Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Purge epidemic

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Excuse me but how come purge can remove heals remove, absorb, remove buffs, but won't remove cloak. Cloak is definitely classified as a positive status effect. I am sure this is on another thread somewhere but I haven't seen KI address it yet. ((Of course ill probably get a half dozen buckler whining that it shouldn't be so. But your all biased.)) So I would appreciate KI's explanation and opinion on weather or not they are considering the change or if things are staying how they are.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
This has been already discussed on previous subject threads and we got reply from Ratbeard.

The spell is named Purge Magic, and you need to think of Hide as non-magical event. Swashes are just too sneaky. In that logic Purge Magic shouldn't reveal hidden unit.

I do think that hidden unit using Purge should have consequences. Debuffing enemy, and buffing right after without any threat of taking damage is not a good practice imo.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Thomas Sunhammer on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
Excuse me but how come purge can remove heals remove, absorb, remove buffs, but won't remove cloak. Cloak is definitely classified as a positive status effect. I am sure this is on another thread somewhere but I haven't seen KI address it yet. ((Of course ill probably get a half dozen buckler whining that it shouldn't be so. But your all biased.)) So I would appreciate KI's explanation and opinion on weather or not they are considering the change or if things are staying how they are.
Something for you to consider, Sunhammer, Purge is not without consequences to the user - it purges friend and foe alike. It is possible that Purge in the future could break a hide, but you must give KI time to think over the request, get the "OK" from Management, then do the coding, I wouldn't be adverse to purge breaking a hide ( surprise! ). It make a tactical sense.
As to curse, which you find so difficult: Purge Magic will remove this. The Marchioness and Carcarius have this power and the Technomage Glasses from Bishop will grant this as well, I hope this will help you.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
anecorbie on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
Something for you to consider, Sunhammer, Purge is not without consequences to the user - it purges friend and foe alike. It is possible that Purge in the future could break a hide, but you must give KI time to think over the request, get the "OK" from Management, then do the coding, I wouldn't be adverse to purge breaking a hide ( surprise! ). It make a tactical sense.
As to curse, which you find so difficult: Purge Magic will remove this. The Marchioness and Carcarius have this power and the Technomage Glasses from Bishop will grant this as well, I hope this will help you.
Correction. Marchioness and Technomage glasses have Dispel Magic which removes debuffs, not buffs like Purge Magic.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Not to be rude, but that double-edged argument is invalid. We all know swash come alone to use purge, and use their hidden (and still buffed) companions to finish the job.

Also, Marchioness and Carcarius dont have the same power, I'm not sure both can remove curse?

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
I think Thomas' point is that it is without consequences to the user. If you go hidden, your opponent will be forced to shield themselves or else get hit by the boosted Assassin. Then all you have to do is purge, and at the very least, even if they shield again, you wasted a 50% shield from them which will give you the edge later on in the game.

The fundamental problem here is that out of every buff to stats in the game, and hidden should indeed be considered a buff of x2 damage, hidden is the only one that does not get removed my purge. So it is way too easy to use a hidden as a bait for a shield, then purge the shield away and not be afraid of any consequences because you are still hidden.

My favorite on my Buckler is to Black Fog, then move everyone within 3 squares of my opponent's team, Purge all their shields away and just with Fan Flanders and Nausica alone, 100 to 0 their unprotected Pirate captain that same turn. Works every time unless their captain goes hidden with Walk in Darkness, in which case you just focus their unprotected companions instead since you just purged them.

"As to curse, which you find so difficult: Purge Magic will remove this."

Wrong, Purge Magic will not remove Curse. I even got in game for you and double checked to make sure.

I guess you must have meant Dispel Magic instead of Purge Magic. In which case, then yes you are right Dispel Magic does remove the Curse portion of the poison (but not the poison itself). However the only two ways to get it are the Marchioness and Technomage Glasses. Carcarius Grimtooth has Purge Magic instead of Dispel.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Alex Hawkins on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
I think Thomas' point is that it is without consequences to the user. If you go hidden, your opponent will be forced to shield themselves or else get hit by the boosted Assassin. Then all you have to do is purge, and at the very least, even if they shield again, you wasted a 50% shield from them which will give you the edge later on in the game.

