Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Message board ranking system: please explain

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
Many people have been on the forums for a long time, and accumulated more yars than ever imaginable on their comments. As of posting this one, I have 2 wimpy yars. This makes sense to me. Stay around and post for longer, and I'll get more. What I don't get is the ranking system. Apparently, you have a title on the forums-Gunner's Mate, Bosun, etc. How do you gain better titles? I suspect yars. How many yars does it take to move up a rank? Do you need anything else besides yars? Please help! I don't want to be Ensign forever!

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 28
Two-Faced Israel Jordan, Level 10

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Pokopolypse on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:
Many people have been on the forums for a long time, and accumulated more yars than ever imaginable on their comments. As of posting this one, I have 2 wimpy yars. This makes sense to me. Stay around and post for longer, and I'll get more. What I don't get is the ranking system. Apparently, you have a title on the forums-Gunner's Mate, Bosun, etc. How do you gain better titles? I suspect yars. How many yars does it take to move up a rank? Do you need anything else besides yars? Please help! I don't want to be Ensign forever!

Hello Nicholas/Israel and welcome to the message boards.

Your rank is determined by the number of posts that are actually posted here on the boards. Here is a thread that lists the ranks and what # of posts are needed to obtain the next rank. It is important to remember that, although it is nice to get that nice new rank, one should try to consider the importance or quality of their posts more so than the quantity.

Yars are just friendly ways of saying 'thank you' or that you like what someone had to 'say' and can often mean the following: acknowledging someone's input, encouraging others, finding humor in a post, letting others know that they have a voice in the community, agreeing with a post, appreciating someone's post helping you, thanking a KI staff member, being 'WOWED' by someone's creative writing or talents, being touched or impacted by what someone posts, appreciating other's opinions and viewpoints, just giving a friendly "hello" to your fellow posters and/or thanking someone for taking the time just to respond to your post. Yars should be given for various reasons and those are just some of them.

These are some of my tips on being yarred:

• Always be courteous and friendly
  • Try to provide input in a helpful and considerate way
  • Be creative
  • Acknowledge others' creativity
  • Don't put down or bash others' ideas or opinions
  • If you have a different opinion on something, try to express without being rude
  • Yar your fellow pirates and their great contributions
  • Let the funny flow
  • Offer up ways to help and improve others' gameplay
  • Try your best not to whine, complain or talk bad about something just because it doesn't appeal to you
  • Give criticism in a constructive way (I personally embrace criticism, if it is constructive in nature)
  • Giving credit when credit is due to a fellow board member or KI administrator/moderator/developer
  • Don't post something just hoping or wishing you will be yarred (post what possesses meaning to you)
  • Try not to be a know-it-all, just share any knowledge you have in a positive, helpful way
  • And always resort back to the 1st item in the list!

*** Just remember not to worry too much about your post or yar #s, just post when you have something to say that has meaning to you or to provide help, creativity, laughter, insight, your opinion and feedback to the KI staff- the ranks and yars will surely come.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pokopolypse on Apr 28, 2014 wrote:

There ya go, matey! I gave ye a yar! And yes I would love a further explanation on Message board ranking!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
Hello Nicholas/Israel and welcome to the message boards.

Your rank is determined by the number of posts that are actually posted here on the boards. Here is a thread that lists the ranks and what # of posts are needed to obtain the next rank. It is important to remember that, although it is nice to get that nice new rank, one should try to consider the importance or quality of their posts more so than the quantity.

Yars are just friendly ways of saying 'thank you' or that you like what someone had to 'say' and can often mean the following: acknowledging someone's input, encouraging others, finding humor in a post, letting others know that they have a voice in the community, agreeing with a post, appreciating someone's post helping you, thanking a KI staff member, being 'WOWED' by someone's creative writing or talents, being touched or impacted by what someone posts, appreciating other's opinions and viewpoints, just giving a friendly "hello" to your fellow posters and/or thanking someone for taking the time just to respond to your post. Yars should be given for various reasons and those are just some of them.

These are some of my tips on being yarred:

• Always be courteous and friendly
  • Try to provide input in a helpful and considerate way
  • Be creative
  • Acknowledge others' creativity
  • Don't put down or bash others' ideas or opinions
  • If you have a different opinion on something, try to express without being rude
  • Yar your fellow pirates and their great contributions
  • Let the funny flow
  • Offer up ways to help and improve others' gameplay
  • Try your best not to whine, complain or talk bad about something just because it doesn't appeal to you
  • Give criticism in a constructive way (I personally embrace criticism, if it is constructive in nature)
  • Giving credit when credit is due to a fellow board member or KI administrator/moderator/developer
  • Don't post something just hoping or wishing you will be yarred (post what possesses meaning to you)
  • Try not to be a know-it-all, just share any knowledge you have in a positive, helpful way
  • And always resort back to the 1st item in the list!

*** Just remember not to worry too much about your post or yar #s, just post when you have something to say that has meaning to you or to provide help, creativity, laughter, insight, your opinion and feedback to the KI staff- the ranks and yars will surely come.
Thank you, Valkoor. Very helpful, as always.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
The message board ranking system is a very simple one as some have obviously figured out.

It is not the quality of your posts, or even if your posts get a yar that gives you rank on the message boards..
It is also not how long you have been on the message boards.

Simply post as much as you can, the more you post, the more rank you get. Just keep posting on everything, just stay on topic and don't be rude, your post will be published and you will quickly gain rank.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
Thank you, Valkoor. Very helpful, as always.
You are very welcome, Esperanza- I enjoy helping whenever I can. I'll gladly share the thank you with Chrissy (for posting and researching the rankings) and One-Eyed Jack (and any other previous moderators) for coming up with the great rankings for us to enjoy.

Pleasant posting to ye.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
Thank you for the replies, (and for the yar tips, Valkoor, although I use most of them already.) I was simply trying to clarify what the various ranks meant, and your replies did much more than I ever could have asked for. I will continue to post over tim, and move up ranks. No, it's not important, I knew that, but it is good to clarify.

Thanks.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 29

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Pokopolypse on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
Thank you for the replies, (and for the yar tips, Valkoor, although I use most of them already.) I was simply trying to clarify what the various ranks meant, and your replies did much more than I ever could have asked for. I will continue to post over tim, and move up ranks. No, it's not important, I knew that, but it is good to clarify.

Thanks.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 29
You are very welcome. In my post I certainly wasn't intending to provide the tips or reminder about the ranks not being important solely for you alone to take heed. It just seemed a good place (thanks to your post) to remind anyone who may view the thread, to not lose sight of kindness and consideration for their fellow pirates here on the boards. Your intro to the boards and initial posts, surely have been friendly and positive in nature.

Often, as is the case with any form of social media, we forget that there are fellow human beings (and in this case, adults and children alike) on the opposite ends of our computers and on many forums it is easy to get caught up in speaking our minds rather rudely because we know that our audiences are far away and 'virtual'. Luckily, we have a great group of KI staff and moderators to help keep the Message Boards a super helpful, fun and friendly place for all of us to share our passion for all things Pirate101. Your question about the ranks just got my ol' head a spinning and I thought to include the yar tips to help anyone that may be more sensitive and curious as to why they are not receiving yars. As you and I both stated, the ranks and the yars aren't necessarily important at all, but to many posters- they make them feel good and appreciated when they receive a yar and/or rise in rank.

Again, a hearty welcome goes out to you and I hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay on the boards and it is a pleasure to be posting along side of you.