Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions should have dialogs during battles

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
To make the battle more lively, companions should make comments during battles. Not like a fool conversation but something like this:

Bonnie Anne: *Criticals Against an enemy* "Haha! How do ye like that?!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Kieran the Great J... on Jan 10, 2015 wrote:
To make the battle more lively, companions should make comments during battles. Not like a fool conversation but something like this:

Bonnie Anne: *Criticals Against an enemy* "Haha! How do ye like that?!
No, sorry to disagree, but that would just slow battle down.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
You must have misunderstood me.

I'm not talking about how you go to a NPC and you have to click space to get through it. This will slow it down in no way.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
Just how when our characters get hurt. You can hear a little grunt. That doesnt slow the battle down.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
It would be extremely annoying to hear a certain phrase over and over each and every time a companion gets a critical. And then quadruple this for main line companions, ugh, no thank you!

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 12, 2015 wrote:
It would be extremely annoying to hear a certain phrase over and over each and every time a companion gets a critical. And then quadruple this for main line companions, ugh, no thank you!
It doesnt have to be the same phrase ma'am. :) They call always make multiple.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
It would still slow the game play down; nothing seems to be able to happen when our crew is feeling chatty. You can't even run to a safe spot if the crew decides to start nattering on after a battle, almost guaranteeing your weak and very low level pirate gets nailed for an unnecessary fight in the traitor's cave quests. It's not such a big deal (those oh, so unnecessary battles) at higher levels because you've got a fighting chance, but being thumped by the dinolizards after you've just been thoroughly thrashed by the dinolizards is Not Fun At All.

Having to listen to my crew yapping on when they're supposed to be fighting would annoy me in very short order.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Kieran the Great J... on Jan 13, 2015 wrote:
It doesnt have to be the same phrase ma'am. :) They call always make multiple.
Do you realize the LOAD of work you just so gleefully expressed? The writing, recording, then the coding to place random phases into a battle scenario?
And this would slow the battle down. Say Bonnie Anne's "Ha ha, how d'ye like that?" may take 5 - 7 seconds to say, but when you add in other crew spouting off at 5 - 7 seconds per round, and if you're in a team situation with their crew jabbering away ( shudder ) it would be tiring and I guarantee I would be muting this game forever if this were implemented.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 13, 2015 wrote:
Do you realize the LOAD of work you just so gleefully expressed? The writing, recording, then the coding to place random phases into a battle scenario?
And this would slow the battle down. Say Bonnie Anne's "Ha ha, how d'ye like that?" may take 5 - 7 seconds to say, but when you add in other crew spouting off at 5 - 7 seconds per round, and if you're in a team situation with their crew jabbering away ( shudder ) it would be tiring and I guarantee I would be muting this game forever if this were implemented.
You guys seem to be stating things that I already thought over before posting this. I didnt think I had to include them because it's common sense but oh well:

Well anecorbie they possess the skills to be able to pick the appropriate times these little sayings with be enabled in battle. It won't slow the battle down at all actually with their ability to set when companions would make this happen. You're for some reason thinking that these events will pause the battle, put the camera on the companion as the recording plays, and then continues the match. Idk why you're thinking about that but they obviously wont do that. They obviously wont do it every time they critical

Oh come on anecorbie..

It's not that hard to grasp as you're making it. :)

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jan 13, 2015 wrote:
It would still slow the game play down; nothing seems to be able to happen when our crew is feeling chatty. You can't even run to a safe spot if the crew decides to start nattering on after a battle, almost guaranteeing your weak and very low level pirate gets nailed for an unnecessary fight in the traitor's cave quests. It's not such a big deal (those oh, so unnecessary battles) at higher levels because you've got a fighting chance, but being thumped by the dinolizards after you've just been thoroughly thrashed by the dinolizards is Not Fun At All.

Having to listen to my crew yapping on when they're supposed to be fighting would annoy me in very short order.
You're doing the same thing she is doing. Stop trying to think about (What if this happens.. what if that hapens..) I shouldnt have to tell you that that wont happen it obviously wont.

And I already said it's not the one where we do after quest so you can easily get to a safe place...
Besides you have to get the chest anyways.

Petty Officer
Apr 21, 2012
You guys seem to be stating things that I already thought over before posting this. I didnt think I had to include them because it's common sense but oh well:

Well anecorbie they possess the skills to be able to pick the appropriate times these little sayings with be enabled in battle. It won't slow the battle down at all actually with their ability to set when companions would make this happen. You're for some reason thinking that these events will pause the battle, put the camera on the companion as the recording plays, and then continues the match. Idk why you're thinking about that but they obviously wont do that. They obviously wont do it every time they critical

Oh come on anecorbie..

Ok, so if you just focus on the speaker battle slows down, so you say to continue going. BUT if the companions talk, you may go over to another companion who talks and battle will instead be very confusing as companions talk over each other and may be indistinguishable.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Oh come on anecorbie..

No, I think it's you who don't understand just what it takes to implement your plan, just because they can do it, doesn't mean they should. Would it make the game better? Not at all. What benefit to the players does this idea of yours ( which I understand perfectly ) give? Nothing at all.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
You're doing the same thing she is doing. Stop trying to think about (What if this happens.. what if that hapens..) I shouldnt have to tell you that that wont happen it obviously wont.

And I already said it's not the one where we do after quest so you can easily get to a safe place...
Besides you have to get the chest anyways.
I don't think you read what I wrote carefully enough. Yes, I gave the conversation after the dinolizards as an example (and you've already grabbed the chests if you're lucky, but the crew starts blethering before you can hit a safe spot), but the issue is the pause for conversation. Between the attack animations for every single warrior the fights are quite long enough. Add in Bonnie Anne spouting off and the battle got just that much longer. And holy cow, balancing whether to use the hard crit and having to listen to whatever sound byte over getting creamed in battle just became a major decision.

How do you know the convo won't interrupt or lengthen the battle? How can you be sure that the attacks won't cause a jumble of unnecessary noise rather than a distinct statement from each individual who crits? And shall we expect to hear the bad guys gloating over every crit they make?

As for stopping trying to think about potential issues, that's how we prevent them becoming REAL issues. You seem to think that we can just go "hey, let's do X" and X happens exactly the way we wanted and expected the first time. Were that the case, we'd be on chapter 50 by now. If the conversation doesn't stop the battle or doesn't spill over the gloating of some other character, that would be because someone had to consider the what-ifs and ensure that they didn't happen.

Ensign
May 23, 2014
I get what you're saying, but I find it largely unnecessary. The companions already talk when you first click on them to decide what they should do, then say some variant of "Yes, captain" when you've told them what to do, and then they make grunts and cries every time they attack.
From a story perspective, I think the companions grunt and such because they are doing hard work, which doesn't leave a lot of oxygen that they might talk with.