Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Dialogue Pop Ups and Early Battle Starts

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
I have been to two sigil fights (Miss Mayfield in Kent Sundries & Dr. Glendon) and both times I'm pulled into the fight while the dialogue pops up. Now since this is my first time through I would like to read/hear what the NPC's have to say but by the time they are done my battle has already started and the timer is running out.

Also I just went back into Kent Sundries to check the name of the woman to save from the Wereman and as soon as the screen loaded with my pirate inside she was dragged to battle. There was no pause to look around, change up companions, or even run toward the mob like you would do in a normal fight.

Is this supposed to be how the fights are in the new worlds. Cause they didn't do this in the previous ones.

Thank you for any insight you can give on this

~SM~

Administrator
Hi! This appears to be by design; both fights are ambushes so the player is not supposed to have time to look around and plan. However, the fights won't begin until you hit the Done button on the dialogue interface.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Hi! This appears to be by design; both fights are ambushes so the player is not supposed to have time to look around and plan. However, the fights won't begin until you hit the Done button on the dialogue interface.
Jack, this has been a problem in Multiplayer with my questing group.

Some players are being dragged into the fight before others.
Not everyone reads at the same speed, not everyone waits to hear the voice overs which takes time.

A group should at least be able to start and finish a battle together.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
Thank you very much, Jack :)

I don't mind the ambushes cause it means I have to be quick on my feet and speedy of guile in battle. I just really like to read the story or hear the NPC's voice them.

I will be looking forward to doing these fights on my next 4 pirates and will see what they actually said.

Thanks again for taking note and replying.

~SM~

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Dr Zeppers on May 31, 2013 wrote:
Jack, this has been a problem in Multiplayer with my questing group.

Some players are being dragged into the fight before others.
Not everyone reads at the same speed, not everyone waits to hear the voice overs which takes time.

A group should at least be able to start and finish a battle together.
I have been seeing this happen too. It was in the tower on the way to fight Sato (I think). The first player was pulled into the battle and got no dialog and the other players had to quickly skip through the dialog so they could get into the battle.

Community Leader
This just happened again to my crew on quest "The Halls of Minos" a dungeon/quest on Knossos.

There are 4 of us in our group.

We like to look around, so I went the opposite direction my friends did on the second room.
A dialogue suddenly pops up, motivating me to catch up with my friends.

So I quickly click through the dialogue so I can run over, as soon as I click done, I am pulled halfway across the dungeon, onto the battle floor, as are my friends, which are now being rushed through the dialogue to not get behind in the battle. Making it hard or impossible for them to enjoy the dialogue as well.

The games inconsistent handling of dungeon/battle dialogues, how the battle is started, and the way it selects order of the team has been frustrating us all to no end.

The cost of these changes is players enjoying the storyline, dialogue, and content. Is this the intention? Anticipate this and coordinate with my friends one might say? There is no way you can coordinate what everyones doing in a group, in this game as it stands, the tools are just not there. My friends TALK on skype and we still are getting frustated, we try to anticipate, but inconsistent game behavior is making it difficult.

IMO some of these things being done to improve the experience, are ruining it.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
This just happened again to my crew on quest "The Halls of Minos" a dungeon/quest on Knossos.

There are 4 of us in our group.

We like to look around, so I went the opposite direction my friends did on the second room.
A dialogue suddenly pops up, motivating me to catch up with my friends.

So I quickly click through the dialogue so I can run over, as soon as I click done, I am pulled halfway across the dungeon, onto the battle floor, as are my friends, which are now being rushed through the dialogue to not get behind in the battle. Making it hard or impossible for them to enjoy the dialogue as well.

The games inconsistent handling of dungeon/battle dialogues, how the battle is started, and the way it selects order of the team has been frustrating us all to no end.

The cost of these changes is players enjoying the storyline, dialogue, and content. Is this the intention? Anticipate this and coordinate with my friends one might say? There is no way you can coordinate what everyones doing in a group, in this game as it stands, the tools are just not there. My friends TALK on skype and we still are getting frustated, we try to anticipate, but inconsistent game behavior is making it difficult.

IMO some of these things being done to improve the experience, are ruining it.
With regards to the team order, I have found that whoever presses "done" first is the one that will be first in battle.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
This may be the intent Jack but it is not happening this way. I went into the last fight for the Wereman quest and I also enjoy reading and listening to the voice actors hard work and before I could finish reading and listening to the text box from the rioters I heard the beeping warning from the countdown timer. I spaced as fast as I could, thus ditching all the rest of the sound acting put into the game and I still was completely skipped for the first round of the fight as the timer ran out just as I cleared the screen to see the grid. The timer started when I entered the house, not when I hit that last done button. I wish they would change it so that the done button triggered the timer, then I would not have to ignore all the work Sara's team puts into this game.

