Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pop culture reference No. 1

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 21, 2009
I was listening to some Queen today and I realized "The Ode to Bright Eagilles" is a big reference to "We Are The Champions".

"... And bad mistakes... He's made a few. But the simple truth is if he's on your side, then you'll never lose! Go Eagilles, go fight on! And on! And on! And oooon! Eagilles is Champion, my friend! We hope he'll keep on fighting, 'till the end! Eagilles is Champion, he is our Champion! Sure he's got hubris, but he is the Champion... What a bird!"

I got to say, when I first read that I thought the wording sounded a little off, especially since they all have this monotone voice while singing it. Now it all makes sense! Well played KI writers, well played indeed.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2012
I was doing Bonnie Anne's promotion quest and when we were looking for the barrels that could explode when rat beard said "Fish sticks and custard. Who eats that?" I laughed so hard. If anyone reading this post has watched the first episode in season five of "Doctor Who" when he asked the kid to make him something he hated the apple, the bacon, and other stuff there was only one thing he loved which was fish sticks and custard.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I did a search and did not get a hit on these so maybe they are spelled differently so if this is a duplication then sorry.

The Snail & Newt Tavern: Jimmy Stuart - Jimmy Stewart, Academy Award winning actor & Felix the Cat - Late 50's cartoon TV series.

Ensign
Aug 02, 2013
I do recall someone earlier on in the game with a last name of Eastwood. I don't remember the first name, can anyone refresh my memory?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
BigLollipop002 on Aug 27, 2013 wrote:
I do recall someone earlier on in the game with a last name of Eastwood. I don't remember the first name, can anyone refresh my memory?
I remember seeing Flint Eastwood which has to be a nod to actor Clint Eastwood, but I cannot remember just where I saw him. I tried looking on Central but no hits, so hearsay will have to do lol.

Ensign
Aug 02, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 28, 2013 wrote:
I remember seeing Flint Eastwood which has to be a nod to actor Clint Eastwood, but I cannot remember just where I saw him. I tried looking on Central but no hits, so hearsay will have to do lol.
Haha, that's him. I lol'd so hard. My guess is he was in Cool Ranch in Cooper's Roost somewhere, but I can't be sure.

Ensign
Aug 02, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 28, 2013 wrote:
A chicken sheriff! That's what he is! He's a chicken sheriff!

That feels like 10 pounds off my shoulder for some reason. Lol

Brave Griffin Nightingale, Level 24

Ensign
Sep 03, 2009
A really obvious one is in marleybone where you have to get potatoes from wharf rat ships for a vendor to make chips. After you get them ratbeard says "You know in Skull island we call chips Polaris fries, though in Polaris they are just called fries"

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
seriously nobody recognizes Tyson is like mike tyson yakooza is another one based off of the Japanese fighting clan yakuza

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Well, I was at an art museum yesterday, and the person who showed us around said DONKEY HOTAY. Or something like that. It instanly reminded me of p101.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
pirate101 lover on Nov 16, 2013 wrote:
Well, I was at an art museum yesterday, and the person who showed us around said DONKEY HOTAY. Or something like that. It instanly reminded me of p101.
Lol I am sure they were talking about Don Quixote, the early 17th century novel by Miguel de Cervantes that his been made into the Opera and Film Man of La Mancha
That Is the source of the Pun character Donkey Hotay. It is fun with the real world blends in with our game fun.

Ensign
Jul 05, 2012
Just noticed a dapper Marleybonian named Louie Mutton, sounds a little like that famous fashion designer, eh?

Ensign
Oct 10, 2009
And Another Thing... The Boss ship in Marleybone is called the Hart of Gold, leaving me very disappointed when Zaphod, Arthur, Trillian, and Ford Prefect didn't show up when I boarded it. I previously had thought that situation Infinitely Improbable, and my bowl of petunias immediately jumped ship.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
the Rosetta Stone was the artifact that helped break the enigma that was the hieroglyphs Ffound in the city of (you guessed it) Rosetta. By the way Kingsisle, I am going on a limb here, but did the idea of Aquillan Linear A & B come from the tablets found in Knossos on Crete that were given the same name by Sir Arthur Evans? If so, could you please tell me? If not, don't.

As for other references, I really loved the Oliver Twist and Bah Humbug quests. Ratbeard was a wee bit funny when doing good deeds and I didn't realize that I was doing Oliver Twist until the end when I ran into the Pickpoket's house (I also love Bonnie's line before we left the Shipyard building we raided).
I am also really impressed with the Guy Faux reference in Bonnie's promotion. They were even able to throw in the Gun Powder Scandal that immortalized his name when he almost destroyed Parlament (or the Foundry).

Well done

Ensign
Jun 18, 2013
I loved the 'Big Trouble in Little China" references, a cult classic that my family watched many times when I was young. Excellently done KI.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
There is a chicken in prison in Hamamitsu Garden called Kung Pao so that is another play on words

Ensign
Nov 07, 2012
The quest Them Rats of Nim is a nod to the book The Rats of Nimh , obviously Hawkules was a Hercules, Ratbeard or Catbeard could be a Blackbeard nod...that's all off the top of my head.

from a