The fundamental problem here is that out of every buff to stats in the game, and hidden should indeed be considered a buff of x2 damage, hidden is the only one that does not get removed my purge. So it is way too easy to use a hidden as a bait for a shield, then purge the shield away and not be afraid of any consequences because you are still hidden.

My favorite on my Buckler is to Black Fog, then move everyone within 3 squares of my opponent's team, Purge all their shields away and just with Fan Flanders and Nausica alone, 100 to 0 their unprotected Pirate captain that same turn. Works every time unless their captain goes hidden with Walk in Darkness, in which case you just focus their unprotected companions instead since you just purged them.

Wrong, Purge Magic will not remove Curse. I even got in game for you and double checked to make sure.

I guess you must have meant Dispel Magic instead of Purge Magic. In which case, then yes you are right Dispel Magic does remove the Curse portion of the poison (but not the poison itself). However the only two ways to get it are the Marchioness and Technomage Glasses. Carcarius Grimtooth has Purge Magic instead of Dispel.
Sorry, all I was confusing the two, but still there is a counter available against curse, which was my basic point. Thank you for the correction.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009

Dude Hawkins and Silver Angel and Duncan you guys rock. Yes I did mean that for a hidden buckler there is no consequence. Not if they plan things out right. This doesnt seem fair. They can purge without opening themselves up to a counter hit. The fact of the matter is a buckler with skill is unbeatable unless you just get lucky. Their school is fool proof. My buckler reached champion with shocking ease. But my buck, witch, and musket keep hitting this impenetrable wall of buckler champions. Even more so now that the moo robe is worthless. ((High will or no high will its just not worth the risk any more))

And a buckler with purge...wow even more unstoppable. Now those who armor stack are also brought to their knees and have their one strength removed from them without even a chance to strike back thx to hide.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
So we want to make a completely avoidable power suicidal for a swashbuckler to cast because we can't spread our companions, use a hide, use a barricade or simply move out of range?

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009

Dispel SHOULD remove the curse AND the poison. That is definitely a negative effect and would mose certainly give privateers a huge leg up against buckler which privateers really need. Between Marchioness and Emmet they might actually stand a fighting chance! The could counter the two biggest threats bucks and bucklers. They have a counter for one at least...emmet has restrict movement. Now Dispel needs to remove poison and the true tank class can have a fighting chance. hmm that is assuming they fix the purge issue as well.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
In fact the purge epidemic is hardest on the poor privy. All those boosts and buff's down the drain. Especially if they use the barrier strategy. Lol now they can't even run away from the incoming purge.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
So we want to make a completely avoidable power suicidal for a swashbuckler to cast because we can't spread our companions, use a hide, use a barricade or simply move out of range?
Let's be honest here Eric, it is a lose-lose situation for the person on the receiving end (unless you're a Buckler yourself). If I go next to you and poison you while hidden, even assuming you have a shield already, there are two things you can do:

-Either you spend your turn moving away, in which case that's a turn you didn't spend buffing your companions or shielding your companions or damaging my companions
-Or you use walk in darkness, in which case I'll just focus your companions instead

Either way, I save my purge and focus someone else. Then what happens when you have no more Walk in Darkness to protect against the combo and I attempt to do the same thing again?

As a Swashbucklers whose only losses so far have come against other Swashbucklers, I can tell you that vs every other class the hidden-purge combo is way too fatal. I find it silly that a power, which is not even native to Swashbucklers, is so much more effective on them than on every other class in the game. No one else has the luxury of using purge and not having to worry about dying the next turn. So why should Swashbucklers be the one to have that luxury? You mention not wanting to make the power suicidal for Swashbucklers, but that's how the power is for every other class in the game if used when surrounded by enemy units.

