Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pop culture reference No. 1

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
Elemutation on Jun 20, 2013 wrote:
There are more correlations than just the turtle balls. Cao Tzu is Kind of Like Kame, the Dragon Ball's creator. not to mention that the for shrines are Like the Villages on Namek that holds the Namekian Dragon balls. And Wing Chung's Mega critical has what looks like a Kamehameha wave at the end.

I am a DBZ expert/Super fan. I will post any more if I find them.
I think you may be getting a case of pareidolia (i.e. seeing a real meaningful connection when it happens to be coincidence) there.

So, a few more, now that I've gotten a bit further.

Guy Fox was both a historical and pop-culture reference (and I'll be frank, I had the 1812 Overture playing in the background during his storyline).

There was also that one line either in the Fire Temple or during the Dragon Prince quest (I don't recall which), which began "I've seen things you pirates wouldn't believe..." The famous Blade Runner quote. I kind of have to say -- it felt a little shoehorned; I was hoping for it to be the final words of one of the head Clockworks, but ah well.

Also, Eagilles. "I'll be back." "GET TO DA PALACE!!" I swear, he's my favorite character now.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
CdeWinter on Nov 13, 2012 wrote:
My favourite so far the Monty Python reference during Gespard's fist promotion quest. "Nobody expects the Monquisition!"
I love that line!!!! It was based on the Spanish Inquisition routine from Monty Python's Flying Circus. In the routine it was"Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Ensign
Jul 10, 2009
RiverWhooshP101 on Mar 3, 2013 wrote:
I have no idea why nobody guessed this, but skull island is like the carribean and america. Since Marleybone is obviously England, it has a claimed area there. Same with Monquista being Spain. Also, the Monquistition (or Cool Ranch) obviously is Mexico. Since the Monquisition is fighting against the king and queen, you can see why I think they represent Mexico. But Cool Ranch also represents how Mexico Looked back then.

Sincerely,
Esperenza Drighton Level 23 Swashbuckler
I think you're right about SI and MB, but (I'm pretty sure) the the Monqustion is a play off the Spanish Inquisition.

It's pretty funny if you translate some of the names of the Red Scarf Ships in Cool Ranch. Like I've seen a Queso de la Sol (Cheese of the sun) and Queso de la Gato (Cheese of the Cat).

There's also a quest called Barrels of Monqustans (like barrels of monkeys(Which might also be a reference to The Hobbit))

Also has anyone else notice that Cool Ranch is like Cool Ranch Doritos?

And ... Mooshu isn't that a Chinese dish called mushu?

See now I'm wondering where I can get food called Skull Island

Ivette Xavier, Witchdoctor (25)

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I landed on a dock in Marleybone and saw Sgt. Benton, one of Doctor Who's friends from the third doctor's U.N.I.T. days and had to laugh.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
TackUpwind on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:
Has no one gotten the Yum-Yum fruit yet?
I'm 98% sure that it is based off of Luffy's devil fruit in the anime One Peice, the Gum-Gum fruit.
I'm kinda surprised there aren't more One Peice references, but I loved the DBZ in Subata.
My favorite line so far is after se collect the second or third turtle ball and the Monkey King says, "Gotta catch 'em all!" like in Pokemon.
Oh, and the governer of Port Regal and his daughter, Mable remind me alot of Govener Swann and Elizabeth from Pirates of the Caribbean.
-Fair Charlotte Firth, level 53 Musketeer
Actually, the Governor and his daughter are based off of Major General Stanley and Mabel from the Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan. While on the subject, I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned the odvious Gilbert and Sullivan characters in Savoy Merchentiel. Sullivan even quotes songs from their own plays!

Impish Omar Undrewood

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Might the fact that group heals have blue birds be related to the "blue bird of happiness"?

Ensign
Nov 28, 2008
zenkidkailen on Nov 13, 2012 wrote:
Most of the ones that hit me are in Cool Ranch and some in Mooshu, for instance Josey Quails referring to the Clint Eastwood movie 'The Outlaw Josie Wales'. The duck with no name, The man with no name was another Eastwood character. Libirdy Valence, from a really old western, 'The man who shot Liberty Valence',
The Free Ranger and Tonka, obviously the Lone Ranger and Tonto. Nathen Birdette, refers to the bad guy in a John Wayne movie, El Toro is obviously Zorro.
in Mooshu Motimori is an obvious reference to Iron Chef Morimoto
I do kind of wish that they'd added Calamity to Jane Canary's name, and of course I'd be surprised if anyone missed Bonnie Anne being a reference to the pirate Anne Bonney.

There are a lot more that have made me laugh, but I think I've sucked up enough space here for now.
I really hope that Bonnie an reference is true. If it isn't then there better be a reference to Bonnie and Clyde coming soon. Haha

Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
When you first get to Port Regal the governer says "You're quite the adventurer, eh? Never took ship myself - it was Her Majesty's army for me, where I was the very model of a modern Major General". (It's a song)

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
If we're just talking about funny things that we notice in pirate101, I love how in cool ranch there are enemies called Banditoads: my poor friend had to witness me crack up for several minutes before I took a deep breath and she cut in to say "What's so funny?" (She doesn't speak spanish. XD)

Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
Another one I found. After you bust Napoleguin out of prison and bring him back to Catbeard, Catbeard says "I love it when a plan comes together." That is what Hannibal Smith from the A-Team almost always said in the TV series.

