Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nautical level question

AuthorMessage
Commodore
May 31, 2009
So, I am a level 57, about to enter Marleybone, and I am at Nautical Level 43. That seems to be very low, and I was wondering: Should your Nautical Level should be the same as your level or a little below your level?

I have been trying to raise it by doing all of the Nautical XP-giving sidequests that I can find, and I have 8 companions on the Sailing job. Any other suggestions on how to get it higher?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
So, I am a level 57, about to enter Marleybone, and I am at Nautical Level 43. That seems to be very low, and I was wondering: Should your Nautical Level should be the same as your level or a little below your level?

I have been trying to raise it by doing all of the Nautical XP-giving sidequests that I can find, and I have 8 companions on the Sailing job. Any other suggestions on how to get it higher?
You're doing everything you can. As I remember nautical level 47 was right for Marleybone, remember to save some gold for a shiny new galleon from the Isle of Dogs docks!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:

Nautical level limits the type of equipment you can put on your ship. You will find it more and more difficult to win ship-to-ship and some ships may eventually decline to board you, opting to blow you out of the water instead.

If I were you, I'd get your companions busy gathering sailin' experience, and spend some time in Mooshu taking out ships.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
All right, thanks you guys! I think I'm going to stick around in MooShu for a little longer and start blasting some Amber Horde ships out of Subata Skyway. I still haven't finished the sidequests in MooShu, so I'll wrap those up, gain a few Nautical Levels, and then go to Marleybone.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Max DeGroot on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
Nautical level limits the type of equipment you can put on your ship. You will find it more and more difficult to win ship-to-ship and some ships may eventually decline to board you, opting to blow you out of the water instead.

If I were you, I'd get your companions busy gathering sailin' experience, and spend some time in Mooshu taking out ships.
"Decline to board you" Does that really happen? Whenever I have gotten into the yellow I have always seen those ships aggressively chasing me to board. At what level separation does this decline happen?

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
Max mentioned the obvious fact that you get nautical experience (NXP) from sinking ships. When you don't have ship quest ships to sink, it is best to sink Boss Ships. They drop the rarest ship parts and even no auction gear (if you board). The Horse, Timur Khan, and Ninja pig ship bosses even drop Marleybone ship parts. You should always farm the toughest ship boss you can get to and defeat, so you get the most useful drops for you and maximize the NXP gained. Just don't bother trying to exceed your pirate level, there's a soft cap on NXP when your nautical level is = or > pirate level (you get half NXP after that).

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One other option is to organize a good old fashioned Nautical Farming Party with fellow Message Board Marauders that may or may not need to work on their own Naut. XP. Gathering a group of even just a handful of pirates to engage in some nautical warfare against the enemies in the Skyways, can skyrocket your Nautical Level up in a hurry.

Just make sure to do it against enemy fleets in your pirate's current world or the next one, that is if you farm with someone who has access to it, to maximize your gained XP. Take turns leading the charge and after a short while your Nautical level will have increased dramatically and you will have had a bit of fun to boot!

And like others have suggested, assigning some crew to the Sailin' Task will help steadily bring your Naut. level up. I assigned 4 or 5 companions to Sailin' on my son's pirate because he was also max level but only had a Nautical level of 43. In about a week or so of just logging in twice a day, his Nautical level has raised to a few points shy of 52, without doing any ship battles, quests or anything else....just logging in and collecting.

If you have any "spare" max level Musketeers, they are the best or most efficient for performing the Sailin' task as they can train the Cannoneer talent to Rank x 3, which will provide a 25% increase to the amount of Nautical XP they bring back. Assigning just 3 or 4 maxed Musketeers trained in Cannoneer x 3 to the Sailin' task, should raise your Nautical Level by one just about every day (logging in 2x per day), without doing anything except collecting. They each will bring in around 1000+/- XP every 10 or so hours.

* EDIT * I just checked and a level 65 Musketeer trained in Cannoneer- Rank x 3 will bring in 1,246 Nautical XP every 9+ hours (each additional companion put on the Sailin' Task will add a little time to the new companions gathering)

*** Here's a link to a thread on Central that shows what each class can specialize in within the given Companion Tasks, in order to gain Rank x 3 through training points. You may (or probably will) have to reset companions to be able to redistribute training points to see these benefits.

Good luck raising your Nautical Level!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
One other option is to organize a good old fashioned Nautical Farming Party with fellow Message Board Marauders that may or may not need to work on their own Naut. XP. Gathering a group of even just a handful of pirates to engage in some nautical warfare against the enemies in the Skyways, can skyrocket your Nautical Level up in a hurry.

