Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How to be better at broadside combat?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 22, 2012
I am in monquista and I am on a quest that requires me to battle enemy ships for supplies. Problem is every time I try to battle them, I stand no chance and am immediately overpowered.

I have not done any side quests in Skull Island but I plan on doing them. Will side quests help me? Or should I buy a new pirate ship or ship equipment with crowns?

I am absolutely desperate. Thank you!

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
Fearless Cole Arms... on Oct 13, 2012 wrote:
I am in monquista and I am on a quest that requires me to battle enemy ships for supplies. Problem is every time I try to battle them, I stand no chance and am immediately overpowered.

I have not done any side quests in Skull Island but I plan on doing them. Will side quests help me? Or should I buy a new pirate ship or ship equipment with crowns?

I am absolutely desperate. Thank you!
The first thing I need to ask you is, which ship are you currently using? If you are using your parent's skiff, then you may need to search out a parts vendor (Gullet) for armor and cannons, and horns that will equip to that ship and make it a bit stronger. Also check your ship equipment section for any drops you may have gotten that will improve your ship stats. The same holds true for the frigate and the galleon. If you can find an enemy ship all by itself it will make the battle a little easier (so the enemy doesn't gang up on you). You can always board the enemy ship (when its health is yellow) and try hand-to-hand combat. One last thought, if you have any friends available to fight with you in broadside it will really make the battles much easier.

Happy sailing!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
Aye matey!

What type of ship do you have now? Did you get the free Monquista Skiff from Scurvy Dog Hideout quests?

Pirate Raft - definitely not going to get you through Monquista
Pirate Skiff - (parent skiff you received at Jonah Town) will get you through most if not all of Skull Island quests (Tradewinds, Flotsam). This ship will not get very far in Monquista, as it is inadequate
Pirate Frigate - This ship will get you through Monquista without too much difficulty in ship battles
Pirate Galleon - No problem at all

Monquista Skiff - received after Scurvy Dog Hideout quests. Will definitely get you through Monquista, but will start to have difficulty in Cool Ranch, once you get there

There are more types and better ships, but these are the ones you can receive free (both types of skiffs), or you can purchase the frigate with coins or crowns, at the level you seem to be.

If you don't have the Monquista Skiff yet, you might look into purchasing with coins, the Pirate Frigate (or Pirate Galleon, but it's more expensive).

When looking at defeating certain types of enemy ships you need for quests, be sure to try for one that is furthest from the others, so you have a lesser chance of other enemy ships joining in the battle.

Be sure to keep your ship equipment updated. Either purchasing with coins at the Ship Parts Vendors, the crown ship, or by doing ship battles for drops (be sure to pick up the debris after you win the battle!)

Side quests will help you in the game. Not only with leveling up, but many side quests also give Nautical points and coins, which are necessary to help you improve. Nautical level is very important. This helps you equip better stuff for your ship, and to be able to purchase better ships. Many require you need to be at a certain Nautical level to use them.

If you are trying to solo the ship battles, I certainly feel for you. It's tough. It takes practice and a bit of tactical strategy to make it work for you. When in doubt, have friends help!

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
If you are doing the side quests, you will have more than enough gold to purchase other ships and equipment without using Crowns. That said, the ships bought with Crowns do seem to have better stats (compare for yourself and see). I have not used Crowns to buy any ships and I own a Raft (supplied and equipped), a Skiff (my parents - I equipped it) and a Pirate Galleon (purchased with Gold and equipped). I still have over 15,000 in gold left. I am currently a level 16 Privateer. Most of my Crew are level 14. I only needed to buy 2 or 3 training points at the beginning of the game. The reason I bought and equipped the Galleon is because, like you, I was continually being destroyed in Monquista. Sell the equipment you don't need, complete most if not all of the side quests, and you will have plenty of Gold.