Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witchdoctor Companions are USELESS

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
I don't like complaining about something, but this has been bugging me for a while.
When are the developers going to give witchdoctor companions a buff?
1. Their range is appalling. Can they really be called "ranged" units if you have to stand 3 steps away from the unit you're trying to attack just to hit?
2. Their accuracy is appalling. After training accurate up to rank 4, my serpent augur had a grand total of... 96 accuracy.
She can't even hit boxes, let alone actual pirates.
3. Their damage doesn't compensate. You'd think that having all these flaws would mean that they would have super high damage, or another stat being great. But no. The damage they dish out is decent at best, but since they can barely hit, this adds onto the list of why they are useless as a companion class.

What witchdoctor companions should have are spells. A lot of spells. Since the witchdoctor class in the first place doesn't use it's basic attacks often, our companions shouldn't either.

If you have any suggestions, that would be much appreciated.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DeathWiz101378 on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
I don't like complaining about something, but this has been bugging me for a while.
1. Their range is appalling. Can they really be called "ranged" units if you have to stand 3 steps away from the unit you're trying to attack just to hit?
2. Their accuracy is appalling. After training accurate up to rank 4, my serpent augur had a grand total of... 96 accuracy.
3. Their damage doesn't compensate. You'd think that having all these flaws would mean that they would have super high damage, or another stat being great. But no. The damage they dish out is decent at best, but since they can barely hit, this adds onto the list of why they are useless as a companion class.

What witchdoctor companions should have are spells. A lot of spells. Since the witchdoctor class in the first place doesn't use it's basic attacks often, our companions shouldn't either.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Actually, my WD's witchdoctor companions do very well, I'm fond of Mormo, Carcarius and the Serpent Augur has decent accuracy - she always hits. I use her in the Tower of Moo I suggest that you use Greater Juju and Carcarius' will boost.
My beast companions OTH, stink, ( even with the recent upgrade, even with a beast banner on them. )

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
I think that's a very solid idea the witchdoctor companions strength should not be their auto attacks giving them epic powers would I think make them viable And spice things up some could have ravens or vodoo touch etc witchdoctor are the least most common companion I think they were afraid of making them overpowered but they really need that buff

Ensign
May 23, 2015
anecorbie on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
Actually, my WD's witchdoctor companions do very well, I'm fond of Mormo, Carcarius and the Serpent Augur has decent accuracy - she always hits. I use her in the Tower of Moo I suggest that you use Greater Juju and Carcarius' will boost.
My beast companions OTH, stink, ( even with the recent upgrade, even with a beast banner on them. )
You are missing the point. We are talking PVP not PVE. Yes with all the buffs and doubloons being thrown around in Moo they are decent but trying to get off at least one offensive spell before being destroyed in PVP is another story. As far as Greater Juju yes its awesome but its big downside is it must be used in round 1 while your companions are standing next to you and lasts 3 rounds (for the good one) where carcarius buff can be cast anywhere on the board at any time. Will boost may be great at that point but accuracy what little they have is debuffed away before round 2 even gets started and therefore very slim chance of criticals. Where most other companions have at least one guaranteed critical strike . Case in point. Put Mormo or Grim up against Peter Quint, Fan, or even Nausica and see how well you do. It's not that we have first strike, vengeance, riposte, follow through, blade storm, etc we have one spell that we have to get off and it is not even happening.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mike888b on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
You are missing the point. We are talking PVP not PVE. Yes with all the buffs and doubloons being thrown around in Moo they are decent but trying to get off at least one offensive spell before being destroyed in PVP is another story. As far as Greater Juju yes its awesome but its big downside is it must be used in round 1 while your companions are standing next to you and lasts 3 rounds (for the good one) where carcarius buff can be cast anywhere on the board at any time. Will boost may be great at that point but accuracy what little they have is debuffed away before round 2 even gets started and therefore very slim chance of criticals. Where most other companions have at least one guaranteed critical strike . Case in point. Put Mormo or Grim up against Peter Quint, Fan, or even Nausica and see how well you do. It's not that we have first strike, vengeance, riposte, follow through, blade storm, etc we have one spell that we have to get off and it is not even happening.
Hehehe, I see your point, Mormo would be watermole sushi at the end of that, even Lucy Sterling would slice him to ribbons.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
anecorbie on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
I use the beast companions for shock factor . When they come up people are like, seriously? Amazing how one hasn't died on me yet....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Sep 2, 2015 wrote:
I use the beast companions for shock factor . When they come up people are like, seriously? Amazing how one hasn't died on me yet....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Duh, Privateer, need I say more? You could send Nurse Quinn into battle and she would be amazing.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
I have to agree with this, If a companion is to be a ranged companion, they should have some range!

3 spaces is not much range for PVP or even PVE... Even Musketeer companions get more range than witchdoctor companions. Granted, witchdoctor companions can get advance mojo strikes to effect 9 squares, if they can reach 1 specific target, but that is only if.

Most Witchdoctor companions don't get Mojo Rising, since they get multi attacks spells and attacks, but they should have the range to use these attacks, since they cant move and attack in the same turn. Even if they can move and have the witchdoctor version of cross fire / flanking, they don't get much movement at all for this to be of any use.

Also, since accuracy is so bad even with training accuracy, jobo ruse should be able to be trained for most companions. I don't think Witchdoctor companions are as bad as some people make them out to be, but they would be a lot more equalized if they had more range the higher level they got. All musketeer companions gain range as they level up and even our Character gets more range as they level up.

I think this is just a boost that is long overdue to witchdoctor companions.

Ensign
Dec 14, 2013
I have been wondering a long time why witch companions are not improved. They are somewhere between ok and poor in PvE, but in PvP? They maybe would be ok honestly other than one major thing, they have such poor aim that even with mojo strike they cannot hit much. You combine that fact with the fact they have the second lowest weapon power, low health, and very low dodge, well it does not end well for witch companions.
I don't think I have seen any witch companions used effectively in ranked PvP in hero rank for higher and I know I haven't seen any in paragon rank (unless it is in royal or something where all you have to have is two accounts to be max rank) I think if they could be balanced out, it would add something fun to the game to have to deal with another class companion in pvp.

Ensign
Oct 21, 2013

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
I completely agree with you, their range is horrible and I hope they do something about it, and also accuracy and all you have stated, I look forward to using witch companions as well. Carcarius Grimtooth can't even compare to the other class companions, example musketeer are happy to get chantal, they are all happy gun owners. I wish we could say the same to our witch companions