Just make sure to do it against enemy fleets in your pirate's current world or the next one, that is if you farm with someone who has access to it, to maximize your gained XP. Take turns leading the charge and after a short while your Nautical level will have increased dramatically and you will have had a bit of fun to boot!

And like others have suggested, assigning some crew to the Sailin' Task will help steadily bring your Naut. level up. I assigned 4 or 5 companions to Sailin' on my son's pirate because he was also max level but only had a Nautical level of 43. In about a week or so of just logging in twice a day, his Nautical level has raised to a few points shy of 52, without doing any ship battles, quests or anything else....just logging in and collecting.

If you have any "spare" max level Musketeers, they are the best or most efficient for performing the Sailin' task as they can train the Cannoneer talent to Rank x 3, which will provide a 25% increase to the amount of Nautical XP they bring back. Assigning just 3 or 4 maxed Musketeers trained in Cannoneer x 3 to the Sailin' task, should raise your Nautical Level by one just about every day (logging in 2x per day), without doing anything except collecting. They each will bring in around 1000+/- XP every 10 or so hours.

* EDIT * I just checked and a level 65 Musketeer trained in Cannoneer- Rank x 3 will bring in 1,246 Nautical XP every 9+ hours (each additional companion put on the Sailin' Task will add a little time to the new companions gathering)

*** Here's a link to a thread on Central that shows what each class can specialize in within the given Companion Tasks, in order to gain Rank x 3 through training points. You may (or probably will) have to reset companions to be able to redistribute training points to see these benefits.

Good luck raising your Nautical Level!
Thanks Valkoor! I've set all of my companions that are under level 50 to Sailin' and I've gained about two levels that way. I need to buy some training tomes for the lower leveled ones so they fetch more experience. I'll start farming those Skyway Bosses and hopefully get something good!

Hey, speaking of Nautical Parties, how does Saturday, July 19 at 7:30 p.m. Central time sound to everyone? We'll meet in Vadima realm in Avery's Court like usual. Is Subata Skyway good for you guys? The Jade Fleet ships gave me quite a bit of experience when I started sinking them for Subodai's promotion, and I think there's a skyway boss in Subata.

I'll have a mark set in Subata Temple so we can do a sort of 'chain teleport'--I'll teleport there, someone teleports to me, another person teleports to them, another person teleports to either me or them, the next person teleports to any of the three, and so on until everyone is there. We'll save travel time that way.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
MistyDragon13 on Jul 16, 2014 wrote:
Thanks Valkoor! I've set all of my companions that are under level 50 to Sailin' and I've gained about two levels that way. I need to buy some training tomes for the lower leveled ones so they fetch more experience. I'll start farming those Skyway Bosses and hopefully get something good!

Hey, speaking of Nautical Parties, how does Saturday, July 19 at 7:30 p.m. Central time sound to everyone? We'll meet in Vadima realm in Avery's Court like usual. Is Subata Skyway good for you guys? The Jade Fleet ships gave me quite a bit of experience when I started sinking them for Subodai's promotion, and I think there's a skyway boss in Subata.

I'll have a mark set in Subata Temple so we can do a sort of 'chain teleport'--I'll teleport there, someone teleports to me, another person teleports to them, another person teleports to either me or them, the next person teleports to any of the three, and so on until everyone is there. We'll save travel time that way.
You're welcome Misty!

Having companions carrying their own weight can definitely help things out. What I did for my son's pirate was set the really low level ones to Pet Wranglin' since that task yields the quickest return. Then I set non 1st 2 rows, "spare" musketeer companions, reset with Cannoneer x 3, that were equal or closest to his level (in this case 65) to the Sailin' task since they could bring back the most Nautical XP. Sometimes it is more beneficial just to have a handful at the highest level possible assigned to one task, because the more you add the longer the new ones take to collect.

I then assigned the remaining "unnecessary companions" to Brawlin' so that they could gain their own XP and once they reach max, will reassign them to their respective "class-specialized tasks" to maximize their gains or assign them to Pet Wranglin' and transfer the lower level ones that were Wranglin' on to Brawlin'- to get to working on increasing their levels. Putting Buccs trained multiple ranks of Brawler will help them gain more XP while Brawlin'.

Once the other classes are up to your pirate's level you can assign them to their specialized task or to whichever task you desire the most, and since they will be a higher level they will be more efficient and bring back more of whatever they are collecting.

