Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Increased difficulty at higher levels? Why?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 31, 2010
I was looking through the patch notes, and one of the things listed is that combat difficulty has been increased at higher levels. I didn't think much of this, until I had time to play this evening. I'm not sure who this balance change was made for... but it clearly isn't me. I got as far as the quest for Egg Foo Yung. I even managed to slog through to the third level of the tower. And when the karate goats managed to almost completely defeat one of my strongest companions in the *first turn* with a series of Mega Hits ripostes, and then the crane did a Super Heal and erased what little damage I had inflicted, I just logged out.

If the goal is to force people to team, I'm not sure why anyone feels this should be necessary. Teaming should be an option for people that WANT to team, not something mandatory to even progress. Yes, even in an MMO. And the simple fact is, I'm not going to team up. If I have to choose between forced teaming, and not playing, I won't play. I pretty much quit trying to advance my Wizard past the beginning of Celestia for the same reason.

For the people that *like* this kind of "challenge," well, congratulations. You can have it. Personally, I'd rather spend my entertainment time doing something that feels less like trying to break down a cinder block wall with my face.

(And no, the problem is not that my crew isn't leveled up. I'm level 54, and all of my crew are level 51, with a few at 52 and even one at 56.)

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
ShadowsBetween on Jun 2, 2013 wrote:
I was looking through the patch notes, and one of the things listed is that combat difficulty has been increased at higher levels. I didn't think much of this, until I had time to play this evening. I'm not sure who this balance change was made for... but it clearly isn't me. I got as far as the quest for Egg Foo Yung. I even managed to slog through to the third level of the tower. And when the karate goats managed to almost completely defeat one of my strongest companions in the *first turn* with a series of Mega Hits ripostes, and then the crane did a Super Heal and erased what little damage I had inflicted, I just logged out.

If the goal is to force people to team, I'm not sure why anyone feels this should be necessary. Teaming should be an option for people that WANT to team, not something mandatory to even progress. Yes, even in an MMO. And the simple fact is, I'm not going to team up. If I have to choose between forced teaming, and not playing, I won't play. I pretty much quit trying to advance my Wizard past the beginning of Celestia for the same reason.

For the people that *like* this kind of "challenge," well, congratulations. You can have it. Personally, I'd rather spend my entertainment time doing something that feels less like trying to break down a cinder block wall with my face.

(And no, the problem is not that my crew isn't leveled up. I'm level 54, and all of my crew are level 51, with a few at 52 and even one at 56.)
my guess,
before marleybone was released, the max lvl was 50... after the realease it increased to 65.
at one point during moshu, you would be doing a ton of main quest at lvl 50 without leveling up... now that the max lvl is 65 you can probably get to lvl 55 before you reach marleybone.......

the increase in difficulty for higher lvl must be to ajust the new max lvl to the latest battles in moshu... just my guess

after all if we were able to finish moshu at lvl 50, reaching lvl 55 would be making moshu way to easy!

Petty Officer
Jan 10, 2013
Player Class/HP/Companion chosen for the fight?

I'm a level 52 Privateer and found no trouble advanced through the tower. It does take a few tries, but the trick is to find the enemy who has this healing talent/buff(?) (hover over the enemy to find his talents and buffs) and knock him down first. Also, remember that the tower is a dungeon - when you're done with a tower and has little HP left, go to a Life Fountain and heal a bit. You can go back and start from where you left off, as long as you're not outside for more than 30 minutes.

Petty Officer
Feb 13, 2013
ShadowsBetween on Jun 2, 2013 wrote:

Have no idea what ki was think when doing this.Wait until you end up doing two battle sin one sitting(don't mean fort basset)

Ensign
Feb 28, 2011
thank you for addressing this issue, I have been looking all over the boards for someone who feels the way i do....I don't understand why I get 1 attack chance on enemy, but enemy gets up to 5 on me and companions...i sat and counted one battle during general tso, the samoori had 5 hits to my one, so me and companions fall easily..i'm level 48 buccaneer and have not come close yet to beating general tso quest....and i really don't like playing with other players either...i think it is harder, because they come with another 5 enemies to battle too, and sometimes they are levels lower than i am and i watch them sit back and expect me to win entire battle for them....i was really liking this game...play almost everyday...but now alittle put off and disappointed by how difficult it is to win some of these battles.

Ensign
Nov 15, 2009
ShadowsBetween, in all MMOs you have to expect to have an increase of difficulty level at some point, you can't just keep it at the same level always, there is "No Action" in that and there is "No Thinking" (those who played or have play chess they know what I mean) . When Marleybone and Aquila went live, I did too had problems with the mobs difficulty level but that didn't stopped me.

I used many Companion Training Points to level my Companions as close as my level and I also bought some extra with Gold. And an advice when you train your Companions: Train them "Epics" that are most helpful during your battles, which your Companions could put them in good use and train them "New Talents" that will power your Companions, you can get more advices from "Pirate101 Central".

I also got defeated few times but I managed to win the battle by planing my battles depending of what Companions I get when the fight starts. Oh not to forget that I am (Privateer) so I don't know if that plays a role winning battles by going Solo.

As I said above, I do like play Solo but that doesn't stop me from helping other players around me or thanking them when they help me in difficult situation during an open area battle or dungeons (of course is polite to ask before you enter a battle ).

It has been, what, a month now that Marleybone and Aquila went Live? I am already level 64 (close to 65 though) and I play around few hours almost per day, this shows that it is not so difficult if you planning your battles, in Test was much more difficult especially boss battles (Rook was truly a "Fort" when you tried to get closer to him ).

I have to say, give few more tries after you read some advices from "Pirate101 Central" and you will see what wonderful Pirate101 can be. One last thing, Bonnie Anne is a very good choice to always have her around when she learn her new "Epic Talent".

p.s. My apologies for the long post I hope that I didn't tired anyone

Lieutenant
Feb 20, 2010
Ki hopes rightfully that your tactical skills increase the longer you play, y thus harder higher worlds.
P.S. TO the person who moderates this, have a awesome day! You rock!