Again, just the simple fact that the x2 weapon power buff from hidden is the only buff in the whole game that does not get removed by Purge is silly. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if they made it so you did stay hidden but lost the x2 weapon power buff.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Alex Hawkins on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
Let's be honest here Eric, it is a lose-lose situation for the person on the receiving end (unless you're a Buckler yourself). If I go next to you and poison you while hidden, even assuming you have a shield already, there are two things you can do:

-Either you spend your turn moving away, in which case that's a turn you didn't spend buffing your companions or shielding your companions or damaging my companions
-Or you use walk in darkness, in which case I'll just focus your companions instead

Either way, I save my purge and focus someone else. Then what happens when you have no more Walk in Darkness to protect against the combo and I attempt to do the same thing again?

As a Swashbucklers whose only losses so far have come against other Swashbucklers, I can tell you that vs every other class the hidden-purge combo is way too fatal. I find it silly that a power, which is not even native to Swashbucklers, is so much more effective on them than on every other class in the game. No one else has the luxury of using purge and not having to worry about dying the next turn. So why should Swashbucklers be the one to have that luxury? You mention not wanting to make the power suicidal for Swashbucklers, but that's how the power is for every other class in the game if used when surrounded by enemy units.

Again, just the simple fact that the x2 weapon power buff from hidden is the only buff in the whole game that does not get removed by Purge is silly. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if they made it so you did stay hidden but lost the x2 weapon power buff.
Haha props to Hawkins. That is a very well summation of the issue. With examples. The fact is there is nothing you can do. The BEST case scenario...is you burn through shields and leave yourself WIDE OPEN by the end of the match. Worst case is...the right cards arent up and you die.

This had been my entire point...there is...no...defense. All a buckler needs is patience and timing.

Hehe i met a buckler today who was undefeated in the second season. 24 and 0. About to reach champion without even a single loss. And yet you continue to deny all our valid points.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013

Trick them into using purge before it becomes detrimental but also master time and space. There are many levels of fighting that could be tried here but if I told you....that would be telling...

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Thomas Sunhammer on Sep 23, 2015 wrote:
Haha props to Hawkins. That is a very well summation of the issue. With examples. The fact is there is nothing you can do. The BEST case scenario...is you burn through shields and leave yourself WIDE OPEN by the end of the match. Worst case is...the right cards arent up and you die.

This had been my entire point...there is...no...defense. All a buckler needs is patience and timing.

Hehe i met a buckler today who was undefeated in the second season. 24 and 0. About to reach champion without even a single loss. And yet you continue to deny all our valid points.
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

While I do agree that the Purge + Hidden is a tad in the strong side, the rest of the Swashbuckler class is pretty balanced when compared vs Bucks, vs Muskets and vs Privateers. Just because a Buckler is undefeated so far doesn't mean much. I reached my own Buccaneer undefeated 29-0 to Champion last season, does that mean Bucks are OP?

At the moment I am very satisfied with the way the "meta" and balance is (perhaps except for poor Witches), so just a couple of small fixes like Purge removing hidden (which is also a buff for Witches vs Bucklers) would make the game perfect.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Alex Hawkins on Sep 24, 2015 wrote:

While I do agree that the Purge + Hidden is a tad in the strong side, the rest of the Swashbuckler class is pretty balanced when compared vs Bucks, vs Muskets and vs Privateers. Just because a Buckler is undefeated so far doesn't mean much. I reached my own Buccaneer undefeated 29-0 to Champion last season, does that mean Bucks are OP?

At the moment I am very satisfied with the way the "meta" and balance is (perhaps except for poor Witches), so just a couple of small fixes like Purge removing hidden (which is also a buff for Witches vs Bucklers) would make the game perfect.
bucks need nerf on shield limit how dare they be the tanks they were designed to be this is horrible(although for real they need less damage dealt, in every other game the tanks arent meant to do damage better then the dps class)

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009

That's the issue it is not a lose-lose because you can hide, you can utilize barricade or as stated you can move out of the way. It is entirely possible to spread your units so that at most only one will be affected by purge. In terms of no one else being able to use this combo. Every other class can use this combo- here is my witchdoctor using it: Witch PvP . If Purge is as big an issue as people claim(I wholeheartedly disagree) then I could agree to removing the x2 damage. However I cannot agree to purge removing hide as it literally creates a scenario where the user has killed themselves.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Any class can get hide trough equipment so this particular technique can be utilized by any pirate.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 24, 2015 wrote:
That's the issue it is not a lose-lose because you can hide, you can utilize barricade or as stated you can move out of the way. It is entirely possible to spread your units so that at most only one will be affected by purge. In terms of no one else being able to use this combo. Every other class can use this combo- here is my witchdoctor using it: Witch PvP . If Purge is as big an issue as people claim(I wholeheartedly disagree) then I could agree to removing the x2 damage. However I cannot agree to purge removing hide as it literally creates a scenario where the user has killed themselves.
woah a fair trade against bucklers thats insane, why not attack with your companions after the purge when they still have all their garbage

