Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Story Thread 1: A few story questions...

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Kelsey Fireheart on Apr 14, 2013 wrote:
Don't tell me ... we had the last piece of the map all along? Let me guess, it's in the raft? Esp when our parents left it to us.. I bet the Avery and the Armada Elite won't expect it either.. So many possibilities ;) Can't wait to find out if our theorycrafting was correct or wayyyyy off the mark LOL
It can't be in the raft because some people like me sold the raft for gold so they wouldn't be able to have the piece of the map in the raft
Find me in the game
Slick Cody Jones privateer lvl 50
Merciless Ethan Jenkins swashbuckler lvl 50

Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
Don't tell me ... we had the last piece of the map all along? Let me guess, it's in the raft? Esp when our parents left it to us.. I bet the Avery and the Armada Elite won't expect it either.. So many possibilities ;) Can't wait to find out if our theorycrafting was correct or wayyyyy off the mark LOL
The raft wasn't from our parents. The ship that we get after The Presidio quest from the Frogfather is the one that use to belong to our parents.

Crafty Kiley Hawkins

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Blind Mew has given us a hint to where the piece is... as I recall he mentioned that there was 'something very important' at their grave sites (wherever those are). Much better than the map being tattooed on our scalps or something. Of course our characters are unknowing, many of them just beginning to realize that if Mom was an associate of Pollo she likely had a piece, making us consider that if the Armada Elites had discovered this they had a -personal- interest in us all along, which could only be bad news...
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Petty Officer
Jan 18, 2013
I have a few questions about the game:

Question 1: why do catbeard and ratbeard hate each other?
Question 2: why do your parents speak to you in the gortez dungeon?
Question 3: what is up with all the mysterious stormgates and areas in some of the worlds?
Question 4: why are there only three fighting quests in valencia?
Question 5: what ever happened to boochbeard and mr. gandry?
Question 6: if you decide that your parents get lost, how can you get their ship?
and finally, Question 7: is there a reason why some get duck holliday and others get mustang sally?
Please answer these questions.

Name: Arthur Lanyard
Type:

Community Leader
Silly me. You guys are correct, I meant the ship we get in Jonah Town. Have a great week guys! Hugs to you all!

Need help with Ships, Companions, Pets, Gear? Pirate101 Skyways has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Developer
Musket Man on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:

Question 3: what is up with all the mysterious stormgates and areas in some of the worlds?
Question 6: if you decide that your parents get lost, how can you get their ship?
and finally, Question 7: is there a reason why some get duck holliday and others get mustang sally?

Type:
If you go over this thread, you'll see that I have answered most of them already, though I must admit this thread's getting a bit unwieldy. Maybe we need another one... But, I'm glad to re-iterate, and I'll try to match your brief tone.

1: Old bad blood. I expect at some point in the past they were working together on some nefarious job, and that Ratbeard tried to double cross Catbeard, but Catbeard (being awfully clever) saw it coming and beat him to the punch.

2: Cuz it's cool. That Crystal Cave is a weird place...

3: The Spiral is a big place, and the worlds connect in ways beyond our Main Story sequence. All the gates introduced so far will be used eventually.

4: Because it's a stealth mission: you're sneaking into the home base of the Armada, for Pete's sake. Go in guns blazing and they'll smash you.

5: They're our characters that break the Fourth Wall - they will talk about keys, buttons, and experience points. Nobody else ever will. We use them sparingly. Are the Tutorial Tips and Recap Text not enough?

6: As the Frogfather says, they left it in Flotsam in long term parking. Who says your parents were on their ship when they died? It's perfectly possible to ride on another pirate's ship during play - ship combat looks really cool that way! Also, your PC ends up with several ships - why wouldn't they?

