Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New ways to make money

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
So we all know that KingsIsle's real goal is to make money. I mean, that's everybody's goal, right? So I thought of a way they could get more people buying more stuff besides membership and bundles: figures. They would be little plastic figures that would look like enemies and companions from the game. As a matter of fact, you could even get KI to create your character as one of the plastic figurines... but that would be expensive, seeing as it's unique. Now if they were somewhere between 4-6 inches tall, I would be willing to pay... about $20 for each one. For example, you could create an armada marine figurine which looks like... well, an armada marine figure. It'll look like he's slashing down with his halberd. Or one the looks like Bonnie Anne shooting into the distance. I honestly think this is a great idea, and I'd definitely put money into those, maybe as a gift to somebody or something. Good idea anyone?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
darkdoombro345 on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
So we all know that KingsIsle's real goal is to make money. I mean, that's everybody's goal, right? So I thought of a way they could get more people buying more stuff besides membership and bundles: figures. They would be little plastic figures that would look like enemies and companions from the game. As a matter of fact, you could even get KI to create your character as one of the plastic figurines... but that would be expensive, seeing as it's unique. Now if they were somewhere between 4-6 inches tall, I would be willing to pay... about $20 for each one. For example, you could create an armada marine figurine which looks like... well, an armada marine figure. It'll look like he's slashing down with his halberd. Or one the looks like Bonnie Anne shooting into the distance. I honestly think this is a great idea, and I'd definitely put money into those, maybe as a gift to somebody or something. Good idea anyone?
I am afraid the technology for this is still a bit new if you use 3D printing. There is a company now that is kickstarting that will make a figure of your game character. The problem is that a 4 inch, full color figure is running about 200 dollars. A bit steep even for me, a hard core fan. I am sure the price will go down in a few years but now it is just for the rich folk or the amazing contest winners like our own Kelsey Fireheart, a community leader. She won a contest and is getting her character made. I can't wait to see it.

Now if you are talking mass market toys that is a whole nother kind of contract negotiation and I have no clue if it is even in the game's works. I know they do it for films all the time but I am not sure about online games.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
darkdoombro345 on Jul 10, 2014 wrote:
An action figure would be great! Avery and the class trainers! Kane's Court, etc. Yeah, super idea!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I don't expect the cost of 3D printing to remain as high as it is how for very long. As with everything else in technology, costs drop dramatically as production goes up. I can easily see being able to print and paint an exact copy of your character to be below $100 in two years.

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
it seems possible. however, you can make your own with:
wax.
ball stylus tool
dental tools
big and small plyers
paint
super glue
and other very confusing stuff.
they can make companions and enemies and that sorta thing, its just that making the player, might be hard, since you get to customize it. i guess you can buy a boy or girl body, your choice of color, with clothes, (any) and customize the head on your own. of course, they need a company that widely produces toys and games of that sort. so it may seem unlikely. it would be cool though!

Ensign
Nov 10, 2012
I think the easiest way to do this is to team up with other companies that are already making/selling action figures. KI could team up with companies such as Matel or Bandai to create them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Dandy Lucille Barc... on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
I think the easiest way to do this is to team up with other companies that are already making/selling action figures. KI could team up with companies such as Matel or Bandai to create them.
How much would they have to pay them to do this and make it worth the time for both companies? It's a 'niche' market.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Er, actually, KI wouldn't just print them themselves- that would be a waste of time and money. For the main ones, like an armada marine, they would just get big China companies to mass produce them. It would be WAY cheaper than 3D printing- the problem is still the customizable characters.

Community Leader
I recently read about a "Kickstarter" campaign for a company called "Shapeit", that is working on a 3D printing API for game developers to use, that would allow them to interface with various 3D printing systems and "sell" 3D replicas/figurines of a players character(s).

Very cool idea, I was already considering "donating" towards their project (they offer various figurines of your characters even for your initial contribution).

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Jul 14, 2014 wrote:
I recently read about a "Kickstarter" campaign for a company called "Shapeit", that is working on a 3D printing API for game developers to use, that would allow them to interface with various 3D printing systems and "sell" 3D replicas/figurines of a players character(s).

Very cool idea, I was already considering "donating" towards their project (they offer various figurines of your characters even for your initial contribution).
Yea that is the company I was referring to. The cost has lowered a bit but it is still over 100 dollars (I believe) to get a 4 inch figurine of your pirate/wizard. That was the last time I checked though.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jul 15, 2014 wrote:
Yea that is the company I was referring to. The cost has lowered a bit but it is still over 100 dollars (I believe) to get a 4 inch figurine of your pirate/wizard. That was the last time I checked though.
Yeah, for a large (four inch) full-color 3D game character, it's over $100. Someday it'll be cheaper, but for now I'd say it's a bit of a waste. Maybe if they were a close friend or family member and it were a birthday present...