thing, with a single eyehole on the left side. White and unadorned. Perfect.
Nice detail and character flavors. You are gonna fit right in here.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Sam wasn't sure if he was feeling more relieved or wistful. He had dropped the unicorn Magdelena Vendelino back off at the Laurentine Library to get on with her own work, and now the mood on the Black Star was unstable at best. The members of the crew weren't sure if teasing, sympathy, ignorance, or outright ridicule was the best path to choose in dealing with the Captain.

On the one hand, Sam was anxious to get back to the search for Marco Pollo's map. It was obvious the Armada wasn't letting any grass grow under their feet in the their efforts to find the next piece. On another hand it was also nice to take a break from the breakneck speed this adventure was bent on. On the third hand, the upcoming Valencian Ball was not an opportunity to be missed. Aside from the sheer epicness of the gala itself at the Doge's palace, there were just so many chances to make contacts with important personages, and who knew when those might come in handy some day? On the fourth hand, Sam actually found himself missing Magdelena's presence.

Yes, Magdelena was often overwhelmingly dramatic and enjoyed making a spectacle of herself, but she was fun to be around. She was also the best translator in the spiral, and had proven useful in that regard as well. OK, Sam wasn't sure if she was merely flirting with him, or was she actually interested in a relationship? He wasn't sure what she wanted from him, and what were his own feelings about it?

Had it been pure chance she picked him out just as he had walking by, or had she known he had a ship? What did she want the ship for - passage to the ball, or something else? Was she a full fledged member of the resistance, or just a sympathizer? And how much trouble would he be in when he found out the answers to these questions?

That was it, he needed to clear his brain from thinking, as Ratbeard would say.

"Alright troops," he declared, "back on the mission for now - we're headed to Granchia and Marco Pollo's tomb."

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 5, 2013 wrote:
Once on board the Valencian ship, they were all introduced to another member of the team, Cunning Jack. And soon work began in earnest.

They all had much to learn about the political structure of Padova, the personalities and -as best as possible-personal knowledge of the people they were impersonating [the Vinaldi children are pretty much known as amiable, good-natured, polite kids -- you can decide the details of the personalities -- shy, bold, chatterbox, silent, silly, grave, etc. -- for yourselves].

The girls in particular had to learn how to move and fight in unfamiliar dress. First, they had a practice bout in front of the stay-maker and his apprentices, who watched the techniques of the pirates. The girls were measured, asked some questions, and the next day the weary stay-maker with his sleepy apprentices proudly presented a set of half-boned stays to each of the female pirate captains. With minor adjustments, the stays were finished, and the artisans turned in for a well-earned sleep.

Practice fights then took place in shifts, petticoats, and stays (well, not for Cunning Jack, but you knew that!). The stays, even lightly boned as they were, did create some restriction in movement that had to be compensated for. On the other hand, they found that the additional back support of the stays gave them more lifting strength and better support for many flips. The petticoats did hamper the flips some, especially as the fabric could get in the way of the line of vision. So the usual style of fighting had to be adjusted, but since some new moves were created in doing so, nobody really minded, though Emma secretly wished she had her usual clothes for everyday wear at least.

And, of course, there was the question of weapons at the ball. The usual compliment of a rapier at one's side or a sparkpistol in a gilded holster was frowned upon these days in Valencia. However, that did not stop the presence of concealed weapons, it just limited the choice...
(OOC: I have decided Emma's mask and such, but I think everyone knows what it will be animal-wise. XD Well, as for her dress, I went for a country-esque one- just Emma's style.)

Emma looked down at the dress she decided on. It wasn't too elaborate, and not dull- and it had the Cool Ranch sort of taste, in her opinion. The colors on it weren't her primary choices- aurelian, black, and red, but she liked it anyway. A long sleeved, gold top merged into a black corset of sorts which was sewn into the front part of the skirt- three ruffled layers of black, which reached her knees, and the other parts of the skirt were a pretty gold color as well. She wore a red rose choker which was tinted with black, as well as a similar hairpiece in her updone hair- which was in a sort of upturned ponytail. Just her style. And lastly, there was a white shirt with lace beneath the gold and black, and it made for a pretty outfit.

