Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Reasons to Love Marleybone

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Hola, amigos! Can I get you some pomegranate tea and Jaffa tarts? Oh, please make yourself comfortable and enjoy what treats I've laid out on the table.

Well, I wanted to discuss Marleybone, seeing as today I took my first venture there! (For real, I mean, not when farming and stuff for once...) I'm happy to be in this world, and I already love Gracie to death. (She joined my crew very recently.) I wanted to know your reasons to love the war zone, I mean, um, world....

1. Gracie is there. -hugs Gracie tightly-
Gracie sighs but doesn't bother in pushing me off.

2. It's beautiful and awesome sauce!

3. The plot is well done, the dungeons are fun, and the taverns are gorgeous... I need to get one like it!

What makes you love Marleybone? (Hint: For me, Gracie.)

Ciao!

Ensign
Jul 05, 2012
Mmmm... This pomegranate tea is simply delicious, you must tell me your recipe!

I adore Marleybone very much, it has been my favorite world in this whole grand adventure. The war-torn atmosphere reminded me of London in the Blitz, and I got to thinking maybe the armada isn't only supposed to represent the Spanish armada, but also Nazi Germany in WW2. Anyway, aside from the amazing artwork and the mood-setting sound effects (like the sound of the guns firing whenever you grew near to Beachhead), what I enjoyed most was the insight into the main story arc. Each skyway has its own sort of sub storyline, with the main storyline dealing with finding the map and fighting the armada over-arcing them. In Marleybone is the first time that we get to actively progress in the main storyline. We openly fight with the armada court and discover a lot of information about the main arc. Things like fighting with Rooke, the end of Bishop's puppet show, and the general of the Kurgahs saying that he knew your parents really make it feel like the story is going somewhere (unlike in Cool Ranch where we had to go through five unrelated sub-arcs just to get one map piece). Aside from that, I enjoyed the steam punk clothing style, the in-depth promotion quests (Bonney's particularly), and all the Dr. Who references.

Thanks for the Tarts!
-Fair Charlotte Firth, Level 54 Musketeer

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
The military part of marleybone, and gracie, she was my favorite until cutthroat bundle, but the skyway is just amazing, it's always night there, and it feels slightly modern, with all the machinery, and highlander, I love your post's, they are always great, can we meet in game?

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Marleybone has recently became my favorite world for several reasons:

1.The scenery is a masterpiece.

2. The music is beautiful.

3.The companions are epic (aside from the crokogator which is a bit of a letdown, but I plan to buy a another marlebonian).

4. The enemies are a good challenge.

and finally...
5. BISHOP IS AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there they are. I just love your messages Highlander Fox.

Impish Omar Underwood

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Marleybone has always been my favorite world, even in W101.
In Marleybone you can see what it was like in Wartime britain during the first and or second world wars. A lot of theft is taking place, also some smuggling in Marleybone, but shouldn't be much of a surprise sinse that happens all around the world.

Reasons why I love marley bone, Good scenes, awesome character designs, and how it's night time gives it a dramaticfeeling, like something might happen at any moment. The music sometimes makes it feel like something is gonna pop out of no where, like a cat thief, and fight you.

Ensign
Apr 12, 2010
Marleybone has a nice fresh new look to me. Night time. A cool Dickens look in town. Fog is nice. Quests are pretty funny and engaging. All awesome!

Lieutenant
May 21, 2009
Marleybone is brilliantly plotted, there is an entire area crawling in Doctor Who references, and the companions are beyond brilliant. My personal favorite from the whole thing is Catbeard. He's hilarious...

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
I am a big fan of the redcoats and others in the Marleybonian Navy. This is partly because I am a Privateer and The Commodore (my class teacher) was once in the navy.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2011
Petty Officer
Aug 04, 2010
I love marleybone because of it's setting.