Ensign
May 21, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 25, 2015 wrote:
Any class can get hide trough equipment so this particular technique can be utilized by any pirate.
Come on now, that's at least a little disingenuous. No other class can purge from hidden and strike with 3 hidden companions in the same turn, which is the point of the argument. But you knew that.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
Hide yes, black fog no the swashes companions will still have a 2x damage and be in range to attack idk about you but taking a 2x from a goro brutal charge, Nausica super and fan super will 100 to zero me easily even with 3200 life

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Alex Hawkins on Sep 24, 2015 wrote:

Well thats all the suggestions are. Small fixes. Yet they bring people up in arms because they don't wanna give up their clear advantage.

You have a point that one buckler doesn't mean they are super strong. But...there is something to be said now that the moo robe is gone. ((even if you didn't use it before the fact that its gone has allowed everyone to enhance their gear in other ways)) I would love to hear your NEW record in this new season once you finish getting your buck to champion again.

That being said they do still have the highest ratio of champions last season. Its too early to tell this season...but what I have seen...yup they are on track to have the highest ratio this season too.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Having it remove the x2 damage would be an acceptable compromise. Even though that is KIND of like saying a buck should be allowed to keep his shield...since staying hidden is a very positive form of defense just like a shield is. But if they wanted to have it remove the x2 boost at least it would force a buckler to think before using it and make them choose between offense and defense.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
zuto4011a on Sep 24, 2015 wrote:
bucks need nerf on shield limit how dare they be the tanks they were designed to be this is horrible(although for real they need less damage dealt, in every other game the tanks arent meant to do damage better then the dps class)
Idk what your talking about my buck has only 295 damage. That is not the strongest. And if tide is your only reason there are many ways for other pirates to have damage boosting part of tide. The axe of doom and pet grants epcis are both very reliable versions.

The fact is bucks need their shields. Without them they are nothing. A buckler has 4-5 cloaks and cloak...is both offense AND defense! Since most moves can't hit them while they are hidden that is a pretty full proof defense and it gears them up for a x2 hit! And privy have shields AND tons of heals so they have defense. Muskets have mobs and traps and shields. ((The only one that REALLY needs something are witches. But you can't nerf everyone just to make things balanced. Personally I am a fan of making all the summons a witch can do way stronger. Since summing is supposed to be their main defense. Create an army of the undead...ha try to kill me now. But they are going with improving old scratch i guess which kind of works that way)) At any rate saying you should take away a bucks ability to shield is like saying take away the number of cloaks a buckler can carry or heals a privy can have or bombs a musket can use.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
You can hide
Hiding just forces a buckler to use his purge later in the game

You can utilize barricade
All he has to do is break the barricade then go back into hiding. Bucklers do have 4-5 of them so they can afford to waste one

You can move out of the way
Hawkins mentioned that one already. Running away cost you a turn where you could be buffing or attacking and in the end actually leaves you wide open to hard attack. So it basically has the same result. Hold still and be purged. Or run around so the shields and buffs run out anyway.

Spread out units
First of all this is contradictory to your own point about barricade! How can they be spread out AND stay protected behind the wall? And in most cases spreading out just ensures your companions will all be picked off by the incoming black fog companion swarm of locusts. They devour anything not properly defended.

In the end...cloaking from the shadows...really doesn't have anything you can do about it. You just have to cross your fingers and hope that he messes up the timing. But if he doesn't make a mistake...then your dead. I would argue that is the only way to defeat a buckler these days. Cross your fingers and hope they make a mistake that you can take advantage of. Because so far...i see no weaknesses in their offense or defense. And purge makes it even worse.