Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Too many dungeons!

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
I can't cope with this, honestly. As we speak (or as i type this) i am doing the Halls of minos on my witchdoctor and I checked how many battles there are: Seven. I knew the dungeon was coming up soon, and since the quest i was currently on only is giving 3,100xp i was thinking i'd get another quest then do it, but no. A 1.5 Hour dungeon and i'm only getting 3,100 xp? Is this real? After getting 9000xp in total for "The Guns of Marleybone", a 2 hour dungeon in total, why are we getting so little? There should either be less dungeons and more xp, or less battles with the same xp. And guess what the next quest is? A 30 minute dungeon, giving MORE xp then The halls of minos, a 1.5 hour dungeon which is overall much harder. Really KingsIsle? Why are we getting so many dungeon with so little xp rewards?
Maybe you could make the Halls of minos more than the chtonic temple, since it is much longer than the 3 battle instance.
Don't even tell me about Talos. 1.5 hours, four battles and what? 2,150 xp. That is a riddiculously small amount, it really shoud be fixed.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
I can't cope with this, honestly. As we speak (or as i type this) i am doing the Halls of minos on my witchdoctor and I checked how many battles there are: Seven. I knew the dungeon was coming up soon, and since the quest i was currently on only is giving 3,100xp i was thinking i'd get another quest then do it, but no. A 1.5 Hour dungeon and i'm only getting 3,100 xp? Is this real? After getting 9000xp in total for "The Guns of Marleybone", a 2 hour dungeon in total, why are we getting so little? There should either be less dungeons and more xp, or less battles with the same xp. And guess what the next quest is? A 30 minute dungeon, giving MORE xp then The halls of minos, a 1.5 hour dungeon which is overall much harder. Really KingsIsle? Why are we getting so many dungeon with so little xp rewards?
Maybe you could make the Halls of minos more than the chtonic temple, since it is much longer than the 3 battle instance.
Don't even tell me about Talos. 1.5 hours, four battles and what? 2,150 xp. That is a riddiculously small amount, it really shoud be fixed.
There is always plenty of xp to get you to the end of the quest. Actually there is too much as I have learned to stop questing when I reach top level so I don't wast my xp. The xp adds up and will always get you to the level you need to. I don't pay much attention to it unless I am close to leveling then I pace it out so I can make sure I get my 10 training tomes bought before the price goes up again when I level. Other than that, I don't pay it much mind and I always get to the level I need to.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
There is always plenty of xp to get you to the end of the quest. Actually there is too much as I have learned to stop questing when I reach top level so I don't wast my xp. The xp adds up and will always get you to the level you need to. I don't pay much attention to it unless I am close to leveling then I pace it out so I can make sure I get my 10 training tomes bought before the price goes up again when I level. Other than that, I don't pay it much mind and I always get to the level I need to.
Not to be mean here but I don't get why people stop questing to save XP. By the end of the game you should be at lvl 65. KI expects you to be lvl 65. Your not really wasting XP. It's hard to explain but in the end your going to be the lvl they want you to be. Do you see what I'm saying? In the end we are all lvl 65. Some just get there first and others get there later.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I think it's fine the way it is... if anything I think KI should reduce the amount of XP we get.

On my first pirate, I did all the side quests immediately and half way through Marleybone I was maxed at 65. On my second pirate, I didn't do any side quests and finished Aquila at 64. Third pirate, I took maybe 7 side quests that gave a ton of XP and were easy to do, and finished Aquila perfectly at 65.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
You said it Chrissy, the XP is definitely there to be had. I too stopped questing to save experience upon my pirate reaching max level- I think he was maxed after 1st or 2nd quest in Aquila so I have been eagerly waiting to get back to it when the new worlds/content is added. All those side quests in the other worlds seem to easily put you past where your pirate needs to be to make the main quest not so unbearable- almost relatively easy. That is if you complete them all- you will surely be a few levels higher than if you didn't do them. As you noted, only downfall is that if you want to keep from wasting XP you have to put questing on hold- but that is just an option not a necessity.

Great tip about buying at least 10 tomes per level before the price goes up at next level. Which leads me to, hmmmm, dare I say........PHP.

