Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Do's and don't's, a high levels curse, READ

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
Sky Sailor on Aug 20, 2013 wrote:
Usually I'll stitch my equipment so I don't look too high level.. Also, Bloody Belle, Text Chat to Menu Chat users just appears as "..."
Now THAT is a good idea!

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
Well, thanks! I tried to be courteous yesterday when I wound up on the same sigil as another player (who stood there looking at me and then jumped on after I did, by the way) and it was an area I'd already completed but I just needed a few more XP points to reach the next level so I was re-doing it for that. He ran in and waited for me so we joined battle together and I wound up getting all the enemies while he only got one or two shots in. I let him know I'd done this area and just wanted to help him and asked if he wanted to take the lead and he never responded. I stood by as he joined the next battle and asked if he wanted me to join or just let him do his thing. Again, he never responded and just took off after he won so I just left. I guess it doesn't work with everyone.

Also got a new friend yesterday who's lvl 22 (I'm 44) and I think he must be getting commission for bringing players to the Bazaar or something because he kept going on and on about how awesome the stuff is and how he'd bring me there and how I'd be so much better and more powerful. I let him bring me there to humor him and I didn't see anything for my level that was better than what I already had equipped. He also liked to call for help and then bark instructions at me the whole time. Hard to read tone over text but I think I saw one *please* the entire time.

About the text/menu chat, after reading your responses I thought really hard about what I actually remembered and I'm pretty sure what actually happened was that I wasn't sending private texts to this girl----just typing in the text chat box where it showed up in a speech bubble on the screen and she said she could see what I was saying. Does that sound right? I couldn't even tell you what I had for supper last night so that's my excuse.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Aug 20, 2013 wrote:
Well, thanks! I tried to be courteous yesterday when I wound up on the same sigil as another player (who stood there looking at me and then jumped on after I did, by the way) and it was an area I'd already completed but I just needed a few more XP points to reach the next level so I was re-doing it for that. He ran in and waited for me so we joined battle together and I wound up getting all the enemies while he only got one or two shots in. I let him know I'd done this area and just wanted to help him and asked if he wanted to take the lead and he never responded. I stood by as he joined the next battle and asked if he wanted me to join or just let him do his thing. Again, he never responded and just took off after he won so I just left. I guess it doesn't work with everyone.

Also got a new friend yesterday who's lvl 22 (I'm 44) and I think he must be getting commission for bringing players to the Bazaar or something because he kept going on and on about how awesome the stuff is and how he'd bring me there and how I'd be so much better and more powerful. I let him bring me there to humor him and I didn't see anything for my level that was better than what I already had equipped. He also liked to call for help and then bark instructions at me the whole time. Hard to read tone over text but I think I saw one *please* the entire time.

About the text/menu chat, after reading your responses I thought really hard about what I actually remembered and I'm pretty sure what actually happened was that I wasn't sending private texts to this girl----just typing in the text chat box where it showed up in a speech bubble on the screen and she said she could see what I was saying. Does that sound right? I couldn't even tell you what I had for supper last night so that's my excuse.
x Chuckles x You sound like a very courteous player that would be a joy to play with so I wouldn't worry about breaking etiquette. You seem to have it well in hand.
I believe the person you were talking to had limited chat and was calling it menu chat by mistake as a menu chat person can only see stuff from the list on the menu chat, even the regular chat bubbles cannot be seen from a menu chatters screen. Don't worry about dinner last night either, I would have to really think hard about that one too.

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
I suppose I should have shared a story, actually THE story that prompted me to post this. In no way was I trying to act like a know it all or arrogant. Alas, here's the story, and perhaps you can understand the reason behind this thread.

I was helping every one that asked for help, as quickly as I could get to them. One friend begins screaming for help in all caps, repetitively. I kept telling him to hold on, I'll be there asap.

That was not good enough. He proceeded to curse, tell me that he was going to die, why couldn't I just flee the fight I was doing and go help him? I thought, Travis, keep in mind this could be a child.

I replied nicely, and received more harassment to HURRY UP! He then began saying "to be so high level, it sure is taking you a long time" and other such remarks.

