Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Privateers and Slashy Weapons

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 29, 2012
There's something odd about Slashy weapons and Privateers. Why do Privateers use strength to attack when attacking with Slashy weapons instead of using will?

This is kind of weird because Privateers have a large amount of will and they use strength when attacking with Slashy weapons. (Note that Privateers get damage increase talents for Slashy weapons). It's also odd that when you complete a quest that gives you a class weapon, you'll end up with a Slashy/Smashy weapon that utilizes strength to attack instead of will. So I got a question for you guys. Do you think Privateers should utilize will when attacking with Slashy weapons because I think they should.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ThaZoner11 on Jan 15, 2016 wrote:
There's something odd about Slashy weapons and Privateers. Why do Privateers use strength to attack when attacking with Slashy weapons instead of using will?

This is kind of weird because Privateers have a large amount of will and they use strength when attacking with Slashy weapons. (Note that Privateers get damage increase talents for Slashy weapons). It's also odd that when you complete a quest that gives you a class weapon, you'll end up with a Slashy/Smashy weapon that utilizes strength to attack instead of will. So I got a question for you guys. Do you think Privateers should utilize will when attacking with Slashy weapons because I think they should.
I believe its because its a physical attack with a weapon and not the "spells" a Privateer generally uses.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Actually, I now found out its because of the weapon - if a swashbuckler uses a slashy weapon, then they need to use strength and don't get to use their agility. Weapons = ability.
If you want to use your Will for attacks use a staffy weapon.

Ensign
Jun 29, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 15, 2016 wrote:
I believe its because its a physical attack with a weapon and not the "spells" a Privateer generally uses.
I can see where you're coming at but some Privateer companions like Lucky Jack Russell and Catbeard use will to attack instead of strength and from what I can see from them, they don't use magical weapons or spells. Also I think it's worth mentioning the Nefarious Five drop "Bound Oni's Bulwark" uses will to attack.

Ensign
Jun 29, 2012
Also I wanted to point out one thing.

Swashbucklers train in Stabby weapons: They use agility

Musketeers train in Shooty weapons: They use agility

Buccaneers train in Smashy weapons: They use strength

Witchdoctors train in Staffy weapons: They use will

Now Privateers train in Slashy weapons: They use strength (which is one of their weakest attributes)

This really doesn't add up at all. Every other class on this game uses their primary attributes for the weapons they train in EXCEPT Privateers. That is what bothers me. This right here is why I think Privateers should use will when attacking with Slashy because they shouldn't use strength if it isn't their primary attribute.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
It all has to do with the weapons - all weapons have an ability modifier.
All classes can train and use these weapons, I ( as a SB ) have trained slashy, smashy, choppy and staffy. If I use a weapon that doesn't have agility I give up my agility bonus.
If you want to use your will modifier, use weapons that have that modifier - staffy or, as you mentioned, the Bond Oni's Bulwark.
Those Privy companions are NPCs under your control, since your will is the best modifier, they use that and your will enhancing buffs.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
ThaZoner11 on Jan 16, 2016 wrote:
I can see where you're coming at but some Privateer companions like Lucky Jack Russell and Catbeard use will to attack instead of strength and from what I can see from them, they don't use magical weapons or spells. Also I think it's worth mentioning the Nefarious Five drop "Bound Oni's Bulwark" uses will to attack.
Players and companions operate under different rules (you can't compare them). Jack Russell and Catbeard are using Will, because you gave them that as their highest stat. See below from Ratbeard:

"Privateer companions (who don't use equipment) will use their highest stat-- usually Will-- to attack. Privateer players will use whatever stat your weapon requires. If you equip a pistol, you'll use your AGI. If you equip a wand or staff, you'll use your WILL. And if you equip a sword, you'll use your STR. If you equip a combo weapon (for example, wand and pistol), you'll use either WILL or AGI (whichever is higher)."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/privateer-still-attacking-with-strength-8ad6a4184641eb740146434209051c30/8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Oran from Urz on Jan 18, 2016 wrote:
Players and companions operate under different rules (you can't compare them). Jack Russell and Catbeard are using Will, because you gave them that as their highest stat. See below from Ratbeard:

"Privateer companions (who don't use equipment) will use their highest stat-- usually Will-- to attack. Privateer players will use whatever stat your weapon requires. If you equip a pistol, you'll use your AGI. If you equip a wand or staff, you'll use your WILL. And if you equip a sword, you'll use your STR. If you equip a combo weapon (for example, wand and pistol), you'll use either WILL or AGI (whichever is higher)."

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/privateer-still-attacking-with-strength-8ad6a4184641eb740146434209051c30/8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41c4641eb6901464380abc129a4
Uhh sorry but you're totally wrong.

Even if you gave a privateer companion rank 4 of strength and 0 will, he/she'd still have more will.

And how old is Ratbeard's quote? 3 years? There are will-based swords (granted, very rare) and same for combo weapons.

What you guys forget to mention, and I already said that in a thread not too long ago, is that privateers used to be strength based. Then they changed them to will... but they overlooked the weapons, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

As a result privateer have very little choice when it comes to melee will weapons, as far as I know there are only 3.
(Oni bulkwar, staff of power and ranked pvp weapons)

It's probably what the OP meant, privy's lack choice of weapons (at least melee ones)

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Silver Angel on Jan 19, 2016 wrote:
Uhh sorry but you're totally wrong.

Even if you gave a privateer companion rank 4 of strength and 0 will, he/she'd still have more will.

And how old is Ratbeard's quote? 3 years? There are will-based swords (granted, very rare) and same for combo weapons.

