Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Old Scratch makes dungeons boring

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
4 people using Old Scratch... even the weakest buff that's double spell power for everyone for 10 turns, that's way too OP... Even a pet's rouse pretty much heals a companion to full.

Seriously, no challenge = utterly boring.

Please do something about it.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Oct 24, 2015 wrote:
4 people using Old Scratch... even the weakest buff that's double spell power for everyone for 10 turns, that's way too OP... Even a pet's rouse pretty much heals a companion to full.

Well, IDK, it's pretty amazing when it happens in the Tower and you cut down the run time to an hour
However, doing it that way more than a few times does get repetitive, but why should KI change Scratch's amazing buff simply because fights are now easy = boring?
You don't have to use Old Scratch.

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
If you think his buffs makes dungeons boring then just don't use his buffs. He still has Jobu's Breath and Cadaver's Chantry in terms of powers, so use those instead of his Mojo buffs.

Developer
Silver Angel on Oct 24, 2015 wrote:

Easy solution: Stop doing it.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
...can't you just not use him? and ask others not to?

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Dungeons are boring now anyway no matter what. Go in with a team so many epics trigger the enemy is dead before I get a turn.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
Easy solution: Stop doing it.
Exactly!

Patient - "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." Doctor - "Well, don't do that."

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Yeah, like they said...when it comes to dungeons, just give Scratchie the ol' scratch. And ask the others to scratch 'em as well. (although you can't 'control' what others choose or want to do)

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
You honestly think people will listen? In this "as fast as possible" new world? (thank to fast combat too)

Nobody is going to, besides it's not the only issue. I mean, two people can do tower in 30 minutes, are you really okay with that?

Any new dungeon you make in the future will be a breeze, you know that right?

Actually any current dungeon is a breeze as long as you dont solo, Regatta, Smuggler arena... his buffs pretty much ruin everything.

If its going to remain that way I might as well stop playing.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
I was kind of worried that the tower would become a *must have Scratch* scenario too which would get really old before long. But I have yet to see anyone make a big deal about using him. Just once, before going in, someone wanted to make sure we were all on board with a *Scratch run* but so far I've found some people use him every floor, some people use him on a few floors but most people don't use him at all.

It makes sense for people who are farming and want to get through as quickly as possible but they usually look for a group of like-minded folks anyway.

If you're experiencing a lot of Scratch only folks, I bet things will calm down after the novelty wears off.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
Silver Angel on Oct 26, 2015 wrote:
You honestly think people will listen? In this "as fast as possible" new world? (thank to fast combat too)

Nobody is going to, besides it's not the only issue. I mean, two people can do tower in 30 minutes, are you really okay with that?

Actually any current dungeon is a breeze as long as you dont solo, Regatta, Smuggler arena... his buffs pretty much ruin everything.

PLEASE stop encouraging them to change it back. Based on the replies to this thread, the majority of people benefited from this update and don't want to go back.

Oh by the way, about anything in the future being a breeze-- seriously? They can't just give the enemies better stats?

And would you really stop playing? This is like the best game ever bro (the best I've played) (and yes I do play Wizard101) (and no I don't play anything else)

Captain
Sep 19, 2012

why not just make a non-scratch run? like dont use team up just ask amongst your friends if anybody wants to make a leisurely run of moo? scratch is great if you severely time-constrained(as most are lately..holidays, test realm wiz, jobs, exams etc) but there are always a few (like me) that dont mind an occasional leisure and laugh run..not asking for a 6 hour tour of moo..if i want that i will solo it..but a fun 1 1/2 is fine by most as well :) dont feel down-hearted sir..ask around!

stormy jen silver

Developer

You DO realize this is a game designed for kids to be able to beat, right? It's like Babe Ruth complaining about all the home runs he's racking up in the tee-ball league.

Well, at any rate, I just spent about 30 seconds thinking about how "new content" might handle this disaster:

1) Mobs, bosses, or even entire battleboards with Purge/Drain Magic.

2) Some Charms to turn your buffed companions against you.

3) A reflection effect that turns spells back on the caster.

4) A "Mojo Burn" power that deals damage to the target based on the target's Spell Power. (You can almost guarantee this one...)

And on and on we could go-- but it's probably best not to spend too much time thinking about evil ways to challenge players. (Christmas is coming and Krampus is watching.)

In the short term, it's a problem that solves itself. If it's bothering you, stop using Old Scratch.