Community Leader
My evaluation of this change....

This is designed to not let a solo person playing look around and prepare for a battle.

Probably works great as designed for solo play.

Unfortunately the selected fix of forcing all the players along with the first player is a major injustice to the multiplayer experience.

Its frustrating to no end, and I can no longer enjoy the storyline/content while questing with my friends.

I have been a long time KI gamer, but Pirate101 as is, motivates everyone to play by themselves. This is not what I want in an MMO, and will not be renewing at the end of my year if it remains this way.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
If this is by design, it is a very poor design! I thought the fun in this game was the adventure, the story line, the roles, words, and characters? If you are playing Solo, you will get all these benefits, but if you are playing with friends playing multi-player, which I thought an MMO was supposed to do, then you lose all of this.

The first player that clicks done, pulls everyone into battle, everyone misses the entire experience. Those battles that don't automatically pull you in, you can miss the first turn if you are a slow reader, or trying to enjoy the experience.

I will say again, this is a poor design, if anything, nothing should happen until everyone is done reading and click done, then it would be fine if it pulled you into battle, but that is not the way it is working!

DarthJT

Administrator
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 5, 2013 wrote:
This may be the intent Jack but it is not happening this way. I went into the last fight for the Wereman quest and I also enjoy reading and listening to the voice actors hard work and before I could finish reading and listening to the text box from the rioters I heard the beeping warning from the countdown timer. I spaced as fast as I could, thus ditching all the rest of the sound acting put into the game and I still was completely skipped for the first round of the fight as the timer ran out just as I cleared the screen to see the grid. The timer started when I entered the house, not when I hit that last done button. I wish they would change it so that the done button triggered the timer, then I would not have to ignore all the work Sara's team puts into this game.
Thanks! We'll take a look at it.

Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
Just wanted to comment, that its not just the Wereman dungeon that does this.

All dungeons/battles that pull the players in when they click Done appears to have adverse effects when playing in a group.

This has been quite a downer on the game lately, hoping this is fixed or improved to be a bit more player friendly, as I hate missing dialogue and voiceovers that make the game fun, and interesting. I know you folks put a lot of effort into that stuff to, I am sure you want us to enjoy it, and not have one player in a group dictate the other players experience.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
Thanks so much Jack. I also remember when I helped someone through the Beachhead and he spaced through the reading and I didn't know it and I missed out on choosing my companions for the first fight with Bishop and I would up with two witchdoctors and that was not fun. . But I will admit I had to come up with some very creative fighting styles to meet the new challenge so the glass wasn't entirely half empty I learned to be a better fighter from it.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Darth JT on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
If this is by design, it is a very poor design! I thought the fun in this game was the adventure, the story line, the roles, words, and characters? If you are playing Solo, you will get all these benefits, but if you are playing with friends playing multi-player, which I thought an MMO was supposed to do, then you lose all of this.

The first player that clicks done, pulls everyone into battle, everyone misses the entire experience. Those battles that don't automatically pull you in, you can miss the first turn if you are a slow reader, or trying to enjoy the experience.

I will say again, this is a poor design, if anything, nothing should happen until everyone is done reading and click done, then it would be fine if it pulled you into battle, but that is not the way it is working!

DarthJT
I don't usually have this problem, because I only play in a group of 3 with my wife (I play 2 accounts) and we make sure we are ready before anyone presses done.
But I can definitely see it being a problem when you are questing with random people. If it waited till everyone had pressed done then put them into battle in the order they had pressed done. They would just need to fix the cases where only one person gets to hear the dialog.

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Something else that I've noticed about this. In some instances (such as in certain boss fights in marleybone (and I don't just mean the epic battles either), by the time the dialogue box pops up, you're not only pulled into the fight, but it also disappears as well once you get into the first planning phase of the fight. Since I too also like to both listen to and read the characters' dialogue, this poses as a major annoyance for me.

If it was just one slide and that's it, then it might not be that big of a problem, but that's usually not the case sadly, as whenever this happens, usually the character(s) have more than one slide of dialogue to say, and since the dialogues are usually a one time per character thing, this prevents me from viewing them at all and is a major annoyance and a letdown if you know what I mean.

