Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion "capacity"

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I have noticed that companions are for sale for crowns.

What happens if someone were to slowly but surely buy all crown companions from the store to give themselves an edge with powerful companions?

What I mean is, with all the story companions, and lets say, all the crown companions, will a pirate even have enough room to have all of those companions?

I picture myself buying a powerful companion (any companion bought seems to be pirate's level +2) whenever I run into a hard mob fight, and then over time, naturally recruiting the story line's companions.

If there is a limit to how many companions you can have at any time, will there be an option available that allows you to delete a companion?

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Shiningfantasia on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:

What happens if someone were to slowly but surely buy all crown companions from the store to give themselves an edge with powerful companions?

What I mean is, with all the story companions, and lets say, all the crown companions, will a pirate even have enough room to have all of those companions?

I picture myself buying a powerful companion (any companion bought seems to be pirate's level +2) whenever I run into a hard mob fight, and then over time, naturally recruiting the story line's companions.

If there is a limit to how many companions you can have at any time, will there be an option available that allows you to delete a companion?
I have a lot of companions I dislike and want to drop. All slots are filled, not sure if it will prevent me from getting new companions that could actually be useful or not.

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
I dont think the Crown Companions are any more "powerful" than recruited in game Companions. They at the same levels, they seem to have the same stats and damage range pending all your talents are set up the same.

The benefit is they start 2 levels (not confirmed by me) higher then the pirate.. but recruited companions start higher also. I think the only benefit is they may have different epic talents or they will be different then what everyone else has. Allot of the basic crown companions are duplicates of companions you get in the story line except for different classes or different backgrounds.

For instance: If you wanted the goat companin Po but chose a class that started out with the mouse fencer.. you could still get it. Otherwise you will not get the goat.

I personally havent purchased any crown companions since they are not any tougher than the ones I already have. Then couple that with the limited companion points and ever increasing costs as you level for the books for the points. It just seems to me that I would just be compounding a problem.

I will be puchasing my crown companions when I reach 50 if I want any. That way they will start at 50. I have already unlocked several including the golden monkey Gorilagron or whateven his name is, Chumba Wumba and some others. Im interested in seeing them fight for me, but the stats they show on screen are exactly what I already have. Seems more of an aesthetic skin type of thing.

Community Leader
seasnake on Oct 25, 2012 wrote:
I have a lot of companions I dislike and want to drop. All slots are filled, not sure if it will prevent me from getting new companions that could actually be useful or not.
Once you reach 15 companions (or the first page full), the 16th will start a new page. I don't recall seeing anywhere that there was a companion limit.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Shiningfantasia on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:

I have seen people buy ALL of the crown companions, however, this is not a smart move.

There are a few crown companions (and in-game) companions that are actually good. The rest I send out to the mobs as cannon fodder.

Yes, there is enough room to have your in-game companions AND all the crown companions. More and more pages will appear in your companion tab. Is it a smart move? NO. Once companions hit the bottom of the first page, there is a less than 1% chance of appearing in battle.

I don't believe there will be an option to delete companions, whether they are crown or not.

Be careful how you choose crown companions. Look at what you already have in the game. Would you want their duplicate from the crown shop?

Community Leader
In beta I had around 26 companions, the companion management area just adds additional pages for all the companions!
Buying a lot of crown companions may be helpful, but will also burden your ability to train companions up. The way the system is currently setup, its best to level ALL your companions, not just specific ones because any of your companions can show up in a battle at any time. This is a major part of companion management and is part of the game by design, it is unlikely there will ever be an option to remove/delete a companion.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
That is good to know.

Yea, I don't purchase companions either, simply because I don't want to "slide" through anything with companions at 2+ levels over me. And besides, once you level up, those companions have to be trained on top of all your other companions.

The whole "stronger" thing was just that, that they are initially 2+ levels over you, and therefore at top level for all your current story line quests.

Once I hit top level, then I will pick my permanent first mate, which will be my favorite companion. If I see a really unique looking crown companion, I will get it. I really, really love my cat, but knowing he promotes only a single time compared to the rest of the companions, I am not sure I want him as my first mate, as neat as he looks.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Agreed. I am now level 18. All my companions are at least 15. I have 10 of them.

For the same reason mentioned above about the burden of companion leveling, I have refrained from buying crown companions. The only 'outside' companion is the Cat companion from the Boochbeard bundle.

So, no matter which companion comes up, I am always in good hands.

Ensign
Oct 24, 2010
That is good to know! I just filled up my first page and was worried that was the end of companion recruitment. Now I can rest easy!