Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

wizard101 vs pirate101

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 03, 2013
I believe that pirate101 should have to person mounts on the big mounts i mean its not fair that wizard101 gets all the fun so why cant we get some fun on the mounts to. I also believe that we should be able to fish like wizard101 because we are pirates after all why does wizards get to fish and pirates dont get to fish. My idea is that why cant we get stuff like wizard101 i mean it doesnt have to be the same but the topics should be for pirates instead of wizard101 so give fishing and to person mounts ki! we are begging! also! have! a! nice! day!

Captain
May 16, 2011
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
at first i was just going to ask, plainly, "which is better?" but we all kind of know that, altogether, wizard101 is better. let's try to imagine that both games have storylines up to level 110 and tons of side content, and then answer that question again.

what i'm trying to get here is which game has a better story and play style.

comparing this stuff:
  • wizards making peace vs. pirates journeying
  • magic vs. physical fighting
  • solo vs. pirate and crew
  • magic circle thing vs. gridded battleboard
You know, saying Wizard101 is better than Pirate101 on the Pirate101 message boards is pretty much setting yourself up for failure.

So, content-wise Wizard101 easily trumps Pirate101. I get your reasoning on that. But first you start with "which game has better story". On that subject, I say Pirate101. The storylines of some worlds were rather confusing. Khrysalis in particular. If you do one small section of Khrysalis at a time, (as I did, because I mostly had to play solo) the story is very convoluted and confusing. Morganthe's motives were all over the place, and the final battle with her was very anti-climatic. I liked Malistaire's final dungeon, but I felt Morganthe was disappointing.

Let's see your comparison themes......
  • Alright, so sure, Wizards do much peace-keeping, but Pirates....... well, they pirate. Our Pirates sail from world to world, journeying triumphantly. Wizards don't have key actions that define them as Wizards. They kinda just do what their guides tell them to do.
  • Pirates may do physical fighting, but let's not forget they have a specific class that casts magic. Sure, Wizards can seem to attack physically with certain weapons, but the animations are slow, and can be repetitive
  • Wizards aren't exactly solo, in recent worlds allies have assisted to make legitimate soloing easier. Pirate's crews are all banded together by a common cause, but sometimes by force.
  • Magic Circles are way too strict, and are just boring. Battleboard Grids give room to stretch and breathe, and provide an option of strategy. Wizards' ideas of strategy aren't exactly strategy, just the same setup, over and over and over again. For each mob fight, for each boss fight.
  • Also, Pirate101 promotes both teaming up, and the ability to solo. Wizard101 can be absolutely impossible to solo at times, and I know from experience that Xibalba nearly impossible solo, and very tough with just one other person.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Speaking of great adventures, there are two different experiences I had.

Initially I played more wizards, than pirates.I have a lot of found memories on wizards, I was just a curious player to try it out back in 2011, it was a breath taking frist look. It will be another 2 years before starting a new adventure, it was a fun and entertaing experience I had.I may not have a main character as a wizard 101 player,however it was a fun and memorable time.

As a pirate 101 player, initially I came here just for the free zone.However I had so much fun, when I entered as a young in 2013. Like in wizards it was a breath taking and amazing frist look. That was a very challenging journey prior to spring 2014. Mainly in cool ranch, I know most have tough time going through that world in the olden days,but now it's more manageable to go through that huge world. I was able to come up with plans and strategies, to pass that world.By doing side quests, have helped a lot. Today my main character Nicole , is smiling now she is finally going to have a new adventure since spring of 2015.

That's my back story as a 101 player, it was a great journey and unforgettable one too.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I personally prefer Pirate101 to Wizard101 for several reasons:

1) Combat. More complex. more strategy. Learning which attributes help which type of companion is nice, especially when we get free retrainings every now and then.

2) Plot. Richer. Makes a lot more sense, simply because it is intended for a more mature audience. And when it gets dark in Marleybone...wow. Bonnie becomes REALLY serious and I love it.

3) Puns and other references. From "He gets knocked down, but he gets up again!" "We're never gonna keep him down!" to "I'll be back", there were wonderful groaners. Love the names in Mooshu: Noh Wei, Noh Hao, Wai Noh Shrine. Every single Western character you care to name in Cool Ranch, including references to The Cisco Kid, The Three Caballeros, Quick Draw McGraw and El Kabong, The Lone Ranger, Zorro, Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid...I could go on and on.

4) References to real history and mythology. Just about every Roman and Greek mythological story is referenced in Aquila. Britain's mistreatment of Ireland and Scotland and how that affected their war effort in WW II, The internal squabbles of Japanese and Chinese history, Spain's colonial times while battling problems at home. When you study actual history, you will noticed a LOT of references you missed in Pirate101.

