Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Are we the bad guys?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 02, 2013
I was recently playing a pirate game know as "assassins creed 4" and In that game you play as a pirate. People are always on the hunt for you to execute you for crimes. So it came to my mind are we the bad guys in this game? after all pirates were thieves and killers. Maybe the armada are good people just trying to stop us but we keep interfering? btw armada were spanish officers! It really brings curiosity to my mind

~Noble Taylor lvl 58
(new to this message board thing btw)

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2014
...Good question, yes.

My opinion would have to be no: We are the good guys and the Armada are the bad guys. But a plot twist may come, who knows?

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Honestly, the line between good guys and bad guys is a little bit blurry in this game. Our character does a lot of good around the spiral, like saving various people from tyrants. We try to save precious documents and resolve several conflicts. However, we are also thieves and plunderers. We start and fight in several wars, and that is more difficult to paint as "good." The Armada isn't really good either though. They are perfectly content to destroy the spiral and everyone in their way to achieve their goals. So I would say that, while we aren't perfect, we're not really the bad guys. Just a little shady in the good and evil spectrum.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
honesttaylor12 on May 7, 2014 wrote:
I was recently playing a pirate game know as "assassins creed 4" and In that game you play as a pirate. People are always on the hunt for you to execute you for crimes. So it came to my mind are we the bad guys in this game? after all pirates were thieves and killers. Maybe the armada are good people just trying to stop us but we keep interfering? btw armada were spanish officers! It really brings curiosity to my mind

~Noble Taylor lvl 58
Hello, Noble Taylor and welcome aboard! No we are definately NOT 'bad guys'. We are rebels against a soul crushing institution ( think Jedi ).

Administrator
honesttaylor12 on May 7, 2014 wrote:

~Noble Taylor lvl 58
Blind Mew wrote a wonderful series of posts on this very topic back in August 2012. It's spoiler rich, but definitely worth a read.

Here's a quote from his conclusion: "we carefully considered these themes before we put them in, and on the whole I think we struck a good balance. The pirates of our story aren't gangsters - they're imperfect heroes who make the occasional mistake, but work hard to make good after. Bad company may lead them astray from time to time, but ultimately, our pirates do far more good than evil."

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Mar 02, 2013
Oh thank you guys for answering my question I didn't expect replies that fast!

Petty Officer
Aug 27, 2010
I'd say that we are neither good or bad, and the same goes for the Armada. Both the Pirate and Kane are going for selfish goals. Even the war between Valencia and Marleybone doesn't make neither the Pirate nor the Armada 'bad': the Pirate is doing it for love, unaware of the consequences, while the Armada is performing the very function it was designed and created to do: fight and win wars. The way the Armada see's it, it was Marleybone who took out ten Armada ships and destroyed Dreadnought Regal, not some lowly pirate.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on May 7, 2014 wrote:
Blind Mew wrote a wonderful series of posts on this very topic back in August 2012. It's spoiler rich, but definitely worth a read.

Here's a quote from his conclusion: "we carefully considered these themes before we put them in, and on the whole I think we struck a good balance. The pirates of our story aren't gangsters - they're imperfect heroes who make the occasional mistake, but work hard to make good after. Bad company may lead them astray from time to time, but ultimately, our pirates do far more good than evil."
Thanks Jack. That is a fabulous read and a wonderful contribution from Blind Mew. I remember reading it a long time ago on Central and now I know where it is here. Really insightful and explains SO much. It is a great comfort to hear all the thought and caring that went into what we do in this great game. Color me beyond impressed..........Again.

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
One-Eyed Jack on May 7, 2014 wrote:

river song- spoilers
to my doc who fans