Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Killing the Hydra

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 19, 2012
This hydra must DIE! lol Any tips on how I can do that as a lvl 65 privateer? I keep losing my best companions and thanks to the most annoying way they have changed the game, I am really tired of waiting 5 hours to try it again. I need any advice (other than play with friends because I have none on here) for me to kick this beastly fish's bum?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FearlessRowan on Sep 3, 2014 wrote:
This hydra must DIE! lol Any tips on how I can do that as a lvl 65 privateer? I keep losing my best companions and thanks to the most annoying way they have changed the game, I am really tired of waiting 5 hours to try it again. I need any advice (other than play with friends because I have none on here) for me to kick this beastly fish's bum?
Get some friends together or try the Team-Up option!

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
As a level 65 privateer i wish i could relate but i cant, i finished aquila way before updated companions so i could immediately try again, and since zeal was also greatly nerfed it has gotten a lot harder, id suggest trying to get valors fortress gear as it greatly helps, using tanky companions doesnt hurt either

Ensign
Apr 06, 2014
will i am that lvl too here is how i did the hydra. first i get my best max friends like one or too then they help me. that is how i got the hydra.

Ensign
Nov 19, 2012
I don't have any friends on here. I usually play solo. It's very frustrating!!!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
FearlessRowan on Sep 27, 2014 wrote:
I don't have any friends on here. I usually play solo. It's very frustrating!!!!
Well then you are truly invited to our next party so you can meet up with and friend some awesome fellow Marauders

Ensign
May 19, 2014
yes you try to kill ebon first then he run away.after that kill only one of the other hydra head and he will so up again.dont kill the hydra head when it doesnt say so beacuse it will make it worse than you have to.if you kill the hydra head 2 more will spawn in but the main head which is ebon
Golden Brian Silver

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
I am having a big issue with the ebon head. I injuur it, it disappears, I kill the other three heads and the ebon head reappears. So far so good. But then when it goes to grid view, the ebon head becomes see-through and it won't let me attack it. Meanwhile, during the attack phase, it can hit me. Is this a bug or is there something I must do to make it where I can hit it. I and a person I met through team up lost several companions as well as crowns spent on temporary companions to save us. I posted a bug complaint to Kings Isle but so far all I have gotten back is a recommendation to read a page which I actually already had which describes the rules about hurting the ebon, killing the three other kinds of heads, and then hurting the ebon more. In otherwords, nothing about this issue.

Ensign
Feb 14, 2013
I'm in agreement on this. Now there are two annoying quests that I want no part of, but waste my time in my quest log. The moo manchu one, and the hydra one. We shouldn't be forced to team up to solve the quest. I don't like teaming up, I would prefer to play solo.

I guess I cancel my membership at this point. I'm level 65, but until about 60, I could play how I enjoyed playing. Now I'm forced to find others to play with.

Incidentally, I tried teaming up with folks on the Moo Manchu one, but they all backed out at the glowing eyes thing, and I wasted 1.5 hours on it.

What a disappointment.

Ensign
Nov 19, 2009
I totally agree. I'm a level 65 witchdoctor and I always play alone. I fled the hydra battle rather than waste crowns hiring companions--and right now, I'm ready to quit playing Pirate 101 and go back to Wizard 101, which is a far better game imho.

Good luck to all who decide to try that unfair hydra quest; the people at KingsIsle have designed some great experiences in both games, but when the level of frustration gets this high, they need to listen to players.

Ensign
Sep 06, 2014
feel your pain. I tried ten times and failed all of them leading to a major loss of companions. I think the only way to defeat him is team up. if your a though, you might want too try reckless frenzy. I heard that the ebon head dosnt sink its head down until you missed or ran out of health. This is technically a theory of mine, but it could cause some serious damage

clever wolf freeman
level 65

Ensign
Sep 06, 2014
FearlessRowan on Sep 27, 2014 wrote:
I think the whole point of this quest is to level up your weakest companions. Now, that might sound strange but suppose your a . you should have got the crazy monquistador. he would definitely help since the only epic he has is return fire which is not helpful in a melee battle. he wouldn't kill any other heads. for a really awesome companion like el toro or fan flanders it would just use first strike, riposite, or relentless and kill the other heads when its there turn. that just make your battle even worse. im pretty sure you can solo the hydra if you do this.

