Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Worst Community Stories

AuthorMessage
Captain
Dec 06, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 23, 2016 wrote:
There's always going to be that risk of running into a few rotten bananas, when you play online, multiplayer games. But the peachy people, by far, outweigh the others.

KI/P101 does a fantastic job of giving the players options to help weed out and eliminate the bad seeds-- ignoring/muting, reporting offenses within the code of conduct, filling friends list with nice/trustworthy players, being able to remove not-so-nice individuals from the list, having pages of realms to find a safer haven to play in, and being able to change chat/filter settings. Plus more.

My guess is that the busy realms and ranked PvP are where most of the "ugliness" would be encountered-- but only from not being able to avoid certain matchups, in regards to PvP. But you can still mute the trouble-causing players.

Overall it's a very safe and friendly Spiral and if any players are constantly witnessing the so-called "toxicity"...well, perhaps they are not doing enough on their part to take advantage of the safety measures that KI has made available, in order to make it less "toxic".

I've played several other online/mmo's, and believe me-- the Pirate101 Community is faaaaaarrr from "toxic", in comparison to those others. In fact it's a pretty dang friendly, helpful and supportive crew, with way above average ways and means to ensure that the players have a positive and enjoyable gaming experience.

I am sorry for any that have experienced the ugly, but in my opinion (and from experience), those experiences are far from the norm and can be greatly reduced via in-game options. Just keep on piratin' and surround yourself with the right crew for you.
Yeah, like in club penguin there are some people who report you for having your own opinion.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I think the tower is where it can be the most ugly. From people that flake in the last floor to those who drink the potion with full gear on, do it only with friends.

But.... I had an AWESOME experience in the tower with my musketeer. Our team was of just musketeers, and it was soooo much fun! The Nefarious 5 barely had a chance.

But yes, there are some people who are mean, but there are also those who are awesome!

Like me. Lol.

Ensign
Apr 30, 2013
As everyone has said only the minority is bad and I have never met any of them. Some people I meet are friendly , nice and helpful but most ignore and you don't talk too. If you are called a noob just ignore them and noob came from the word newbie which is not negative. People very,very rarely be mean to someone else on Pirate101 .

The PVP areas I have no experience because for me it is boring though sadly that small percent of insults come from the PVP areas.

Smart Aedan Zest Lvl 64

Commodore
May 31, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 22, 2016 wrote:
I wonder what servers you're hanging out in. People who tear down others to build themselves up are truly pathetic. What's the big deal being a max level? We were all "noobs" once. The word "noob" should be banned from the game, IMO.
What we need is more people to stand up and stop the harassing of new players; if you see someone doing this - challenge them, say, "If you want to fight, then fight me, unless you're too scared to face someone of your own level."
I have been fortunate in my experiences, mostly because I avoided the crowded realms. But I will share this story that did happen to Misty and me on Avery realm in Avery's Court:
We were "lurking", just talking to ourselves and watching the action unfold. ( BTW, we both favor Skull Island fashions, stitched to level gear.) When this level 20 buck approaches us and begins to call us "noobs" and being completely obnoxious, well we switched to private chat and began wondering when he would notice my Nefarious Knives ( the only part of my ensemble that wasn't stitched ) and whether he would check our levels. Apparently he did, because he ported away quickly, lol. You just can't depend on clothes to tell you who is what level anymore.
Post Edit: I'm looking forward to the time that I'm no longer max level - when the level cap increases.
If I do happen to pop into a more crowded realm, which is highly unlikely unless I have friends in the Morphing Tent or I'm lurking, I do get a lot of negative comments on my Skull Island outfit. That isn't the worst though; it's easy to say, "Aye, I dress like this because I'm a pirate and not a cowboy or a gladiator," in response to someone going, "Ha, you dress like a noob!" or "Why are you dressed like a noob?" (It is also my opinion that the word "noob" isn't all that nice. I wish we weren't able to say it in chat.)

I frequently get a lot of, to be frank, creepy characters who seem to think that Misty the character is rather stunning and are quite taken by the way I chat. Apparently I fit into the category of whatever passes for desirable on the internet these days. I can think of several instances where I've been asked the horrid question, "Will you be my girl?" after talking to someone for about five minutes. Naturally, the answer is always no. It seems horribly inappropriate to me that anyone would even think of pressuring someone like that over the internet; you have no idea who's on the other side of the screen!