Ensign
Jul 05, 2012
awesomepenguin1234... on Jul 24, 2013 wrote:
When you first get to Port Regal the governer says "You're quite the adventurer, eh? Never took ship myself - it was Her Majesty's army for me, where I was the very model of a modern Major General". (It's a song)
Yeah, It's from Gilbert and Sullinvan's Pirates of Penzance. I love that song! Also in port royal you meet a man called Mr. Lytton, right? Henry Lytton is one of the actors who played the Major General!
-Fair Charlotte Firth, Level 65 Musketeer

Ensign
Jul 05, 2012
Eagilles=Terminator
"Tell Mighty Eglamamnon: I'll be back."
At first I was just scratching my head as to why a Greek guy had a German accent.

Ensign
Jan 28, 2009
Well, I was looking around the sewer of Marleybone, and I found a certain fellow called Crokogator Dundee - A parody of the Crocodile Dundee movie.

Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
I was helping a friend create a pirate and they had just just finished fighting the battle angels when Deacon brought out the other robots and said "Don't make me destroy you". Didn't Darth Vader say that?

Ensign
Nov 20, 2012
Madame Esmerelda, mustang gypsy
Madame Esmerelda gypsie woman from the hunch-back of Notre-Dame

Ensign
Nov 20, 2012
Battle at boot hill
Battle at bunker hill

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
oooooh marshal dillion is a great one and the magnificent 7 are also good and the villians during roosters quest

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2009
Recora D on Aug 6, 2013 wrote:
Battle at boot hill
Battle at bunker hill
I believe Boot Hill is a reference to an old western story, not the American Revolution.

Some more Doctor Who references- the barrel of fish fingers and custard and Captain Harkness
Also, Ratbeard's third promotion is based off A Christmas Carol
There is an side quest in MB based on Oliver Twist

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Jonah Town-
Of course, the bible story was funny, but did anybody notice the one about Captain Ahab? if you remember, he was(I think)from Jaws.

El Toro was clearly Zorro, as well as The Free Ranger and Tonka obviously being The Lone Ranger and Tonto.
The Monkey's Paw was like the Indiana Jones movie The Last Crusade, when you had to pick the Paw it was like picking the chalice.
Napoleguin and Napoleon, the Beard trio(Boochbeard, Catbeard and Ratbeard) all related to Blackbeard.

I think I took up enough space already, so, Ciao!

Sneaky Cyrus Quarter, the of a lifetime.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
Nurse Quinn, Medicine Chicken (I think) is based on an old show called: "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman".

Rachel - Level 41

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Swashy0716 on Aug 6, 2013 wrote:
Jonah Town-
Of course, the bible story was funny, but did anybody notice the one about Captain Ahab? if you remember, he was(I think)from Jaws.

El Toro was clearly Zorro, as well as The Free Ranger and Tonka obviously being The Lone Ranger and Tonto.
The Monkey's Paw was like the Indiana Jones movie The Last Crusade, when you had to pick the Paw it was like picking the chalice.
Napoleguin and Napoleon, the Beard trio(Boochbeard, Catbeard and Ratbeard) all related to Blackbeard.

I think I took up enough space already, so, Ciao!

Sneaky Cyrus Quarter, the of a lifetime.
I might be wrong I have not read Moby Dick in a long time but I'm pretty sure Captain Ahab is a reference to that novel. The Captain Ahab was the whaler captain who became obsessed with capturing and killing the Great White Whale - Moby Dick.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Elemutation on Jun 7, 2013 wrote:
The entire Ithica story is a parody of the Greek mythology story, "The Odyssey", with Ulysses portraying Odysseus. When Odysseus returns home from his long journey he finds that he is presumed dead and that suitors are swarming his wife. soon enough, Odysseus charges his palace, and along with the aid of his son, kills the suitors, and retakes his home. and Laestrygon, sirens, and Scylla were all roadblocks on Odysseus's way home.
Ulysses was the Roman name for Odysseus, or that's wrong then Odysseus is the Roman name for Ulysses, either way both names have always referred to the same hero.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
CdeWinter on Aug 7, 2013 wrote:
I might be wrong I have not read Moby Dick in a long time but I'm pretty sure Captain Ahab is a reference to that novel. The Captain Ahab was the whaler captain who became obsessed with capturing and killing the Great White Whale - Moby Dick.
Yeah, my memory just blew me. It was Moby Dick, not Jaws. Sorry for everyone I confused(if I confused anyone at all).

Ensign
Nov 09, 2012
Was in Marleybone and one of the fox radicals' random names was David Tennant, the Tenth Doctor's actor.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
popsfootloose949 on Mar 1, 2013 wrote:
Charlie Keaton and Buster Chaplin are two wharf rats you fight in a quest. They are parodies of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton, silent film stars.
Just afterwards we meet Maurel and Marty / Laurel and Hardy.

In Moosho we also meet Tommy Shaw and JY Young, two members of the rock band Styx, who have some lyrics quoted as well.