Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Childhood given up for a answer?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 13, 2012
So it turns out in order to get an answer as to where argos the Cyclops is in aquila, we have to give up the memoires of the first 5 years of our life, which means forgetting about our parents. On Pirate101 central there is a thread called ''Childhood given up for a answer'' by flash33 I don't think that you should forget 5 years of our life I think that we should fight a boss to get the answer instead of forgetting 5 years just for one answer is this going to mess up the storyline? I know are presidio companion will remember some of it...

Ensign
Jan 02, 2012
Hi guys! I was reading flash33's thread over on P101C about how you have to give up 5 years of your pirate's childhood for an answer. I don't like that idea so is it possible there could be a way where you could pick yes or no, and if you pick no, can there be a way around it, like fighting the snake guy, you can make him a cheater, and you can use 3 companions of your choice? Thanks!

Hardy Hunter Hawkins (HHH) Level 50 Bucc

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Disloyal1 on May 6, 2013 wrote:
So it turns out in order to get an answer as to where argos the Cyclops is in aquila, we have to give up the memoires of the first 5 years of our life, which means forgetting about our parents. On Pirate101 central there is a thread called ''Childhood given up for a answer'' by flash33 I don't think that you should forget 5 years of our life I think that we should fight a boss to get the answer instead of forgetting 5 years just for one answer is this going to mess up the storyline? I know are presidio companion will remember some of it...
whenever the Armada took them away... Keep adding onto this story!

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
I actually like this whole "giving up the memories of the first five years of our life." The PC has done a lot of questionable and just plain wrong things for selfish reasons. While the war in MB was to obtain another map piece and rescue Mustang Sally, along with Napoleguin, like El Toro said: "There must of been a better way."

Bonnie Anne also reminds us how terrible the war we started really was. Countless lives were lost, many beautiful places and homes were destroyed because of us. While Ratbeard always tries to explain how the whole thing was Catbeard's fault, him along with our entire crew and ourselves, know it was just as much our fault as it was Catbeard's.

While we do turn the tide of the war by defeating Rooke, that doesn't change the fact we destroyed nearly an entire realm.

When the PC gives up the memories of the first five years of their life that is how they make amends for what they did. The PC's goal was to find their parents' tomb and avenge them, but the PC also realizes they've done some very stupid and terrible things, that they know was not right. Giving up those five years was a selfless act by the PC, putting what's best for the Spiral before their own personal agendas.

I'd be extremely disappointed if Ki changed that.

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
yea do you think that 5 years is worth 1 MINUTE seriously what the heck kingsile? like what if one of are companions say something important a minute ago like
ratbeard:captain i acidently called the armada but ay we got a lot of clockworks before we can do it
seriously 5 years for one miniute
i think its should be at least 5 minutes

Community Leader
I'm not a fan of this as it stands now... however, I'd be quite happy with the storyline if there were a way of getting those memories back at some point. As it is though, looking at my little 5 year old and playing a game where someone's memories of their first 5 years get wiped is a bit too dark and leaves me feeling a bit like I've been punched in the gut. I hope there's a plan down the line to redeem that loss.

Community Leader
Timeline here seems to be a bit confusing.

"5 years of my childhood" doesnt seem to cover to anything that we have done in the game, it would have to be past memories. It would have nothing to do with forgetting what errors we have made as we progressed. (unless we assume our pirates themselves are kids, which I do not).

Just dont see how this is plays into the storyline.

At this point I say be gone with them, I already cant remember them! ;)

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
thatonevalenciansw... on May 7, 2013 wrote:
yea do you think that 5 years is worth 1 MINUTE seriously what the heck kingsile? like what if one of are companions say something important a minute ago like
ratbeard:captain i acidently called the armada but ay we got a lot of clockworks before we can do it
seriously 5 years for one miniute
i think its should be at least 5 minutes
What you just said is really irrelevant to what the OP is talking about. Just because something is long doesn't mean it isn't significant. A minute has nothing to do with this and you don't seem to understand what this thread is about.
An answer can mean the difference between life or death. The PC has done many unexplainable things they cannot justify. One of those acts was starting the war.

When the PC gave up those five years, they weren't doing it for just an answer. They were putting what's best for the Spiral over their own personal agendas. We may be pirates, but that doesn't mean we don't know the difference between right or wrong...

Lucas Walker

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
HardyHunterHawkins on May 6, 2013 wrote:
Hi guys! I was reading flash33's thread over on P101C about how you have to give up 5 years of your pirate's childhood for an answer. I don't like that idea so is it possible there could be a way where you could pick yes or no, and if you pick no, can there be a way around it, like fighting the snake guy, you can make him a cheater, and you can use 3 companions of your choice? Thanks!