We don't let a heckler's veto prevent us from making cool new toys for other people to enjoy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ratbeard on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
You DO realize this is a game designed for kids to be able to beat, right? It's like Babe Ruth complaining about all the home runs he's racking up in the tee-ball league.

Well, at any rate, I just spent about 30 seconds thinking about how "new content" might handle this disaster:

4) A "Mojo Burn" power that deals damage to the target based on the target's Spell Power. (You can almost guarantee this one...)

And on and on we could go-- but it's probably best not to spend too much time thinking about evil ways to challenge players. (Christmas is coming and Krampus is watching.)

In the short term, it's a problem that solves itself. If it's bothering you, stop using Old Scratch.

We don't let a heckler's veto prevent us from making cool new toys for other people to enjoy.
Hehehe, I love it when you reveal your nefarious side, Ratbeard Bring it on, make us scream for mercy!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011

Well it doesn't bother me one bit. I like how Old Scratch got his new powers.

And you're right about not spending too much time thinking of way to challenge players. Best to move on forward.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014

You're saying not a single team of kid was able to beat the tower before? I doubt that.

These are good counter-measures, but none of them are actually in game, how many months will it take?

In the meantime the game is a bore to me, because doing dungeons in a team is what I enjoy the most.

I dont even use Scratch myself, as I said its impossible to convince others, because they're selfish. (same deal with fast combat, which already ruined half my fun)

@Jen: Current friend/non-guild system doesnt make that an easy task, its much easier to just go to sigil and team with random people... or you're saying I'm supposed to talk to all my friends one by one hoping there's 3 that would agree? That would take forever, besides I dont even have that many friends to begin with.
If I have 2 friends online at the same time it's a lot. Make more friends you say? Meh, I dont friend random people,
just those that actually talk and are nice, those are quite rare... and even then, its not guaranteed they'll accept my friend invitation.

@Andrew: If I dont have fun anymore, why should I keep playing?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
You're saying not a single team of kid was able to beat the tower before? I doubt that.

These are good counter-measures, but none of them are actually in game, how many months will it take?

In the meantime the game is a bore to me, because doing dungeons in a team is what I enjoy the most.

I dont even use Scratch myself, as I said its impossible to convince others, because they're selfish. (same deal with fast combat, which already ruined half my fun)

@Jen: Current friend/non-guild system doesnt make that an easy task, its much easier to just go to sigil and team with random people... or you're saying I'm supposed to talk to all my friends one by one hoping there's 3 that would agree? That would take forever, besides I dont even have that many friends to begin with.
If I have 2 friends online at the same time it's a lot. Make more friends you say? Meh, I dont friend random people,
just those that actually talk and are nice, those are quite rare... and even then, its not guaranteed they'll accept my friend invitation.

But they were having trouble with the length of the Tower. Very few were able to do the whole dungeon in an allotted time, there may be some parents who don't mind that their kids spend up to 6 hours on the computer, but I'm sure the majority only allows, at most, 2 hours a day. IMO, anything that can shorten the 'grind' of farming is welcome to me.
When I'm playing my WD in the tower, yeah, I'll use Old Scratch, but my other pirates can leave him behind. I've had a few players 'insist' that everyone use Scratch, but I ignore them or if they become persistent, I explain his buff doesn't help my buck, buckler or musket.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014

The real problem isn't Scratch here, why can't you do dungeons on your own? After taking a few minutes to analyze the situation, disregarding Moo, Regatta, and SA, why can't you do certain dungeons on your own? I mean, your so called "problem" is solved, you don't have to use Scratch and you get a leisurely stroll through each dungeon. Start depending on yourself, rather than others.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
anecorbie on Oct 27, 2015 wrote:
But they were having trouble with the length of the Tower. Very few were able to do the whole dungeon in an allotted time, there may be some parents who don't mind that their kids spend up to 6 hours on the computer, but I'm sure the majority only allows, at most, 2 hours a day. IMO, anything that can shorten the 'grind' of farming is welcome to me.
When I'm playing my WD in the tower, yeah, I'll use Old Scratch, but my other pirates can leave him behind. I've had a few players 'insist' that everyone use Scratch, but I ignore them or if they become persistent, I explain his buff doesn't help my buck, buckler or musket.
Wasnt fast combat enough to shorten the length?

And you just proved my point, nobody's going to listen or comply if you ask them not to use Scratch.

I can understand his buffs were needed for pvp, but for pve I think its overkill.

Ensign
Jun 23, 2012

OMG .... Wait ....... What?

"new content"? Ratty ol' boy, whatcha trying to tell us, hmm?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Silver Angel on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:

And you just proved my point, nobody's going to listen or comply if you ask them not to use Scratch.

