Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What's your take on the Duck of Deaths origins?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 29, 2009
I only ask this because the origins of English Bill, or the Duck of Death, is never revealed. The only shred of his origins is from Thunderbird where she says that 'Revenge blackened his heart.' also she says that only Silver Bullets can harm him.

So what do you think his origins are? I personally think that he fell in love and someone cam behind him and stole her away, so to get his revenge he began practicing in black magic to get back at her. This would probably explain why he's immune from any attack. Also he's probably from Darkmoor because he commands a fleet of Darkmoor Ships.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
Line Mountain on Jun 15, 2014 wrote:
I only ask this because the origins of English Bill, or the Duck of Death, is never revealed. The only shred of his origins is from Thunderbird where she says that 'Revenge blackened his heart.' also she says that only Silver Bullets can harm him.

So what do you think his origins are? I personally think that he fell in love and someone cam behind him and stole her away, so to get his revenge he began practicing in black magic to get back at her. This would probably explain why he's immune from any attack. Also he's probably from Darkmoor because he commands a fleet of Darkmoor Ships.
hmm, thats a good theory and a agree about the darkmoor thing lol

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Yeah... the thing is... English Bill's origins of him becoming the Duck of Death is one of the plot points the developers had slipped through their hands before the game went to Live. The feud between the Big Sky Hunters & the Black Storm Raiders had much more depth than they envisioned in Live, but the Duck of Death's origins are quite lacking in lore and depth, so I'm certain they they'll fill that out... hopefully. I even had thoughts about his origins being made into a Puppet Show musical in Book 7 called "The Ballad of English Bill" a while ago, even mentioned it to Blind Mew not too long ago, too, even though he said the P101 team may place a Puppet Show into Book 7 sometime as part of them going back to previous Books & placing Puppet Shows they had to bypass before while the game was still in development. It would be neat for English Bill's origins to be made into a good musical someday, wouldn't it? We can all imagine, I suppose.

Developer
Trimond297 on Jun 17, 2014 wrote:
Yeah... the thing is... English Bill's origins of him becoming the Duck of Death is one of the plot points the developers had slipped through their hands before the game went to Live. The feud between the Big Sky Hunters & the Black Storm Raiders had much more depth than they envisioned in Live, but the Duck of Death's origins are quite lacking in lore and depth, so I'm certain they they'll fill that out... hopefully. I even had thoughts about his origins being made into a Puppet Show musical in Book 7 called "The Ballad of English Bill" a while ago, even mentioned it to Blind Mew not too long ago, too, even though he said the P101 team may place a Puppet Show into Book 7 sometime as part of them going back to previous Books & placing Puppet Shows they had to bypass before while the game was still in development. It would be neat for English Bill's origins to be made into a good musical someday, wouldn't it? We can all imagine, I suppose.
It didn't slip through our hands. We simply opted to not detail it, because it wasn't critical. I'm a big fan of ambiguity in stories, because ti spurs your imaginations (as it clearly has here). I felt no need to learn where Boba Fett came from, or who built C-3PO, or even why Anakin Skywalker turned to the dark side.None at all.

And when these events were finally revealed, I was left saddened and cynical, because what I'd had in my head was better. When the Alien finally reveals himself... he looks like a man in a suit.

That said, we can always go back and embellish, and we might do so here. Besides, who says you've seen the last of ol' English Bill?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
It didn't slip through our hands. We simply opted to not detail it, because it wasn't critical. I'm a big fan of ambiguity in stories, because ti spurs your imaginations (as it clearly has here). I felt no need to learn where Boba Fett came from, or who built C-3PO, or even why Anakin Skywalker turned to the dark side.None at all.

And when these events were finally revealed, I was left saddened and cynical, because what I'd had in my head was better. When the Alien finally reveals himself... he looks like a man in a suit.

That said, we can always go back and embellish, and we might do so here. Besides, who says you've seen the last of ol' English Bill?
Uh... thanks for clarifying. I thought the origins of English Bill would be in Book 7, but I guess not. I was really hoping to know how he became the Duck of Death, but maybe one day, we may know.

Then we'll see how that turns out. I thought I was the one who said it, but since you've hinted that his return may be inevitable... then we would need one certain Masked Chicken Hero to join the crew (That would be Free Ranger I'm hinting. I like him.).

Hope you can have a new story thread to open sometime soon, Blind Mew, for we've left many questions in Story Thread 5 you've yet to respond to. Other than that, keep up the good work, even if you are very busy to answer our questions.

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
im guessing he's an agent/follower of death,were probabbly not gonna see him again since we became "friends" with death or english bill decided to join the armada and stop following death.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Well, first of all, to all of you who believe that the Duck of Death may become a companion, he probably won't. Blind Mew has already stated that there are some enemies that once defeated, won't join you or be available in the Crowns Shop. I bet the ONLY enemy that will ever get the honor is Fin Dorsal, and he was in it from the start. However, Blind Mew hinted at a possible Crowns version of the Brass Monkey. Now, enough of my fantasizing about Crowns bosses, and onto the actual question.

I believe that the Duck of Death MIGHT have been normal, until he got to Darkmoor. He may have been cursed or transformed into a duck with a SAVAGE and vengeful heart, sort of like Mewtwo for all of you Pokémon fans out there, or like Savage Opress for all of you Star Wars Clone Wars fans. He was turned into a killing machine, like Mewtwo and Savage Opress. And like Mewtwo and Savage Opress, he'll just keep coming back like all good Bad Guys. I hope we encounter the Duck of Death again, because cooking his goose is something I enjoy WAY too much lol!