Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Best and Worst World

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2014
Ahoy, everyone! Today, I'd like to talk about the best and worst worlds in the game. My ranking of all the worlds are:

Worst
Marleybone
Monquista
Valencia
Aquila
Skull Island
MooShu
Cool Ranch
Best

I know, not very many people like Cool Ranch, but being from Oklahoma myself, I was able to get most of the easter eggs and references to old American times. Not only that, but being a Musketeer with dual pistols, a cowboy hat, cloak, and boots makes you feel like a desperado. And who wouldn't wanna be a desperado?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
akhenaten751 on Nov 19, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy, everyone! Today, I'd like to talk about the best and worst worlds in the game. My ranking of all the worlds are:

Worst
Marleybone
Monquista
Valencia
Aquila
Skull Island
MooShu
Cool Ranch
Best

I know, not very many people like Cool Ranch, but being from Oklahoma myself, I was able to get most of the easter eggs and references to old American times. Not only that, but being a Musketeer with dual pistols, a cowboy hat, cloak, and boots makes you feel like a desperado. And who wouldn't wanna be a desperado?
I think a lot of people will be disagreeing with you about CR being best ; however I'm not going to get into that. What really surprises me is that you think Marleybone is a worst world! I don't understand this, for quests ( both main and sides ), story line, two excellent promotions, music and art work alone, Marleybone, IMO, is the best world in P101 ( followed closely by Xol Akmul ( also for the scenery and music & a personal favorite of mine ).
I live in Texas and of course I got every single Easter egg, but I never felt like a pirate in CR.

Petty Officer
Sep 26, 2014
anecorbie on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
I think a lot of people will be disagreeing with you about CR being best ; however I'm not going to get into that. What really surprises me is that you think Marleybone is a worst world! I don't understand this, for quests ( both main and sides ), story line, two excellent promotions, music and art work alone, Marleybone, IMO, is the best world in P101 ( followed closely by Xol Akmul ( also for the scenery and music & a personal favorite of mine ).
I live in Texas and of course I got every single Easter egg, but I never felt like a pirate in CR.
Marleybone's story for me was just the same thing over and over:
"You help me, and I'll help you."
Not only that, but a lot of it in there is just filler. While the promotions in Marleybone are all superb, the rest is just dull. Not to mention the only other good thing I see in it is the soundtrack.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
I personally think Skull Island is the worst.
#1 thing I don't like is the music. Mostly because it's the only music I hear anymore, since there's nowhere else to go for any reason, except the tower when I have time.

Valencia music is pretty cool.

hint HINT HINT

Admiral
May 30, 2010
akhenaten751 on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
Not only that, but a lot of it in there is just filler. While the promotions in Marleybone are all superb, the rest is just dull. Not to mention the only other good thing I see in it is the soundtrack.
Really? I found Cool Ranch to be amazingly tedious, even with the addition of the stagecoach to cut down on the interminable stretches between where you were and where someone was sending you to do their job. I didn't feel piratical in CR -- I felt like I was in a really bad cheesy western flick and there wasn't even a singing cowboy with a dancing horse to break the monotony. At least in Marleybone I felt like I was a pirate.

Cool Ranch was like that early part of Wizard101 where everyone wanted you to do their homework for them. Sure, you were helping them out but at what cost? They missed out on their education and you got beat to snot by the things they were getting credit for avoiding.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
akhenaten751 on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
"... just filler."
Just like CR only more so, longer and dull, almost no humor. While MB was funny ( best side quests in the game - Were man? Where man & Mann the bounty hunter.), it was also shorter, and had the Armada.
We'll never agree on this subject.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
anecorbie on Nov 20, 2015 wrote:
I agree with ye lass Marleybone be one of the best worlds, it be fact

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
Here's how I would put it;
Best
Cool Ranch
Valencia
Marleybone
Aquila
Monquista
MooShu
Avernus
Worst

Admiral
May 30, 2010
dk4vision on Nov 21, 2015 wrote:
Here's how I would put it;
Best
Cool Ranch
Valencia
Marleybone
Aquila
Monquista
MooShu
Avernus
Worst
Can you really count Avernus? After all, you literally did nothing but sail through it and grab some doom shards. It hardly counts as a world at all.

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
Personally, mine is
Worst World
Monquista
Skull Island
Aquila
Mooshu
Marleybone
Valencia
Cool Ranch
Best World
I don't hate any of the worlds, but I never look forward to having to re-do Monquista; though it did have some fun quests. Cool Ranch is my favorite, because even though it's long, I love the music and the story in that world.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Nov 21, 2015 wrote:
Really? I found Cool Ranch to be amazingly tedious, even with the addition of the stagecoach to cut down on the interminable stretches between where you were and where someone was sending you to do their job. I didn't feel piratical in CR -- I felt like I was in a really bad cheesy western flick and there wasn't even a singing cowboy with a dancing horse to break the monotony. At least in Marleybone I felt like I was a pirate.

