Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion balance

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 06, 2010
I hope the devs intend to address the imbalance between different companions...regardless of level, some are virtually useless compared to others. They'll never all be perfectly balanced, but at least give all companions the same number of epics and special abilities...the promo shark I got from the gift card is absolutely useless compared to other Bucaneers of the same level...I use him anyway cause hes cool, but I shouldn't feel tactically required to choose from a handful of companions because the devs randomly decided which would be useful and which would just be eye candy.

Community Leader
mjprogue on Feb 28, 2013 wrote:
I hope the devs intend to address the imbalance between different companions...regardless of level, some are virtually useless compared to others. They'll never all be perfectly balanced, but at least give all companions the same number of epics and special abilities...the promo shark I got from the gift card is absolutely useless compared to other Bucaneers of the same level...I use him anyway cause hes cool, but I shouldn't feel tactically required to choose from a handful of companions because the devs randomly decided which would be useful and which would just be eye candy.
It seems as though the game is designed so that some companions (Bonnie Anne, for instance) will be vastly superior and others will be a detriment when they show up. With benching, you can curb this a little bit in your favor now, but this is how they want the game to be.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Companions are this way by design.

This provides a number of game play dynamics, allowing the game to change as the player moves along.
And repeating with another pirate class etc is a lot more fun with these dynamics (No 2 battles basically being alike).

If all the companions were the same/balanced, this would be an amazingly boring game!!!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Nov 18, 2012
mjprogue on Feb 28, 2013 wrote:
Some companions are meant to be useless compared to others.

For ex., I don't expect my Chicken Renegade to compare to Bonnie Anne in battle, but that's how it's supposed to be. As you can see, some companions promote for gold while others have a storyline to follow that is going to continue with the update. You cant actually expect all the companions to be equal, if they were, it would defeat the purpose of having a few select special ones like your starting companion.

So I hope they do not (and highly doubt they will) equalize all the companions' talents and epics. That's not how the game was made to be.