I can understand his buffs were needed for pvp, but for pve I think its overkill.
1. I never ask anyone to use or not use a certain companion - this is being 'bossy' and players rightfully resent it. However if I'm asked ( as has happened frequently in the tower ) "What companion do you think I should use?" only then will I give a suggestion.
2. Not everyone is using fast combat because their computers seem to not be able to handle it. I never ask people to turn on fast combat for this reason.
I have a different take on the Scratch situation, last night I was playing my WD and Daring Diego ( otherwise known as Fearless Finnigan ) joined me also in our group was Corrupt Lucas Vries and Virtuous Dante Ramses . It was agreed that we all would use Old Scratch - and we had a blast! I was enjoying the damage I could do with a single Mojo Storm, we were all laughing and enjoying ourselves and there was no stopping us; 45 - 48 minutes for a complete run! Unheard of!

Lieutenant
Jun 29, 2011
To be honest, I haven't used Old Scratch since he was (one of) the worst companion in the game. Now, from this thread, it seems he's a bit higher in that respect and level. However, I will say that good ol' Ratbeard is right. If everybody's complaining about how easy things are, just remove your OP gear, companions, ships, etc. Heck, try fighting with a level 1 companion, raft ship, and NO GEAR whatsoever. The game will get a lot easier than it was before, don't you think? (<---Sarcasm)

Also, there's always the option to go at a dungeon alone!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Silver Angel on Oct 28, 2015 wrote:

Hmm you may have a point. But on a side note doing the campaign with my witch was much harder than it was with my buckler, buck, or musket. With no heal and low health dying a lot was a frequent occurence and with out the chain abilities of others it was hard to kill them completely before they got to me. Privy was also a little slow for the same reasons but at least he had companions that didn't die quite as easy and could boost and heal.
Giving scratch that power will make campaigning easier for both witches and privy. But as you said how easy is too easy? That I cant say.

At any rate I do like how viable this makes scratch. Idk if Im the only that felt this way but i kinda felt like some of the campaign companions got brushed aside as new ones joined the ranks especially scratch. But now if i were to start over with a new witch i have no doubt he would travel with me all the way! :D

Captain
Sep 19, 2012

decorate your house, make new friends, listen to anercrombie when she says if you click team up and prefer not to try old scratch, dont let anybody else push you around! i choose not to use gracie 99% and trust me people get shocked XD but yes, game should and will be more fun if you try different approaches to things...Old Scratch has now gotten a unique helpful much needed update..as one of the original main storyline crew members he more than deserved it..otherwise he'd still be collecting snacks for most of us..this game is expanding quickly a new breeze is in the air..people need to stay hopeful and excited..goodies are coming..in the meantime if all of you would please comment and consider the idea thread i posted about us having a pirate kiosk? i think it might help the moo regatta team up issues as well..
in the meantime i for one am VERY excited with winter coming and wizards in test realm.. pirate might get a turn soon :3 since we still have to share test servers..wiz and pirate take turns..thus anybody got any good ideas about constructive things that could/would help pirates...PLEASE please post..I cant stress this enough..want weapons on wall? post it...want larger gold maximum? post it..want a golden chicken pet? post it..want a companion that looks like my mother? post it..lolol was just checking if you were paying attention lol
keep ya chin up :D smile more be nice to each other make friends try new things this weekend i will be in the morph tent though my poor friends list is full :/ i can still group and go..
stormy jen silver
p.s. Happy Birthday to Chrissy the Blesser!

Captain
Sep 19, 2012

so sorry everybody but i 2,3, and 4..if on a new ultimate mini tower be a LOT of fun...i still prefer 3 companions per person so like a 5 fight place? where gold is high and interesting drops..maybe a misplaced stormgate with a sign warning "not to go in" or "beware ye faint of-heart"..could lead to a black hole? a space-time whirlpool? a B.O.X.E.S. like event? the possiblilities are fun and endless, cant say i dont envy ki employees jobs muchness, but must say with people they have working for them this game will forever keep us on our toes..we pirates are very lucky to have such a great team working for us..this game being as epic as it is is the main reason we get so impatient for more. kudos to Ratbeard for always having a touch of nefariousness..to Decius for the amazing creativity he puts into all the pets..to Bonnie keeping everybody in line and being so supportive of new players..to One-eye Jack keeping us laughing and happy :3 others i could mention but trying to keep this short lol... hugs Pirate101 team we love you!

stormy jen silver