Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Defeat 6 ships, not 12

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 06, 2011
Anyone else think they should lower the amount of ships you should have to face? After 6 of them, it gets really tiring. Maybe only one or two of these quests seems ok, but there are more than a few of these quests

Community Leader
katniss everdeen on Mar 4, 2013 wrote:
Anyone else think they should lower the amount of ships you should have to face? After 6 of them, it gets really tiring. Maybe only one or two of these quests seems ok, but there are more than a few of these quests
You need to build your nautical level as you quest along.

Ship battles are part of pirating.

Actually, they should give MORE ship battles, to help facilitate players nautical level alongside their regular pirate level.

Its also one of the best ways to obtain gold.

Note: If your being boarded, or are boarding the ships, this might be part of a player frustration, I recommend NEVER boarding, the tutorials indicating your chances are better when boarding are misleading.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I do think they should increase the nautical xp given during these quests and given after fighting any ships.
Compared to the classes xp given after quests, the nautical xp is way too low

Ensign
Feb 24, 2013
I agree. The fact that you are required to kill 12 of them is indicative that the exp is too low.

But the over-arching problem is that ship combat is boring. Easiest fix would be too reduce the cool downs on both sides. Playing whack-a-mole is always boring. Playing whack-a-mole with really, really slow moles is worse.

Ensign
Aug 26, 2012
More ship battle, more nautical XP.

Community Leader
CdeWinter on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
I do think they should increase the nautical xp given during these quests and given after fighting any ships.
Compared to the classes xp given after quests, the nautical xp is way too low
Perhaps they could give more nautical XP for quests, but I personally feel the XP for ships is adequate.

Seems there are two types of pirates when it comes to ship battles.

Those that dont like ship battles, wanting their questing to be sufficient.

Those that like ship battles, and see it as another activity in the game to pursue and excel at.

I like the Nautical XP distribution personally. When my pirates are maxed I still have something to do, work on leveling my nautical.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Oct 19, 2012
I strongly agree that the amount should be 12 or even more!

Because, I am level 41 and my nortical level is only 29.

So I think it should be 12 or higher to keep levels even between pirate level and nortical level.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Mar 7, 2013 wrote:
Perhaps they could give more nautical XP for quests, but I personally feel the XP for ships is adequate.

Seems there are two types of pirates when it comes to ship battles.

Those that dont like ship battles, wanting their questing to be sufficient.

Those that like ship battles, and see it as another activity in the game to pursue and excel at.

I like the Nautical XP distribution personally. When my pirates are maxed I still have something to do, work on leveling my nautical.
I do enjoy the ship quests. My nautical level is currently 49. It's just that when a nautical quest rewards me the xp equivelent of defeating two ships in Mooshu, I wish the quests could give out a bit more xp.

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
well yes 12 ships is too much but... we could do 8 thats enough right? yes it is fair who agrees with me and after six is not tireing 8 is when i gets tireing but you know what? i think 12 is good

Ensign
May 21, 2011
I think they should either give out more nautical xp for quests or give more quests that give nautical xp because nautical level pretty much always lags behind. It's probably just me though but I start getting bored and frustrated if I'm just sitting there grinding nautical levels but if I have a quest in my book that requires me to fight the same amount of ships I would have fought during my grinding anyway I don't feel quite as bored/annoyed/frustrated because I feel like I have a reason to be there. lol. I mean, gaining nautical levels is a reason to be there but idk, having a quest for it makes me feel like I have more of a purpose.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
i have to agree with the ones who said to increase nautical xp recieved but i think they should leave the amount of ship to defeat the same

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
I'm on a STORYLINE quest to defeat 12 Black Storm ships. If I can't defeat them, I'll never advance through the game!

Community Leader
Mark Laveer on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:
I'm on a STORYLINE quest to defeat 12 Black Storm ships. If I can't defeat them, I'll never advance through the game!
I'd suggest, if you can't get some friends to help, try playing in that area during a high traffic time of day (i.e. NOT 4am) and hope someone else is on that quest as well. If that isn't possible and you can't seem to defeat the ships in broadside, you could always defeat them in hand-to-hand. I would think of that as a last resort, though!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Talkin The Plank on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
I'd suggest, if you can't get some friends to help, try playing in that area during a high traffic time of day (i.e. NOT 4am) and hope someone else is on that quest as well. If that isn't possible and you can't seem to defeat the ships in broadside, you could always defeat them in hand-to-hand. I would think of that as a last resort, though!
In addition to busier times of day - weekday afternoons or weekend evenings especially - you might also try going to the busiest Realm your computer can handle. Under Options, go to the Globe tab to change Realms; Avery is almost always crowded. The more crowded it is, the more likely other pirates will be hunting the same ships you are and you can work together.

To join a ship-to-ship fight in progress, click on the enemy ship to target it, or you can use the square bracket keys [ ] to switch among all targets in the area until you lock onto the right one.

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
I don't think that either the NXP or the number of ships need to be changed.

Maybe instead, instead of/as well as normal XP, on quests where you have to fight ships, those quests could award Nautical Experience.
Thoughts?

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Mar 4, 2013 wrote:
You need to build your nautical level as you quest along.

Ship battles are part of pirating.

Actually, they should give MORE ship battles, to help facilitate players nautical level alongside their regular pirate level.

Its also one of the best ways to obtain gold.

Note: If your being boarded, or are boarding the ships, this might be part of a player frustration, I recommend NEVER boarding, the tutorials indicating your chances are better when boarding are misleading.
I agree I'm in Aquilla and my Nat level is only 32!

Petty Officer
Apr 11, 2013