Ensign
Jan 06, 2011
So many people before me have 'stolen' my reasons, but I'll go ahead and state them anyways:
  1. I've always considered myself a military-oriented bowl of awesome sauce, and Marleybone is all about helping a war effort. Would you like some fries with that awesome sauce?
  2. The lighting and sound effects are absolutely ah-mazing. I love how when you're in the sewers and someone talks, their voice sounds all echoey. I also love how it's got this 'everyone's just waking up' sort of vibe with the lighting and all. It's like a premonition of the great adventures to come.
  3. Two words: Armada goons. At the beginning of the game, I chose that the Armada killed my parents for aiding the Resistance. There are plenty of instances in Marleybone where Gaspard and I got a chance to avenge my parents together, especially with him being my 'tank' for a few epic battles where Ratbeard had been knocked unconscious earlier. ;)
  4. Speaking of Ratbeard, his promotion quest is the best promotion quest ever. A Christmas Carol has always been one of my favorite stories, so I couldn't help obsessing when I realized exactly what was going on.
Those are just my top four reasons to love Marleybone. I can think of a lot more.

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
marleybone eh? very good question well i like marleybone cause

1.beachead nothing like blowing up some old cannon with some dyanmite
2.the loving music
3.catbeard saying get me outta here!
4.unquie bulding structers

thats it oh and see yo the skyways

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
For the reasons frequently already stated: well-plotted adventure, ominous, war-torn skyway, the beautiful rendering of the town, poor catbeard, etc. Plus it is the most pirate-y of the worlds after Skull Island.

-Indigo

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I too love Marleybone for all the reasons stated. I love to go to the windows -like in Scrooge's mansion- and stare out the rain-spotted windows, observing the beautiful misty vista while surrounded by the comfort of a well-stocked library. Or as I am aboard ship in the skyway, looking up at the twinkling stars (though the ominous explosion of a mortar in the distance reminds you that not all is well!). I love the warm hearths and cozy period-ish homes. But I also really like the aura of danger and menace (from so many directions!)

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Aug 16, 2013 wrote:
I too love Marleybone for all the reasons stated. I love to go to the windows -like in Scrooge's mansion- and stare out the rain-spotted windows, observing the beautiful misty vista while surrounded by the comfort of a well-stocked library. Or as I am aboard ship in the skyway, looking up at the twinkling stars (though the ominous explosion of a mortar in the distance reminds you that not all is well!). I love the warm hearths and cozy period-ish homes. But I also really like the aura of danger and menace (from so many directions!)

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Lol, I am glad I am not the only one that loves to stand in Scrooge's library and look out the window. Well said Anne, No surprise there but well said and an echo from my heart.

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
One word:ORPHANS. They are just SO adorable, I just want to hug one and squze it to death! ( ki should make a stuffed animal out of the orphans )

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Jul 15, 2013 wrote:
Hola, amigos! Can I get you some pomegranate tea and Jaffa tarts? Oh, please make yourself comfortable and enjoy what treats I've laid out on the table.

Well, I wanted to discuss Marleybone, seeing as today I took my first venture there! (For real, I mean, not when farming and stuff for once...) I'm happy to be in this world, and I already love Gracie to death. (She joined my crew very recently.) I wanted to know your reasons to love the war zone, I mean, um, world....

3. The plot is well done, the dungeons are fun, and the taverns are gorgeous... I need to get one like it!

Ciao!
o my goodness....

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
pirate101 lover on Nov 6, 2013 wrote:
One word:ORPHANS. They are just SO adorable, I just want to hug one and squze it to death! ( ki should make a stuffed animal out of the orphans )
OH there ya go The perfect Christmas idea or stocking stuffer, although I suspect it is way too late for production this year. Hey KingsIsle. How about adding orphans to the Tee Shirt collection?.

Ensign
Nov 11, 2013
Beachhead is awesome!!!! I'm not even in Marleybone yet and already know that beachhead will be my favorite dungeon!