At this point, I was ready to port and show off. After all, he was thirty levels lower than me. So I did just that. I found him with nearly full health, two companions and only one enemy. The second it threw me into the fight, he began in all caps again, "NOT NOW!" "Don't join!" "Leave him for me!"

Needless to say he met ignore real fast. So you see, there was no high level smugness behind my original post. Sometimes, people are just annoying out there.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Aug 20, 2013 wrote:

If that girl was truly a Menu Chat only user, you wouldn't be able to send her private texts from Text Chat. Only text from Menu Chat is allowed when it comes to sending private messages

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Bloody Belle on Aug 21, 2013 wrote:
If that girl was truly a Menu Chat only user, you wouldn't be able to send her private texts from Text Chat. Only text from Menu Chat is allowed when it comes to sending private messages
Tiffany, if that person was menu chat there is no way they could have even heard you ask if they could hear you. That isn't even is the menu chat list. I still suspect the person was either masquerading as a menu chatter or they had limited chat and thought that was what menu chat was. A limited chat person cannot see anything an open chat person types that shows up yellow (No one can see the red stuff), so they will not be able to see numbers or, for example, the pirate name Kai as it shows up yellow (no clue why on that one.) but since they cannot see some of the things you type they may have 'thought' they had menu chat since they knew they were missing out on some stuff.

Community Leader
TalonDevereaux68 on Aug 15, 2013 wrote:
It's not so much strangers jumping on sigils that I activate that bothers me (more players in combat = more enemies = more gold), so much as it is strangers that initiate combat before I have a chance to hear any quest-related dialogue.

Yeah, I am one of those annoying roleplayers you've heard about that talks like a pirate and enjoys the storyline.
I agree, I sympathize whole heartedly, it would seem KI does not however.

With the last major update there were several dungeons/battles that pulled you in with no notice when one of the party clicks "done". The game doesnt wait for everyone to click DONE like it should.

This annoying feature which regardless of KI's views is one of the few detriments to the game was apparently put in by design.

As we tested this game, we were told as we had various struggles that we were to observe and prepare for battles to improve our successes. With a change like this, they are admittedly taking that away from us, not wanting us to see whats in store for us and be able to prepare.

Because of this I can no longer quest with ANYONE I do not know, as I refuse to let perfect strangers take away from and dictate my game experience, and as it is, it takes coordinating the dungeon with my friends on via voice communication like ventrilo or skype to do things "right". There is no way to do this with in game communications, it remains a detriment to game play to this day.

The problem with complaining about this, and we did, seems to me, that when KI puts in a feature intentionally, they are stubborn about removing it, regardless of its other shortcomings. They are pretty smart folks, but I dont think they always know whats best even for themselves. I hope that they review this and take it out, or "fix" it to work the way it should at some point.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
I feel bad because I asked my friend Hardy Charles for help a lot but I am glad I am not very bad because I didn't order him to attack anyone certain.

Reliable Mason Brewster lvl 56

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
Well, I give up then. I have a horrible memory and am confused about.....oh, 99% of the time, I'd say. I've been playing since June and am still learning new things that everybody else probably picked up during their first day.

I just kind of float through life which drives my OCD sister insane but it has its upsides as well. I get a lot of pitying looks but they're almost always followed by a pat on the head so that's nice. And there's always something new to discover which makes things exciting.

This thread has given me a bit of a backbone though and I wound up ignoring 2 on my list yesterday. Calling for help for every battle when they were 1-2 moves away from winning (so I didn't even get to participate) and then leaving me stranded to make my way all the way back to the realm I'd been in and/or calling me in along with a high level player and then telling me to heal them but leave the enemies alone because they wanted to see their other friend's awesome move. I just couldn't imagine doing something like that after I'd asked someone to help me. This thread lets me know that others have problems with that too so I'm not just being touchy and I have a legitimate gripe.

Thanks to all of the players here who make the experience enjoyable for others!

