Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Leviathan's Call V.S. Valor's Fort

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
This topic has been bugging ever since the Moo Update, so I guess it is time to get this issue out there. My problem not that Leviathan is useless, it is still useful both in PvP and PvE, however it is directly obsolete compared to Fort. Fort not only protects against magic and traps for the same duration as Levy, but it also can be put onto any ally as well. Between all the other damage reductions, it was an exchange for power vs. duration, so I usually respected most of our powers now. These are one of the few powers that are not from the same class where one is a direct buff to the other. I have nothing against Valor's fort, especially now that you cannot stack them, but I believe that something should be done to make Leviathan's bit stronger in it's field. Logically, Selfish Defensive powers should be at least slightly stronger in its field. So here are some of my suggestions:

Increase the Damage Reduction to 60% against Melee and ranged. This would at least make it debatable between the two powers, as well as having Leviathans override Fort in PvP.

Increase the Damage Reduction to 70% against melee and ranged, but reduce the turn duration to 3 turns. This would solve my current issue, and would allow Kraken's lament to see a little more play as well.

Give it Protection against Magic: I hope this one does not go through, but if they really meant to be equivalents of each other and one is meant to be selfish, then make them equal.

I'm open to any suggestions, but really something should be done so that one power does not directly outshine the other.

Stormy Sam Templeton 65

Developer
Buccaneers are simply not as good at protection magic as Privateers (and never will be).

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Jul 29, 2015 wrote:
Buccaneers are simply not as good at protection magic as Privateers (and never will be).
Sincerely glad that is the case, however my other points still stand. Is there a chance that Leviathan could do slightly better at protecting yourself against melee and ranged? If so, then I don't think anyone could complain about Leviathan's call one bit. While Buccaneers can protect themselves against melee/ranged and not other companions, Privateers can not only protect themselves better than buccaneers can, but also can protect their companions better. I just felt like bringing this issue up. Even if they don't protect against magic, which is fine, I still don't think one class should have a direct buff to a power than another class.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
I agree with this however I believe leviathans call should be given an extra benefit such as allowing the caster to move and cast it. This would help buccs tremendously in PvE without overruling privateer's mastery of protection buffs. You can see the same principle in effect with priv vs swash critical powers. Priv's affect the whole team while swash's only affect one. However swash's are compensated with a higher buff from their powers.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Like Ratbeard said, Buccaneers will simply never be as good at protection magic as Privateers. This is also the reason why Buccaneers can't defend their companions with Leviathan's Call. Buccaneers themselves are meant to be tanks (IMO, I could be wrong since this is coming from a main Swashbuckler, though all of my friends who play this game are Buccaneer, and tell me it's like a tank) but aren't really great at protecting others or against magic. Privateers are meant to be team leaders, commanders, of their companions (like the general of an army, protecting his troops from whatever comes at them). I don't believe that this particular power needs a buff, it seems to be just fine to me.

If it were to be buffed, I would have to go with number one. This one seems the most feasible to me, as long as magic resist is not incorporated into it. I believe that it is also why Buccaneer has great armor due to heavy gear, but doesn't have a lot of magic resist from it.

If number two was the option, I feel like this would unbalance the game (especially if BF was nerfed (lets not go into the BF situation)). Buccaneers could literally Leviathan's Call and Highland Charge, dealing a huge amount of damage while taking very little.

If number three was the solution, I would feel Buccaneer has become too similar to Privateer. Each 'class' is meant to be unique, and Valor's Fortress and Leviathan's Call would have the exact same effect. If you look at it in the PvP perspective, Witchdoctor would be put at another disadvantage. I would have to agree that I really don't want this option implemented into the game.

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
Mr. Ratbeard, I won't argue that Privateers should be better at protection magic than Buccaneers, but I do think it's quite odd that the only thing that makes Leviathan's Call different from Valor's Fort are it's weaknesses. I mean, if you look at it seriously it's onlya watered down VF. That's the only difference between the two. I don't know what your reasons for that are, but shouldn't the Buccaneer's calling card power be a little more unique than that? I don't mind having Levy be slightly weaker than VF, but shouldn't it be unique for something other than its weaknesses?

A buccaneer isn't as good at protection, all good, but shouldn't that just mean that Levy gives a different kind of advantage then? Perhaps something like Eric suggested? Being able to move while using it? Just a subtle difference that makes it distinguishable from VF other than it's weaknesses. If you would please reply to this with a reason as to why you won't consider a change like this, I would greatly appreciated.