Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What class to play next?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
Hello fellow pirates!! I will be finishing up my Swashbuckler this week and I want to work on my next class. I want to get a max level pirate on each class and so far I have currently completed a Privateer and soon, a Swashbuckler. So what do you all recommend? I don't care which class I play next so I decided to let you guys decide! So the choices are Buccaneer, Musketeer, and Witchdoctor Give me reasons why on each class and I'll figure it out from there!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Grizzley117 on Apr 19, 2015 wrote:
Hello fellow pirates!! I will be finishing up my Swashbuckler this week and I want to work on my next class. I want to get a max level pirate on each class and so far I have currently completed a Privateer and soon, a Swashbuckler. So what do you all recommend? I don't care which class I play next so I decided to let you guys decide! So the choices are Buccaneer, Musketeer, and Witchdoctor Give me reasons why on each class and I'll figure it out from there!
I have to chose one? But they're all very good! But if you want to try a change of pace, go with a class with range attacks, Musketeer!
1. excellent range attacks and damage
2. Bombs, bombs, and more bombs
3. Unicorn companion - Ridolfo Capoferro!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I'd suggest you try one of the ranged classes, either Musketeer or Witchdoctor. Privateer and Swashbuckler are both close-quarter fighters, generally.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Congrats on two maxed characters.

May I recommend , for your next class character. In my opinon this is a great class to work with, it got alot of great powers and dose multiple damages in battle. In my in game experience, I have leveled up vary rapidly with this class.It's also a powerful class and got a lot powerful companions.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I would say musketeer or witchdoctor, but not the bucky yet. The bucky, like the swashie, is a run up and hit people character, so plays in a very similar way to the swashie you are just finishing up. So for a bit of variety, take the WD or musky, who are both lurk-in-the-back and blast types.

Congrats on the shwashie! Is he hitting max level, or finishing Aquila? Mine stop running (except for Moo's Tower and the occasional ship/scrip runs) when they hit 65, so I have not finished all of Aquila yet.

-Indigo

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
If you want to play something similar in fighting style to Privateer or Swashbuckler, go with Buccaneer. Like Swashbuckler, he gets in there and mixes it up. He doesn't do the same amount of damage, but boy, can he take the punishment.

If, however, you want a change of pace, I'd go with Witchdoctor. Be aware, though, that both Witchdoctor and Musketeer stay away from melee, doing their damage from the fringes of a fight. They both tend to be able to take less damage as a result.

I would save Musketeer for last, as not only are they trickier, in my experience, most of your companions end up being Musketeers as well. So, you either learn to use them very well, or you surround yourself with what little of the other classes as you can. Ratbeard, whoever you get from Mooshu at the beginning, the companion you get at the Presidio, those three will give you people who can mix it up, or surround your pirate to prevent others from attacking him directly.

The mere fact that neither the first companion you get (Egg Shen, Wing Chun, Subodai, etc.) nor the companion you get at the Presidio are anything but Witchdoctors or Musketeers tends to make me believe that those two should be saved for more experienced players.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
First, congrats dude!

Now, as for my opinion, I'd say Witchdoctor. The summons are great for diverting attention from you and for chipping away at your opponents' health. The spells do a great amount of damage to your opponents and some lower your opponent's stats, which is very useful. Also, you get Kan Po, who becomes very powerful when fully promoted. Even at his first promotion, he gains rouse.

Unfortunately you will have to deal with Mormo's poor accuracy. However where he falls in accuracy he makes up in his sense of humor. In my opinion, he's the funniest companion, even more than El Toro and Hawkules.

I don't have a lot of experience as a witchdoctor(mine is level 13), but I've seen enough to give a strong opinion.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Lieutenant
Dec 13, 2008
Indigo Ring on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
I would say musketeer or witchdoctor, but not the bucky yet. The bucky, like the swashie, is a run up and hit people character, so plays in a very similar way to the swashie you are just finishing up. So for a bit of variety, take the WD or musky, who are both lurk-in-the-back and blast types.