"Since it is apparent that we are going for animalistic masks, I'd say for myself my choice would be a fox-like mask or an owl like mask, but since I don't want to copy Scarlet and her lovely peregrine falcon, I think I'm going with the fox." (OOC: Owls are my favorite birds. I have three self-painted owl statues and an owl storage thing.) The blonde shot a glare toward Jack, who was obviously stifling laughter. "Oh ha ha. Now I promise ya I ain't helpin' next time Raven decides to exact vengeance on ya!" She called out. Of course- Raven was one of Jack's enemies. It was kinda hard not to dislike the witch. As Jack went down the stairs, Emma turned to the others. "I will hunt y'all down if ya mention this to anyone outside o' this operation, but I don't mind this dress all too much. In fact, I might keep it."

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 7, 2013 wrote:
(OOC: I have decided Emma's mask and such, but I think everyone knows what it will be animal-wise. XD Well, as for her dress, I went for a country-esque one- just Emma's style.)

Emma looked down at the dress she decided on. It wasn't too elaborate, and not dull- and it had the Cool Ranch sort of taste, in her opinion. The colors on it weren't her primary choices- aurelian, black, and red, but she liked it anyway. A long sleeved, gold top merged into a black corset of sorts which was sewn into the front part of the skirt- three ruffled layers of black, which reached her knees, and the other parts of the skirt were a pretty gold color as well. She wore a red rose choker which was tinted with black, as well as a similar hairpiece in her updone hair- which was in a sort of upturned ponytail. Just her style. And lastly, there was a white shirt with lace beneath the gold and black, and it made for a pretty outfit.

"Since it is apparent that we are going for animalistic masks, I'd say for myself my choice would be a fox-like mask or an owl like mask, but since I don't want to copy Scarlet and her lovely peregrine falcon, I think I'm going with the fox." (OOC: Owls are my favorite birds. I have three self-painted owl statues and an owl storage thing.) The blonde shot a glare toward Jack, who was obviously stifling laughter. "Oh ha ha. Now I promise ya I ain't helpin' next time Raven decides to exact vengeance on ya!" She called out. Of course- Raven was one of Jack's enemies. It was kinda hard not to dislike the witch. As Jack went down the stairs, Emma turned to the others. "I will hunt y'all down if ya mention this to anyone outside o' this operation, but I don't mind this dress all too much. In fact, I might keep it."
OOC: interesting, creative... the mantua-makers onboard the ship would be scratching their heads a bit at your request, but willing to make this for you... but Dona Graziella would recommend you dress in a more conventional way for the ball, so as not to stand out too dangerously -- which can still have a lot of these elements.

This is where pictures would so come in handy! My daughter in real life (who plays 'Practical Evelyn Lewis') has been pestering me to make a Pirate101 blog entitled "Anne's Wardrobe Unlock'd" -- a parody of one of my most precious books "Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd" -- Elizabeth I, that is-- and the blog would look at the history of some of the clothing in Pirate 101, etc. But this is a rather busy time for me right now!

Let me try to translate your idea into mid-18th C. style, and see if you like this for a ballgown:

`
The head mantua maker provided a new sketch for Emma of her ballgown to see if it met with her approval. The bodice would be made of gold silk, edged around the low scooped neckline with black lace. The neckline is low on the chest, enough to reveal just a hint of the fine linen shift that every woman wore underneath, but still cut modestly. The tight sleeves of the same gold silk, ending just below the elbow, would have a matching frill of black lace, and the sleeve area would end in a double frill of wide sleeve ruffles, made of the finest, nearly transparent linen. The front of the bodice would be fastened and ornamented with a gold stomacher, embroidered with arabesques of black and red embroidered roses. The bodice would be part of an open gown, the gown being of the gold silk and open in the front to reveal an outer petticoat with black silk ruffles [18th C. petticoats are not underwear, but very often an important part of the ensemble]. Around her neck would be a black ribbon choker with a red rose, and red roses with black silk and gold silk leaves adorn her simply upswept hair. And on Emma's feet, a pair of gold & black brocade backless pumps, with red heels, perfect for dancing. From the sketch you can see that the gown would only be at ankle length, for ease of dancing and to nicely show off your pretty shoes.