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Feb 24, 2016 wrote:
I think the tower is where it can be the most ugly. From people that flake in the last floor to those who drink the potion with full gear on, do it only with friends.

But.... I had an AWESOME experience in the tower with my musketeer. Our team was of just musketeers, and it was soooo much fun! The Nefarious 5 barely had a chance.

But yes, there are some people who are mean, but there are also those who are awesome!

Like me. Lol.
There's an entire thread about mean, rude, etc people in the tower, called "towering personalities". If you want to, you can check it out.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2014
It's amazed me how off-topic this has gotten. This was made to share your stories with the bad side of the community. I'm not here to argue about the good and bad side, I know that the good side overwhelms the bad side, and I'm sure everyone else here knows this. This became a Hot Topic for the wrong reasons, and I'm ashamed of this post now.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
The Grin Reaper on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
There's an entire thread about mean, rude, etc people in the tower, called "towering personalities". If you want to, you can check it out.
I know, just felt like posting this here.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
akhenaten751 on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
It's amazed me how off-topic this has gotten. This was made to share your stories with the bad side of the community. I'm not here to argue about the good and bad side, I know that the good side overwhelms the bad side, and I'm sure everyone else here knows this. This became a Hot Topic for the wrong reasons, and I'm ashamed of this post now.
But the message boards are supposed to be, or at least should be, a place that players can come to, in order to find the good in the game and the Community. So many players come here to show their excitement for the game and to support it and other players...so naturally if someone posts a thread that could possibly turn new players away from the game, others are going to reply to show the great and wonderful side of P101, and the Community. We want to see the game grow and ongoing negativity just may hinder that growth and support.

Those players posting the good side, in a constructive way, just prefer the P101 forums to be a place to help support the game and the Community and to also be a welcoming and inviting place for all ages of players to come. And of course to also share concerns, feedback and anything else P101 related. But to start a thread that is meant to point out the bad in the Community, is quite naturally going to get responses from players wanting to show the positive side of the Community-- as to support the game, other players and those that are new to the Community.

So, I'm actually proud when players help show this support.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
akhenaten751 on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
I do think you should be ashamed for trying to create a negative atmosphere. Your topic has prompted us to share a few horrible stories but also shows that there is more good than bad among players of P101, also many were trying to help you in finding those good players, so that you aren't experiencing the worse all the time.
Maybe this "bad side of the community" has been exaggerated?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
If I do happen to pop into a more crowded realm, which is highly unlikely unless I have friends in the Morphing Tent or I'm lurking, I do get a lot of negative comments on my Skull Island outfit. That isn't the worst though; it's easy to say, "Aye, I dress like this because I'm a pirate and not a cowboy or a gladiator," in response to someone going, "Ha, you dress like a noob!" or "Why are you dressed like a noob?" (It is also my opinion that the word "noob" isn't all that nice. I wish we weren't able to say it in chat.)

I frequently get a lot of, to be frank, creepy characters who seem to think that Misty the character is rather stunning and are quite taken by the way I chat. Apparently I fit into the category of whatever passes for desirable on the internet these days. I can think of several instances where I've been asked the horrid question, "Will you be my girl?" after talking to someone for about five minutes. Naturally, the answer is always no. It seems horribly inappropriate to me that anyone would even think of pressuring someone like that over the internet; you have no idea who's on the other side of the screen!
Aye, Esperanza attracts her share of male "admirers", but saying "no" usually takes care of that. Unfortunately, as a non-member I can't report those who cross the line into harassment of a more personal nature ( if you know what I mean ). But this has only happened twice to me in 3 1/2 years of game play, so it's hardly the "norm".

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
I do think you should be ashamed for trying to create a negative atmosphere. Your topic has prompted us to share a few horrible stories but also shows that there is more good than bad among players of P101, also many were trying to help you in finding those good players, so that you aren't experiencing the worse all the time.
Maybe this "bad side of the community" has been exaggerated?
Even the bad side is generally easily ignored. In all my time playing, that one encounter was the only unpleasant one. Most folks are friendly and helpful. Some simply don't respond, which is not negative, just a player concentrating on his/her game.

