Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Utterly Ridiculous

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 06, 2012
What should have been a simple battle in Flotsam was utterly ridiculous. To start off the odds were 5 to 3 in favor of the enemy. Even though they were two levels below the three of us, they were constantly hitting for more points than my characters.

I am very displeased with these new combats in Marleybone, especially after not having lost battles for the last 20 to 30 levels!

The developers get an F in my book!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I think a lot of us were never losing combats, which KI took as an indication that maybe the difficulty needed to be increased. Certainly my three pirates that hit level 50 prior to the new updates had an easier time of it than any of my wizards who have hit 50+ in Wizard101. It is a bit of a rude shock, though, to suddenly be thumped after a loooong string of uniterrupted victories. But a true pirate with saltwater (salt aether?) in his or her veins should rise to the occasion!

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
I think I know which fight you are referring to, I also was outmatched 3 to 5. I had my Buccaneer and 2 other melee companions with me, and the enemy were all musketeers. I decided the odds were not in my favor, so i fled, rearranged my companions so that I would have better odds of musketeers joining, and also made my first mate a musketeer. When I re-entered, I was lucky enough to get 3 companions joining me as well as my pet. I tried and succeeded, although it was a pretty tough fight. Maybe try out some of these tactics and you will be able to make it. good luck!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Aye matey. I lost as well for the first time in a gazillion years. And you know what? I'm glad. Not knowing if you are going to survive a battle makes it exciting and more satisfying when you win. It also helps you develop more potent strategies for future quests and pvp encounters. If you know you will win every single battle it gets boring and pointless. Now when I go into battles I have that "butterflies in my stomach" feeling and it makes the game much more enjoyable. I like it this way. Otherwise you might as well just be watching cartoons.
Wicked Erin, Swashbuckler Supreme

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2010
I am very happy with the new AI for NPC's. I was happy to almost get beaten for a few battles thus far but still have yet to lose. I have been down to just me and 1 npc and lived to win the battle by 10 hp. It actually gave me a thrill to get so close and win. Now if i had lost i would have thought otherwise but i didnt and i continue on my journey to defeat pirates around the world. Kudos to KI for improving difficulty and AI. They improved how the NPC's do battle, they dont just randomly attack anymore, they go after the lowest HP pirate on yer crew. This shouldnt be a surprise to anyone it was much needed. Keep up the good work KI.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Developers get an F?

Me thinks you need to look in a mirror first and determine what you could do better first. Most people I see, use the wrong gear, the wrong ring, charms, & tokens. Most people are not using the correct first mate, then they complain that they keep dying and that it's too hard.

Of course the game is hard if all you do is want health boosts, health boosts don't help if you don't have the accuracy to hit or the dodge boost to get out of the way of attacks.

There are many places to find hints, tips, and tricks to this game, this game can be done solo by any class or in a group.

Ensign
May 22, 2013
I have to say I agree that it was exciting to come so close to losing. Usually I don't worry about winning which is really nice since the game does involve a lot of walking and traveling around. But once in while its nice to have tough opponents to beat. I've even made a few friends this way by asking for help with battles. Sometimes its a pain if you cant find help or really wanna win and your characters aren't strong enough. I get frustrated then too. But its not hard to go and do another quest and build up then return to the one that gave trouble.
I'd say overall I'm quite happy with the set-up as is now. I wouldn't make all the opponents this challenging but I was glad for the tough fight here. Really did up the excitement. So for me, game still has full stars.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
Old Pirate on May 30, 2013 wrote:
What should have been a simple battle in Flotsam was utterly ridiculous. To start off the odds were 5 to 3 in favor of the enemy. Even though they were two levels below the three of us, they were constantly hitting for more points than my characters.

I am very displeased with these new combats in Marleybone, especially after not having lost battles for the last 20 to 30 levels!

The developers get an F in my book!

5 to 3 is not bad at all. later on your going to see 8-12 vs your 3-4 (sometimes its all casters lol) sometimes its a map that starts with 7 then more come no time to use a bottle or anything no new cards. make sure you have all card giving gear in all your slots :-) me being a buck has saved me so much headache.

cheers.

Ensign
Dec 06, 2012
The "F" was for frustrating - the best description of the one hour during which I lost four battles. The huge change from the earlier levels was not expected. However, I think I have adjusted my thinking and I promise not to flog the programmers with my wheel chair.

Ensign
Nov 22, 2010
Sorry, the battle in Flotsam was hard? I didn't find it so and yes, the odds were the same.

Tactics and strategy are the key factors to this game. I can see to some extent why KI toned the new worlds down. I know that some of my other characters are going to find this battle hard but you can just about take a Privateer anywhere and win.

Finding and finishing all side quests BEFORE progressing to new worlds is a must. You need the XP and tactical battle experience.

Ensign
Dec 06, 2012
The battle in Flotsam was supposed to be a side quest after defeating the Bishop once and losing three times in a row. These were not easy quests at all for a Witchdoctor and I eventually got through them. I am used to 3 against 4, but that was the first time I encountered a 3 on 5 battle and it seemed that the Radical foxes were more difficult than usual. I have not had any problem after that and I was able to defeat Rooke without too much trouble.

The biggest help was a change in my expectations.