Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirate101, What's the best?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2015
Ok so i was wondering if, strength or weapon power would be best for a buccaneer
because i got dragoon's heavy boots (hide in darkness and 10 strength)
Or the auric peril boots? (hide in darkness and 10 wepoan power).

Because i know have high weapon power, but could they use more or most strength?

Thanks for commenting on the buck guide

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
well, 10 strength would increase your damage by 2% If you are using a weapon that focuses on strength. it would also probably add a somewhat hefty bit to your critical hit rate. you should check your damage with each equipped and decide which you think is better.

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I've also heard that strength effects the likelihood of the ability 'relentless' triggering.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
imagician26 on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:
Ok so i was wondering if, strength or weapon power would be best for a buccaneer

Because i know have high weapon power, but could they use more or most strength?

Since both come with Walk in Darkness, let's concentrate on the two differences: strength and weapon power. It depends on you, which is at this moment, stronger? If it's your strength ( and strength is the ability that drives a buck's damage ) then use the dragoon's heavy boots.
If your weapon has the better score for damage then use the auric peril, either way, I would keep both pieces of equipment, and change out as needed.

Ensign
Aug 09, 2013
I'd have to say, for a buccaneer with high weapon power already, it would be the Dragoon's boots. Hide in Darkness keeps you hidden from enemies for five turns and also doubles your weapon power, and the extra strength on those increases your chance of getting a critical on the enemies. But it really just depends on your play style and what you like.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
imagician26 on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:

This depends on how you look at it. Every 5 points of strength equal 1 weapon power. However, having more strength than the enemy increases your critical odds. It also reduces the odds of an enemy with a strength-based weapon landing a critical on you. It's your choice.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:
This depends on how you look at it. Every 5 points of strength equal 1 weapon power. However, having more strength than the enemy increases your critical odds. It also reduces the odds of an enemy with a strength-based weapon landing a critical on you. It's your choice.
"Every 5 points of strength equal 1 weapon power"

unless i am severely mistaken, five points of your SAW abilities actually increases your weapon power by 1%. perhaps that isn't a whole lot for a new pirate, but for a maxed pirate that is a considerable boost.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Buccaneer have low # of powers and they rely on killing there enemies quickly this is why items like the Axe of the Minotaur Lords for the Follow through is great, gives chances to critical and create those Bladestorm chains. This is why I've personally found myself sticking with Dragoon boots because that 10 strength does increase your critical chance quiet high, I try to always stick around 100-110 Strength because that means on any swash unit your critical chance will be around 20% base while vs Witch/Privy units it's usually around 25-30% base which is amazing because IMO as a Buck you do have to rely on the RNG factors of the game (Hence why in P101C tournaments I don't use mine even thou he's my best char just because they're not consistent enough with outcomes) So IMO dragoon boots are a must for Buccaneer.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Blixet on Jul 6, 2015 wrote:
"Every 5 points of strength equal 1 weapon power"

unless i am severely mistaken, five points of your SAW abilities actually increases your weapon power by 1%. perhaps that isn't a whole lot for a new pirate, but for a maxed pirate that is a considerable boost.
Yeah, you're right. I haven't looked at the conversion in a while. And I agree, that 1% is awesome for maxes.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65