7: There are 2 kinds of Companion grants in Pirate101: universal grants (Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard, for example), and class specific grants (the MooShu starters, etc.). Most of the grants in the game are class specific. We grant some to reinforce the PC's class (Swashbucklers to Swashbucklers, that kind of thing), and some to add variety, so you can spice up your tactics. Varying up each class's roster helps make the game replayable. If you really want a class specific Companion, they're all in the Crown Shop.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2011
Musket Man on Apr 15, 2013 wrote:

Type:
They answered some of those questions a long time ago. here's the answers you need since i know most.

1: Its a game of cat and mouse(or rat in this case) so of course they hate each other. duh
2:Leaving that to KI, but mostly if your parents are consider dead(make that all people), you may hear their spirits in the cave of spirits
3:A KI question
4:Your in enemy territory. it's horrible to get caught where they have more men and the upper hand so you pretty much need to do less fighting, more getting what you came here for.
5:KI question
6:KI question. But good question anyway
7:It's base on what class you are mostly. Depending on what kind of pirate you are is which people will join you and which people are buyable. For example; Only musketeers get duck holliday and bison shaman and only swashbucklers get mustang sally and iago. sometimes that rule don't apply, like for example even know it's a main story requirement to get people like ratbeard and el toro; everyone can get rooster cogburns the sheriff and cat ninja

Black Rashida
Type:

Ensign
Aug 18, 2011
Blind Mew on Apr 16, 2013 wrote:
If you go over this thread, you'll see that I have answered most of them already, though I must admit this thread's getting a bit unwieldy. Maybe we need another one... But, I'm glad to re-iterate, and I'll try to match your brief tone.

1: Old bad blood. I expect at some point in the past they were working together on some nefarious job, and that Ratbeard tried to double cross Catbeard, but Catbeard (being awfully clever) saw it coming and beat him to the punch.

3: The Spiral is a big place, and the worlds connect in ways beyond our Main Story sequence. All the gates introduced so far will be used eventually.

4: Because it's a stealth mission: you're sneaking into the home base of the Armada, for Pete's sake. Go in guns blazing and they'll smash you.

5: They're our characters that break the Fourth Wall - they will talk about keys, buttons, and experience points. Nobody else ever will. We use them sparingly. Are the Tutorial Tips and Recap Text not enough?

6: As the Frogfather says, they left it in Flotsam in long term parking. Who says your parents were on their ship when they died? It's perfectly possible to ride on another pirate's ship during play - ship combat looks really cool that way! Also, your PC ends up with several ships - why wouldn't they?

7: There are 2 kinds of Companion grants in Pirate101: universal grants (Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard, for example), and class specific grants (the MooShu starters, etc.). Most of the grants in the game are class specific. We grant some to reinforce the PC's class (Swashbucklers to Swashbucklers, that kind of thing), and some to add variety, so you can spice up your tactics. Varying up each class's roster helps make the game replayable. If you really want a class specific Companion, they're all in the Crown Shop.
I just have some things to say about these answers;

1) I love the Cat/Rat.. and I was actually thinking that something like that happened that started their feud/rivalry.

2) The Crystal Cave is a weird, but cool place.. Blind Mew, do you think we'd ever have to go back there for whatever reason? I mean, if we hear our parent's voice's there.. would we go back and hear something different than what they first said about finding El Dorado? Or will there be another place like the Crystal Cave along the way?

3) The Spiral is a big place.. can't wait to see what's going to happen next in it.

4) Stealth missions... a Swashbuckler's specialty ;) But seriously, why would anyone want to go into the Armada's home base with guns blazing? Though, I'm pretty sure Kane knew we showed up.. if Phule didn't tell him, then because Kane is the leader and it wouldn't have taken much for him to figure out that we'd be showing up looking for something about Marco Pollo or pieces of the map.

5) I think, what the person means is; What happened to them? Are we ever going see/deal with them again with anything other than the two of them informing us of tutorial tips or recapping? Though, I could be mistaken.. but that's what I'm kinda wondering.

