Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

News, Good and Bad [Personal]

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Hello everyone! As always I am Cruel Owen Quarrel and this post will be a bit more serious than my other posts, and I'll be honest: it contains soke pretty heavy stuff. So, if you're not into that or that can trigger a reaction, please click away from this post right now. Some of this stuff is pretty arbitrary but it's stuff I feel would help me if I share. I'm not even certain if the mods will "Okay" this, but here goes.

During Spring Break my father was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma [I think it's papillary it might've been called something else] which is Thyroid cancer. In 2008 my mother was diagnosed with skin cancer and she got it treated, but this was differet because it wasn't a matter of exposure. Anyways, my mother and father were very stressed about this revelation, but in May my dad got his surgery and it all went fine. He is now currently on an iodine-free diet to prepare for his radiation treatment in a few weeks and so far everything is okay.

On May 3rd, before me or my brother even woke up, my dad got a call from his mother that said my grandpa was bleeding internally and asked him to come up to Virginia. Unfortunately his brother and sister-in-law were there and they.. Are not very nice people. Calling them selfish would be an understatement. The next weekend, my dad, brother, mom and I went up to see them again, and my aunt, uncle, and one of my cousins were there. We threw an early 90th birthday party for my grandpa, because he's 89 and his birthday is in January. Thankfully he is much much better, and now tiredness is the main thing. We just visited him this weekend for Father's day. Unfortunately my brother couldn't make it because he couldn't get the day off, which stunk both for him and for my family.

If you have read this post, thank you very much and I'm very very sorry to throw this kind of baggage onto you. I just really needed to get this off my chest so it doesn't stew inside me and make me unpleasant to talk to. I truly want to thank you for listening to this and thank you guys, because the message boards have helped me through these things more than anything. There are some truly spectacular people here and I hope every single one of you knows how much your kindness and involvement in this community has impacted me and made me strive to be better.

Thank you, and have a fantastic year.

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Castaway

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
God bless you and your family, my prayers are with you. Of course you can share this with the message boards community; some of us are your friends in game and others have enjoyed your posts.
Thank you, KingsIsle, for passing on Owen's message.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Sounds like you are going through a lot of stress. I know some game play and taking out your stresses on some well deserving bad guys will help a lot, as well as having some fun with your piratey friends.
I will be sure to keep you and your family in my prayers and I hope things settle down into some healthy normalcy really soon.
*Chrissy hugs*

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
My heart goes out to you in this time of family troubles. You'll get through it and emerge into the sunlight.

I'm glad you felt like sharing and that positive thoughts are coming your way from many, even if they do not post a reply here to say so.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
May the Immortals bless you and your family. I hope everything gets better soon.

*Hugs*

-Black Wolf Bowman

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Thank you all for your very kind words and support. It really means a lot to me and I'm so touched by how close this community is. Thank you all so so much

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 23, 2015 wrote:
Hello everyone! As always I am Cruel Owen Quarrel and this post will be a bit more serious than my other posts, and I'll be honest: it contains soke pretty heavy stuff. So, if you're not into that or that can trigger a reaction, please click away from this post right now. Some of this stuff is pretty arbitrary but it's stuff I feel would help me if I share. I'm not even certain if the mods will "Okay" this, but here goes.

During Spring Break my father was diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma [I think it's papillary it might've been called something else] which is Thyroid cancer. In 2008 my mother was diagnosed with skin cancer and she got it treated, but this was differet because it wasn't a matter of exposure. Anyways, my mother and father were very stressed about this revelation, but in May my dad got his surgery and it all went fine. He is now currently on an iodine-free diet to prepare for his radiation treatment in a few weeks and so far everything is okay.

On May 3rd, before me or my brother even woke up, my dad got a call from his mother that said my grandpa was bleeding internally and asked him to come up to Virginia. Unfortunately his brother and sister-in-law were there and they.. Are not very nice people. Calling them selfish would be an understatement. The next weekend, my dad, brother, mom and I went up to see them again, and my aunt, uncle, and one of my cousins were there. We threw an early 90th birthday party for my grandpa, because he's 89 and his birthday is in January. Thankfully he is much much better, and now tiredness is the main thing. We just visited him this weekend for Father's day. Unfortunately my brother couldn't make it because he couldn't get the day off, which stunk both for him and for my family.

If you have read this post, thank you very much and I'm very very sorry to throw this kind of baggage onto you. I just really needed to get this off my chest so it doesn't stew inside me and make me unpleasant to talk to. I truly want to thank you for listening to this and thank you guys, because the message boards have helped me through these things more than anything. There are some truly spectacular people here and I hope every single one of you knows how much your kindness and involvement in this community has impacted me and made me strive to be better.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers. I know how hard some of this is; I've recently gone through something similar. Stay positive, even though it may be difficult. We're all here for you, keeping you and your family in our thoughts.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Owen, I'm very sorry to hear about your family's recent health issues. Yet I am so happy that you decided to share them here with us, your piratin' friends and family. Posts like yours can help us all keep things in perspective and better understand to cherish the 'more important' things in life, like family and loved ones. It also helps bring a 'real life aspect' and personal quality to the posters here on the boards.

I truly hope and wish nothing but improved health and safe recovery to your father, your grandpa, your family and to you as well. Our thoughts, prayers and support are fully behind you all.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 23, 2015 wrote:

Aye, I'm truly sorry for the rise of health issues. Godspeed to you and your family. I'll be sending you my positive energy.

Thx for sharing with us. I understand life can get tough. Know we're always here as a community.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
I'm sorry Owen I'm praying for you and your family I hope your family gets better soon

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Sorry to hear this, Owen. Hope everything goes better for you and your family now. I'm definitely holding you in my thoughts.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
I wish yer father the best of luck on this crossroad on life and death, may god help him on the path of good health once more and keep fighting the good fight, tell yer father to never give up and that ye'll be there by his to help him win this battle, fer yer family here believes in ye and yer father, never forget that.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Owen, I hope your parents and your grandfather will all recover their health swiftly.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
If you guys wouldn't mind it, I'd like to periodically update this topic with stuff that's happening, or any developments. This is slightly unrelated, but 30 minutes ago when my dad was at the Y and walking, he got back and his battery broke down. Which stinks. We jumpstarted it but it'll cost a bit of money to repair it. The important thing is he's safe and home now.