I've been lucky enough in P101 to avoid the "be my girl" pleas, generally, but as anecorbie points out, generally a "no thank you" will stop them here or in Wizard.

And what the heck do you need a 'girl' or 'boy' for in a game like this anyway? Whatever my avatar's gender, my pirate will fight just as effectively.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Feb 23, 2016 wrote:
One really bad experience in PvP was when I lost to this swashbuckler with my musketeer and afterwards, he said "spamming traps is bad". I've had a lot more, which has led me to hardly compete in pvp. What IS it with people in pvp?
That reminds me of one time I was fighting some guy on PVP and like after 2 rounds he said " I can already tell you're bad at PVP " We're friends now and chill.

Petty Officer
Jun 19, 2014
anecorbie on Feb 22, 2016 wrote:
I wonder what servers you're hanging out in. People who tear down others to build themselves up are truly pathetic. What's the big deal being a max level? We were all "noobs" once. The word "noob" should be banned from the game, IMO.
What we need is more people to stand up and stop the harassing of new players; if you see someone doing this - challenge them, say, "If you want to fight, then fight me, unless you're too scared to face someone of your own level."
I have been fortunate in my experiences, mostly because I avoided the crowded realms. But I will share this story that did happen to Misty and me on Avery realm in Avery's Court:
We were "lurking", just talking to ourselves and watching the action unfold. ( BTW, we both favor Skull Island fashions, stitched to level gear.) When this level 20 buck approaches us and begins to call us "noobs" and being completely obnoxious, well we switched to private chat and began wondering when he would notice my Nefarious Knives ( the only part of my ensemble that wasn't stitched ) and whether he would check our levels. Apparently he did, because he ported away quickly, lol. You just can't depend on clothes to tell you who is what level anymore.
Post Edit: I'm looking forward to the time that I'm no longer max level - when the level cap increases.
i agree

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
And another: I was in mooshu trying to find where Shiruku's quest was and I went into a dungeon and there was a guy there. As SOON as we entered the dungeon. He turned around and LEFT!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkmoordude on May 2, 2016 wrote:
And another: I was in mooshu trying to find where Shiruku's quest was and I went into a dungeon and there was a guy there. As SOON as we entered the dungeon. He turned around and LEFT!
Well, that's rude but its not being a trollish bully.

Ensign
Aug 27, 2012
While I'm sure everyone here is kind and considerate to other pirates, no matter their level or experience in the game, and I'm also sure that there are people out there who aren't so kind, so let me share my story of helping a "noob" (just started playing, first character "noob"). So I was in the morphing tent and this level six buccaneer was talking to this guy on my left who wasn't really kind to him, the level six would ask the other guy a question and he would just stand there only answering yes or no, so I go over there and friend the level six and start talking to him with the private chat answering his questions, offering help, giving "pro" tips, I also offered to morph when his pet got older, and we became good friends (this was only a couple of weeks ago) and I soon found out that he has too maxes in W101 and he has been helping me level up my wizard. So as the saying goes the only way to have a friend is to be a friend or perhaps what goes around comes around, you take your pick but I think they both apply here. So to sum this up (if the sayings didn't already) some people may not be all that nice but for those who are and are willing to help you can not only help someone in desperate need of some assistance but gain some yourself.

Sorry this is a little off of the main topic,
Thanks for listening

Lvl 65

Ensign
Apr 13, 2013
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Feb 23, 2016 wrote:
One really bad experience in PvP was when I lost to this swashbuckler with my musketeer and afterwards, he said "spamming traps is bad". I've had a lot more, which has led me to hardly compete in pvp. What IS it with people in pvp?
Well Captain Black, there are fair people in pvp and insult people in pvp. The mean swashbuckler you were dealing with likely had no idea what to do as a musketeer or how it feels the be a musketeer. There are just so many swashbucklers for one reason, high damage, and now loads of people have swashbucklers, and i call that, "OVER RATED!". people, mostly swashbucklers, are used to their high damage and low health and charging at buccs, privys,witchdoc and musketeers with their extremely high damage and avoiding traps. since musketeers mostly stay in the back and shoot to stay safe, they have to use traps as an early use of self defense at the start of any battle and hopefully defeat the enemy before harm will come before that musketeer. so try to talk about how it feels to be a musketeer and how if feels.