clever wolf freeman
level 65

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
It seems that the biggest issue with the Hydra quest isn't the difficulty, although it is a fantastic challenge, but it is actually getting lucky enough to get a Hydra battle that isn't full of bugs. There's been a great many complaints and frustrations about the glitchy Hydra and they have been out there for a quite long time. I can't even imagine the frustrations of those that may not be able to read the boards or other P101 Sites, and possibly don't even know about all of the bugs. For them, they must be really pulling their hair out.

I have not seen any status update about the Hydra in quite a long time and the last that I saw was merely to state that KI and the developers are aware of it, and the bugs experienced there are very complicated, and they are working on it. I wonder however, if, just for those that do read the forums and boards, could a developer and/or a KI team member at least give us an update on the Hydra battle and bug situation. Like has any progress been made? Have they found the problems, but are just waiting for the next major update? They are closing in on a solution? Or even, this one has us completely stumped, so please send all concerns to support so that we can possibly progress you through this trouble spot. Or, we may not be able to solve this for some time, so just keep trying pirates. It would be one thing if it was as side quest that didn't stop you from progressing through the story. But seeing that Hydra Phobia is a storyline quest, the bugs may be keeping many players from moving on and some may not even know it's because of the bugs.

I just feel bad for those players that are stuck there due to the bugs and are kind of in limbo over whether any progress has been made in regards to the bugs. So, Bonnie, One-Eyed Jack, Ratbeard or any other KI developer, would you be so kind as to just give the players a status update on the Hydra and it's buggy ways? I think it would really help out.

Thanks a bunch.

Administrator
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
It seems that the biggest issue with the Hydra quest isn't the difficulty, although it is a fantastic challenge, but it is actually getting lucky enough to get a Hydra battle that isn't full of bugs. There's been a great many complaints and frustrations about the glitchy Hydra and they have been out there for a quite long time. I can't even imagine the frustrations of those that may not be able to read the boards or other P101 Sites, and possibly don't even know about all of the bugs. For them, they must be really pulling their hair out.

I have not seen any status update about the Hydra in quite a long time and the last that I saw was merely to state that KI and the developers are aware of it, and the bugs experienced there are very complicated, and they are working on it. I wonder however, if, just for those that do read the forums and boards, could a developer and/or a KI team member at least give us an update on the Hydra battle and bug situation. Like has any progress been made? Have they found the problems, but are just waiting for the next major update? They are closing in on a solution? Or even, this one has us completely stumped, so please send all concerns to support so that we can possibly progress you through this trouble spot. Or, we may not be able to solve this for some time, so just keep trying pirates. It would be one thing if it was as side quest that didn't stop you from progressing through the story. But seeing that Hydra Phobia is a storyline quest, the bugs may be keeping many players from moving on and some may not even know it's because of the bugs.

I just feel bad for those players that are stuck there due to the bugs and are kind of in limbo over whether any progress has been made in regards to the bugs. So, Bonnie, One-Eyed Jack, Ratbeard or any other KI developer, would you be so kind as to just give the players a status update on the Hydra and it's buggy ways? I think it would really help out.

Thanks a bunch.
Hi Valkoor!

As an update, we've put behind-the-scenes special coding into the game the past couple of updates specifically to track down this bug. It's not forgotten, and we too feel bad any time we hear of someone not being able to complete the quest due to the Ebon Hydra head becoming un-targetable.

I strongly urge those who time and again encounter this bug and cannot proceed with the story to contact Customer Support at support@pirate101.com for assistance. From my informal discussions with Customer Support, the amount of players contacting them about this particular quest is very small. Also, statistically looking at the number of players who are unable to (eventually) complete this quest and move on to more adventures is also very low. In fact, more players never finish the Minotaur Maze than finish the Hydra cave! This definitely doesn't minimize how much we'd love to see this bug fixed.