Thrifty Tiffany Webb

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CaptainJack74011 on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
I feel bad because I asked my friend Hardy Charles for help a lot but I am glad I am not very bad because I didn't order him to attack anyone certain.

Jack, Please don't feel bad about asking for help. We all need help in the game and some of us even have friends that are good enough that they show up to help even before we ask them, and I for one am so grateful and touched by such shows of care and compassion by other players. As long as you are polite about it, and it sure appears you have been, and show your gratefulness and pay it forward then all is going as it should. You are just fine. The kind of player we all enjoy playing with. Keep up the good work.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
Well, I give up then. I have a horrible memory and am confused about.....oh, 99% of the time, I'd say. I've been playing since June and am still learning new things that everybody else probably picked up during their first day.

I just kind of float through life which drives my OCD sister insane but it has its upsides as well. I get a lot of pitying looks but they're almost always followed by a pat on the head so that's nice. And there's always something new to discover which makes things exciting.

This thread has given me a bit of a backbone though and I wound up ignoring 2 on my list yesterday. Calling for help for every battle when they were 1-2 moves away from winning (so I didn't even get to participate) and then leaving me stranded to make my way all the way back to the realm I'd been in and/or calling me in along with a high level player and then telling me to heal them but leave the enemies alone because they wanted to see their other friend's awesome move. I just couldn't imagine doing something like that after I'd asked someone to help me. This thread lets me know that others have problems with that too so I'm not just being touchy and I have a legitimate gripe.

Thrifty Tiffany Webb
Tiffany, you are being way too hard on yourself . You seem to have things well in hand and have a great understanding of the game and human nature. Trust me learning it all quickly is Not how I did it at all. Just ask my friends how many questions I ask even today. You would be stunned if you knew how many companions I have retrained because I had no clue what I was doing when I picked things for them. I was just going for balance and didn't have the foggiest notion who needed what. You are doing excellent and the fact that you are here, asking questions shows your wisdom in wanting to be a better player. I had to be convinced by my mentor to come here, I thought it was too confusing and I thought I wouldn't understand what to read or how to follow stuff. Well he was right and I love it here and I am Much the better player for it. Once again Angel Xiriga, you were right . x Bows respectfully to Mentor/Sensei x.
I can't wait to meet you in the game because I already know that you are a joy to play with. And never fear, answering questions doesn't bother me a bit, I have a lot of questions to pay forward, just ask Angel and David and Pearl and Salty Jack and Richard (my bodyguard) and Josh and Rebecca ( well she is menu chat but has helped with more fights than I can count) and Emma and Anne and Destiny and Ronan and.........well you get the idea lol.

P.S. If I didn't say your name it's not for your lack of importance it is only that I am running out of space x hugs, blessings and giggles to all of you x

Ensign
Oct 27, 2009
Let us please have moment of silence for all the members in this community who are members of a help group such as Mercenaries for Charter and The Ship Sinkers. As a former member of one I can say... you ain't seen nothin' yet .

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:

Thrifty Tiffany Webb
And thank you as well

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:
Jack, Please don't feel bad about asking for help. We all need help in the game and some of us even have friends that are good enough that they show up to help even before we ask them, and I for one am so grateful and touched by such shows of care and compassion by other players. As long as you are polite about it, and it sure appears you have been, and show your gratefulness and pay it forward then all is going as it should. You are just fine. The kind of player we all enjoy playing with. Keep up the good work.
After reading this I feel better. I am touched by what you said I feel that you deserve a medal. *Badge earned: A good person*

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CaptainJack74011 on Aug 23, 2013 wrote:
After reading this I feel better. I am touched by what you said I feel that you deserve a medal. *Badge earned: A good person*
x Pins badge to Jacket in prominent place x Thank you, I shall wear it with pride . x Smartly salutes x

Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
CaptainJack74011 on Aug 22, 2013 wrote:

Don't feel bad for asking for help. Everyone does my friend :) Like I said, none of us mind at all to help our friends. Mostly, that's why we play at this point is JUST to help friends. It is no burden, but there are certain situations that just irritate others. You, however, have nothing to worry about, I'm sure.