Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Better girl clothing.

AuthorMessage
Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
Hi Elizabeth, do you have one of those Drawing Manga High-School characters (I think they call it Sho-ji?) books on hand, or perhaps can borrow from the library? (I have one of those books around here somewhere, if you like I can find out the title). They can be very good in teaching general proportions and good for 'toon' faces. Mind you, in Pirate101 (and Wizard) the eyes are not Manga-huge, just a little larger than normal, to represent our characters (though I notice some people do make Manga versions of their characters and that works just fine). You can adjust accordingly to your taste.

For me, I had to adjust my usual drawing style a bit to make Anne's face correctly. I did several sketches, and simply was not satisfied. Then I was watching 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' with my family, and it hit me -- I had to draw all the way around the eye, to make the proper 'toon' eye. You have to use a very light hand for doing that football-shape that defines the eye (notice it tilts towards the nose slightly, and eyes are about another eye-shape apart from each other), and I found that raising the iris just above the lower eyelid, so there is a thin area of white there, works well to give the eye the right 'look' (haha, pun unintended). Anyway, drawing books do help a lot, and experimentation is a good thing. As my parents always told me 'practice makes perfect'! (or at least, builds character )

I'm looking forward to yours and Emma's drawings! Indeed, I am inspired by this thread to make more drawings to submit... once I get a chance. Things are pretty busy these days!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
I don't have any drawing books, but my dad gave me some tips for drawing faces (he's a world class doodler... IMO, anyway ) I'll make sure to check them out when my mom and I next go to the library (I'm running out of books at an alarming rate, meaning we'll be going again soon).

You watch The Last Airbender too??? Awesomeness! When I was younger and the series was still new, my parents and I watched the series together as a family as well, and we had a blast. A little more than a year ago my mom and I watched an Airbender marathon, once again enjoyed every little think Sokka said. Also, I had grown and matured some more, so I got a little bit more of the humor. The Legend of Korra is a sequal series to Avatar: The Last Airbender and although it's not nearly as good, it's still a neat story. The series has been off the air for more than a year now and the next new one is this Friday! I can't wait! I hope that it's as good as the last airbender.

Woah I'm getting off-topic. Hehe... sorry. XD I'll do what I can to work on Jade's face, and I hope that I'll get to see some more Anne Radcliffe originals soon!

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Just Add Bacon on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
I don't have any drawing books, but my dad gave me some tips for drawing faces (he's a world class doodler... IMO, anyway ) I'll make sure to check them out when my mom and I next go to the library (I'm running out of books at an alarming rate, meaning we'll be going again soon).

You watch The Last Airbender too??? Awesomeness! When I was younger and the series was still new, my parents and I watched the series together as a family as well, and we had a blast. A little more than a year ago my mom and I watched an Airbender marathon, once again enjoyed every little think Sokka said. Also, I had grown and matured some more, so I got a little bit more of the humor. The Legend of Korra is a sequal series to Avatar: The Last Airbender and although it's not nearly as good, it's still a neat story. The series has been off the air for more than a year now and the next new one is this Friday! I can't wait! I hope that it's as good as the last airbender.

Woah I'm getting off-topic. Hehe... sorry. XD I'll do what I can to work on Jade's face, and I hope that I'll get to see some more Anne Radcliffe originals soon!
Season two for "The Legend of Korra" was great!

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Just Add Bacon on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:

Well, Lizzy, I wish I did know you in real life- I could give you drawing lessons and such. I've been sketching for what, nine or eight years, the majority of my life? XD I draw manga myself sometimes- in fact, I've perfected three styles of eyes.

Never watched Last Airbender, but I have indeed watched a different anime or two. XD

Ciao!

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Dr Zeppers on Sep 2, 2013 wrote:
Who am I to go against such a request....

I agree would be nice if the girls had some slightly more feminine garb to wear. Although when it came to pirating, even the female pirates I have seen actually did wear garb more attuned to "male", likely because it was more appropriate for battle/fighting when such activity was required.

I read the comment about the "off the shoulder tops" however, and it reminded me of comments early on that I had read where some people of some religions were offended with this sort of garb. Even asked that the companions garb be changed. As I recall the situation basically was diffused with the situation being that the companions wearing such garb were "animals", not human.