6) I think you mean, "they left it in Jonah Town in long term parking." since that is where the Frogfather is located(well he's located in Gullet, but under/inside of the Jonah Town whale) and we get their ship before going to Flotsam. :)

7) And I have nothing to say about for this one.. xD

Crafty Kiley Hawkins Lv. 50

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Apr 16, 2013 wrote:

I really do wish Mustang Sally was a universal grant Companion. She was in the main story, and I wish to have her do companion chatter among all classes. She and El Toro were about to be married during the events of Book 9 and wed by the time Book 10 began, so why should the newlywed couple be apart for all classes while only Swashbucklers get to recruit her with El Toro? I feel for other classes that she's left out of the main story adventures. I know there's not an easy to have more of Mustang Sally's involvement further in the main story, even if it is for a little bit... well, truly, Mustang Sally was a part of it in the very beginning and further, but she shouldn't be absent during the remainder of the story after Book 10, but I wish to see Mustang Sally become a universal Companion grant instead of her being a class specific Companion grant. I enjoyed her in action as an ally back then, but I feel that after Book 10, she shouldn't be left out for all classes in the main story. I also would like for her to become a part of the companion chatter, too. Think of it. It's not too late for that, you know. She and El Toro have been together and should remain together throughout the story. I feel she should be on more adventures for all classes, even though for now she does for Swashbucklers. Having her Companion grant status changed from class specific to universal may be a good idea, you know? Don't worry. It won't be like there's anything removed from the main story. Just added to it, that's all. No rush, no disagreements, but I understand.

What new recent promotion quests are in line for the game's first major story update since launch? I'm hoping it's either Bonnie Anne, Ratbeard, or Old Scratch, or even either two! I'm willing to see what new looks they are!

Ensign
Mar 24, 2013
One honest question i have for Mr blind mew is will you be continuing the story line to the existing companion i really dig the storyline to my companions and really hope they further have storyline past just the 3 promotions they have at this time

2 Blind mew awsoke job with the storyline in this game man it is awsome i really like it Takes me back to the good old days of watching clint eastwood and the spaghetti westerns

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Ok another list of questions Blind Mew!

1. You already answered someone else's question about seeing any guest celebrities at some point like when Wizard101 hosted Selena Gomez (who I think you guys punned off of with Serena Guierrez if I'm correct) and Nick Jonas (will we see a Rick Jones? lol) and you said you didn't know. I believe that you're literally not trying to be shrewed. Honestly, you don't know. I was just curious to know that if a celebrity does present him or herself to cast in Pirate101 for some time, would you be interested in writing a story arc centered around them or intergrated them in? I think it would be awesome if you could do something like that in the coming years!

2. Is there one or two specific scenes in Book 13 you're just dying to wait us Pirates to see? You don't have to go into any detail at all. An answer like "You bet'cha! First it's all like [Wharf Rats bicker cutting off sound], then there's this part where [somehow cannons go flying and mask the words], and finally this really awesome part ends with [comets fall from the sky. Are you SERIOUS?!]. And that's about it. Pretty sweet huh?" will absolutely do lol

3. When it comes to mapping out the story, do you have something of a flow chart or whatever that shows what worlds are going to come until El Dorado? Like it would literally read Skull Island to Monquista to Valencia and so on or whatever theme of world you feel like doing is what's done? Maybe after Book 13 you wanna go to Krokotopia and sudently the teams working on that lol.

4. Based of off Books 1-12, especially how Cool Ranch was Books 5-7 and 9-10 and Mooshu 11-12, whatever the major world is going to be in Book 13, Book 13 will not cover that entire world will it? I think it might be safe to say every or most worlds will have 2 Books to them.

5. Can we expect more worlds like Cool Ranch; ones that take up almost all the story? lol

Thank You!

Community Leader
I have a question for you, Blind Mew. While running through the Fort Elena prison, I noticed something. There's a Marleybonian in one of the prison cells.. that we do not know a thing about. He's a red and white cavalier spaniel in fancy yellow suit and hat. Who's he? Will we rescue him eventually? I'd love to have him as a companion. What's his story?