Hardy Hunter Hawkins (HHH) Level 50 Bucc
I'm sorry, but I have to say no with this. Giving up something like this shouldn't be left up to the players. Aside from playing your character, imagine what it'd be like in their position. Think about all the horrible things the PC has done, regardless of how many good things they've done. Starting a war that devastated an entire realm, kidnapping, etc.
If all that on was my shoulders, I'd definitely look for a way to set things right. TBH, if I were in the PC's position, I'd end up giving up the memories of the first five years of my life too.

Lucas Walker

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
This is really gonna effect our meeting with our parent's ghosts, meeting our foster parents, and remembering anything about our origins. This has to have some connection with our foster parents later on.

Petty Officer
Jan 10, 2013
Our brains doesn't remember much about our early ages, from us being babies up to 3 years old, so you really are only trading 2 years of what we actually remember.

Unless there is a trick...

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Yeah, I will agree that giving up 5 years just for one answer does seem a bit steep as we end up forgetting our parents in the process, but like lucky jack Russell says, it's probably what our parents would have wanted as it is the way to the map and el dorado after all, so there's that. Who knows, maybe somewhere down the road/line we'll find a way to get our memories back, perhaps in el dorado even, so there's that at least.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
now there are two ways I see this event playing out, and both would be very important to the story.

1. The Cyclops may have a secret agenda with the armada, and these memories could be useful to the PC. Remember how in the Marco Pollo photograph we saw the PC's mom? Maybe the PC saw the map piece as a toddler and may subliminally know where the piece is. BUT, wit these memories locked away, that gives the armada more time to search for the piece and us without any leads.

2.Something similar to the first, but this could lead us back to our foster parents. If these memories prove valuable, then the PC may have to go to the one person (or people) who was there for most of it.

Developer
This is actually a plot point I wrestled with during the writing - I wanted the Mysteries to exact a heavy toll, but I was tired of the standard "trial by combat/go kill my enemy/do a kill and gather for me" task. I hit upon the Mysteries taking the memories and then decided to go with it for a few reasons:

First, it's very mythical - myths and the more primal, un-Disneyfied fairy tales abound with the idea of the Hero sacrificing some part of themselves to proceed on their quest. It's in Campbell's Hero's journey. Usually, the sacrifice is made specifically for knowledge. Odin losing his eye to learn the secrets of the runes in Norse myth is only the first example that leaps to mind. I wanted the Pirate to actually have to give a piece of themselves to the Mysteries. Losing a hand or a hand was beyond our tech capability, and expect would cost us our rating

Second it serves a definite purpose for the narrative. I won't say much more here, but the notion of having the Pirate re-discover certain aspects of your early life (instead of constantly saying "well yeah, I already knew that") will be very useful to me later, not to mention dramatic. AstroStorm is right - this development is going to really frame some later events in a different light.

Flarzedrago9's point is also a good one - a selfless sacrifice definitely fits the Pirate's redemptive arc, but I must admit that wasn't my first thought when I came up with this.

Some points to clarify: what the Mysteries were asking for were the pirate's first five years of memories - start with your first memory ever, then count five years forward from that. Now, this may be when the Pirate learned how to walk or talk, but the Pirate still know how to do those things - they just don't know how they know.

And while we've been unclear about it up to this point, I'm presuming that the Pirate's parents died sometime late in this period, so that all the Pirate's memories of them will be gone. It's a big price to pay. I wanted it to be dark, and scary, and to feel dangerous. The reactions it's evoked tell me that I made a good choice.

Sadly, the alternatives mentioned here and there simply won't work - our tech doesn't support choosing one of multiple ways to satisfy a goal, and even if it did, wouldn't everybody just choose the boss fight? It's not like a boss fight is insurmountable in the long run (and besides, looking at some of the other feedback out there, this update has too many boss fights already ). So, if a choice isn't really a choice, why offer it at all? So yeah, if you want to get to El Dorado you have to do it. Nobody said being a hero is an easy.

This is a plot point on par with the abduction of Mabel and starting the war between Marleybone and Valencia (though not nearly as morally questionable) - grim and kinda dark. But like the war, the will have consequences later - it'd be sloppy of us to never bring this up again.

Community Leader
While giving up childhood memories is indeed a huge sacrifice for our pirates, we the players never knew our parents. I look forward to "re"discovering them right along with my pirates.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Here's what I posted over on my thread on pirate101 central.

I agree mythstone. We already fight a ton of monsters already, but not everything that we do should involve fighting one just to move on. The way I see it, this is just another way to tell the story, and besides, there's more than one way to tell a story you know, so there's that.

