Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Promoting Positive Ranked PvP

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Nightblood1995 on Jun 5, 2015 wrote:
I thought I clarified this in my previous replies to this thread, I apologize if you weren't able to see it. I never intended to state the Ranking system should be removed, I meant to state that the scoring system should be revamped. From my experiences in Wizard101's PvP, losing seemed to cause you to lose a lot more points than winning. I could be totally wrong and if I am I apologize, it's just how it seemed to me.

Something I would suggest: if you win you get (for example) 100 points whereas if you lose you only lose like half that. Kind of gives players a chance to 'rebound' in their next match, if you get what I mean?

Again, sorry about that. I'd edit my original post if I could but, alas, it won't allow me to. If you were talking about me referring to switching the Ranking system out with the Badges system, there's little difference technically except one has scores while the other has 'kill count'. If you're opposed to that idea, I understand and respect your feedback X)
Nah if you're gonna make it +100 for win then -50 for lose then you're only gaining which isn't really nice. If it was for example w/+18 L/-16 then it could work cause you could technically get to the max rank by going 1 win 1 loss at a time, but I like the new ranking system wizard has which is +16/-16 because we again can't handicap it for the players who can't adapt. I understand you want a positive community but honestly that is up to the players more then the developers, the current system on wiz for ranking is totally fine how it is if moved over here but with different names for each rank because you should be able to win more matches then you lose to get to whatever warlord will be called, you shouldn't be able to go 100-100 to finally grind your way up to it that isn't what pvp is about....

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 5, 2015 wrote:
What does the PVP community feel about spectators? I've witnessed some fascinating duels in W101, should P101 have grand stands from which to watch the participants? Should there be an option to 'mute' spectator chatter?
majority of us dont mind spectators but for some matches like central tournaments privacy would be preferable, there should definitely be an option to mute spectators and the option to see the battle like the pvpers

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
TechnomagePvP on Jun 6, 2015 wrote:
Nah if you're gonna make it +100 for win then -50 for lose then you're only gaining which isn't really nice. If it was for example w/+18 L/-16 then it could work cause you could technically get to the max rank by going 1 win 1 loss at a time, but I like the new ranking system wizard has which is +16/-16 because we again can't handicap it for the players who can't adapt. I understand you want a positive community but honestly that is up to the players more then the developers, the current system on wiz for ranking is totally fine how it is if moved over here but with different names for each rank because you should be able to win more matches then you lose to get to whatever warlord will be called, you shouldn't be able to go 100-100 to finally grind your way up to it that isn't what pvp is about....
I only meant that as an example, but I see you got what I meant. What would you suggest for newbies wanting to get into Ranked PvP then? I mean, Practice PvP isn't really a great route to go because most people who don't take PvP seriously go there and, mostly, don't compete when they play. I understand why and all that, just saying it's not really a good 'training ground' for those wanting to get into Ranked, as most of the 'pros' are going to already be in the Ranked side, which pretty much forces all the newbies to dive head first into shark-infested waters if you get what I mean.

Maybe Tournaments that cost gold instead of crowns? Keep the Wiz101 rewards system in place (no tickets, more like pet snacks or crafting reagents) while keeping any/all 'Ranks' out of it so players can practice in a competitive field with little 'backlash' (if you win you get rewards, lose and you get nothing)? If someone jumps into Ranked, then I'm all for the 'whatever happens is on them' approach, I'm trying to think of a way to better help people transition from one (PvE for example) to the other (PvP) since both fields have entirely different gameplay schematics.

Just another thought is all.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
What does the PVP community feel about spectators? I've witnessed some fascinating duels in W101, should P101 have grand stands from which to watch the participants? Should there be an option to 'mute' spectator chatter?
I also have to agree with you here, loving your ideas! I believe having spectators is perfectly fine, but they shouldn't be allowed to see the combatants' chats nor coerce with them openly (if they have a friend that they want to talk with in a group setting, go ahead, or pm is fine too just not out in the open). After all, you're in a match so there should be no need to hold a conversation with someone on the sidelines when you're supposed to be focusing on your opponent. Maybe after the match is over chat can be auto-enabled?

In short, I personally love watching PvP matches but some trolls ruin the spectacle with their banter/blabbering. Blocking every single person is just a waste of time and, quite frankly, proves to be pretty redundant in the end as you can't block every person (besides, who goes to PvP to block people, as I've already stated numerous times already). I'd say, from the start all open chat is auto-muted between the combatants and the crowd until the match is over. How does that sound?

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
That would be great I can't tell you how annoying it is to see people running around the battle board when you are in a Match and I have chat bubbles on do not show so if to many people talk all I do is close chat

Quick Harry Abbott

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Nightblood1995 on Jun 7, 2015 wrote:
I only meant that as an example, but I see you got what I meant. What would you suggest for newbies wanting to get into Ranked PvP then? I mean, Practice PvP isn't really a great route to go because most people who don't take PvP seriously go there and, mostly, don't compete when they play. I understand why and all that, just saying it's not really a good 'training ground' for those wanting to get into Ranked, as most of the 'pros' are going to already be in the Ranked side, which pretty much forces all the newbies to dive head first into shark-infested waters if you get what I mean.

Maybe Tournaments that cost gold instead of crowns? Keep the Wiz101 rewards system in place (no tickets, more like pet snacks or crafting reagents) while keeping any/all 'Ranks' out of it so players can practice in a competitive field with little 'backlash' (if you win you get rewards, lose and you get nothing)? If someone jumps into Ranked, then I'm all for the 'whatever happens is on them' approach, I'm trying to think of a way to better help people transition from one (PvE for example) to the other (PvP) since both fields have entirely different gameplay schematics.

Just another thought is all.
the pros will be ranking up almost instantly losing only to the rare encounter of each other, the newbies will be fighting each other after a week, although the first week i would completely avoid ranked pvp if i wasnt a pro pvper although there always is smurfing but smurfing in this game requires making another char

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
Welcome to the game of trying to complete this and prove your better than those other pirates. Also watch out for the people with gear (Also known as Pay To Spin The Wheel People).

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
zuto4011a on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:
the pros will be ranking up almost instantly losing only to the rare encounter of each other, the newbies will be fighting each other after a week, although the first week i would completely avoid ranked pvp if i wasnt a pro pvper although there always is smurfing but smurfing in this game requires making another char
Smurfing? I've never heard of that term before.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
WyvernBlaze on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:
Welcome to the game of trying to complete this and prove your better than those other pirates. Also watch out for the people with gear (Also known as Pay To Spin The Wheel People).
Or the Farm 'til You Drop People.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
WyvernBlaze on Jun 9, 2015 wrote:
i got my nefarious staff after spending 30k crowns on the chest, the next 2 times i ran tower i got the staff both times, spending money and getting what you want isnt always a blessing

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Nightblood1995 on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
Smurfing? I've never heard of that term before.
its a term used for when someone top tier makes a new account or character and fights noobs that have 0 chance of winning

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
zuto4011a on Jun 10, 2015 wrote:
its a term used for when someone top tier makes a new account or character and fights noobs that have 0 chance of winning
Ah I gotcha, that explains a lot of the Zero-Level Warlords over on Wizard101

Ensign
Jan 19, 2014
Ratbeard on Jun 4, 2015 wrote:
Ranked PvP will have (wait for it...) a ranking system.
Well why wouldn't it? Otherwise there is no point in calling it Ranked PvP.