Thanks!
-Kels

Need help with Ships, Companions, Pets, Gear? Pirate101 Skyways has guides for everything that you can think of. Click here to visit our site today!
Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
Now I have another question! How did water moles, sharks and crabs get to skull island? Don't they live celstianai (did not spell that right)

Developer
Squeakymm on Apr 18, 2013 wrote:
One honest question i have for Mr blind mew is will you be continuing the story line to the existing companion i really dig the storyline to my companions and really hope they further have storyline past just the 3 promotions they have at this time

2 Blind mew awsoke job with the storyline in this game man it is awsome i really like it Takes me back to the good old days of watching clint eastwood and the spaghetti westerns
Companions who have promotion quests will continue to have them as we go forward, although they'll be at a very staggered schedule - 3 to 5 Books apart, minimum.

I'm glad you like the story - it was great fun to come up with.

Developer
Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 18, 2013 wrote:
Ok another list of questions Blind Mew!

1. You already answered someone else's question about seeing any guest celebrities at some point like when Wizard101 hosted Selena Gomez (who I think you guys punned off of with Serena Guierrez if I'm correct) and Nick Jonas (will we see a Rick Jones? lol) and you said you didn't know. I believe that you're literally not trying to be shrewed. Honestly, you don't know. I was just curious to know that if a celebrity does present him or herself to cast in Pirate101 for some time, would you be interested in writing a story arc centered around them or intergrated them in? I think it would be awesome if you could do something like that in the coming years!

2. Is there one or two specific scenes in Book 13 you're just dying to wait us Pirates to see? You don't have to go into any detail at all. An answer like "You bet'cha! First it's all like [Wharf Rats bicker cutting off sound], then there's this part where [somehow cannons go flying and mask the words], and finally this really awesome part ends with [comets fall from the sky. Are you SERIOUS?!]. And that's about it. Pretty sweet huh?" will absolutely do lol

3. When it comes to mapping out the story, do you have something of a flow chart or whatever that shows what worlds are going to come until El Dorado? Like it would literally read Skull Island to Monquista to Valencia and so on or whatever theme of world you feel like doing is what's done? Maybe after Book 13 you wanna go to Krokotopia and sudently the teams working on that lol.

4. Based of off Books 1-12, especially how Cool Ranch was Books 5-7 and 9-10 and Mooshu 11-12, whatever the major world is going to be in Book 13, Book 13 will not cover that entire world will it? I think it might be safe to say every or most worlds will have 2 Books to them.

5. Can we expect more worlds like Cool Ranch; ones that take up almost all the story? lol

Thank You!
1. Those kinds of things don't come along very often, and are arranged way outside my sphere of influence - if the opportunity arose I'd love to make it happen, but there's not much cooking now.

2. Actually, I can give some answers here - Book 13 has a few big encounters with some epic fights in them. I'm very eager to see how those are received. But I think more than anything else, I'm dying to know what you will make of the promotion quests in Book 13 - they were labors of love, and each of them pushes the boundaries a little (though in different ways). There's also one NPC in particular who I think is absolutely hilarious, and I can't wait until we get to share him.

3. We have an outline that breaks down the structure in terms of Books, with the world(s) each Book is centered around and the major plot points that Book contains.

4. The further along the player gets in the main story, the more things begin to accelerate; you'll notice there are fewer MooShu Books than Skull Island - you can expect that trend to continue. Also, worlds with multiple books may not see those Books happen consecutively - there will be quite a few Valencia Books by the time we're done with the El Dorado plot, but none of them will fall back to back.