Please take a look at these when you can, as I really enjoy both listening to and reading about all of the hard work that you put into this game. Thanks in advance.

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
Thanks so much Jack. I also remember when I helped someone through the Beachhead and he spaced through the reading and I didn't know it and I missed out on choosing my companions for the first fight with Bishop and I would up with two witchdoctors and that was not fun. . But I will admit I had to come up with some very creative fighting styles to meet the new challenge so the glass wasn't entirely half empty I learned to be a better fighter from it.
This is also another common occurrence for me. There have been many epic battles where I am reading/listening to the dialogue and have not gotten to choose my own Companions in an Epic fight. My teammates are like why would you choose "so and so" for this fight and I'm like "I didn't! Some one ran into battle without waiting and I DIDN'T get to choose"

I have that thread on P101Central about the NPC dialogues not being correct (voice over & text reading aren't consistent) so it is also USEFUL for me to be able to read the dialogue at the Actor's reading pace.

f these are designed as an ambush so we can't look around and get our bearings then here's a suggestion. After someone hits done but while others are reading the people who are through, their done button could turn into a timer. Kind of like some of the dialogue already in place where it counts down. That way the first people done won't have a chance to take in the situation or wander around while the voice over finishes the speech.

~SM~

Community Leader
As I understand this was supposedly intended behavior.

But I dont think its working as intended.

My friends and I are in a dungeon.
One approachs the next battle and gets dialogue and stops before even clicking "Done".
The rest of us proceed to the area and get the text.
While we are reading the first person clicks "Done".

All of us are immediately pulled into battle not even given the chance to finish reading the dialogue.

Technically players are being robbed of being able to enjoy the content. This is not an isolated incident, it happens in numerous dungeons.

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
Sorry to bother you again, Jack but I've got two more fights this happens at.

I am working on my Witchdoctor atm and doing her quests SOLO. So there is not any problem of someone else spacing through the dialogue and forcing me to rush into battle.

I just did the fight with Meowzer (for the rope for Dockmaster Nathan's quest "Like Cats & Dogs"). As soon as I walked down the stairs in Meowzer's area, the dialogue box popped up then disappeared before I could do more than glimpse at it. I had not hit Done at all before it took me to the Epic Fight companion selection. The voice over continued talking but there was no dialogue to read (or compare it to).

Right now I'm on the fight in Bonnie Anne's promo (V for Vulpine) where you had to get the key from the Radical foxes in order to get inside the door (Ratbeard couldn't bust it open). As soon as I walked inside, again the dialogue popped up for a fraction of a second then I was dragged into battle without being able to read what it said. Again I did not get the chance to hit Done.

~SM~

Administrator
Thanks! I will forward it along.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I noticed that during the quest "Where man? Wereman!!", I entered the instance with the Rioters searching for the Wereman, and found that there were so many rioters all over the instance, they were even very near the exit. I was drawn into the battle with them, but luckily heard the dialogue before I continued on. These Rioters are way too close to the exit to leave the instance. By any chance, One-Eyed Jack, would you please move the Rioters slightly away from the exit, so there won't be an another unintentional battle with them?

Also, One-Eyed Jack, I noticed the similar problem happening during the dungeon quest "Whacko Yak-O". When I went to the second floor inside the Scarlet Orchid Tea Pagoda tower instance, I didn't get a chance to hear the dialogue with Monkey King and the Yakooza Pig Archers in that said floor before heading into combat. The same problem happened in the following floors with different enemies, including the final floor with Sato himself. I tried to slowly approach them without getting drawn so I could hear the dialogue, but mostly, the battles just start straightaway without even a single chance to listen to it. Please correct this!

Thanks!

Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Thanks! I will forward it along.
Jack,

This issue about when battles begin, and dialogues get skipped has been a bit of a problem for me and my friends. Should we be reporting specific dungeons/battles? Would that be helpful? I had thought it more a global issue but if its more a matter of specific battles, ill make more of an effort to document them as I encounter them.

Please advise, thanks.

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
I'm doing the quest "Golem Gee" to test the War Golems. It also drags you in where the pop up appears then disappears without reading it.

~SM~

PS just so you know, anything more that I post in near future will be from my WD's solo questing. So you know no one else is clicking done early.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 5, 2013 wrote:
I had this happen to me as well. I was in a group and we all missed the first round. Then when it was our turn again we all clicked on the dialog that popped up but we were then skipped for a second time. We were not sure if we would even get a chance to play (but we did and won with no casualties).

If you want to do an ambush, give the enemies the first move. Simple.