[Does this work?]

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
OOC; Anne I am just no good at coming up with a dress. I never did learn to sew, My mom was a gifted seamstress but a lousy teacher. and I have never been one to look at a blueprint or a framed out section and "see" the room. I will follow your lead on my dress and how it looks. I will trust your judgement totally.

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 8, 2013 wrote:
OOC: interesting, creative... the mantua-makers onboard the ship would be scratching their heads a bit at your request, but willing to make this for you... but Dona Graziella would recommend you dress in a more conventional way for the ball, so as not to stand out too dangerously -- which can still have a lot of these elements.

This is where pictures would so come in handy! My daughter in real life (who plays 'Practical Evelyn Lewis') has been pestering me to make a Pirate101 blog entitled "Anne's Wardrobe Unlock'd" -- a parody of one of my most precious books "Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd" -- Elizabeth I, that is-- and the blog would look at the history of some of the clothing in Pirate 101, etc. But this is a rather busy time for me right now!

Let me try to translate your idea into mid-18th C. style, and see if you like this for a ballgown:

`
The head mantua maker provided a new sketch for Emma of her ballgown to see if it met with her approval. The bodice would be made of gold silk, edged around the low scooped neckline with black lace. The neckline is low on the chest, enough to reveal just a hint of the fine linen shift that every woman wore underneath, but still cut modestly. The tight sleeves of the same gold silk, ending just below the elbow, would have a matching frill of black lace, and the sleeve area would end in a double frill of wide sleeve ruffles, made of the finest, nearly transparent linen. The front of the bodice would be fastened and ornamented with a gold stomacher, embroidered with arabesques of black and red embroidered roses. The bodice would be part of an open gown, the gown being of the gold silk and open in the front to reveal an outer petticoat with black silk ruffles [18th C. petticoats are not underwear, but very often an important part of the ensemble]. Around her neck would be a black ribbon choker with a red rose, and red roses with black silk and gold silk leaves adorn her simply upswept hair. And on Emma's feet, a pair of gold & black brocade backless pumps, with red heels, perfect for dancing. From the sketch you can see that the gown would only be at ankle length, for ease of dancing and to nicely show off your pretty shoes.

[Does this work?]
(OOC: Anne, it takes a lot t get me excited over a dress, and it's fair to say I've never been so immensely amazed by a dress design. Hai- it very much works! Gracias, Arigato!

"It's... Actually a pretty amazing design!" Emma admitted. She was having the war of her life with the tomboy side of her and the little bit of feminism in there. "It'll work wonderfully." The blonde was having a really difficult time attempting to conceal her smile. "What I had in mind was a lot less pretty than this. Dang, I have trouble speaking my mind and coming up with things sometimes!"

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
The young pirates had more to learn, and not just fighting techniques in petticoats, although they did enjoy those bouts. They were all very skillful fighters: out of necessity, as some of their enemies were great and terrible indeed. Here was an opportunity to pit ones skills against another in a friendly way, and they were all so evenly matched that each bout was exercise indeed. Jack often laughed at Emma in petticoats, but her bouts with him, though playful and good-natured, taught him that she could work perfectly well in these clothes, and they certainly did not interfere with her sparkguns!

Maestra Lia began teaching them the dances they could expect at the ball. The great families of Valencia, she explained, set the fashions for their followers. There were the 'scholarly' families, both those who studied and those who carefully maintained all the elegance of old Valencia. Their fashions were often slim gowns with square necklines, with doublets and hose for the gentlemen, and their favored dances were the elegant basse dances, the artful balli, the lively galliarde -- and the slightly scandalous volta.

