Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

el toro is overpowered, same with some other ones

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
yep, when you make him level 65 with all epics and talents and stuff he is so overpowered
every round theres a 75% chanse for him to super attack without telling him to.
im not telling p101 staff to nerf el toro im just saying its pretty overpowered, this will probably be useful once book 15 comes out

same with milo graytail, lvl 65, use super attack = like 775 damage wow

milo doesnt look weak im just adding him in because he came in skull island thats why
i just think it this way
skull island companions = weakest
aquila = strongest

but now i realize its not that way at all :P

is there anyone who experienced this right now or long ago?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
theprivateer12345 on Apr 25, 2016 wrote:
yep, when you make him level 65 with all epics and talents and stuff he is so overpowered
every round theres a 75% chanse for him to super attack without telling him to.
im not telling p101 staff to nerf el toro im just saying its pretty overpowered, this will probably be useful once book 15 comes out

same with milo graytail, lvl 65, use super attack = like 775 damage wow

milo doesnt look weak im just adding him in because he came in skull island thats why
i just think it this way
skull island companions = weakest
aquila = strongest

but now i realize its not that way at all :P

is there anyone who experienced this right now or long ago?
The recent companion upgrade has been a wonderful asset to the game; but for me, El Toro seems lacking, he can be absolutely awesome with critical chains and then he misses a simple attack - it's so random!

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
sometimes he doesnt do often superattacks but i made his dodgy skill very effective
honestly i think its just luck

Petty Officer
Jun 19, 2014
El Toro is pretty boss i have to admit, and so is Milo (i'm still using him in aquila on my witch) as a witch i have gotten a lot of swashes. some are better than el toro, some aren't. Kan Po is WAY better than el toro, so is shiruku niku the cat ninja.

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
Really? I can one shot el toro with assassins strike and walk in darkness. Plus, with all of the attacks he attracts, I think he's fine.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
No, I don't think el Toro is overpowered at all. Speaking as a person with several level 65 'el Toros' (on different characters, of course),yes, he is terrific, a great companion, one of the best... but certainly not ideal for every battle. As Ratbeard the Developer would say, like all swashbucklers, he's something of a 'glass cannon'. For instance, I have learned not to bring him into the 'nefarious 5' fight in Moo Manchu's tower. For me, in The Tower, he's much more important to have in other fights (I like him in 'the evil pets' floor and often in the final battle).

But that is the point of having a large pool of companions, after all: find out their strengths and weaknesses and deploy them accordingly.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
I'd strongly agree with the premise of this, but not really the example. There ARE a lot of companions that are simply irrelevant towards the endgame. Non-arc related companions are often used for only a few hours in PvE before they become irrelevant again. I'd love to see a little more variance to people's crews, but the only way to do that would be to make our side-companions more viable for regular use.

For Example: How often do you see someone use Shiruko Neko? not often, because why would anyone use a unit that not only has less powers than other units, but also less abilities and talents?

companion imbalance is a minor thing in the long run (It doesn't really negatively impact the game), and it is probably impossible to 100% eradicate, but I do feel it should still be addressed at some point.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
I'd strongly agree with the premise of this, but not really the example. There ARE a lot of companions that are simply irrelevant towards the endgame. Non-arc related companions are often used for only a few hours in PvE before they become irrelevant again. I'd love to see a little more variance to people's crews, but the only way to do that would be to make our side-companions more viable for regular use.

For Example: How often do you see someone use Shiruko Neko? not often, because why would anyone use a unit that not only has less powers than other units, but also less abilities and talents?

companion imbalance is a minor thing in the long run (It doesn't really negatively impact the game), and it is probably impossible to 100% eradicate, but I do feel it should still be addressed at some point.
I see Shiruku used in the Tower often. There are several fights where she works well - the Corrupted animals and the Corrupted samoorai, I've seen some use her in the Nef-5 fight!

Ensign
Aug 27, 2012
With the new updates, especially the companion updates where every companion gets a selection of three epic talents when they reach certain levels(I know you get one at level 55 but I forget what the other levels are) along with however many epic talents they get from promotions. This was meant to level the playing field for companions such as Hawkules, assuming you aren't max level when you recruit(?) him, and he doesn't end up being plus max(level 66-67, or even level 68) and a Skull Island, Monquista, or Cool Ranch buccaneer companion that you level up with Training Tomes. Of course your starter companions who have two or three promotions, where the first promotion gets a selection of two epic talents and then one for each promotion after, so you have an opportunity to get seven epic talents or perhaps even more(I'm sure there're some things, on some companions that I have overlooked). So your starter companions will always have be better then the higher level quest reward companions(assuming they're the same level), so if you ask me the quest reward companions are good while they're a higher level then your pirate and your companions, and can be a welcome break from seeing your main companions attacks again and again but all in all they're just placeholders, until you can level up your pirate and his companions.

Thanks for listening,

Lvl 65

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
about all people not agreeing sorry i didnt put it in but...

i meant for a (privateer)
'cause privy's are most of the time weak

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
I seem too be the only person who doesn't like El Toro...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
theprivateer12345 on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
about all people not agreeing sorry i didnt put it in but...

i meant for a (privateer)
'cause privy's are most of the time weak
In a direct 1 on 1 fight the Privateer is seen as weak, because their class is lacking in personal attacks. However, when surrounded by their companions, Privateers are quite powerful, because of the ability to buff, shield, and heal their companions. So think of your companions as your weapons.

Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
anecorbie on Apr 25, 2016 wrote:
The recent companion upgrade has been a wonderful asset to the game; but for me, El Toro seems lacking, he can be absolutely awesome with critical chains and then he misses a simple attack - it's so random!
I agree. Personally, I stick with my more consistent companions. Sarah Steele (way overpowered) and Fan Flanders (as good as Sarah) are two great companions for kicking Manchu butt. You wanna talk about overpowered, Mr. Privateer? 1600 damage super hits from Fan and Sarah, plus blade storm and relentless 2(only Fan has relentless 2, but you get my point ). Sure, there are definitely other desirable aspects for a good companion ( Fan and Sarah are frequent fliers to the "spa"), but there are limits beyond your interpretation of "overpowered".

Lieutenant
Nov 11, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
In a direct 1 on 1 fight the Privateer is seen as weak, because their class is lacking in personal attacks. However, when surrounded by their companions, Privateers are quite powerful, because of the ability to buff, shield, and heal their companions. So think of your companions as your weapons.
exactly, thats my point :P. im just saying el toro is op thats it really

also thanks everyone for your nice suggestions

Ensign
Aug 27, 2012
For some reason Fan is the only class trainer companion(The Marchioness, Peter Quint, etc) I don't like. I love the ones for the other classes, yet I rarely, if ever use Fan. It might be because I was leveling up my swashbuckler when the updates came out and I had already fallen in love with Sara Steele, but to me they are nearly identical but I think that Sara looks cooler. I may just be stuck in the past and I may need to let go of Sara and give Fan another chance(just by chance the radio is playing "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" by Billy Joel and I think that's appropriate for this train of thought) but I don't know.

Till I get a ton of people arguing for how good they think Fan is and how I should give her a chance,
Thanks for Listening

Lvl 65

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
milo gt on Apr 26, 2016 wrote:
El Toro is pretty boss i have to admit, and so is Milo (i'm still using him in aquila on my witch) as a witch i have gotten a lot of swashes. some are better than el toro, some aren't. Kan Po is WAY better than el toro, so is shiruku niku the cat ninja.
I have to agree Kan Po rocks el toro, but with future promotions coming I'm sure we will see el toro promote book 15 and who knows if our mooshu 5 will promote?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FISH THIEF on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:
For some reason Fan is the only class trainer companion(The Marchioness, Peter Quint, etc) I don't like. I love the ones for the other classes, yet I rarely, if ever use Fan. It might be because I was leveling up my swashbuckler when the updates came out and I had already fallen in love with Sara Steele, but to me they are nearly identical but I think that Sara looks cooler. I may just be stuck in the past and I may need to let go of Sara and give Fan another chance(just by chance the radio is playing "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me" by Billy Joel and I think that's appropriate for this train of thought) but I don't know.

Till I get a ton of people arguing for how good they think Fan is and how I should give her a chance,
Thanks for Listening

Lvl 65
I do love my Mouse swashbuckler, she's been in my top tier since the beginning. Ok, FISH THIEF, reasons to use Fan:
1. Her agility buff - this increases damage for not only your swashy companions but also your musketeers.
2. She is quite the little monster when it comes to critical chains; with Fog and her buff she can take down enemies in a single round.
3. Like you, she has the Jump talent, very useful for getting onto ships when the way may be blocked ( sorry, but Sarah can't do that ).
4. She's actually faster and has a better range of movement than Sarah.
Give her a chance - use in combo with Sarah and see the damage roll in!

Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
In all fairness, Sarah Steele does have her own hide power while Fan is reliant on my pirate's black fog. She also takes 50% less damage from traps, which is really useful in PvP and regular battles. I think that Sarah and Fan are equals in how powerful they are. The only way I could describe the two of them in the same battle is bad news for the other team. As I've said before, thank goodness I'm a .

P.S. do you have an idea of when the test realms will be active?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Captain Blaze Hunt... on Apr 27, 2016 wrote:
In all fairness, Sarah Steele does have her own hide power while Fan is reliant on my pirate's black fog. She also takes 50% less damage from traps, which is really useful in PvP and regular battles. I think that Sarah and Fan are equals in how powerful they are. The only way I could describe the two of them in the same battle is bad news for the other team. As I've said before, thank goodness I'm a .

P.S. do you have an idea of when the test realms will be active?
In the KingsIsle Live broadcast, Tom commented that it wasn't finished and was still a work in progress. Also it was coming Summer 2016, the first day of summer is June 20 th. so that will possibly be the earliest date to expect a test realm, but it could be later.
Patience, Dragonfly, it will come.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
El Toro isn't even close to what he use to be when P101 first came out. He's been 'nerfed' quite a bit, actually.

Besides, you go through a LOT to finally get him as a companion, so he should be pretty awesome.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
BrynnerOfReign on Apr 29, 2016 wrote:
El Toro isn't even close to what he use to be when P101 first came out. He's been 'nerfed' quite a bit, actually.

Besides, you go through a LOT to finally get him as a companion, so he should be pretty awesome.
He hasn't been nerfed at all, we would have received notice if that were so.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
I honestly fail to see how Fan and Sarah are equal in power...

Fan has potentially 3 more attacks per turn (relentless)

Sarah's hide is often wasted because of her repel boarder.

On topic: I dont think Toro is op at all either, for reasons mentioned above.

All swashbucklers hit hard, but for a price: they die fast.

Ensign
Jul 29, 2009
Take away El Toro's dodge and he'll be dead within the turn.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 25, 2016 wrote:
It wasn't very recent.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
In my opinon, El Toro is just fine the way he is. Just give him alot of dodge, to activate his repose ability.

He was meant to be a powerful companion and in my opinon a multi attacker, along with Bonnie Anne and Goronado/Moo Shu Companion/Skull Karken Companion. It's a a great pvp team and useful to beat powerful boss like Deacon, Rook, Diskilios, Moo Manchu and Haku ( for low leveled characters ).