Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Shadowdance

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 03, 2013
I worked hard to get this new skill 'shadowdance'. It is supposed to increase criticals and lasts 3 turns. I do not see any difference in my play which is very disappointing. It also means that I lose an attack opportunity by applying the skill in the first place. It really should 'guarentee' epic moves for at least 3 turns or more. I have placed it last on my powers list until issue is resolved.

Developer
Your chance of scoring a critical increases by about x2.5 with the power active, but it is not guaranteed.

To gain back the action that you spent activating the power, you will need to position yourself correctly in the battle, and maximize the other powers and epic talents at your disposal which increase the number of attacks you can launch "for free"-- Riposte, First Strike, Gallant Defense, etc.

Fortunately, Swashbucklers have lots of extra movement and the Jump talent, so you should have no trouble getting into position.

We do review powers and talents from time to time based on feedback from the players, but this power is currently working as designed.

Community Leader
Speaking of Shadowdance, it seems to be counting the round you use it as the first of your three turns. That doesn't seem very fair to me.

Since it only improves your own Critical chances (not your allies) and you can't use Shadowdance and attack in the same turn, you're really only getting two useable rounds of increased criticals instead of three.

I would like to see Shadowdance extended for four rounds rather than three - the first round to use the power, followed by a full three rounds of boosted attacks before it wears off.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Gunner's Mate
Dec 31, 2009
For a moment, I didn't know what the fuss was about here. However, a part that may be holding you back from your Shadowdance potential may be your epic abilities and your placement on the board. Unlike Critical Strike, Walk in Darkness/Shadows, or other critical-type abilities, Shadowdance and Grand Shadowdance go into effect for all the rounds listed, which is pretty sweet on its own. Pirates with talents such as Repel Boarders, First Strike, Riposte, and Cheap Shot would pair well with Shadowdance abilities. Furthermore, if you're surrounded by enemies while knowing these epic abilities really puts a dent in their health when paired with Shadowdance abilities.
Here's a fun combo: Walk in Darkness/Shadows + Shadowdance (Grand Shadowdance works a LOT better) + Swashbuckler strike (Assassin's Strike, Back Stab) = a very effective hit. Minimum time: three turns plus movement.

Hope those tips ease the frustration! (Viva Los Piratas!)

D.S. Devereaux

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Actually, you can use shadowdance in the first round. When first strike or reposte get triggered, shadowdance increases your critical chance for those, not just your regular attack.

Administrator
Sierra Starsong on Apr 5, 2013 wrote:
Speaking of Shadowdance, it seems to be counting the round you use it as the first of your three turns. That doesn't seem very fair to me.

Since it only improves your own Critical chances (not your allies) and you can't use Shadowdance and attack in the same turn, you're really only getting two useable rounds of increased criticals instead of three.

I would like to see Shadowdance extended for four rounds rather than three - the first round to use the power, followed by a full three rounds of boosted attacks before it wears off.
Ratbeard had mention the duration was working as intended on another thread that you may want to check out.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
Jan 03, 2013
I think I know now why this skill seems to be useless to my character... it assumes that if I get attacked my counter attacks have a higher chance of being 'critical'. However, my character is a swashbuckler and I have 'calm' so enemies tend to attack others before me. Therefore, after 3 turns I still have not triggered anything useful from 'shadow dance'.

Developer
del reo rebel on Apr 13, 2013 wrote:
I think I know now why this skill seems to be useless to my character... it assumes that if I get attacked my counter attacks have a higher chance of being 'critical'. However, my character is a swashbuckler and I have 'calm' so enemies tend to attack others before me. Therefore, after 3 turns I still have not triggered anything useful from 'shadow dance'.
Gallant Defense

Ensign
Jan 03, 2013
But that means using 2 turns to get anything useful from this skill! For the 'maybe' possibility of getting 1 or 2 big hits... doesn't seem very efficient to me...

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
Sierra Starsong on Apr 5, 2013 wrote:

Hey Starsong,

Yeah I see what you mean, but keep in mind that Shadow dances working on that turn still affects First Strike X3 and Riposte. Therefore, if you are addressed on that turn, you still get some usage. I have been address like that one time in a pvp by a buccaneer and epic first struck 3 times, and then epic riposted, one more hit and the bucc would have timbered XD