I just enjoy playing much more.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Max DeGroot on Jun 1, 2016 wrote:
I personally prefer Pirate101 to Wizard101 for several reasons:

1) Combat. More complex. more strategy. Learning which attributes help which type of companion is nice, especially when we get free retrainings every now and then.

2) Plot. Richer. Makes a lot more sense, simply because it is intended for a more mature audience. And when it gets dark in Marleybone...wow. Bonnie becomes REALLY serious and I love it.

3) Puns and other references. From "He gets knocked down, but he gets up again!" "We're never gonna keep him down!" to "I'll be back", there were wonderful groaners. Love the names in Mooshu: Noh Wei, Noh Hao, Wai Noh Shrine. Every single Western character you care to name in Cool Ranch, including references to The Cisco Kid, The Three Caballeros, Quick Draw McGraw and El Kabong, The Lone Ranger, Zorro, Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid...I could go on and on.

4) References to real history and mythology. Just about every Roman and Greek mythological story is referenced in Aquila. Britain's mistreatment of Ireland and Scotland and how that affected their war effort in WW II, The internal squabbles of Japanese and Chinese history, Spain's colonial times while battling problems at home. When you study actual history, you will noticed a LOT of references you missed in Pirate101.

I just enjoy playing much more.
I agree on just about every point. Sometimes the subtle allusions to quotes, fictional characters, historical figures and KI's twist on "history" are more entertaining than the game itself. Some go way beyond a casual reference... Rooster Cogburn for instance, right down to the Duke Wayne impression... Bat Masterson, the vampiric cowboy counting things the way "The Count" does on Sesame Street... Josey Quails... "...dyin' ain't much of a livin'". Donkey Hotay, The Three Amigos (huh!)... like you said, the list goes on and on.
Brilliant!

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
Ok, this one is really easy for me, Pirate101 in my opinion is defiantly the better game. Sometimes in the past I would kind of switch between pirate and wizard but every time I got a monthly membership to wizard I would always find myself halfway through the month staring at the computer looking absolutely bored waiting for my membership to expire so I could switch back to Pirate101. I mean I think there are several reasons why Pirate 101 is better.

1. Probably the main thing I like better about Pirate101 is the fact that your not alone. Your not just some student from a wizarding school with a wand running around trying to complete some quest, you have a crew that helps you in battle.

2. In Pirate101 you almost never get outnumbered, sure there are the occasional battle where you get outnumbered but in Wizard 101 it happens ALL THE TIME. You can be fighting a boss and he has one or two of his minions there whereas your all alone. I only ever got to like Marleybone in Wizard101 and it's probably because I had to do the same fight over and over again and it really took the fun out of it.

3. Wizard101 in my opinion had almost too much magic, I mean I like fantasy as much as the next guy but in a world run entirely by magic it gets kinda boring. I think Pirate101 finds the perfect mix of magic and real fighting that gives it added excitement and keeps it interesting. Plus I love the fact that we can sail the skyways and engage in ship battles in Pirate101.

4. I really felt like the Pirate101 storyline was just more interesting. Of course that's just my opinion but I really feel that Pirate101 gives an excitement that Wizard101 didn't.

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
Oh and a couple other things I didn't get to add

1. As pretty much everyone else here has said including myself is the fact that Wizard101 is extremely hard for the solo player. Now if you want to play with other players you have two options, one you can hit the team up button and wait half a day maybe even more and never find anyone else. Number two you can ask or maybe beg one or more of your friends to come and help you, but there's still a 50 50 chance that they'll come and I know from personal experience that it's not always easy to convince someone to walk away from what they're doing to come help you.

2. Tying in hand in hand with the fact that you have to do the whole game solo is what I found is the fact that dungeons are EXTREMELY BRUTAL in Wizard101 and takes a lot of the fun out of it.

3. As many others have said battles in Wizard101 normal and boss alike can be really tedious I found the " Magic Square" concept to be really boring and it seemed like my spells would always fizzle.

4. If your trying to compare the content of Wizard101 vs Pirate101 Wizard101 is usually going to come out on top because it had a several year head start. Wizard101 came out WAY before Pirate101 and in order to keep every one happy Kingsisle has to update Wizard101 while also working on Pirate101. But, Pirate101 has lots of recent updates improving its content and with Book 15 on the way its future looks bright. And hopefully it has lots of new updates to go!

Ensign
Apr 07, 2011
I like Wizard101's story line and play style more, maybe.... Pirate101's story-line is awesome too.

Ensign
Apr 07, 2011
Or actually,

1. Wizard101

2. Wizard101

3. Pirate101

4. Wizard101

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:
I really hate to take issue with this post, but your first statement is way off! Pirate101 is the better game and I'll prove it by using your comparison list.

1. Wizards making peace, well yes, there you have it completely, a glorified policeman. Pirates explore and start revolts against oppressive regimes ( sometimes bending the rules ), Jedi Knights.