Hint, Hint, Wink, Wink.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Actually, i calculated and if i finish aquila i will be at level 64 needing a load of more xp (2,000 or so). And wasn't anyone else annoyed when they saw they had to do a 1.5 hour dungeon seeing less than 3,000 xp at the end? It's strange really, on my swash i haven't even finished aquila (1 more quest) yet its maxxed, but my witch will have to do some side quests etc. Are you guys really all disagreeing with what i said? Almost every quest in the last 5 levels of aquila requires you to do a dungeon, and with little xp rewards. There should either be less quests and more xp for the dungeons we do, or more quests with even less xp rewards. You could fix it, but there are some people maxxing before the end of aquila and some stuck at 63 in the worst case after finishing it.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
You said it Chrissy, the XP is definitely there to be had. I too stopped questing to save experience upon my pirate reaching max level- I think he was maxed after 1st or 2nd quest in Aquila so I have been eagerly waiting to get back to it when the new worlds/content is added. All those side quests in the other worlds seem to easily put you past where your pirate needs to be to make the main quest not so unbearable- almost relatively easy. That is if you complete them all- you will surely be a few levels higher than if you didn't do them. As you noted, only downfall is that if you want to keep from wasting XP you have to put questing on hold- but that is just an option not a necessity.

Great tip about buying at least 10 tomes per level before the price goes up at next level. Which leads me to, hmmmm, dare I say........PHP.

Hint, Hint, Wink, Wink.
That's a good point, Valkoor -- holding off quests to prevent wasting XP is an option, not a necessity. When the Marleybone-Aquila update came through, Anne was all ready to go, having finished all sidequests and everything else. She struggled through some areas, and was happy to do so (as it meant needing to think!). It wasn't nearly so hard on the next character I brought through (Charlotte), and you know, I kind of missed having to really work at a few of those quests! (because I am crazy, I suppose )

So now I've brought both Anne and Charlotte all the way through Aquila, all sidequests, max nautical XP, and they are ready for their new adventures. Sure, I lost a lot of XP along the way, but it isn't strictly necessary for success, and, well, I rather enjoy the extra challenge. It would be fun to bring my next girl up (Anneke the witchdoctor) to the same level and see how swashbuckler/privateer/witchdoctor all compared, but I don't think there is going to be time for that. So for some, holding off once you hit maximum level is a good idea, but not a necessary strategy. Lots of flexibility in this game, which bringing the point back to the concern of the original poster, I would respectfully disagree, 'DeathWiz'. I think the experience levels work very well given as they have been for each quest.

Community Leader
I find the "wasted xp" concept rather humorous but to each their own.
I consider gold and drops just as rewarding for completing tasks.

I see this as an interactive story, we are able to play and gain levels as we go, but playing the game isn't about the XP, its about the story (IMO). When I read a book, I don't keep score by how many pages or chapters I have read.

There is ALWAYS adequate XP in KI games to get to the next level cap in each addition, so stopping because you see it as "wasting xp" is really limiting your progress. With each addition, the cap may go up, and each time, it will take more work just to get where the new content starts, and eventually you may not even get to the new content before you hit the level cap.

Should they change how XP is rewarded? I think the problem with that is in the differences in play style.
Many people do not want to do side quests, without sidequest XP, things may be a bit more even. Then again, we have to understand that they must provide enough XP with each update. So those that start new characters after updates are made, will end up going farther, and getting further ahead on XP than those created pre-update, that play all available content at the time, and wait for the next update.

Basically, it is the way it is, because they do their best to accommodate all styles of play.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Duke of Westminste... on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:
Not to be mean here but I don't get why people stop questing to save XP. By the end of the game you should be at lvl 65. KI expects you to be lvl 65. Your not really wasting XP. It's hard to explain but in the end your going to be the lvl they want you to be. Do you see what I'm saying? In the end we are all lvl 65. Some just get there first and others get there later.
What I mean is, I had two characters that I continued to quest when they reached the current (at the time) level cap in mooshu of 50. They continued to the end of the story. When they did Marleybone and Aquila they were starting at level 50. When my buccaneer finished Mooshu the level cap was higher so she was at level 55 or perhaps even closer to 60, I forget exactly. The point was she now had more skills and stronger stats because she was a higher level when she entered Marleybone. So she was able to get through the bosses much easier because she and her companions were stronger. That is what I mean my wasting xp. I realize there will always be enough. But I also realized that my pirate will be stronger tackling the new bosses if she uses all the xp avail to gear her and her companions up, so to speak. Make sense now?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Dr Zeppers on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:

I see this as an interactive story, we are able to play and gain levels as we go, but playing the game isn't about the XP, its about the story (IMO). When I read a book, I don't keep score by how many pages or chapters I have read.

There is ALWAYS adequate XP in KI games to get to the next level cap in each addition, so stopping because you see it as "wasting xp" is really limiting your progress. With each addition, the cap may go up, and each time, it will take more work just to get where the new content starts, and eventually you may not even get to the new content before you hit the level cap.