5. Everyone's a critic...

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew, I had one small thought centering about the Monkey's Paw. It had wish granting powers, yes? Then how come it only granted 3 wishes closely like a genie's lamp in stories? It had 3 fingers and one thumb, so shouldn't the Paw technically grant 4 wishes instead of 3? I had some realization about it during the game's beta testing, but forgot to tell you about it before it went live. Unless that doesn't work that way, I understand. Had that thought reached to you before the game went live, the game's story chapter centered about the Monkey's Paw wish amount would have been slightly altered. Oh, well. You cannot change what's been done, can we? I thought not.

Developer
Kelsey Fireheart on Apr 19, 2013 wrote:
I have a question for you, Blind Mew. While running through the Fort Elena prison, I noticed something. There's a Marleybonian in one of the prison cells.. that we do not know a thing about. He's a red and white cavalier spaniel in fancy yellow suit and hat. Who's he? Will we rescue him eventually? I'd love to have him as a companion. What's his story?

Thanks!
-Kels
I don't expect he'll ever turn up again. To be honest, he's just an extra, placed there to make it look like this was a real prison, with inmates other than the ones you came to see.

Developer
Trimond297 on Apr 22, 2013 wrote:
Blind Mew, I had one small thought centering about the Monkey's Paw. It had wish granting powers, yes? Then how come it only granted 3 wishes closely like a genie's lamp in stories? It had 3 fingers and one thumb, so shouldn't the Paw technically grant 4 wishes instead of 3? I had some realization about it during the game's beta testing, but forgot to tell you about it before it went live. Unless that doesn't work that way, I understand. Had that thought reached to you before the game went live, the game's story chapter centered about the Monkey's Paw wish amount would have been slightly altered. Oh, well. You cannot change what's been done, can we? I thought not.
Three wishes is pretty much the standard trope for this sort of thing, and I figure the Paw just uses its fingers instead of all its digits, if you take my meaning. When all used up, it'd be giving a thumbs up symbol instead of a fist.

As the player never gets to make wishes, I really don't think it matters.

Community Leader
Since the pictures came out recently it seems that Aquila is one of the said worlds.

The arches and colloseum look in the pic reminds me of Greek/Roman. The minotaur in it also emphasizes that it is a mythical world. Hope there is Oddessy storylines and Greek Gods maybe?

Definatly need a Hercules NPC also! I was thinking about it and a perfect name would be Hawkcules. lol Since Aquila is inhabited by Eagles and Hawks I suppose?

Johnny - Pirate101 Community Leader
Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
dear Blind Mew,

1.Now from reading this and learning more about the armada from your point of view, I was really wondering, are the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined) an inspiration for the armada structure? I view the footsoldiers as Centurions, emotionless brutes that serve as nothing but an army, but I also view Kane's court as the humanoid ones, for having human traits such as emotions, and have goals other than domination. if this was an inspiration, I could imagine that there was a final five character or character group, that rules over even Kane (if you didn't use BSG as an inspiration then this will just be confusing).

2.also, I don't want confirmation on this, but I just want to say something it seems like others were unable to associate with one another. obviously, deacon and Boochbeard were searching for the PC for a reason. has nobody thought that it was a bloodline association? bloodline is a re-occurring theme that has a major impact on many stories. the PC's mother made an appearance in Marco Pollo's photograph. she would be one of the people that the armada would capture, if not for the fact that she is dead. That leaves the PC as the easiest person in association with her to capture.

3.one last thing, when Napoleguin was freed, he said that he owed the PC a favor. if I had a military genius at my disposal, I would probably want to make a frontal assult on the armada stronghold in Valencia, only as a distraction so I could retrieve the two pieces Kane has.

sincerely,
F.R. Holystone
lv. 50

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Blind Mew, another set of questions I thought of:

1. What was the deal with Marquis Mark saying "Say Hi to your mother for me."? What does he know about are mother? And why does he not have a Spanish accent like all other Monkeys?

2. How big of an impact to fans have when you write the story lines and such?

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
(Cross-posting from TugaPirate's post over on pirate101central.com at his request).

