Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Best Class for PvP

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
I think that the best class is Swashbuckler. We can hide, do the most damage, and have the most powerful companions like Sarah Steele and Mustang Sally. Also, with Dance of Steel, we can attack every person around us.
Bristly Kevin

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
wiz11110 on Feb 16, 2013 wrote:
I think that the best class is Swashbuckler. We can hide, do the most damage, and have the most powerful companions like Sarah Steele and Mustang Sally. Also, with Dance of Steel, we can attack every person around us.
Bristly Kevin
Wait till you will crash on a good buccaneer wall wich can immobilize too and can cover double distance of you in a turn and with a lot of damage reduction aaaaaand... remember you are weak to strength attacks and don't have so much armor (and the armor difference will be raised with next patch); about aoe well, the king of aoe is musketeer no discuss on this (poison is a dot, very slow to deploy damage, also if i would face a swash for sure i will not deploy companions in a "ring"); for companions instead ok those are good but they are glass cannons like your class is and other classes get nice companions too, so at end i would say that every class has is counter and if played correctly every class could be awesome but from this to become "best class" for all i would wait before to say this since being popular doesn't means that it is the best of all .

Petty Officer
Dec 26, 2012
In my opinion, there is no best class for pvp, it depends on the person and skill. But seriously, they need to fix Buccaneers since they are super easy to kill.

Privateers have boosts and healing so they can hard to kill. But they lack special attacks and epic talents, also they are better in team battles than 1vs1.

Musketeers have long range and traps which are useful, but if they aren't in range they are forced to move up and let their guard down. They can easily kill melee fighter companions like swashbucklers and buccaneers, but they some (I said some not all) lack good armor and have low dodge.

Swashbucklers have speed and power, but most (I said most) can't take too many hits. In a gun fight they might have difficulties with Musketeers and Witchdoctors.

Witchdoctors have teleport so they can escape from a spot easily, also they many specials that are useful and never miss. Like Mojo's blade can hit up 1000-1300 with the right amount of will. But they have the lowest health and without the specials they may be hopeless. Also they have no armor (Without using a training point).

Buccaneers have defense and strength, but they are easy to kill pvp with good strategy. Another problem with them is their low accuracy, so they will probably miss a lot without specials.

So in conclusion, most of the schools are balanced and are fair (Although privateers are a bit overpowered, especially fight four of them at the same time)

Captain
May 02, 2009
Bristly Kevin
Actually, Buccaneers have the most damage. My level 50 Buccaneer does 200 and something to 262, my level 50 Swashbuckler does 190 and something to 253. Even if I did pick Mooshu for my Swashbuckler, my Buccaneer still does more damage.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
coolster50 on Feb 24, 2013 wrote:
Actually, Buccaneers have the most damage. My level 50 Buccaneer does 200 and something to 262, my level 50 Swashbuckler does 190 and something to 253. Even if I did pick Mooshu for my Swashbuckler, my Buccaneer still does more damage.
Absolutely wrong saying that a swashbuckler does less damage than a buccaneer could make ppl to misunderstand; buccaneers are tank, means they crit less and often hit less than a swashbuckler, also they don't have Discipline skills (the one wich raise critical chance, wich is for me the ebst skill in swashbuckler skillpool), so maybe a buccaneer can do higher base damage, but overall a swashbuckler can land more damage due to increased crit chance (and more cards with 2-3x multipliers). If a swashbuckler would do less damage than a buccaneer would mean there is some problem not in class balance but in player combat strategy .

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
Clownsanity on Feb 25, 2013 wrote:
Absolutely wrong saying that a swashbuckler does less damage than a buccaneer could make ppl to misunderstand; buccaneers are tank, means they crit less and often hit less than a swashbuckler, also they don't have Discipline skills (the one wich raise critical chance, wich is for me the ebst skill in swashbuckler skillpool), so maybe a buccaneer can do higher base damage, but overall a swashbuckler can land more damage due to increased crit chance (and more cards with 2-3x multipliers). If a swashbuckler would do less damage than a buccaneer would mean there is some problem not in class balance but in player combat strategy .
Yeah I found this pretty funny, buccaneers have the greatest base damage from smashy weapons, but don't have the proper power abilities to use them effectively.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
AstroStorm on Feb 25, 2013 wrote:
Yeah I found this pretty funny, buccaneers have the greatest base damage from smashy weapons, but don't have the proper power abilities to use them effectively.
If you think a moment on this you would fin it pretty reasonable instead, i list some point here:
1. Tanking in general in all games means to have a lot of life/resistance and maybe some crowd control, also tanks usually are weak to magic, this game respect this generic guideline although often is more simple to focus and nuke an enemy then thinking to tactics.
2. If someone wants to do damage, buccaneer is not the right class, a buccaneer with almost the same damage output of a swashbuckler would be an OP class.
3. What buccaneers lack is a effective crowd control, meantime all those brutal charges will be patched by prolonging their duration i found hold the line to be pretty situational for to be a crowd control, specially if you can proc it once in a turn, it has some use tactically speaking (with a ranged companion provided of overwatch for example) but nothing exceptional.
3b. PVE - aggro system: buccaneers can get access to those "provoke" skills wich should increase the "aggro" an enemy has toward the attacker and attacks him, this doesn't work very well (if nothing at all) since for to take aggro you need to hit enemies and buccaneers lack of damage and accuracy (means that a swash dealing more damage than us could get more aggro too) and, most important, of aoe for multiple taunting since it is almost useless to take aggro from one enemy meantime other 3-4 are attacking your most vulnerable (but higher damage) companions/friends.
4. Beside of what i listed above we also must consider that some lacking could be covered from equipment itself, there are pieces of equip wich come with some high damage skills, meantime for precision some buff (El Toro for example) and weapons like th Earth Mace (with second change), could help a lot.