Community Leader
Thanks, Blind Mew! I actually feel much better about the story line after reading your reply. I didn't want to see "oh, childhood memories gone, uh oh, too bad, let's move on", but hearing that it has continuin effects in the storyline and that it doesn't end here actually makes me happy. As it is I was worries it would just get tossed aside as a minor plot point with no real consequence - I'm glad there are bigger plans for this. You guys have done an incredible job with the story so far and I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves for future worlds.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Hmm? I'm not there yet, but seeing this thread... wow... Duty/Love/Sacrifice -- that is so Epic. This concept adds so much depth to an already great story. Our characters believe they are risking their lives and freedom, but the former can't be taken away (too sad and dissatisfying), and I doubt they are going to languish in a prison, at least for any length of time (game-wise, I don't see how it could be done, though you never know). But this is a real loss that your character can give up, and we can really feel for them. (It has the unexpected consequence for me of making some things I have written as posts or fan fiction rather more poignant and bittersweet than originally intended, not that this is a bad thing). When Anne finds out, will there be tears? Lots. Will she do it? You bet. That's the sort of courage that we all would hope we have within.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
AstroStorm on May 7, 2013 wrote:
This is really gonna effect our meeting with our parent's ghosts, meeting our foster parents, and remembering anything about our origins. This has to have some connection with our foster parents later on.
I thought about it and came up with a good idea in mind. I think all of us can somewhat agree that our time with our foster parents will was probbaly the most of that 5 year time skip. The story later on will probbaly include our foster parents trying to hep us regain or memories through pass experiences we had. For example, I was raised in Grizzleheim:

This is where we first found you.
This is where you learned to fight.
This is where you made that one promise to yourself that you've probably forgotten because you made that selfless choice in Aquila to get that answer you were seeking, that i magically knew about even though i wasn't with you in your journeys and do not have a wizard here telling me these things.

Ensign
Nov 08, 2009
you could have done this before and forgot about it 5 years ago.

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
AstroStorm on May 10, 2013 wrote:
I thought about it and came up with a good idea in mind. I think all of us can somewhat agree that our time with our foster parents will was probbaly the most of that 5 year time skip. The story later on will probbaly include our foster parents trying to hep us regain or memories through pass experiences we had. For example, I was raised in Grizzleheim:

This is where we first found you.
This is where you learned to fight.
This is where you made that one promise to yourself that you've probably forgotten because you made that selfless choice in Aquila to get that answer you were seeking, that i magically knew about even though i wasn't with you in your journeys and do not have a wizard here telling me these things.
Wait I think I might have a next idea of the brand new worlds Think about when we were raised.. Since we already have Skull island where we came from. Grew up in Mooshu? Then we have Mooshu. Raised in Marleybone. We have Marleybone. Could this mean that the next two worlds are Grizzleheim and Krokotopia? I probably confused you but it's just a guess.

Ensign
May 09, 2009
actually its kinda good since just five years of his childhood which should start when he was born so it would like be until our pirate was like five year olds

Petty Officer
Jun 28, 2011
Zlyxer on May 24, 2013 wrote:
Wait I think I might have a next idea of the brand new worlds Think about when we were raised.. Since we already have Skull island where we came from. Grew up in Mooshu? Then we have Mooshu. Raised in Marleybone. We have Marleybone. Could this mean that the next two worlds are Grizzleheim and Krokotopia? I probably confused you but it's just a guess.
kingsisle actually did give a hint that the next world just might be Krokotopia. at the end of Aquila you see a couple pieces of the map were translated in krokotopian language just like the mechanical birds translating encription in aquilian language so its a possibility we go to Krokotopia next. and since we are now going backwards of the wizard101 storyline worlds there might I SAY MIGHT be a Wizard City coming up. BUT THERES NO TELLING

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
iceblade1233 on May 28, 2013 wrote:
kingsisle actually did give a hint that the next world just might be Krokotopia. at the end of Aquila you see a couple pieces of the map were translated in krokotopian language just like the mechanical birds translating encription in aquilian language so its a possibility we go to Krokotopia next. and since we are now going backwards of the wizard101 storyline worlds there might I SAY MIGHT be a Wizard City coming up. BUT THERES NO TELLING
I want the next world after Krok to be Wizard City but I want them to do it in two worlds in one released if possible again.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on May 10, 2013 wrote:
Hmm? I'm not there yet, but seeing this thread... wow... Duty/Love/Sacrifice -- that is so Epic. This concept adds so much depth to an already great story. Our characters believe they are risking their lives and freedom, but the former can't be taken away (too sad and dissatisfying), and I doubt they are going to languish in a prison, at least for any length of time (game-wise, I don't see how it could be done, though you never know). But this is a real loss that your character can give up, and we can really feel for them. (It has the unexpected consequence for me of making some things I have written as posts or fan fiction rather more poignant and bittersweet than originally intended, not that this is a bad thing). When Anne finds out, will there be tears? Lots. Will she do it? You bet. That's the sort of courage that we all would hope we have within.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
You write Pirate101 FanFiction..? What are some of your stories? I love reading FanFiction, specially on games like Pirate101 ;)