• 1. I don't know if it would be telling but you said the promotion quests would go to at least level 100 (companion level), does that means that at level 100, the game "ends"?
  • 2. We already depicted that the two puzzles are Aquila and Marleybone, what can you tell us more about Book 13?
  • 3. If KI ever runned out of ideas for new worlds (doubt it) would you ever ask members for ideas (cause we all are different minds)?
  • 4. Darkmoor seems like a very interesting place, I believe it's Halloween-themed, am I right?
  • 5. Sometimes we see some alien like creatures in Puppet Shows, are those just a joke or are a thing we will see in-game in the future?
  • 6. Last, have you started working on Book 14? As you said before Book 13 came out it was about war, can you do the same thing for Book 14, like, tells us what it is about in one word?

• Lieutenant
    Jan 18, 2011
    Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 27, 2013 wrote:

1. What was the deal with Marquis Mark saying "Say Hi to your mother for me."? What does he know about are mother? And why does he not have a Spanish accent like all other Monkeys?

1. The people of monsquita are spanish because the world is base off of old Spain. Of course that monkey didn't knew your mother's dead. Rude of him to be exact

Developer
    Elemutation on Apr 27, 2013 wrote:
    dear Blind Mew,

1.Now from reading this and learning more about the armada from your point of view, I was really wondering, are the Cylons from Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined) an inspiration for the armada structure? I view the footsoldiers as Centurions, emotionless brutes that serve as nothing but an army, but I also view Kane's court as the humanoid ones, for having human traits such as emotions, and have goals other than domination. if this was an inspiration, I could imagine that there was a final five character or character group, that rules over even Kane (if you didn't use BSG as an inspiration then this will just be confusing).

2.also, I don't want confirmation on this, but I just want to say something it seems like others were unable to associate with one another. obviously, deacon and Boochbeard were searching for the PC for a reason. has nobody thought that it was a bloodline association? bloodline is a re-occurring theme that has a major impact on many stories. the PC's mother made an appearance in Marco Pollo's photograph. she would be one of the people that the armada would capture, if not for the fact that she is dead. That leaves the PC as the easiest person in association with her to capture.

3.one last thing, when Napoleguin was freed, he said that he owed the PC a favor. if I had a military genius at my disposal, I would probably want to make a frontal assult on the armada stronghold in Valencia, only as a distraction so I could retrieve the two pieces Kane has.

sincerely,
    F.R. Holystone
    lv. 50
    1. Not so much (though I am a great fan of the new BSG, and even forgive it its finale). We knew pretty much from the inception of the Armada that they would need a face or faces the PC could talk to, enemies you can latch on to, a Darth Vader to the faceless stormtroopers. We figured just using Kane for that would get old and stain credulity: how could you possibly thwart Kane multiple times if we set him up as this superior mega entity?So we devised Kane's Court as his generals, his managers of the Armada. The fact that there are 5 of them is something of a coincidence, or they're both based on the idea that 3 and 5 are the best numbers to build stories around (that's a truism of game design, big time).

2. Cannot comment - more will be revealed.

3. The favor Napoleguin owes you will come up again, though I fear it won't be anytime soon. An assault on Kane would be a heck of a use for that favor, though I wonder if the Penguin would go for it, given that he's likely still consolidating his power after returning. Napoleguin's a tactial and strategic genius - he knows the danger of overextending yourself against a strong opponent.

Developer
    Cunning Finnigan S... on Apr 27, 2013 wrote:

1. All of Marky- I mean, the Marquis Mark's dialogue is meant to play into a very specific joke. Hence his line about your mother and his voice. It';s a reference to an SNL skit featuring a dead on parody of Mark Wahlberg.

2. I'd say there's some indirect impact - a lot of the plot is laid down in outline form, but I think player speculation sometimes gives me little bursts of inspiration for touches and embellishments that I know will surprise y'all or drive y'all crazy. There's a pretty nice one in Book 13.