Should they change how XP is rewarded? I think the problem with that is in the differences in play style.
Many people do not want to do side quests, without sidequest XP, things may be a bit more even. Then again, we have to understand that they must provide enough XP with each update. So those that start new characters after updates are made, will end up going farther, and getting further ahead on XP than those created pre-update, that play all available content at the time, and wait for the next update.

Basically, it is the way it is, because they do their best to accommodate all styles of play.
I agree with you Dr Zeppers as far as to each their own. That is what is so great about the game- everyone can find their own way in the spiral and make it their own personal experience, not anyone else's.

For me, saving the XP is just a matter of numbers, nothing more nothing less. I don't really do it to gain any kind of edge or with thoughts about possibly losing an advantage in the game in the future. I don't really give it much thought as to how it will effect my future gameplay positively or negatively. It is simply a matter of saying oh well I will just save the XP points- I am not a person who likes to 'waste' anything, in life or in a game.

I know that waste is a silly way of putting it because clearly finishing the quest line for the current worlds can be and is just as beneficial to propel your pirate forward when the new content comes along. And there is more than enough XP in the game to where saving or not saving XP from the main quest really doesn't matter at all. They are not going to make a game, tailored to a younger audience that is going to deflate them due to it being unbearably difficult.

Although humorous to you it is just simply a matter of preference to me. It doesn't bother me at all that others choose to finish the current storyline, when there pirate has been maxed for a while- on the contrary, I think it is wonderful for them because they enjoyed the game the way they wanted to and made it their own great experience. I never see it is as humorous that they would have 'wasted such valuable XP'. I applaud them on completing the storyline and making the game as enjoyable as possible to them.

Besides there are so many other things to do in the spiral, even after reaching that cap. I thoroughly enjoy helping others, so much that even when I was a lower level, I would spend weeks to a month at a time doing nothing but helping anyone and everyone who needed. So, in all honesty, I have no problems not questing until new worlds come along. Plus I really like farming with friends- so 'sitting on that XP' doesn't even matter to me because I am having a blast working with and helping others. That is what the game is about after all having a great, fun gaming experience that is truly your own.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Dr Zeppers on Jan 9, 2014 wrote:

One other thing to add to your good points, is that it is not only about accommodating play styles, but also about accommodating all age groups that they are targeting as their fan base and players. It is easy for us to forget, and we need to keep in mind, that we adults and teenagers are not the only ones playing this great game. To the young children that love the game, a lot of what we are talking about probably matters little to them. They just want to have fun and be able to see their pirate "grow" and beat some bad guys.

My 7 year old son absolutely has a blast playing and doesn't give much thought to whether he should be doing all the side quests, or only doing main quests, should I get all the XP I can or will it go to waste, what level will I be if I do the side quests or don't do them or how will all of this affect the next world- for him it is just about living the pirate life and he enjoys every minute of it.

There are bunches and bunches of young ones that play Pirate101 and to a lot of them this stuff is probably trivial and unimportant as far as having fun goes. I am sure KI was well aware (and hoped for that matter) that kids would be largely represented in the Spiral, and for this reason made the game so that it would be as enjoyable to them, as it is to us 'bigger kids'.

So, I say just have fun and do whatever makes you happy and don't give too much worry or thought as to what others do. After all, everyone play's their own pirate not the other person's pirate.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
One other thing to add to your good points, is that it is not only about accommodating play styles, but also about accommodating all age groups that they are targeting as their fan base and players. It is easy for us to forget, and we need to keep in mind, that we adults and teenagers are not the only ones playing this great game. To the young children that love the game, a lot of what we are talking about probably matters little to them. They just want to have fun and be able to see their pirate "grow" and beat some bad guys.

My 7 year old son absolutely has a blast playing and doesn't give much thought to whether he should be doing all the side quests, or only doing main quests, should I get all the XP I can or will it go to waste, what level will I be if I do the side quests or don't do them or how will all of this affect the next world- for him it is just about living the pirate life and he enjoys every minute of it.

There are bunches and bunches of young ones that play Pirate101 and to a lot of them this stuff is probably trivial and unimportant as far as having fun goes. I am sure KI was well aware (and hoped for that matter) that kids would be largely represented in the Spiral, and for this reason made the game so that it would be as enjoyable to them, as it is to us 'bigger kids'.

So, I say just have fun and do whatever makes you happy and don't give too much worry or thought as to what others do. After all, everyone play's their own pirate not the other person's pirate.
Brilliantly said, as usual.