Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fixing the "useless" Epics

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 15, 2011
Return Fire, Witch Hunter, and Hold the Line are epics many consider "useless". It's true they don't do much, but I have a way we can fix these epics to make them better.

Return Fire:
This usually returns a shot if a musketeer misses, which rarely ever happens.
How to fix it:
Instead of having it return when a musketeer misses, have it return when a musketeer activates Burst Fire. So it would go something like this:
Enemy hits YourCompanion
Enemy gets Burst Fire
YourCompanion Returns Fire

Witch Hunter:
A First Strike for witchdoctors, allows someone to attack before an enemy or other player (if in PVP) uses a magic attack. It does a bit more damage than a regular attack.
How to fix it:
Whenever a witchdoctor attacks in general, the companion/player gets a "first strike". It would go like this:
Witchdoctor is about to attack YourCompanion
YourCompanion strikes first

Hold the Line:
This "immobilizes" the enemy, not allowing them to pass by your companion.
How to fix it:
If the enemy is in a "square" around your companion, the enemy can't attack for four turns. It would go like this:
Enemy walks in front of YourCompanion
Enemy is immobilized
Enemy cannot attack for four turns

I hope this will be taken into consideration, and be added to the game. If there's any problem with these "fixes", feel free to tell me!

Ruthless Rebecca Radcliffe

Ensign
Sep 14, 2011
maybe instead return fire should activate when the enemy hits not misses

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
Mastermind M on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:
Return Fire, Witch Hunter, and Hold the Line are epics many consider "useless". It's true they don't do much, but I have a way we can fix these epics to make them better.

Return Fire:
How to fix it:
Instead of having it return when a musketeer misses, have it return when a musketeer activates Burst Fire. So it would go something like this:
Enemy hits YourCompanion
Enemy gets Burst Fire

Witch Hunter:
A First Strike for witchdoctors, allows someone to attack before an enemy or other player (if in PVP) uses a magic attack. It does a bit more damage than a regular attack.
How to fix it:
Whenever a witchdoctor attacks in general, the companion/player gets a "first strike". It would go like this:

Hold the Line:
How to fix it:
If the enemy is in a "square" around your companion, the enemy can't attack for four turns. It would go like this:
Enemy is immobilized

I hope this will be taken into consideration, and be added to the game. If there's any problem with these "fixes", feel free to tell me!

Yes these would be better epics but remember the enemy will have them too.
Quiet Zachary Armstrong

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
rubyman356 on Feb 18, 2013 wrote:
There is already True Grit for that .

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
rubyman356 on Feb 18, 2013 wrote:
True grit already does that
Quiet Zachary Armstrong

Bosun
May 06, 2009
Mastermind M on Feb 17, 2013 wrote:

Return Fire:
How to fix it:
Enemy hits YourCompanion
Enemy gets Burst Fire

Witch Hunter:
How to fix it:

Hold the Line:
How to fix it:
Enemy is immobilized

I can't agree on a lot of these fixes at all, but i like your willingness to help and do something different.

Honestly, no epic is truely useless. That's just want some Pirates have the mindset of in this community. They all work fine and have their uses. Some may get used more than others. It's just how it is.

You're change for Witch Hunter is exactly what Witch Hunter does. Witch Hunter can be used on Melee classes (mostly Privateers) and Witch Doctors. If your melee Companion is right next to a Witch Doctor that is about to attack him/her, he/she will get the first strike just like Witch Doctors do at range of each other.

With the Return Fire change, you're limiting Return Fire's use because, now, it will only work if a Musketeer has Burst Fire and not all Musketeers do. It's fine as is. On the off chance a Musketeer does dodge and get to use Return Fire is fine. It helps when it does. Also you made is sound more like a limited True Grit.

Hold the Line works best when you're trying to attack someone behind, past, or around a person with Hold the Line. You've sort of turned Hold the Line into an overpowered Stun and Stuns have yet to be introduced to the game (most likely Witchdoctors, Privateers, and Buccaneers will have stuns if brought at all) It think currently it is fine and another Power can cause an enemy to be stunned or unable to attack for 1-3 turns.

Cunning Finnigan Sharp
Level 17 Swashbuckler