2. I love the aspect of the feeling of real battle, the swish and clang of swords, the boom of cannon, the awesome power of a perfect chain when you use Chain Lighting! Plus in W101 your wizard has to wait for pips to cast a spell, when I can use assassin's strike whenever I want.

3. Solo is lonely, with no one at your back and no voice telling you how well you've done.

4. Magic Circle is static and booooring, Gridded Battleboard is dynamic, promotes strategy, exciting because it fully engages your mind.
I couldn't agree more with everything you said anecorbie. I have played wizard since before Celestia came out. I really enjoyed wizard101 until pirate101 came out. I was hooked. I tried going back to wizard (I was in Azteca) but it was just not as exciting (I am still somewhere in Azteca lol). Now I only play pirates and I absolutely LOVE all the companions, you never alone, even when you solo (although I enjoy having someone to play with). And they make me laugh out loud! A lot! Ratbeard, Catbeard, Hawkules and El Toro are my favorite! I really enjoy their banter with each other.
Another thing I feel is superior in P101 is their pet training system. (maybe w101 pet training has changed? I haven't played in so long I wouldn't know, please disregard if it has). I like that I can go questing and still be training multiple pets at the same time.

I also enjoy being able to get pet snacks/equipment/gold/nautical and companion Xp just by giving companions tasks. As long as they are on task you don't even have to be logged on. (Some days this is all I have time for).

One thing I do like better about wiz is the crafting, gardening and fishing. I am waiting patiently and with anticipation for this in P101. I also hope it will draw more people to p101. I had such fun crafting that Grizzleheim and Celestia house....I would love to have a house with a greenhouse for my plants in P101.

I had a lot of wonderful memories playing with wiz and I think it is a great game, but personally pirates seems to be more engaging.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
alexis2383 on Jun 14, 2016 wrote:
I couldn't agree more with everything you said anecorbie. I have played wizard since before Celestia came out. I really enjoyed wizard101 until pirate101 came out. I was hooked. I tried going back to wizard (I was in Azteca) but it was just not as exciting (I am still somewhere in Azteca lol). Now I only play pirates and I absolutely LOVE all the companions, you never alone, even when you solo (although I enjoy having someone to play with). And they make me laugh out loud! A lot! Ratbeard, Catbeard, Hawkules and El Toro are my favorite! I really enjoy their banter with each other.
Another thing I feel is superior in P101 is their pet training system. (maybe w101 pet training has changed? I haven't played in so long I wouldn't know, please disregard if it has). I like that I can go questing and still be training multiple pets at the same time.

I also enjoy being able to get pet snacks/equipment/gold/nautical and companion Xp just by giving companions tasks. As long as they are on task you don't even have to be logged on. (Some days this is all I have time for).

One thing I do like better about wiz is the crafting, gardening and fishing. I am waiting patiently and with anticipation for this in P101. I also hope it will draw more people to p101. I had such fun crafting that Grizzleheim and Celestia house....I would love to have a house with a greenhouse for my plants in P101.

I had a lot of wonderful memories playing with wiz and I think it is a great game, but personally pirates seems to be more engaging.
Crafting is one of the things I love most about W101, I even crafted the Wyrd House! Pet training is still a grind in W101, you still have to stop questing, take the pet to the Pet Pavilion, and play game after mind numbing game to raise that pet's level and only one pet at a time - what can be done in 2 weeks in P101 takes more than a month in W101.

Ensign
Apr 10, 2013
Oh hey, it's the old "go to a community and tell this community that their alternative is clearly superior in order to get extra attention and reactions" technique.

I played Wizard long before Pirate. Ultimately, I vastly prefer Pirate. This isn't to say Wizard is a bad game by any means - just different, and both games appeal differently to different people. Some people will contest that one is "better" than the other - I'd say they're more than welcome to say they enjoy one or the other more, but to claim either is "better" than the other is a bit silly. Both great and entertaining games, where each is different to appeal to different types of players. Kudos, KingsIsle.

P.S. Magic is for goobers.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
Adding to this, OH MY GOSH it is so hard to tell what the story line quest is in Wizard101. I shouldn't have to check the wiki to figure it out. While in pirate101 you see a golden trophy and can actually tell.

I know you can get to level 10 in wizard101 free trial but the pirate101 free trial has more of a story line so you want to continue. I sometimes go o W101 and I'm like, yay I have quests and then I'm like "well dang it I cant go there, why did it let me pick it up?" while in pirate101 it leaves you with one quest the story line its also easier to pick up where you left off.

Finally everyone has all ready said this but P101 is so much more interactive. You can select powers for your companions, you don't have the annoying pips and can just use your power once it comes up. You can select powers for your companions and select different ones to use so pvp is more diverse.