Cool Ranch was like that early part of Wizard101 where everyone wanted you to do their homework for them. Sure, you were helping them out but at what cost? They missed out on their education and you got beat to snot by the things they were getting credit for avoiding.
the three amigos where there! Sorry dos amigos y uno lol.....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Nov 21, 2015 wrote:
"... just filler."
Just like CR only more so, longer and dull, almost no humor. While MB was funny ( best side quests in the game - Were man? Where man & Mann the bounty hunter.), it was also shorter, and had the Armada.
We'll never agree on this subject.
I like Marleybone. I just wish the sun would come out.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I liked cool ranch because it was so big. I like to disappear into the imagination of games. I guess it would be boring to people who live out west but I've never been there so I found it beautiful.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Nov 22, 2015 wrote:
I liked cool ranch because it was so big. I like to disappear into the imagination of games. I guess it would be boring to people who live out west but I've never been there so I found it beautiful.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
On Cool Ranch:
"It's a lovely place, if you like dust." - Dead Mike
About Marleybone:
"Marleybone, I fell off a roof there once." - Dead Mike
I've found that Dead Mike has some interesting observations on places he's visited. I wonder if he's been to Polaris and what he would say about it.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Here are my personal ranking of each world from best to worst.

1.Aquila
2.Skull Island
3.Marleybone ( or as Hawkules say Barley Corn )
4.MooShu
5.Valencia
6.Cool Ranch
7.Dragonsypre/Arevanus
8.Monquista

Aquila is the best in my opinon, it reminds my of Homer's two epic poems.Plus that world is breath taking to look at and currently the most challenging world,beside Moo Manchu tower,the smuggler's arena and Ranked pvp matches.

Monquista this reminded of Gulaver's travel,how did our pirate character(s) fit in those tiny buildings ? Plus how did Branabus,Hawkules,Goronado and the other extra large companions manage to got inside, these tiny buildings hmm...

Well that's about it for this post and have a happy holidays.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
DuranteRamses87 on Nov 22, 2015 wrote:
I like Marleybone. I just wish the sun would come out.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
The sun'll come out tomorrow....

Sorry. I'll behave now.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You will never convince me that CR had anything to do with pirates, it was a drag and a pain to go through. Boring as detention & it took forever - completely slowed down the story. The only good thing about it was the companions and the destruction of our first Elite.
This is my rating ( and I'm sure a few will disagree with it, but I don't care. Everyone is allowed to state and opinion. ) :
Best
Marleybone ( If I could give an award, this is the world that would win, as I said before, for storyline both main and sides, and art. )
Skull Island ( what's not to love? The heart land of piracy, all 4 skyways offer something. But I would like to mention Xol Akmul as a favorite. )
Valencia
Aquila & MooShu ( belong together for the artwork alone )
Cool Ranch
Worst
My 2 cents worth, take it or leave it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Nov 23, 2015 wrote:
The sun'll come out tomorrow....

Sorry. I'll behave now.
I was going to say that but I restrained myself.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Here's my order & I completely know, understand & welcome that each pirate will have their own preferred order, for whatever reason(s). Hey, we all are individuals with our own brains & way of seeing/hearing things...now aren't we? Can't discredit someone else's preferences when it comes to individual opinions & likes.

Favorite(s) to least preferred.

Marleybone/Cool Ranch (vastly different, but enjoyed equally for different reasons)
MooShu (love samurai culture/history & far east philosophy/spirituality)
Valencia (amazing architecture & intellect found within)
Skull Island (pirate-y & where it all began-- just a bit jumbled)
Aquila (beautiful architecture & epic adventure)
Monquista (love monkeys, just seemed it was missing a lil' something)

Sure this is a 'pirate game' but it's also a fantasy, RPG game. So clearly locales, worlds, characters & adventures don't have to be 'all pirate-y' for them to be enjoyable. In fact, I came to enjoy P101 because it was a blending of pirates & so much else-- literature, humor, intellect, history & pop culture. For me to say that I didn't like a world because it didn't fit the pirate image, would be taking away from all of the other goodness scattered & embedded throughout the game & even the 'non-pirate-y' worlds.

I personally think CR had a ton of humor & really funny moments. Cool Ranch's humor fit what a lot of Western themed pop culture represented- slap stick-ish pun w/ a side of sophisticated 'know your stuff' wit...a la Mel Brooks style. Marleybone's humor is more of the dark & well read humor w/ a few surprise laugh-out-loud moments. But to say there was almost no humor in CR, is, at least in my opinion...entirely untrue. Just might not be a preferred style of humor for some. And CR's music, albeit entirely lacking in piratical nature, really got the juices flowin' for some reason.

It's actually great seeing players having different world preferences. Really shows that the game has something to offer for everyone.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Here is my list:

BEST
Skull Island: where it all begins. The most "piratical" world, naturally. Lots to do. Very interesting and distinct flavor to the towns - Scrimshaw, Puerto Mico, Floatsam, etc. - all different. It is where you can buy the most piratical-looking gear. The ships sold there look like pirate ships. The Gold Monkey! Port Regal is a lot of fun.