Hardy Portia Zest- level 64 Buccaneer

Ensign
Apr 13, 2013
akhenaten751 on Feb 22, 2016 wrote:
Ahoy. Recently, I came back to this game, and I deleted all of my pirates to start a new one. Doing this was blissful, and I had the same feeling I did when I started all the way back in beta. But, alas, this came with being pushed around by high level pirates. I was called a "noob", challenged to several duels, and when I declined, they'd point and laugh at me for being scared. This is absolutely aggravating, and I really wish this community wasn't so toxic. At times, this community can be downright awful, and disgraceful. This is just one of many stories I have with the bad side of our community. What are yours, and how did it go out?

Hopefully better than mine.
I barley ever go to pvp anymore because i'm mostly questing in aquila.

but anyway, so, I was in pvp and there was this max level who said things like "this place is for low levels only" and "no max levels to make if fair for these guys". hated him. who would be a max level and only battle low levels? don't answer that, that person would be someone who is too scared to fight me ( which i am currently level 64) and don't have the guts and bravery to try to battle someone their own level. so after his few battles with many low levels, ( about four at a time) there were only a few afk or "spectators" that were low levels and i challenged him to a fight. i mean seriously, I'm a level lower than him, that could count as a lower level.after a few rounds of him hiding, he finally decided to come out and face me. after my cat ninja and el toro were defeated, it was up to me and my eagle hoplite to face this guy's one last companion left and him at the same time to show him that he should pick on his own size. me and my eagle took out the max level and his last companion and right after the battle ended he switched to a different server or teleported to some place to hide from me.
Wow, this just happened yesterday.

Hardy Portia Zest- level 64 buccaneer- joke:how much did the pirate pay for a ear piercing?A: a BUCCANEER ( a buc-an-ear and buc-an-eer)

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
Hardy Portia Zest on May 3, 2016 wrote:
I barley ever go to pvp anymore because i'm mostly questing in aquila.

but anyway, so, I was in pvp and there was this max level who said things like "this place is for low levels only" and "no max levels to make if fair for these guys". hated him. who would be a max level and only battle low levels? don't answer that, that person would be someone who is too scared to fight me ( which i am currently level 64) and don't have the guts and bravery to try to battle someone their own level. so after his few battles with many low levels, ( about four at a time) there were only a few afk or "spectators" that were low levels and i challenged him to a fight. i mean seriously, I'm a level lower than him, that could count as a lower level.after a few rounds of him hiding, he finally decided to come out and face me. after my cat ninja and el toro were defeated, it was up to me and my eagle hoplite to face this guy's one last companion left and him at the same time to show him that he should pick on his own size. me and my eagle took out the max level and his last companion and right after the battle ended he switched to a different server or teleported to some place to hide from me.
Wow, this just happened yesterday.

Hardy Portia Zest- level 64 buccaneer- joke:how much did the pirate pay for a ear piercing?A: a BUCCANEER ( a buc-an-ear and buc-an-eer)
Nice joke, my suggestion is to share that on Aurora's thread " Pirate101 jokes " in the tavern.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
It's okay there pirate, I had that experience too.

It's just wrong some individuals behave like this and ruin the friendly atmosphere.

Remember these 4 steps, for a more enjoyable time.

1. Ignore thire comments

2. Try to reason with the player

3. Switch to another realm

4. If all else fail, use the ignore button. The report button is only use as a last resort.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Well one more recent story I have had was discrimination on class

I was chilling in the spar chamber and there was a 1v1 going on and a few other people, we were all talking and I forget why he said this but he said, "All witches are noobs" me and this other witch threw witty comebacks back and fourth until he finished his PvP match and he challenged me

Old scratch was my saviour and I crushed him using my barricade strategy
We are friends now and he doesn't dare say that again

Ensign
Aug 22, 2011
Wasn't too bad in the grand scheme of things, but I was once in a battle with a guy who started telling me that I couldn't fight because I was a girl, and that he was better than me because he was a guy. Yeesh! I told him to get a life and he left without another word. It's kind of funny in hindsight, but at the time I was super annoyed. What's my gender got to do with how good I am in a fight?!?