Other families were the moderati, balancing between old and new. The ladies of the moderati wore gowns with fuller skirts, high lace collars, and cuffs edged deep with beautiful needlelace as well -- not dissimilar to the gentlemen (save for the skirts, of course!). Here the dances became even more ballet-like, and the floor patterns critical to the dance -- the courant, the stately allemande, the energetic canario, the lively gigue.

Finally, there were the progressi, to which the Vinaldi family belonged (and curiously, one might realize, the design of the Armada was of this kind). The moderati dances were usually popular with them, to which was also added dances such as the looping, graceful figures of the minuet, the lovely sarabande, and others.

[You can see some of these dances on YouTube; look up 'baroque dance'. Ask parents first, of course]

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Lizzy laid sprawled out on the floor, gazing blankly at the ceiling as her stomach jumped up and down, gasping for some proper air through the confinements of the dress. She lifted her arms and spread out her limbs, trying to make more room for her oxygen, and after a few minutes finally reached a point where she could speak again.

"That was awful! I don't think I can fight in a dress like this!" She stood up (very shakily and unnaturally, as she needed to do some stunts just to stand upright) and sat down on a stool nearby. "I've an idea that might make this job easier. It doesn't involve any weapons and would be easier to do in a dance dress." Lizzy smiled. "Anybody know what Muay Thai is?"

~

Ooh, I love this form of fighting! I haven't found a need for it yet, but in real life I practice a type of martial arts called Muay Thai, which uses primarily knees and elbows, a style of fighting formed in Thailand. Lizzy/I has/have sharp elbows and our knees are easily the most powerful way to deliver a blow (think of linking your hands together behind the enemies neck, which you thrust to your knee while it's coming up with the force of a kick... brutal), in which case a center body balance is key to mastering this style of fighting. It's mainly stationary (I imagine an excellent advantage when one is confined in a corset) and uses ducking and dodging for those of us who aren't strong enough to block a blow. I think that this would be rather useful (and when Lizzy fought Clockwork Lizzy in Roleplay II, this was the fighting style she used alongside her daggers), but it's up to you guys whether or not you would like this to be the way that the pirate captains defend themselves.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Just Add Bacon on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:
Lizzy laid sprawled out on the floor, gazing blankly at the ceiling as her stomach jumped up and down, gasping for some proper air through the confinements of the dress. She lifted her arms and spread out her limbs, trying to make more room for her oxygen, and after a few minutes finally reached a point where she could speak again.

"That was awful! I don't think I can fight in a dress like this!" She stood up (very shakily and unnaturally, as she needed to do some stunts just to stand upright) and sat down on a stool nearby. "I've an idea that might make this job easier. It doesn't involve any weapons and would be easier to do in a dance dress." Lizzy smiled. "Anybody know what Muay Thai is?"

~

Ooh, I love this form of fighting! I haven't found a need for it yet, but in real life I practice a type of martial arts called Muay Thai, which uses primarily knees and elbows, a style of fighting formed in Thailand. Lizzy/I has/have sharp elbows and our knees are easily the most powerful way to deliver a blow (think of linking your hands together behind the enemies neck, which you thrust to your knee while it's coming up with the force of a kick... brutal), in which case a center body balance is key to mastering this style of fighting. It's mainly stationary (I imagine an excellent advantage when one is confined in a corset) and uses ducking and dodging for those of us who aren't strong enough to block a blow. I think that this would be rather useful (and when Lizzy fought Clockwork Lizzy in Roleplay II, this was the fighting style she used alongside her daggers), but it's up to you guys whether or not you would like this to be the way that the pirate captains defend themselves.
[OOC: A couple of notices,
First; That's an interesting idea Elizabeth, but I have always envisioned Scarlet's hand-to-hand fighting style a sort of brutal street brawling style full of nasty surprises. I don't think I've posted her backstory yet, but Scarlet was partially raised in a Polarian orphange and then by Albion Foxes. Basically, if she's fighting for her life, Scarlet fights very dirty, she has no honourable rules that govern her fighting, she will use any advantage she can get.
That said, when not fighting for her life, she does follow a much more honourable fencing code, she would never fight dirty in a friendly brawl against you guys.