If this were made available for our pirates however, our pirates ARE human. This could be an issue.
Not with me, but with some!
Yea, thats actually pretty true, i would like it if the girls had more, attractive clothing, but i do believe Ki has reasons for not making such (although i do a kinda believe its a little paranoid, but thats the reason i'm going off of, hey )

Still happy to back up the request

Xavier Veldon lvl 65

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
Monquistans78 on Sep 3, 2013 wrote:
If you want to know what I am talking about, play "Tomb Raider." They are just making girls look like nothing more than statues to look at. I already am uncomfortable looking at Sarah Steele, Bonnie Anne, and Mustang Sally. If every girl pirate in the game looked like that, I would probably quit it.
*shrugs* I truly don't see anything wrong with girls not being *cough cough* flat chested, just like I don't see a problem with guys having a few muscles. Sure, there's sometimes a thin line between making the women look like women, or having women looking more like *cough* pieces of art (only to be looked at, that is). Fortunately for KI, we're only kids in the game, so it's not uncommon for girls our age to be flat chested (i think they did that so they can avoid this whole little mess), but as far as Bonnie Anne, Sally, Sarah and even Gracie and Zeena, I think KI did okay with them. I don't see anything wrong with them at all. I honestly think it'll be a little odd if they were as, *cough cough* as flat chested as us, since they're obviously not kids anymore (i'd say they're around 18-24, i guess... ignoring the whole 'animal lifespan' and having shorter lifespans than humans thing... i think they live about as long as humans here, but that's another story...).

Any who *shrugs*, it's not like KI is giving girls those "Tomb Raider" type of clothing to begin with. That type of clothing doesn't even exist in the game! Trust me, I know exactly what you're talking about. I hate playing games like that anyways, which is why I love KI so much. If your referring to Bonnie's skirt... what's wrong with a skirt..? I personally don't wear them, but my little sis does all the time. The skirt's not even that short... so I don't really see a problem. Same goes for Sarah's outfit and Sally's dress... nothing wrong at all, as far as I can see...

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Bloody Belle on Sep 26, 2013 wrote:
*shrugs* I truly don't see anything wrong with girls not being *cough cough* flat chested, just like I don't see a problem with guys having a few muscles. Sure, there's sometimes a thin line between making the women look like women, or having women looking more like *cough* pieces of art (only to be looked at, that is). Fortunately for KI, we're only kids in the game, so it's not uncommon for girls our age to be flat chested (i think they did that so they can avoid this whole little mess), but as far as Bonnie Anne, Sally, Sarah and even Gracie and Zeena, I think KI did okay with them. I don't see anything wrong with them at all. I honestly think it'll be a little odd if they were as, *cough cough* as flat chested as us, since they're obviously not kids anymore (i'd say they're around 18-24, i guess... ignoring the whole 'animal lifespan' and having shorter lifespans than humans thing... i think they live about as long as humans here, but that's another story...).

Any who *shrugs*, it's not like KI is giving girls those "Tomb Raider" type of clothing to begin with. That type of clothing doesn't even exist in the game! Trust me, I know exactly what you're talking about. I hate playing games like that anyways, which is why I love KI so much. If your referring to Bonnie's skirt... what's wrong with a skirt..? I personally don't wear them, but my little sis does all the time. The skirt's not even that short... so I don't really see a problem. Same goes for Sarah's outfit and Sally's dress... nothing wrong at all, as far as I can see...
Agree. Got to admit, I used to watch my dad play tomb raider and give him a hint or two...don't know why...
Anyway, i too don't see anything wrong with Bonnie's, Sara's or any of the girls clothing. I don't like wearing skirts, it's not my style, but when I got to Aquila I felt a little...um...
'' Uncomfortable?'' suggested Ratbeard.
Yeah, that's the word. Why? Armor. Ashley doesn't look good in armor and even had a little help from Subodai putting it on, getting ready for Troy. I'm still trying to find the right clothing for Aquila...