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
OMG The quest is SO much fun! That's the awesome part! Especially Ratbeard's promo!

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
Firstly, I am highly allergic to pomegranates, so I can't have any of that. Water will suffice. Now hand me some Jaffa Cakes!!

I really love Marleybone.

1. Dogs. Cuz they're DOGS.

2. The Beach on the Isle of Fetch

3. Gracie. Cuz she's Gracie

Where have you been?? I haven't seen you on the Message Board in a while!

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
Lady Lightning on Aug 4, 2013 wrote:
So many people before me have 'stolen' my reasons, but I'll go ahead and state them anyways:
  1. I've always considered myself a military-oriented bowl of awesome sauce, and Marleybone is all about helping a war effort. Would you like some fries with that awesome sauce?
  2. The lighting and sound effects are absolutely ah-mazing. I love how when you're in the sewers and someone talks, their voice sounds all echoey. I also love how it's got this 'everyone's just waking up' sort of vibe with the lighting and all. It's like a premonition of the great adventures to come.
  3. Two words: Armada goons. At the beginning of the game, I chose that the Armada killed my parents for aiding the Resistance. There are plenty of instances in Marleybone where Gaspard and I got a chance to avenge my parents together, especially with him being my 'tank' for a few epic battles where Ratbeard had been knocked unconscious earlier. ;)
  4. Speaking of Ratbeard, his promotion quest is the best promotion quest ever. A Christmas Carol has always been one of my favorite stories, so I couldn't help obsessing when I realized exactly what was going on.
Those are just my top four reasons to love Marleybone. I can think of a lot more.
I think that kinda explains my bad luck in attacking ships. I chose shipwrecked at the beginning of the game and since then, ship combat for me has either resulted in me being lucky in broadside combat or complete obliteration (of myself, of course)

Ensign
Sep 12, 2009
I always loved Marleybone because of how it takes place in the steampunk era!

Because in the armada beachhead, there are some futuristic machines there when Marleybone takes place between 1890-1910!

But I don't know which year it's actually in.

Jordan Armstrong - lvl 54

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
In my opinion, it's the best world in the entire 'story' so far in Pirate 101. A big round of applause whoever worked on the development of Marleybone because they did a fantastic job on that tragic chapter.

What is there not to like about MB?

There is...
  1. -Memorable boss battles( Bishop, Rorke even though he was an expendable character when he died, Red Fox, and more)
  2. -Several good story-lines ( Bonnie Anne 4th tier promotion, Armada invasion of the Isle of Fetch, Radicals trying to undermine Marleybone's power)
  3. - Probably the best overall musical score ( MB Broadside combat theme is my absolute favorite theme in the entire game. Beautifully crafted.)
  4. - A right amount of challenge and length ( Not frustrating or painfully long like Cool Ranch or completely easy like Monquista.)
  5. - Nice scenery and classic references.
  6. - Finally, Pvt. Mills( My favorite musketeer in the game). Oh. There's Gracie. Can't forget about her...I think.

I must confess, coming out of the stormgate to see the ruins of the Marleybone's fleet for the first time left a bitter taste in my mouth. I know some NPC admitted that MB is losing the war but I didn't believe it was that bad. It's like all fun and games are over at this point. It was time to get serious to defe- no, destroy the Armada once and for all.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 12, 2010
Highlander Fox of ... on Jul 15, 2013 wrote:

Ciao!
Ah, all of these apply to my eyes and heart as well. The details that you listed are tremendously correct! Whats not to love about Marleybone!

Here are some that apply to that you didn't mention.
1. It's music and songs are so profound! So outstanding!
2. The cats and dogs that are also orphans would just walk up to you.
3. The time spent in there is so perfect!
4. The companions that one would receive are so decent!
5. The housing items are so decent!
and 6. The ships (mostly galleons) are so likable!

Slick Luke Noble, Lvl. 56 Musketeer
Strong Andy Armstrong, Lvl. 65 Privateer