So at end i would say: buccaneer is a tactical unit, strong in pve and he can be a real annoyance in a group fight in pvp, the only thing the game would need regarding pvp specifically is to address his natural inclination to swashbucklers wich are atm the most convenient class to play in pvp since focus+ high damage is the best way to defeat single targets and with some spell from gear like valor armor someone could argue: what i need a buccaneer for if i could do both a ton of damage and having high defenses? Because a buccaneer alone can't arrive to the damage of a swashbuckler meantime he can reach the "walking wall" status, wich could me having ethernal battles pretty boring lol.

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
Clownsanity on Feb 26, 2013 wrote:
If you think a moment on this you would fin it pretty reasonable instead, i list some point here:
1. Tanking in general in all games means to have a lot of life/resistance and maybe some crowd control, also tanks usually are weak to magic, this game respect this generic guideline although often is more simple to focus and nuke an enemy then thinking to tactics.
2. If someone wants to do damage, buccaneer is not the right class, a buccaneer with almost the same damage output of a swashbuckler would be an OP class.
3. What buccaneers lack is a effective crowd control, meantime all those brutal charges will be patched by prolonging their duration i found hold the line to be pretty situational for to be a crowd control, specially if you can proc it once in a turn, it has some use tactically speaking (with a ranged companion provided of overwatch for example) but nothing exceptional.
3b. PVE - aggro system: buccaneers can get access to those "provoke" skills wich should increase the "aggro" an enemy has toward the attacker and attacks him, this doesn't work very well (if nothing at all) since for to take aggro you need to hit enemies and buccaneers lack of damage and accuracy (means that a swash dealing more damage than us could get more aggro too) and, most important, of aoe for multiple taunting since it is almost useless to take aggro from one enemy meantime other 3-4 are attacking your most vulnerable (but higher damage) companions/friends.
4. Beside of what i listed above we also must consider that some lacking could be covered from equipment itself, there are pieces of equip wich come with some high damage skills, meantime for precision some buff (El Toro for example) and weapons like th Earth Mace (with second change), could help a lot.

So at end i would say: buccaneer is a tactical unit, strong in pve and he can be a real annoyance in a group fight in pvp, the only thing the game would need regarding pvp specifically is to address his natural inclination to swashbucklers wich are atm the most convenient class to play in pvp since focus+ high damage is the best way to defeat single targets and with some spell from gear like valor armor someone could argue: what i need a buccaneer for if i could do both a ton of damage and having high defenses? Because a buccaneer alone can't arrive to the damage of a swashbuckler meantime he can reach the "walking wall" status, wich could me having ethernal battles pretty boring lol.
I know I'm not new to gaming tatics, and I agreed with everyone of your points. At this point however buccaneers are nothing special yet.

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
AstroStorm on Feb 26, 2013 wrote:
I know I'm not new to gaming tatics, and I agreed with everyone of your points. At this point however buccaneers are nothing special yet.
Yep but buccaneers and other classes are not supposed to be "special", or more good than other, that is why devs are balancing them and pvp is just a training arena , the purpose at end will be to not have "special" classes wich could be abused but 5 equally fun classes with an equal number of strenghts and weaknesses. This will need time since the game is PVE based and as you can know in mmorpgs world being PVE balanced doesn't means to be PVP balanced too, KI has a hard task to accomplish for balancing without to redesign the whole game mechanics .