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Sep 8, 2013 wrote:
Each of my pirate characters has a specially created outfit as I draw them. From Raven with her cloak and dress to Sonata with her near copy of Bonnie Anne's Highlander outfit, I put a lot of time into conceptually drawing each of them with their appearances and outfits. I'm actually in the middle of drawing a new one for Emma right now. XD I would indeed like some more feminine clothing for my girlier characters- such as Angelika van Hoffman and Anneke Holystone.

But if I were to say this from my personalized point of view, I'm not generally into the girly and feminine apparel and I strongly prefer the more... Tomboyesque ensembles. Though, I would indeed like a crossed outfit between girly and tomboyish- like a shoulderless short dress with leggings or something like that. Sarah Steele-ish clothes, really.

But on a more serious note- if what you guys mean by girly, you mean like a gypsy, I'm all for it.

Ciao!
hey ,you do art emma? :D

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Speed Switch on Oct 9, 2013 wrote:
hey ,you do art emma? :D
Si- soy artistica. In other words, yes, I am artistic. I sketch on a daily basis, and I have so many drawings that it takes seven sketchbooks and more yet to keep them all within sight. XD

Ciao!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:
Si- soy artistica. In other words, yes, I am artistic. I sketch on a daily basis, and I have so many drawings that it takes seven sketchbooks and more yet to keep them all within sight. XD

Ciao!
What a blessing to be so gifted in so many areas. I am gonna be able to say someday when you are famous (even more famous than you are now) and be able to say, " I knew her when."

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 10, 2013 wrote:

Ciao!
That's wonderful that you make time for sketching every day, Emma. Good for you!

Now, this definitely sounds like "bringing coals to Newcastle" (Newcastle being famous for its coal industry), but I was thinking of making a drawing of Emma in her 18th C. gown and submitting it to the Fan Art page, so you could see what it looked like. ('Cause you know how I feel about those kinds of clothes ) Would this be okay, Emma, or would you rather just have her in your interpretation?

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:
That's wonderful that you make time for sketching every day, Emma. Good for you!

Now, this definitely sounds like "bringing coals to Newcastle" (Newcastle being famous for its coal industry), but I was thinking of making a drawing of Emma in her 18th C. gown and submitting it to the Fan Art page, so you could see what it looked like. ('Cause you know how I feel about those kinds of clothes ) Would this be okay, Emma, or would you rather just have her in your interpretation?
Yes yes yes yes yes and yes! Please do! I'd love to see how your imagination works. ^^

Ciao!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Oct 11, 2013 wrote:

x Slips application for dress modeling for artistic interpretation under Captain's quarters door. Includes coupon for art pencils x

Ensign
Nov 23, 2011

Yeah it's like, if you can put an off the shoulder gypsy outfit on Madame Vadima or Bonnie Anne, why not your girl pirate?

Also, the kind of outfits I wanted are stuff like of course, gypsy, and even Victorian style long dresses. With sleeves. That shows off your pirate girl's figure. Like some other outfits do.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Oct 12, 2013 wrote:
Yes yes yes yes yes and yes! Please do! I'd love to see how your imagination works. ^^

Ciao!
Emma chan! you do mark crilley then right???

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012

yea totally! i totally agree with most of it, but i disagree that the pirates are kids, thats what i hate about your pirate there is no age reference to them, they are just avatars. i dislike when the games make the girls as if they are trying to distract guys completely from the game so they focus only on the woman. (STREEEET FIGHTER!!!) but i do think Ki is a little too skeptical in this case. i have to agree almost all the girl clothing is made like the concept of it was made for a man and someone just modified it to look like it was for a girl. there are few robes i can "eh, i don't wanna wear this, it looks to girly" one example is the Gi's (like the Kano Sensi Gi) those look like actually feminine pieces of clothing. but another thing i don't like is that certain types of clothes seem to change your characters age, for an instance, most of the cool ranch clothing for girls they are not, flat chested, they also appear to have hips. same for the Gi. but that doesn't matter much, but i do think there needs to be some girl specific clothing.

I dont think Ki will ever have.. what you call it....Piece of art women clothing, which is good, very. but they don't need to be so strict with it i think, i notice you can never, EVER see your pirates skin. apart from thier face, you ever see their elbow or higher, i haven't even seen their ankles! lol i do respect this, but i kind of gives the Allusion of a ... little kids game...

Xavier

Mason Xiriga - Lvl 58