Congrats on the shwashie! Is he hitting max level, or finishing Aquila? Mine stop running (except for Moo's Tower and the occasional ship/scrip runs) when they hit 65, so I have not finished all of Aquila yet.

-Indigo
Thanks Indigo! To answer your question, he is level 65, but not done with Aquila. Believe it or not, I actually got to level 65 in the first couple quests in Aquila. I do all the side quests:) But I decided from the beginning that I would finish everything in the game even if I reached max before the last quest. It's more my OCD acting up than anything, but I enjoy the story so much that I can't leave any stone unturned (in case something like the mechanical birds plot line was connected to the main quest).

And to all the others, I'm grateful for the well-wishes and advice! I've decided to play a witchdoctor. Yay! I think it will be a fun experience. And it will be a nice change of pace from the "in your face" style that privateers and swashbucklers use. And from there... well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it! Thanks again!

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
Max DeGroot on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
If you want to play something similar in fighting style to Privateer or Swashbuckler, go with Buccaneer. Like Swashbuckler, he gets in there and mixes it up. He doesn't do the same amount of damage, but boy, can he take the punishment.

If, however, you want a change of pace, I'd go with Witchdoctor. Be aware, though, that both Witchdoctor and Musketeer stay away from melee, doing their damage from the fringes of a fight. They both tend to be able to take less damage as a result.

I would save Musketeer for last, as not only are they trickier, in my experience, most of your companions end up being Musketeers as well. So, you either learn to use them very well, or you surround yourself with what little of the other classes as you can. Ratbeard, whoever you get from Mooshu at the beginning, the companion you get at the Presidio, those three will give you people who can mix it up, or surround your pirate to prevent others from attacking him directly.

The mere fact that neither the first companion you get (Egg Shen, Wing Chun, Subodai, etc.) nor the companion you get at the Presidio are anything but Witchdoctors or Musketeers tends to make me believe that those two should be saved for more experienced players.
Thank you for calling me "an experienced player" . I totally appreciate the compliment!
Actually, Musketeer companions are very easy to work with, seeing that all your buffs affect them and most all of them can get Overwatch/Burst Fire/Double Tap, which are must-needs for a musketeer companion. I never use Ratbeard, used Wing Chun a couple of times as a tank/healer unit, and NEVER, EVER used Burgius Latro.
IMO, Musketeers need to work with Musketeer companions (and maybe a swash or two).
So, Wild Bill Peacock (If you can afford him), Chantal and Bonne Anne are very good together!
Wild Bill Peacock: Double Tap 2, Burst Fire 2
Bonnie Anne: Burst Fire 2, Overwatch 2, Double Tap
Chantal Livingstone: Overwatch, Burst Fire 2, Double Tap
Don't mean to be rude here, but I don't know why you would want a musketeer to surround himself with other classes

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Same here, Grizzley117. I hit the breaks when a character hist level 65, since I never met an experience point I didn't like. Like you, I do all the side quests so I don't advance very far into Aquila.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
PRIVATEERJACK10 on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
Thank you for calling me "an experienced player" . I totally appreciate the compliment!
Actually, Musketeer companions are very easy to work with, seeing that all your buffs affect them and most all of them can get Overwatch/Burst Fire/Double Tap, which are must-needs for a musketeer companion. I never use Ratbeard, used Wing Chun a couple of times as a tank/healer unit, and NEVER, EVER used Burgius Latro.
IMO, Musketeers need to work with Musketeer companions (and maybe a swash or two).
So, Wild Bill Peacock (If you can afford him), Chantal and Bonne Anne are very good together!
Don't mean to be rude here, but I don't know why you would want a musketeer to surround himself with other classes
Maybe you might want a few melee around you when a tank mows you down with a frenzy.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
PRIVATEERJACK10 on Apr 20, 2015 wrote:
You are going to be at a SEVERE disadvantage when you face Rooke. Trust me.

Lieutenant
Feb 08, 2014