Second, I'm going to be away for a few days (Thanksgiving!) and would appreciate if Anne could take over Scarlet till I get back. I think Anne understands Scarlet best, and beside, I really need Anne to design an appropriate dress for Scarlet, my knowledge of historical fashion is really lacking.]

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Just Add Bacon on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:

~

"Tired already Lizzy?" Scarlet asked in an amused sort of way. She had just finished the practice bout with Lizzy, and was almost laughing at the way Lizzy had collapsed at the end of it. "You use up too much energy while fighting Lizzy. May I teach you my form of fencing? You will need a rapier zough, it cannot be done wiz only daggers." Scarlet continued while sitting down beside Lizzy.

(OOC: I have to do a bit of research here. I sadly am not a fencing master like Scarlet, but I have heard and read a bit about one style of Italian (I think it was Italian) fencing that was designed to use as little energy while fighting as possible, while at the same time forcing the opponent to use as much energy as possible. This way Scarlet (or Lizzy, or Anne) would quickly exhaust their opponent without moving very much themselves. Supposedly, the fencing master who created this school of fencing was able to defeat 40 (I think) opponents in a single day using this technique.)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
(OOC: Happy Thanksgiving, Scarlet! Any color preferences for your gown?)

Quentin receives a letter:

Dear Quentin,

I hope this missive finds you well. And on a personal note, I hope that you are coming to my father's masked ball! These grand affairs can be so dull. I would welcome your lively conversation, and of course, that of your beautiful and intelligent fiancé, Valona, as well. It seems forever since those happy days when we sparred against each other representing our different schools; dueling, perhaps, but always in friendship.

And in friendship, I must give you a warning. My father, the Doge, has been asking very pointed questions about you, especially inquiring about potential activities in piracy. I have staunchly told him that you are one of the most law-abiding gentlemen I know, but he remains suspicious. I have no idea why. What have you been involved in? Do be careful, old friend.

Your friend and most obedient servant,

Orlando Foscari

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
"The third thing we must do," Magdelena told Sam, "is teach you to dance."

"Are you sure you've thought this through," Sam asked, "Is this absolutely necessary?"

"Everyone dances at a ball," the Unicorn declared decisively, ending the debate. Surprisingly he crew put together a makeshift band. Egg Shen played the recorder, and Emmett the fiddle. Subodai even produced a bodhran from somewhere. Even though the music wasn't of the proper repertorie, Magdelena pronounced their efforts a success.

It began with a choreographed dance, Amaroso. Sam just stood there while Magdelena performed a series of complex moves away from him, using her expressive body language to accent the flirtatious nature of the piece. Sam quickly lost any notion of balance or ability when he attempted to duplicate the steps on his own.

Sarah Steele bravely volunteered to assist as a stand in, and while she was capable of performing a few of the steps, poor Sam was hopeless. Sarah quickly bowed out scant minutes later to massage life back into her toes.

"Let's try something easier," Magdelena suggested, then showed Sam some basic steps. Sempio was only a step forward on the left foot, then followed by the right foot for the next sempio. Doppio was a step left, right, left, then bringing the right foot under the upraised heel of the left. This met with mild success.

"Let's try something else. Hmm. La Volta. In this dance you lift me by the stays."

"By your what!?"

"Fine then, put your hands on my waist." The sniggering began instantly from the crew as Sam turned beet red.

Ratbeard bowed to Bonnie Anne, El Toro bowed to Sarah Steele, and then the miscreants were off, twirling maniacally around the deck in imaginary patterns, laughing hysterically while the band played on.

"This may be harder than I thought," Magdelena mused. "But I could teach Umberto, I will teach you."

