Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fun with the Nefarious Five - a survey

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ahoy my fellow pirates! I have a question for you. When fighting the Nef-5 what kind of fight do you enjoy more; the quick, easy victory or the victory snatched from the jaws of defeat?
I must confess that although the quick defeat leaves you with a speed chest ( and more rewards ) I love pulling a victory from "impossible" odds.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
anecorbie on Jun 25, 2015 wrote:
Ahoy my fellow pirates! I have a question for you. When fighting the Nef-5 what kind of fight do you enjoy more; the quick, easy victory or the victory snatched from the jaws of defeat?
I must confess that although the quick defeat leaves you with a speed chest ( and more rewards ) I love pulling a victory from "impossible" odds.
Hmmm, a good question you pose... I tend to enjoy the quick defeat. It becomes tedious if the battle goes too long. It's already a fairly long dungeon so the quick defeat feels good in terms of time.

Now, in your opinion, who's the optimal companion for Nef-5 in your opinion? I tend to bring Nausica but I think Toro is also good to bring for his buff.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
well you see, running it solo doesnt really allow for a speedy victory

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I don't think I have ever had an "easy" victory over those losers, just some less difficult than others. I prefer victories with a smaller body count on our side...

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Jun 25, 2015 wrote:
Hmmm, a good question you pose... I tend to enjoy the quick defeat. It becomes tedious if the battle goes too long. It's already a fairly long dungeon so the quick defeat feels good in terms of time.

Now, in your opinion, who's the optimal companion for Nef-5 in your opinion? I tend to bring Nausica but I think Toro is also good to bring for his buff.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
For swashbuckler my choice is always Sarah Steele, we can two team ( from a hide ) Jonathan and defeat him in one round with her backstab and my assassin's strike.
For musketeer - Louis Le Bisque, he can stand up better to Josef's vicious charge than Chantal and of course his bombs help.
For witchdoctor - Kan Po, with Greater Juju and his walk in shadows, he Kan do very well, hold off on an attack so he can heal a team mate who has taken damage in the first round, then send him against Lynne ( WD ) or Ben ( musket )
Buccaneer -some use Peter Quint and he's certainly effective, but I prefer Barnabus for his damage reduction and his own charge.
For Privateer I always use the Marchioness, with a valor's armor on her and any buffs I use and her own will enhancing buff; she's dynamite!
As Esperanza I tend not to use El Toro or Fan ( too squishy ), and although I have Nausica, I've seen Ben shoot the heck out of her, Bonnie Anne and Chantal ( the last two seem to be Josef's favorite targets ).

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Oh, I think victory is much more sweet when pulled from 'impossible' odds . And when Faye is at her best (or worst, depending on your point of view) there is a mixture of hilarity and chagrin which causes a lot of laughter on this side of the computer. Like "Ratbeard, no! Snap out of it!... Oops... sorry..."

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I'm my 4 successful runs, I think I've only had an easy victory once.

The others, a little hard.

When I'm charmed by Faye, when I use an Asssassin's Strike, I say, "Hey! I was gonna use that!"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Jun 25, 2015 wrote:
I'll put that in the 'impossible odds' category.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
We always try to nuke Faye from orbit...

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
For swashbuckler my choice is always Sarah Steele, we can two team ( from a hide ) Jonathan and defeat him in one round with her backstab and my assassin's strike.
For musketeer - Louis Le Bisque, he can stand up better to Josef's vicious charge than Chantal and of course his bombs help.
For witchdoctor - Kan Po, with Greater Juju and his walk in shadows, he Kan do very well, hold off on an attack so he can heal a team mate who has taken damage in the first round, then send him against Lynne ( WD ) or Ben ( musket )
Buccaneer -some use Peter Quint and he's certainly effective, but I prefer Barnabus for his damage reduction and his own charge.
For Privateer I always use the Marchioness, with a valor's armor on her and any buffs I use and her own will enhancing buff; she's dynamite!
As Esperanza I tend not to use El Toro or Fan ( too squishy ), and although I have Nausica, I've seen Ben shoot the heck out of her, Bonnie Anne and Chantal ( the last two seem to be Josef's favorite targets ).
Hmmm, good points there. I honestly don't use Fan very often anymore because, as you said, too squishy.