What you guys forget to mention, and I already said that in a thread not too long ago, is that privateers used to be strength based. Then they changed them to will... but they overlooked the weapons, I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

As a result privateer have very little choice when it comes to melee will weapons, as far as I know there are only 3.
(Oni bulkwar, staff of power and ranked pvp weapons)

It's probably what the OP meant, privy's lack choice of weapons (at least melee ones)
1.) No offense, but I will stick with Ratbeard's (or other KI developers) statements over player observations, even if they are three years old. Unless your statement was verified from KI somewhere?

2.) Correct, if the companions starting WILL ends up higher than their STR (even if you add STR), they will still use WILL over STR (providing they do not have equipment). I'm under the impression that there are companions whose highest stat can be changed. Point remains the same, companions have different rules than players.

3.) True, there are less Privateer slashy weapons that are WILL based than are STR based, but that was not the statement I was replying to. I've reposted what I was responding to below:

"I can see where you're coming at but some Privateer companions like Lucky Jack Russell and Catbeard use will to attack instead of strength."

I'm under the impression that Jack Russell's and Catbeard's sword count as "equipment," therefore they should be using STR as their primary stat. However, if that is not what is happening then to answer the OP....bullet#2 would the reason why.

Ensign
Jun 29, 2012
I know that weapons have attribute modifiers on them but each of weapon type is trained for a certain class. Slashy weapons are a skill taught to Privateers but Slashy weapons use strength. You could say I can just train in Staffy and use a Staffy/Slashy combo but anyone that uses that knows that the Staffy/Slashy combo is worse than the Slashy weapons when we're talking about damage. I just think that there should be a will modifier for Slashy weapons if wielded by a Privateer. Privateers shouldn't use strength if they train in Slashy weapons. They should utilize their will.

Privateers are the only class on the game that uses a weaker attribute for the weapon they're training in. Privateers are also the only class that has to do so much just so they can use their primary attribute for their weapon. I never done this on playing as other classes but if I really want to use will for attacking, I have to train in Staffy weapons and as I said before, it isn't really worth it considering the damage.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ThaZoner11 on Jan 21, 2016 wrote:
I know that weapons have attribute modifiers on them but each of weapon type is trained for a certain class. Slashy weapons are a skill taught to Privateers but Slashy weapons use strength. You could say I can just train in Staffy and use a Staffy/Slashy combo but anyone that uses that knows that the Staffy/Slashy combo is worse than the Slashy weapons when we're talking about damage. I just think that there should be a will modifier for Slashy weapons if wielded by a Privateer. Privateers shouldn't use strength if they train in Slashy weapons. They should utilize their will.

Privateers are the only class on the game that uses a weaker attribute for the weapon they're training in. Privateers are also the only class that has to do so much just so they can use their primary attribute for their weapon. I never done this on playing as other classes but if I really want to use will for attacking, I have to train in Staffy weapons and as I said before, it isn't really worth it considering the damage.
Privateer is meant to be the "support" class of P101. This class isn't intended to be a single tank mowing down the enemy. It's the leader class that directs the battle, buffing, protecting & healing their companions and team mates.
So many Privateers I meet want to be in the midst of the action, they act like low-powered Buccaneers or Swashbucklers and their companions and team mates suffer for this.
Your companions are your weapons, how you use them makes a Privateer very powerful indeed.
Look at the attacks that you get, is there anything like the charges or backstabs, the melee fighters have?

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 21, 2016 wrote:
Privateer is meant to be the "support" class of P101. This class isn't intended to be a single tank mowing down the enemy. It's the leader class that directs the battle, buffing, protecting & healing their companions and team mates.
So many Privateers I meet want to be in the midst of the action, they act like low-powered Buccaneers or Swashbucklers and their companions and team mates suffer for this.
Your companions are your weapons, how you use them makes a Privateer very powerful indeed.
Look at the attacks that you get, is there anything like the charges or backstabs, the melee fighters have?
It's very much true but it helps! If privy train up relentless and the other 2 melee epics if they wish (sometimes people don't like cheap shot and flanking) and they get a pet that grants another melee epic they can be dealing some nice damage but alas they must use strength to attack losing some damage off of repel boarders, I personally think that there should be more will melee weapons some time soon

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 21, 2016 wrote:
It's very much true but it helps! If privy train up relentless and the other 2 melee epics if they wish (sometimes people don't like cheap shot and flanking) and they get a pet that grants another melee epic they can be dealing some nice damage but alas they must use strength to attack losing some damage off of repel boarders, I personally think that there should be more will melee weapons some time soon
The attacks I'm talking about are the ones specific to Privateers; as you see, they don't get melee attacks. They do get a talent: Repel Boarders, and as that's really weak, it shows that privies aren't meant to join in melee combat.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 22, 2016 wrote:
The attacks I'm talking about are the ones specific to Privateers; as you see, they don't get melee attacks. They do get a talent: Repel Boarders, and as that's really weak, it shows that privies aren't meant to join in melee combat.
I still think it should be balanced for the reason I said above so that repel boarders can be good

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
anecorbie on Jan 22, 2016 wrote:
Then why give repel boarder at all?

Beside, pvp-wise privy are better off being melee, trust me.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Wine and chocolates my sweet..............She does love me!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Jun 29, 2012
I don't think Privateers being a support class is a valid reason to handicap their damage in a way like this.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ThaZoner11 on Jan 25, 2016 wrote:
I don't think Privateers being a support class is a valid reason to handicap their damage in a way like this.
It's not important for a Privateer to be in the midst of a battle, they do better of to the back and let their companions deal the damage.
Other classes have their methods of fighting, Musketeers and Witchdoctors are better equipped to deal damage from the "rear"; only melee classes have to deal with face to face combat and therefore their damage must be boosted by their weapon choices.
It's not a handicap if you use will boosted weapons. I get handicapped if I don't use the "right" weapons, so why not you?