Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

He's angry, Ettin he?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Simply: Ettins are too strong. They know both relentless and vengeance strike, not to mention they deal rather high damage. Within the first two minutes of battle I lost Catbeard. I know this might sound like complaining, but given the high amount of quests involving the Ettins, we could at least be cut a bit of slack after the also strong Ophidians.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
darkdoombro345 on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
Simply: Ettins are too strong. They know both relentless and vengeance strike, not to mention they deal rather high damage. Within the first two minutes of battle I lost Catbeard. I know this might sound like complaining, but given the high amount of quests involving the Ettins, we could at least be cut a bit of slack after the also strong Ophidians.
Sounds like you need some shooters and hoodooists in there to fight for you that won't trigger that vengeance strike as they hit from further away. Try farming for gear that gives you Valor's Armor or Fortress to help keep the damage counts down.

P.S. I just love your Pun in the subject line.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Well, you're right about 2/3 things.

1. I do need more witchdoctor and musketeer companions.

2. Yes, that was a pretty fun pun.

3. Actually, I'm a Privateer.

Ensign
Oct 02, 2013
I dealt with these ettin fine.. You need some good dodging companions and a shooty and hoodoo guy in there too. I'm crowns+membership, so I used Iago (crowns shop for anyone but privateers), uga buga (crown shop reskin of mormo) and Bonnie. Depending on your class you'll need to either buff up with whatever you and your companions have, or manage your heals. Scurvy Andrew Capstan, lvl 62

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013

I never had any problems with ettins. To me, they were rather dumb creatures, falling into my traps set in the most obvious places. Hawkules was an easy match for them. Ettins are slow, so my companions dodge or block most of their attacks. But the ophidians are a different story. Like snakes themselves, there cunning, clever, and strong. But back to the subject about ettins, they have never been a problem for me.

Daring Destiny Dove- Level 65 Musketeer

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I have no problems ettin these dumb brutes for breakfast. As a swashy, I dodge and riposte their pitiful attempts at slaughter. As a Privateer, I don't need to tell you how to buff your companions, but I do suggest that you use your swash companions, Iago is great for this.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
anecorbie on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
I have no problems ettin these dumb brutes for breakfast. As a swashy, I dodge and riposte their pitiful attempts at slaughter. As a Privateer, I don't need to tell you how to buff your companions, but I do suggest that you use your swash companions, Iago is great for this.
I just got that... ettin the dumb brutes... eatin'... ettin... ha, ha, ha.

Petty Officer
Feb 05, 2013
Strategy's for defeating ettins:

Musketeers: Move around the board, but send your companions into the thick of the fight. The ettins are dumb and would follow you through a mine field. Wait, they actually did follow me through a mine field. So move around the board to get the ettins to fall into your traps, then pick em off with that spark-thrower

Buccaneers: Stay back from the fighting for a few turns and let your companions go into the thick of the fight. Use your strength boost and armor boost cards to give you and advantage, then get into the fight and finish them.

Witchdoctors: Stay back as much as possible. Try to surrond the ettins. They are not very intelligent and will attack the first thing that comes near them. Try to keep them in a group by summoning the undead and using your companions to surround them. Then use your multiple square attacks to take em out nice and easy.

Swashbucklers: Use the poison first and stay back from the ettins until they get close enough. Then get into the thick of the fighting. Ettins are slow, so most attacks will be dodged and returned with a first strike.

Privateers: This is the most practical class. Stay back for a few turns, buffing and healing your companions, then getting into the thick of the fight when there nice and weak.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
I found the skill that works best against ettins is flanking

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I didn't have too much of a problem with them, but I will say DO NOT use El Toro. Though he's a good companion, he'll be Ettin grub in seconds.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dead Eye Luke on Oct 12, 2014 wrote:
I found the skill that works best against ettins is flanking

How so? I seem to remember reading that Ettins can't be flanked.

Ensign
May 24, 2013
Use swashbuckler companions because the ettins have low accuracy and with riposte they can deal a lot more damage and when they vengeance strike they can riposte as well

-Blaze Level 61

Ensign
Aug 18, 2012
darkdoombro345 on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
if you need help with something i will help just tell me where to meet you and when let me know i got you a am a helper btw i am lvl 65 witchdoctor

Ensign
Jul 21, 2013
I find Ettin's hard too because of their health. They have as much health as a level 67 Hawkules, and they're only level 57!