Sam swallowed hard. He'd rather be facing an Armada officer than his dance partner just now.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Sam Underhill on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
"The third thing we must do," Magdelena told Sam, "is teach you to dance."

"Are you sure you've thought this through," Sam asked, "Is this absolutely necessary?"

"Everyone dances at a ball," the Unicorn declared decisively, ending the debate. Surprisingly he crew put together a makeshift band. Egg Shen played the recorder, and Emmett the fiddle. Subodai even produced a bodhran from somewhere. Even though the music wasn't of the proper repertorie, Magdelena pronounced their efforts a success.

It began with a choreographed dance, Amaroso. Sam just stood there while Magdelena performed a series of complex moves away from him, using her expressive body language to accent the flirtatious nature of the piece. Sam quickly lost any notion of balance or ability when he attempted to duplicate the steps on his own.

Sarah Steele bravely volunteered to assist as a stand in, and while she was capable of performing a few of the steps, poor Sam was hopeless. Sarah quickly bowed out scant minutes later to massage life back into her toes.

"Let's try something easier," Magdelena suggested, then showed Sam some basic steps. Sempio was only a step forward on the left foot, then followed by the right foot for the next sempio. Doppio was a step left, right, left, then bringing the right foot under the upraised heel of the left. This met with mild success.

"Let's try something else. Hmm. La Volta. In this dance you lift me by the stays."

"By your what!?"

"Fine then, put your hands on my waist." The sniggering began instantly from the crew as Sam turned beet red.

Ratbeard bowed to Bonnie Anne, El Toro bowed to Sarah Steele, and then the miscreants were off, twirling maniacally around the deck in imaginary patterns, laughing hysterically while the band played on.

"This may be harder than I thought," Magdelena mused. "But I could teach Umberto, I will teach you."

Sam swallowed hard. He'd rather be facing an Armada officer than his dance partner just now.
OOC; Oh poor Sam . With my very limited dancing skills and frightfully bad balance I can totally relate. Thankfully my Chrissy's have much better reflexes than I do. I have become convinced that I am not a total, hopeless klutz, my being legally blind in my right eye is what messes with my depth perception and balance I am sure so I can blame it on that, lol. But in my dreams and in the spiral I am most graceful. x Bows to illustrate x

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
"Tired already Lizzy?" Scarlet asked in an amused sort of way. She had just finished the practice bout with Lizzy, and was almost laughing at the way Lizzy had collapsed at the end of it. "You use up too much energy while fighting Lizzy. May I teach you my form of fencing? You will need a rapier zough, it cannot be done wiz only daggers." Scarlet continued while sitting down beside Lizzy.

(OOC: I have to do a bit of research here. I sadly am not a fencing master like Scarlet, but I have heard and read a bit about one style of Italian (I think it was Italian) fencing that was designed to use as little energy while fighting as possible, while at the same time forcing the opponent to use as much energy as possible. This way Scarlet (or Lizzy, or Anne) would quickly exhaust their opponent without moving very much themselves. Supposedly, the fencing master who created this school of fencing was able to defeat 40 (I think) opponents in a single day using this technique.)
Anne was delighted by everything she was learning, not only from the Valencian teachers, but her fellow pirates as well. She had known some of the techniques Lizzy used -- in fact had to learn them early on! When you are among the smallest in a village full of the children of rival Ninja Pig factions, you learn very quickly to use every body resource you can muster. However, Elizabeth's techniques were more methodical and sometimes surprising. Anne felt these techniques would be especially useful if one was cornered in a narrow place, where her usual style of fighting would be seriously hampered. She eagerly accepted bout after bout with Elizabeth, even though it often ended in bruises or a black eye from Elizabeth's famous elbows (!), or with Lizzy breathless with laughter after Anne playfully cheated and began tickling her.