Cross your fingers, and hopefully in an upcoming update, we'll have a final solution to that pesky Ebon head problem. Sorry again for the inconvenience.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One-Eyed Jack on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
Hi Valkoor!

As an update, we've put behind-the-scenes special coding into the game the past couple of updates specifically to track down this bug. It's not forgotten, and we too feel bad any time we hear of someone not being able to complete the quest due to the Ebon Hydra head becoming un-targetable.

I strongly urge those who time and again encounter this bug and cannot proceed with the story to contact Customer Support at support@pirate101.com for assistance. From my informal discussions with Customer Support, the amount of players contacting them about this particular quest is very small. Also, statistically looking at the number of players who are unable to (eventually) complete this quest and move on to more adventures is also very low. In fact, more players never finish the Minotaur Maze than finish the Hydra cave! This definitely doesn't minimize how much we'd love to see this bug fixed.

Cross your fingers, and hopefully in an upcoming update, we'll have a final solution to that pesky Ebon head problem. Sorry again for the inconvenience.
Thank you so much Jack, I just knew that you'd come through for us-- it's great to see a post from you on the boards again as well. I'm sure with the working like a rabbit that comes from the new content, all of the Holiday madness (wonderful madness, mind you) and just good ol' family and life, that you and the other KI folks are being pulled in every direction and a great many of us understand the demands you all are surely under.

So, thank you for taking the time to fill us in a bit and I sure appreciate the update on the Hydra, as I am positive some others do as well. And yes, I have also heard, from players, a lot of buggy talk surrounding those Mighty Minotaurs as well. I'm sure you all will soon have those bugs grabbed by the horns as well. From what's posted on the boards, you are right! I surely never would have guessed that the Half-bulls would have been even more of a problem then the Evil Ebon-- that's pretty amazing. Good luck to you all on squashing the bugs for good.

So, fingers are definitely crossed and thanks again for the update and for hoppin' in!

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
g'day mate! personally the hyrda is one of my fave boss battles i understand if your having trouble those ice hyrda heads kept me trapped from all corners! anyway i would be happy to try and help just give me a day time time zone and place and ill do my best to help also if i remember correctly correct me if i'm wrong but i think the ebon head will show up after you kill one of each head type when the ebon head comes back up you should drop everything and kill it as fast as you can i hope that helps!

Fearless talon lewis level 65

i am a warrior mess with me you will get my blade

Ensign
Jan 21, 2014
I'm having a hard time killing the hydra because every time Ebon's head resurfaces, he becomes untargetable and the only things I can attack are the other heads

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Eragrir on Feb 11, 2015 wrote:
I'm having a hard time killing the hydra because every time Ebon's head resurfaces, he becomes untargetable and the only things I can attack are the other heads
Hi Eragrir, welcome to the message boards.

Yea that ole hydra is infested with known bugs and the programers are hard at work trying to pin it down long enough to give him a flea bath but he isn't cooperating.

Seriously though, yea it's not working right but they really are working on figuring out what is wrong. If you need to get past the quest, just write support@pirate101.com and they can help you out.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
When I faced the hydra with my buck I couldn't beat it. Way to many heads, but when I brought my friends (even if there still in marleybone or mooshu) I could beat the battle it wasn't as hard.

Ensign
Jun 03, 2012
The hydra can be hard but can be easy with this simple tactic.

Bring atleast one friend. They can help you tremendously, I won hydra first try with just one friend.
(I'm a witchdoctor) And I was suprised how well this worked. I brought in my friend who is a Musketeer to help me, though we did lose all companions. None of our characters died. We almost had full health when we beat the hydra.

Friends can help you so much in this game, and even though some people want to solo the game.
You'll need friends to really beat it.

-Olivia Freeman lvl65

Ensign
Jan 11, 2011
The hydra battle is so unfair kingsile i been working my best but.with all these flame repelent heart of ice its not fair

Ensign
Oct 25, 2012
I have also run into a similar problem but instead of it disappearing i can't attack it to begin with.
what do i do