The Party sounds like a super great idea and I hope that I can make it. Saturdays are pretty full usually with family activities and such. I should be able to make it but I may be a little bit late to arrive- after getting the kids to bed. I am sure there will be a nice fleet of Marauders that would like to attend and work on their own Nautical levels and ship gear upgrading or just would like to help out. I myself wouldn't mind getting some additional MooShu ship gear for my other pirates that will be one day be sailing through 'The Land of Milk and Kooky'!

Hope to see you and many others there!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Thank you, thank you, thank you Chrissy for helping me! I certainly had a great time. I would have been boarded many times in Subata Skyway without your help. And, I got three shiny new ship parts to show for that Skyway Boss farming!

I'm so sorry I had to leave when we got to Aquila. Of course my unlucky charm decided to mess with the party--I didn't have to leave for longer than eight minutes, so I could have come back. Sorry Valkoor for having you come for nothing, but I am glad that I got to meet you in-game and chat for a little while.

Can you guys give me some good times for a retry of the party? This time I'll post a reminder so more people will show up! Thanks for reminding me to remind, Chrissy. I'll actually do that on my next party.

Thank you both again!

-Misty Jackson

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you Chrissy for helping me! I certainly had a great time. I would have been boarded many times in Subata Skyway without your help. And, I got three shiny new ship parts to show for that Skyway Boss farming!

I'm so sorry I had to leave when we got to Aquila. Of course my unlucky charm decided to mess with the party--I didn't have to leave for longer than eight minutes, so I could have come back. Sorry Valkoor for having you come for nothing, but I am glad that I got to meet you in-game and chat for a little while.

Can you guys give me some good times for a retry of the party? This time I'll post a reminder so more people will show up! Thanks for reminding me to remind, Chrissy. I'll actually do that on my next party.

Thank you both again!

-Misty Jackson
You are most welcome. It was quite fun kicking some Mooshu tushy again. Even if I DID get waylaid by an invisible goldfish.
I would love a chance to do it again. Sinking ships is my favorite thing to do plus I still need to show you the nod to the Lord of the Rings you were so eager to see (It is truly awesome to behold)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
MistyDragon13 on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:

Thank you both again!

-Misty Jackson
You are quite welcome Misty- sorry I was late for the festivities. So glad you had a fine friend like Chrissy to guide you through the perilous waters of the Skyway! I am sure you both gave the enemy fleets a proper Whoopin'.

Also, for the next party, you may want to start a new thread dedicated solely to the party, with a party going title. That way it will be easier for fellow Marauders to identify with and remember to check up on it.

As for good times for myself- usually evenings after 8:00 Central (9 Eastern) are the best for me. But I would ask those that respond to your future party thread and see what works for the majority of them. Or just pick a time that you think will work and see what everyone's feed back is in regards to time. I always try to make it and would hate for anyone to try to accommodate my hectic, unpredictable and often spur-of-the moment schedule. But any later evenings should work for me, even though I may be a 'tad' late.

It was very nice to have met you in game!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I am inconsistent on this issue. Some of my pirates were very conscientious about keeping their nautical level very close to their character level, even before the latest upgrade made that so much easier. Others don't worry about it much, but every 10 levels or so hook up with a friend for a binge of cooperative ship sinking. Sounds like to me you are already doing the right things to catch up. Good hunting!

-Indigo

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:
You are most welcome. It was quite fun kicking some Mooshu tushy again. Even if I DID get waylaid by an invisible goldfish.
I would love a chance to do it again. Sinking ships is my favorite thing to do plus I still need to show you the nod to the Lord of the Rings you were so eager to see (It is truly awesome to behold)
I think we both ran into an invisible 'ninja fish'! What's next, ninja chickens?

And I'm still excited for the Lord of the Rings thingamabob! I set a mark in the dock that we were at, but I haven't used it yet. I don't think it would be wise to travel in an unknown place without backup.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jul 20, 2014 wrote:
You are quite welcome Misty- sorry I was late for the festivities. So glad you had a fine friend like Chrissy to guide you through the perilous waters of the Skyway! I am sure you both gave the enemy fleets a proper Whoopin'.

Also, for the next party, you may want to start a new thread dedicated solely to the party, with a party going title. That way it will be easier for fellow Marauders to identify with and remember to check up on it.

As for good times for myself- usually evenings after 8:00 Central (9 Eastern) are the best for me. But I would ask those that respond to your future party thread and see what works for the majority of them. Or just pick a time that you think will work and see what everyone's feed back is in regards to time. I always try to make it and would hate for anyone to try to accommodate my hectic, unpredictable and often spur-of-the moment schedule. But any later evenings should work for me, even though I may be a 'tad' late.

It was very nice to have met you in game!
Thanks for the advice on parties! I'll start a 'Nautical Party!' thread and try to pick a later time. See you then!