Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

crown shop companions. only one attack?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 29, 2010
i just got sergent shepard and S.M. arson from the crown shop. i got them both to their final promotion but they still have only the basic attack and their criticals. is this a glitch?

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Hello Frosty35839.

I don't think it is a glitch. I had bought quite a few of crown shop companions, including the starter companions from the other classes. They are all at least level 47, and at least a third of my companions (on the bottom of the list, of course) do not have any abilities at all.

The supers (my top companions) all have at least their critical ability, plus maybe another 1 or 2 abilities on top of that. My normals (my in-the-middle companions) don't have any abilities either, but just epics that can make them very powerful.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
I wondered about that. There isn't much of an incentive for crown companions if they are "underpowered" compared to companions you get playing normally.

KI has always maintained that crown items "help" or give you an advantage in the game, but I don't see why I should spend more "real" money on crown companions when my in-game companions already have 4 or 5 epic talents and the one crown companion I purchased started with one. And at his promotion at level 30 (yeah, had to wait that long) only got 1 more for a grand total of 2! My Ratbeard at level 29 has 5 and he was FREE, lol.

I haven't brought another crown companion since and don't plan on buying anymore until there is a real incentive to buying them.

Community Leader
On the one hand, you'd like the companions you pay for to be powerful. On the other hand, you'd like buying them to be a choice and not a necessity. If they were more powerful than the companions you got in the game, players would have to spend even more money to keep up. I like that the option is there to buy companions you think are cool, but I don't want to be forced to buy a companion I don't like because they are just too powerful to not have on my team, where I am at a dissadvantage if I fail to purchase them.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
I do believe that the crownshop companions work the same as their "ingame" counterparts.

Most are obtainable at one point in the game depending on pirate class, and sidequests that are pursued/finished.
A "counterpart" for each seems to be made available at the same time so others that do not get/have such a companion could purchase one if they wish. And theoretically, this "counterpart" would have the same abilities as the regular in game version to maintain balance.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
Talkin The Plank on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
On the one hand, you'd like the companions you pay for to be powerful. On the other hand, you'd like buying them to be a choice and not a necessity. If they were more powerful than the companions you got in the game, players would have to spend even more money to keep up. I like that the option is there to buy companions you think are cool, but I don't want to be forced to buy a companion I don't like because they are just too powerful to not have on my team, where I am at a dissadvantage if I fail to purchase them.
Sorry, didn't mean to be misunderstood. I was saying they should be more powerful, but only that they are lacking in anything that makes them, to me at least, worth spending extra money on.

Maybe a crown specific Epic Talent could be added?

It doesn't have to be a "game breaker," but it should be something that makes them worth spending the extra money on.

But I am also very happy with my in - game companions, so it's not a necessity for me.