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
Clownsanity on Feb 27, 2013 wrote:
Yep but buccaneers and other classes are not supposed to be "special", or more good than other, that is why devs are balancing them and pvp is just a training arena , the purpose at end will be to not have "special" classes wich could be abused but 5 equally fun classes with an equal number of strenghts and weaknesses. This will need time since the game is PVE based and as you can know in mmorpgs world being PVE balanced doesn't means to be PVP balanced too, KI has a hard task to accomplish for balancing without to redesign the whole game mechanics .
Special doesn't mean they're better than anyone, it just mean they have their own special little thing that maks them, lol, special , Something they're known for, privateers have healing and buffs, musketeers have traps, manipulation, and AoE's, swashbucklers get many useful melee tricks, and witchdoctors, they're made packed with a bag of tricks. For me personally, buccaneers are more than special enough, I love their double range powers and block increase cards. However as a game and community as a whole, buccaneers seem to be missing out that flare, something that if you wanted to get someone to join your class, you'll be able to say something cool that would make them go, sweet. Do you understand what I mean? Sorry if you get confused I literally write out everything in my head without thinking, ha ha ha.

Ensign
Aug 04, 2010
What are you guys talking about?!?!? Long range rules!

Ensign
Oct 27, 2012
AllToonedUp on Feb 20, 2013 wrote:
In my opinion, there is no best class for pvp, it depends on the person and skill. But seriously, they need to fix Buccaneers since they are super easy to kill.

Privateers have boosts and healing so they can hard to kill. But they lack special attacks and epic talents, also they are better in team battles than 1vs1.

Musketeers have long range and traps which are useful, but if they aren't in range they are forced to move up and let their guard down. They can easily kill melee fighter companions like swashbucklers and buccaneers, but they some (I said some not all) lack good armor and have low dodge.

Swashbucklers have speed and power, but most (I said most) can't take too many hits. In a gun fight they might have difficulties with Musketeers and Witchdoctors.

Witchdoctors have teleport so they can escape from a spot easily, also they many specials that are useful and never miss. Like Mojo's blade can hit up 1000-1300 with the right amount of will. But they have the lowest health and without the specials they may be hopeless. Also they have no armor (Without using a training point).

Buccaneers have defense and strength, but they are easy to kill pvp with good strategy. Another problem with them is their low accuracy, so they will probably miss a lot without specials.

So in conclusion, most of the schools are balanced and are fair (Although privateers are a bit overpowered, especially fight four of them at the same time)
I totally agree, I myself as a musketeer, know from experience, once we get our acuracy up and dodge, we're deadly! But totaly agree with u, my privateer friend is really powerful as well.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
Bristly Kevin
Privateers get better companions. We also heal, buff, and shield them frequently. Privateers are really powerful in pvp, but we are even more so when we team with Swashbucklers. We also are explosives experts in that we learn three different ranged attacks not including other class learnings. We also are very good with slashy, and if combined with smashy and stabby can make anybody extremely powerful with and cross weapon between smashy slashy and stabby. Not trying to hurt feelings or insult anyone.
Merciful Noah Davis

Ensign
Feb 19, 2011
Plus privateers get tons of health and when teaming in pvp with a swashbuckler they are almost unstopable. Dashing Blake Silver

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Well lads and lasses...I done me quite a bit of pvp in my time. I love my Swashbuckler for quests and just because they are so cool but in pvp I think Musketeers have an edge over all other classes. Of course there is a little strategy involved but Musketeers have so many multi-attacks that can do big damage that other players companions are toast unless they spread them out. If they spread them out then they risk becoming isolated and easy pickins for a group of enemy combatants. I have never lost with my Musketeer ( except to other Musketeers and once to a Privateer ) but if I make one bad move with my Swashbuckler it's all over. So give me my Swashbuckler for quests and just causing general mayhem but in pvp I think I will stick with my Musketeer. Yarrr!

Ensign
Mar 04, 2013
AllToonedUp on Feb 20, 2013 wrote:

Witchdoctors don't necessarily have "no armor". They also don't have the lowest possible health, and it sure is a good thing that they get TONS (meant metaphorically) of specials, because they probably would be hopeless (no offense to witchdoctors).

Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
Privateers all they way, I say. Even though the Privateer itself is weak in hand to hand, it's companions with the Privateers boosts, dominate. I completely crushed a level 65 Witchdoctor, Swashbuckler, and Witchdoctor, solo. Privateers, in my opinion learn the most about strategy. My companions dodged about 75% of all the attacks to them, and with +3 Critical Chance, the Enemies stood no chance.

Have a Great Day! Lvl 65

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
*shoots with sparkthrower* Fyi, I have never ever lost to a swashbuckler. EVER. I think musketeers are the best class for pvp WITH a good strategy. Any class is the best with a good strategy. Honestly, if you think swashbuckler is somehow superior to all other schools, you need to rethink.

Dead-eye Luke Level 65 Swashbuckler slaying Musketeer

Ensign
Jun 08, 2013
Okay I don't really like to post my level but for once I will I am only level 15. However I would have to say musketeer is the best we have long ranged attacks we get critacal hits all the time (well I do anyways). And thanks to that at only level 15 I get 100+ damage attacks quite often. However downside if we can't hit you and have to move forward then we're wide open

Ensign
Jul 05, 2009
coolster50 on Feb 24, 2013 wrote:
thats because you probably dont have good stats on your swashbuckler