I haven't used Sarah Steele too much lately, but perhaps it's time to pull her into the field again.

Though I haven't played all the classes in Moo Manchu, I like your choices.

Nausica does tend to get shot a lot in that fight, but at that point, I don't use often her for the rest of tower and typically afterwards, I log off long enough for her to be revived. It's nice having her for Manchu, but honestly a hidden on Dolan combined with Assassin's Strike works fine.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Talk about snatching a victory from the jaws of defeat! This latest tower attempt was a prime example and put my new swashbuckler build to the severest test ( many thanks to Quick Harry Abbott for his advice ).
Ok there I was in the Tower grouped with two friends: Smart Logan West ( ) and Sly Justin Young ( ) everything going normally. Justin wanted to drink the elixir and everything was arranged. BUT in our team up was a menu chat only ( name with-held for reasons to become apparent ).
After the fight on floor seven, Justin began to un-equip when Logan and I heard the unmistakable sound of someone triggering the battle, fearing our young team mate would need help, Logan and I raced into the room. Only to discover that he had drunk the elixir without un-equipping!
And let me tell you, that battle came unglued early. First, I'm equipped with Moo's Robes and neither the cotta warriors nor my black fog showed in the first round ( and they're the first two powers in my roster ). Secondly, for some reason none of us got a companion, and Justin had run into the battle un-equipped!
After various summons, and 'pushes', Justin was defeated and Logan and I were quickly reduced to less than half health. We had to kill that WD several times! Finally Logan was defeated, I had to resort to 'hide and heal'
but In the mean time our summons ( and us ) had hurt Jonathan badly and got Josef to half, Faye kept healing but the Dragon Axe of Dooms flames kept the damage going. Finally a well placed assassin's strike ended Jonathan and I healed Logan for his attack on Josef, slowly we managed to get enough health to continue the battle..
One group heal later and Justin was able to join in, and I hid again and used gloom on both Faye and Ben, Logan having destroyed Lynne almost single handed. Then our heroic Orthruses helped us clean up the two remaining. I will always remember this run, not for what we got, but for our determination in over coming 'impossible odds'..

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
zuto4011a on Jun 25, 2015 wrote:
He's right. Got to love the long fight.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Jun 26, 2015 wrote:
Hmmm, good points there. I honestly don't use Fan very often anymore because, as you said, too squishy.

I haven't used Sarah Steele too much lately, but perhaps it's time to pull her into the field again.

Though I haven't played all the classes in Moo Manchu, I like your choices.

Nausica does tend to get shot a lot in that fight, but at that point, I don't use often her for the rest of tower and typically afterwards, I log off long enough for her to be revived. It's nice having her for Manchu, but honestly a hidden on Dolan combined with Assassin's Strike works fine.
I have found that most often -- on all my characters-- there is one companion who works the very best for the Nefarious 5 fight.

Ratbeard

He can protect himself fairly decently from their attacks, can stop their advance in a couple of ways, attacks solidly, defends well, and can usually survive the entire fight.

My other companions get to have their day in the sun for the other fights in the Tower, but Ratbeard is my go-to guy for the Nefarious 5

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 29, 2015 wrote:
I have found that most often -- on all my characters-- there is one companion who works the very best for the Nefarious 5 fight.

Ratbeard

He can protect himself fairly decently from their attacks, can stop their advance in a couple of ways, attacks solidly, defends well, and can usually survive the entire fight.

My other companions get to have their day in the sun for the other fights in the Tower, but Ratbeard is my go-to guy for the Nefarious 5
Good points. I like using him in the terror-cotta fight for the same reasons.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
Well the first time i fought those jerks i went ahead and drank the evil fruit juice which made me become evil ( thankfully that battle was won though ) But i would say the quick and easy victory because its awesome and taking them out quickly makes sure they won't unleash their epic skills.