(And Lizzy wouldn't be too confined in half-boned stays, but the stays would support her center of gravity all the better, so this technique would be very effective in her present garments)

Scarlet's technique was also fascinating to Anne. Anne's usual fighting technique was more that of a stinging insect, darting about, being very difficult to catch, laughing at the enemy while she did so. It usually worked very well since Anne had nearly boundless energy, not to mention the knack of irritating an adversary into a mistake. But high energy or not, she couldn't outlast Scarlet, and certainly couldn't annoy her (by this time, Scarlet knew Anne quite well). Anne quickly realized that Scarlet's technique too was exceptionally useful for fighting in less than open places. Such a technique not only allowed one to be even more watchful, it was much better for fending off multiple enemies at a time. Anne determined that she would learn as much of Scarlet's technique as possible, and incorporate it into her own.

Anne soon learned, however, that she couldn't match Emma at her weapons. In a fight with blades, yes, but Emma was a true expert with a sparkgun, whether pistol or rifle. Anne could shoot a pistol competently enough, once she had taken a moment to aim, but Emma could swiftly draw from her holster or slide a rifle off her back and fire accurately at a target all in one motion. Anne was quite sure she would run the risk of hitting her foot if she tried this for real, as she realized from practicing she could not quite mimic Emma's moves.

(Jack, Chrissy, what are your specialties?)

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
(OOC: Happy Thanksgiving, Scarlet! Any color preferences for your gown?)

Quentin receives a letter:

Dear Quentin,

I hope this missive finds you well. And on a personal note, I hope that you are coming to my father's masked ball! These grand affairs can be so dull. I would welcome your lively conversation, and of course, that of your beautiful and intelligent fiancé, Valona, as well. It seems forever since those happy days when we sparred against each other representing our different schools; dueling, perhaps, but always in friendship.

And in friendship, I must give you a warning. My father, the Doge, has been asking very pointed questions about you, especially inquiring about potential activities in piracy. I have staunchly told him that you are one of the most law-abiding gentlemen I know, but he remains suspicious. I have no idea why. What have you been involved in? Do be careful, old friend.

Your friend and most obedient servant,

Orlando Foscari
Valona : What an opportunity.

Quentin : Indeed, the best time to save the Vinaldi family.

Bernard : But what about the Doge?

Quentin : Simple, I'll ask him if he supports the Armada, and if he says yes, we would have to make him "disappear".

Griffin : And the Armada spies assigned to the Vinaldi family?

Quentin : Make them "disappear" as well.

Alexander : Wait Quentin, you have a date to go to the ball. Where are we supposed to get dates?

Valona : Alexander, you remember your clingy girlfriend Arlecchino Burlone.

Alexander : NO, NOT HER, I WOULD RATHER BE HANGED THAN DATE THAT STALKER!

Quentin : She has changed Alexander, she decided she won't be so clingy anymore.

Alexander : Oh, OK.

Valona : Griffin, remember that Polarian girl from the spa that gave you Polarian Acupuncture?

Griffin: I love a girl who can deliver pain to pain, I still have the scars to prove it to. I never felt so relaxed after visiting her. What was her name again?

Quentin: Alleviare Pena.

Bernard : I dated a spy once, she had a kick butt attitude, but she has a heart of gold.

??? : Awe, thanks darling.

Bernard : Oh, Spia Spionaggio, what a surprise.

Spia : I was wondering if you would come to the masked ball with me.

Bernard : I was about to ask you that.

Sia : Then it's a date.

Noah: I'll go with Gracie Conrad

Everyone Else:

Noah : What? I like girls with high I.Q.s.

Quentin : O-K?

Valona : OK, all that's left is the wardrobe.

Quentin : I got just the outfits -opens wardrobe-

Bernard : Steam Punk? Amazing, it has both style and function.

Quentin : Plus it's a lot easier to fight while wearing these outfits.

After they all got dressed in their best outfits Quentin and Valona headed for Padova, while Quentin's brothers went to go pick up their girlfriends.

