Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

-[SPOILERS]-: Ratbeard: Friend or Foe?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 19, 2015
Hello everyone!
Today, I'd like to discuss a rather spoiler-heavy discussion. (Only a spoiler if you haven't completed Skull Island up to the quest: ''Gunn's Gold''.)

Is Ratbeard a friend, or a deceptive mastermind?

During the events of the quest: ''Gunn's Gold'' you successfully allow Ratbeard to join your crew, albeit under dire- For him- circumstances.
This, of course, raises a question: Is Ratbeard truly reformed? After Ratbeard gets promoted to Rat Admiral, he appears to be well accustomed to doing good deeds - Much to his surprise.
I'd like to start a discussion on whether you think Ratbeard is truly reformed, or is actually scheming towards a mutiny.

I personally would like to think he's truly reformed, what say you?

-Octavio Walker, Level 42 Witchdoctor
-Samir Walker, Level 15 and rising Privateer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
NauticaStaria on Dec 31, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone!
Today, I'd like to discuss a rather spoiler-heavy discussion. (Only a spoiler if you haven't completed Skull Island up to the quest: ''Gunn's Gold''.)

During the events of the quest: ''Gunn's Gold'' you successfully allow Ratbeard to join your crew, albeit under dire- For him- circumstances.
This, of course, raises a question: Is Ratbeard truly reformed? After Ratbeard gets promoted to Rat Admiral, he appears to be well accustomed to doing good deeds - Much to his surprise.
I'd like to start a discussion on whether you think Ratbeard is truly reformed, or is actually scheming towards a mutiny.

I believe he's reformed, plus its useful to have him around to threaten the other low life Wharf Rats who seem to either admire or fear him.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
What sort of evidence might you have that he plans to mutiny? This is all just baseless speculation.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I'm sure if he really is still bad, our Kraken Skulls companion will see to it.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Hello everyone!

Have you tried asking him directly?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
While I do think Ratbeard's still a black-hearted scoundrel, I don't think he'd ever mutiny against his captain. He might hand over gold and bounty grudgingly, but I believe he realizes that this new path is helping him atone for his past; it's bringing him to a better future.

Ensign
Sep 08, 2015
Well, if Ratbeard really wanted, he could of killed the entire crew a LONG time ago. So he has changed. Remember when you defeat Lasko in Flotsam and Ratbeard says that he thought that the drops he put into the food were knockout drops? He was just being a simple pirate! How can you blame him? I don't blame him, he was just as much of a pirate as we are.

Annoying Amber 43851

And he was honest. Did you see his face?

Lieutenant
Aug 17, 2014
Friend, if he wasn't our friend why would he help us do good deeds?

Petty Officer
Sep 02, 2015
He is a friend, though when I completed The Volcano on my Swash, Sarah Steele was definitely opposed to the fact that i was agreeing to let "the lowest blackguard of the skyways" into my crew. He is on your side, but at times can be a bit shady with his dialogue Lol.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Hello everyone!

That's a very interesting thought, NauticaStaria, and I like it! I agree, I think he's changed, but who says he's not hiding at least something from us?

Thanks and Good Hunting,

- Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 23 Swashbuckler

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
I remember reading something a while back from one of Blind Mew's threads that mentioned upcoming betrayals in the future. When asked if any of the companions would be part of this betrayal, Blind Mew said that once someone becomes your companion, they are your companion for life. Obviously, not your pirate's entire in-universe life, but for the rest of the game.

That being said, many companions have made it clear that this is just a phase in their lives. Monkey King, for example, is only planning on staying with you for as long as it takes for him to repay his debt and get out of the helmet. Hawkules sees this is another adventure, and El Toro would like to get back to Sally as soon as possible. Subodai and Kobe have confirmed that they are here to help you reach your future and then they'll likely be gone. Much as I'm sure we have forever changed the lives of our crew members and the people around us, they do not revolve around us. They are our friends, but they are also pirates. They are thieves. They are service people. They are engineers. They are marauders. They are adventurers.

And that is what this is to them. An adventure. I truly believe that as loyal as they are, this will all end one day. We will never see that today, but it will happen. I mean, look at Marco Pollo's legendary crew. Absolutely nobody stayed together. Catbird and Argos were obviously good friends and respected each other. I imagine Pollo and Clark bonded over both being chickens (despite Valencia being near the heart of the spiral and Cool Ranch being much farther away).

I forgot where I was going with this.

Okay, to sum it all up, no crew member betrayals I don't think my heart could handle that.

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Sky Captain

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Helpful Aurora Par... on Jan 24, 2016 wrote:
That's a very interesting thought, NauticaStaria, and I like it! I agree, I think he's changed, but who says he's not hiding at least something from us?

Thanks and Good Hunting,

- Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 23 Swashbuckler
He probably is hiding quite a bit from us. I hope we learn more about Ratbeard's backstory, and perhaps the story will involve more of the companions besides promotion quests :D
Also, to me, Ratbeard seems like the most hardcore pirate on the crew. I mean, look at how intimidating and nasty he can be ("Why, I see ye have all of your fingers! Good for you!"),

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
That's an interesting question,Ratbeard is a complex character.

I would say, he is a friend( for now )there are a lot of good deeds he have done to change him.However he might have some dark secrets he might be secretly telling Captain Avery,that our main captain your pirate character(s) that may not know about.

Who knows,weather he stay as a friend or may change his mind to go back his old way of life.