Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion Renaming

AuthorMessage
Captain
Feb 11, 2010
There was a thread like this a while ago, but I must say: Can we please have the option to rename the companions that were given to us with a randomized name? Yesterday I bought the Chicken Ranger for my swashbuckler and it ended up with the same first name as my musketeer's (Ethan). Also, my Samoorai Musketeer ended up with the name Go Wa. Could there maybe be an NPC in Skull Island that charges a small fee (<1000 gold?) to rename these? It really is a small chance of getting a good name.

Lieutenant
Jun 20, 2013
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on May 27, 2016 wrote:
There was a thread like this a while ago, but I must say: Can we please have the option to rename the companions that were given to us with a randomized name? Yesterday I bought the Chicken Ranger for my swashbuckler and it ended up with the same first name as my musketeer's (Ethan). Also, my Samoorai Musketeer ended up with the name Go Wa. Could there maybe be an NPC in Skull Island that charges a small fee (<1000 gold?) to rename these? It really is a small chance of getting a good name.
I agree, it would be fun to be able to name our Companions.

However, i see 1 flaw: you dont specify if this includes Main and Side quest companions, or just sides quest companions.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
This wouldn't work for any companions that have promotional quests... it would require a re-write of all info pertaining to these quests and each individual message to every pirate that has one of these companions, and we all do, would have to be personally tailored to them to match their companions new names.
Much ado about nothing. Way too much work for a cosmetic change.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
We can change pet names and ship names, why not a one time charge of crowns to change a side quest companion name?
Remember we can change our flags complete for a charge of 100 crowns.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 1, 2016 wrote:
We can change pet names and ship names, why not a one time charge of crowns to change a side quest companion name?
Remember we can change our flags complete for a charge of 100 crowns.
If by side quest companions you mean the ones that have pay-to-promote format then that should be no problem. There isn't any actual companion name mentioned in the promotion update. I think it just says something like "One of your companions is ready for promotion... talk to them in a tavern cellar"... you go, you pay, done deal. It's a random, universal message so it fits for all companions that fall into that category and no re-writes would be necessary.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
TucsonWizard on May 31, 2016 wrote:
This wouldn't work for any companions that have promotional quests... it would require a re-write of all info pertaining to these quests and each individual message to every pirate that has one of these companions, and we all do, would have to be personally tailored to them to match their companions new names.
Much ado about nothing. Way too much work for a cosmetic change.
I'm talking about the companions you recruit that get a randomized name.

Ensign
Mar 29, 2010
I dislike this idea, simply because I feel each companion is it's own person, with a past and history, with feelings and emotions and goals and dreams and desires.

To forcefully change the name of someone on yer crew, well.... I probably wouldn't sign up if I heard the captain was forcing people to change their names! What would happen to their birth rights? Their homes? Their lineage!

Arrr!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ellie Goldenheart on Jun 2, 2016 wrote:
I dislike this idea, simply because I feel each companion is it's own person, with a past and history, with feelings and emotions and goals and dreams and desires.

To forcefully change the name of someone on yer crew, well.... I probably wouldn't sign up if I heard the captain was forcing people to change their names! What would happen to their birth rights? Their homes? Their lineage!

Arrr!
Well put, Ellie, but this is also a game and some player's companions that get randomized names, get something dumb or inappropriate.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010

Arrr!
I feel this way too, it's just out of all the possibilities of a name, my Chicken Ranger got the first name of my musketeer's and the last name of my other musketeer's. Besides, this and several other side companions get a random name, and stuff like this has a good chance of happening.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

Arrr!
Two words for you here...

"Faithful Hair"

You wouldn't want to change that companion's name?

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013

Arrr!
Point noted, but then again - pirates! Birthrights are probably not an issue... being pirates, they probably hold no claim to any real property other than what they can carry... and because of that, no home to speak of other than the bunk they sleep in.
If I put myself in their position, and if I were to be offered the opportunity to share in untold riches with the one caveat being that the captain wants to call me a different name... count me in... he can call me anything but late-for-dinner. Bein' pirates and all I doubt there would be any formal paperwork involved so it's a name in name only. You are still who you always were but now you are also an "also known as". Blackbeard was known by thousands by that name... and we still know him by that name but we also know him as who he really was - Edward Teach (Thatch).
So I don't see re-naming a secondary companion as a negative thing from the companion's point of view. It's simply a tool to attain monetary gain.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015

Arrr!
Well im sure that captains have dictated the names of their crew before in history
This would be an amazing addition to the game and I hope an NPC offers this service to us soon

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Willowydream on Jun 2, 2016 wrote:
Two words for you here...

"Faithful Hair"

You wouldn't want to change that companion's name?
Right with ya.
My bison got the name,
"STAR HAIR"

They should change the spelling from "Hair" to "Hair".

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Ensign
Mar 24, 2012
pirate crusher on May 30, 2016 wrote:
I agree, it would be fun to be able to name our Companions.

However, i see 1 flaw: you dont specify if this includes Main and Side quest companions, or just sides quest companions.
Sorry to quote ye but only side quest companions have randomized names. I agree though, the other day I got mustang rowdy from Bust Em Out and he has Two-Gunned as his first name. He has swords for Blind Pete's sake.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Trustworthy NoahSt... on Jun 4, 2016 wrote:
Sorry to quote ye but only side quest companions have randomized names. I agree though, the other day I got mustang rowdy from Bust Em Out and he has Two-Gunned as his first name. He has swords for Blind Pete's sake.
Kinda reminds me of Bat Masterson... not one, but TWO six guns... and no hands to use 'em.

Ensign
Mar 29, 2010
Wow, thanks for so much feedback on my post!

However I am a bit confused...your companions are getting randomized names? I didn't know this was a thing.

So far my side quest companions such as Scorpius, Bones McGee, Sky Snake, etc. only have that basic name, I thought it was the same for everyone. Where are you seeing randomized names?

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Ellie Goldenheart on Jun 7, 2016 wrote:
Wow, thanks for so much feedback on my post!

However I am a bit confused...your companions are getting randomized names? I didn't know this was a thing.

So far my side quest companions such as Scorpius, Bones McGee, Sky Snake, etc. only have that basic name, I thought it was the same for everyone. Where are you seeing randomized names?
If you have only ever played as a witch doctor then a lot of the side quest companions you get luckily have fixed names

But for some classes like swashbuckler they can recruit a horse swordsman called ugly andy or angry Bonney so people want the option to try and find a good name

Ensign
Jun 02, 2014
I personally would love to rename my random-name companions, particularly my Mustang Rowdy--Two-Gun Logan Canton. Also, why is the part "Two-Gun" there? He uses knives!