Ensign
May 31, 2012
I watched the fights with interest. These pirates seemed pretty good, although a few fights ended up in a tickle contest (rather hilarious, I might add), but I had my doubts about how it would hold up in a real brawl against Zeus knows how many clockworks. I knew I could handle myself, as could Emma, but I couldn't be sure of the others until I saw them in action. With that in mind, I took the opportunity to do private, one-on-one fights with them. I thought it rather funny when, after one fight, my previous opponent (Lizzie) tried to warn my next opponent (Scarlet) of my techniques. That second fight was short and funny, especially so since she did not know I changed my fighting style every time. With Lizzie, I had matched her style and worn her down until she made a mistake (it took quite a while). Scarlet had been ready for it, and went into her offensive ready for that. Instead, I had been brutal, disregarding my safety (or so it seemed) and overwhelming her. That fight had lasted, I dunno, maybe a minute? She'd been a lot more cautious with me ever since.

(Jack's tactics, as I described above, change every time he fights. All you can count on is that he moves really fast! He's not to good at fighting magic users, but excels at fighting groups, and isn't too shabby in one-on-one fights either.)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Quentin Atherton on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
Valona : What an opportunity.

Quentin : Indeed, the best time to save the Vinaldi family.

Bernard : But what about the Doge?

Quentin : Simple, I'll ask him if he supports the Armada, and if he says yes, we would have to make him "disappear".

Griffin : And the Armada spies assigned to the Vinaldi family?

Quentin : Make them "disappear" as well.

Alexander : Wait Quentin, you have a date to go to the ball. Where are we supposed to get dates?

Valona : Alexander, you remember your clingy girlfriend Arlecchino Burlone.

Alexander : NO, NOT HER, I WOULD RATHER BE HANGED THAN DATE THAT STALKER!

Quentin : She has changed Alexander, she decided she won't be so clingy anymore.

Alexander : Oh, OK.

Valona : Griffin, remember that Polarian girl from the spa that gave you Polarian Acupuncture?

Griffin: I love a girl who can deliver pain to pain, I still have the scars to prove it to. I never felt so relaxed after visiting her. What was her name again?

Quentin: Alleviare Pena.

Bernard : I dated a spy once, she had a kick butt attitude, but she has a heart of gold.

??? : Awe, thanks darling.

Bernard : Oh, Spia Spionaggio, what a surprise.

Spia : I was wondering if you would come to the masked ball with me.

Bernard : I was about to ask you that.

Sia : Then it's a date.

Noah: I'll go with Gracie Conrad

Everyone Else:

Noah : What? I like girls with high I.Q.s.

Quentin : O-K?

Valona : OK, all that's left is the wardrobe.

Quentin : I got just the outfits -opens wardrobe-

Bernard : Steam Punk? Amazing, it has both style and function.

Quentin : Plus it's a lot easier to fight while wearing these outfits.

After they all got dressed in their best outfits Quentin and Valona headed for Padova, while Quentin's brothers went to go pick up their girlfriends.
OOC: oops, sorry Quentin, I wasn't clear: the invitation was for Quentin and Valona only; though I did enjoy all the brothers' responses you wrote. (You got the invitation in particular because of your friendship with the Doge's son.) The reason I am limiting everyone to one character (in your case, two) is that I do want to make the adventure have elements that personally interact with each of the players, which I hope would be more fun. It is not a random melee sort of story (I hope).

And, by the way, you know the Doge of Padova supports the Armada -- his son Orlando told you so at the very least, which is a good clue to you that the Doge's support is not in name only. You don't know the Vinaldi's family is in trouble -- at least not yet. But as a Valencian, you know that few people denounce the Armada openly. It is those who protest who tend to 'disappear'. (sadly) And as for the Doge, well, you know that (a) he supports the Armada, (b) he is suspicious that you are a pirate and thus likely linked in with the Resistance (very often supporters of the Resistance are simply labeled 'pirates' -- so much easier to execute them then, isn't it?). Other than that, you don't know him at all, other than he is surely wealthy and powerful. As a Valencian, you might realize that there may be more to the politics here than meets the eye...