Marleybone: great scenes and dialogue ("Have you seen what passes for grooming in this place?!"), strong piratical feel, including the ships. Good crew recruits from quests.

Monquista: Monkeys! The first new skyway you enter after SI - very exciting (OK, maybe not so much if you are on your nth pirate). Strong main storyline (Gortez and the resistance). The final dungeon/quest is a strong one. Love the running jokes about size. Monkeys!! I still feel piratical as I sail around. Pity it is such a short chapter. Did I mention it has monkeys!?

Valencia: close to a tie with Monquista: both are short chapters, but nicely developed worlds. Valencia nicely advances the storyline and gives us our first real feel for why the Armada MUST be stopped.

MooShoo
: Some really challenging dungeons and fights. The piratical feel is diminished, however. Pretty ships. It does have Monkey King, though.

Aquila: again, some challenging dungeons and fights. But the piratical flavor of the game is even weaker here. Pirates in togas?? Not enough monkeys.

Cool Ranch: I don't dread Cool Ranch as much as I did before the addition of the stagecoach (bless you, KingsIsle!), but the world has zero piratical flavor as do the companions you pick up along the way (although to be fair el Toro [insert trumpet fanfare] is one of the coolest companions in the game). With the exception of el Toro, my Cool Ranch companions always wind up benched. It is nicely designed in many - most - ways, but it just does not fit well into a game about Pirates.
WORST

-Indigo

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
POST SCRIPT (ran out of space with the previous post).
I expect more than anything else (post stagecoach addition) that separates CR lovers from haters is how you react to a Cowboys-and-Injuns world in a game about pirates. For me, the reason MooShoo, Aquila and Cool Ranch are last is more than anything else the feel of those worlds.

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Jul 23, 2013
Best to Least Best
Aquila
Marleybone
Valencia
Monquista
Skull Island
Cool Ranch

Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Nov 24, 2015 wrote:
I was going to say that but I restrained myself.
Well, someone had to do it. This time the stain is on my soul.

And the earworm was in my ear until I broke out some Gilbert & Sullivan.

Lieutenant
Aug 19, 2011
"Best and worst worlds"? Is there even such thing as a "worst" world in this game? Stop making stuff up.

...Just pulling yer peg leg.

Anyway, while each world definitely has their own uniqueness, funny moments, and great things about it; there are some things to them that has me prefer one over the other.

Heavily influenced by how I felt amidst the atmosphere, from best (or most favorite) to least favorable:

Aquila is beautiful, majestic, and promises tons of epic adventures just waiting to be had that will live on in memory, and stories that could last for generations. That is the vibe I get, and I just can't get enough of it. Also, who doesn't like some good ol' mythology?!

Marleybone is so dark and serious, yet fun all the same. The sense of danger, chaos, and edginess this world offers is definitely a fitting setting for a daring (and probably mischievous) scallywag. I think the sun would probably feel a little out of place here - hence its absence.

Mooshu is exotic, and exotic can be very beautiful. The skyways are simply breathtaking, and I can't get enough of the music either. From each of the villages there is so much charm and tranquility... Sometimes, I almost never want to leave.

Valencia: the architecture is captivating, without the Armada's help anyway. Those clockworks with all their different kinds of impressive doohickeys very much indicates that we have our work cut out for us, which is quite promising.

Skull Island: one word: Pirates. Another word: Adventure. An awesome combination, need I say more?

Cool Ranch: definitely charming, and upbeat - for the most part anyway. I probably have to take Falmea's word for it being nice around this time of year (referring to her most recent post).

Monquista: perhaps smaller than the height its civilians believe in themselves. I thought the atmosphere seemed a little gloomy, and maybe a little lackluster, though I could admire the architecture of some of the buildings.

And that's just my take.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Best to worst?

Marleybone. The flavor is right, the quests are entertaining and you don't have to go skiving off across the world because some chicken is too lazy to do the job he was hired to do.

Skull Island. Lots of fun little quests for new pirates to carve their cutlasses into. Amusing and sunny skies. As a Gilbert & Sullivan lover, I absolutely adored Port Regal in particular.

MooShu didn't make me feel terribly piratical, but at least I could kind of justify my character being there as a pirate. The quests were interesting, the fights were tough.

Achea was delightful for the classical feel, although I didn't feel terribly piratical there. More than I did in Cool Ranch, but still more of a random adventurer than a pirate.

Valencia was short and sweet, and still managed to make me feel like I was being a pirate.

Monquista was short. The monkeys amused me. I could imagine reasons a pirate might be there.

Avernus doesn't count. We did nothing but sail through it a couple of time, but at least I was a pirate sailing through unknown skies.

Cool Ranch is dead last. There was no reason for a pirate to be there. I couldn't imagine why a pirate would. The quests were not engaging for the most part, and the sailing through from one skyway to the next was excruciating until the stagecoach came in. I still find it dull and dread as my younger pirates come to it. Half my pirates still have to slog through it, and I resent its existence. I'll probably dual box them through to speed up the progress and cut down on how many times I have to go from Cooper's Roost to Haunted Skyway and back.