Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Please remove wounds and bedrest

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
Look I know its for a challenge but please either lower the bedrest time to 30 minutes for all levels (execpt under 30) or remove the entire wounded and bedrest thing it gets me really frusturated when i have to use my backups then they die then i dont have powerful enough companions this makes me quit and not play in 5 hours so please remove it or nerf it another option is lower miracle mitch price

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
Agreed the bed rest is to long for high level players. I can understand a hour but like 2-4 hours is overdoing it by a lot. I don't like bed rest or wounds.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The First Swashbuc... on Mar 29, 2015 wrote:
Look I know its for a challenge but please either lower the bedrest time to 30 minutes for all levels (execpt under 30) or remove the entire wounded and bedrest thing it gets me really frusturated when i have to use my backups then they die then i dont have powerful enough companions this makes me quit and not play in 5 hours so please remove it or nerf it another option is lower miracle mitch price
This kind of post turns up about every two months. Look, train up your back ups and they won't let you down! There are many ways of getting all your companions up to at least two levels below yours.

Captain
May 16, 2011
Here we go. You're not the first to complain about this, and you certainly won't be the last.

The point of bed rest and wounds is to keep players on their toes and get them to protect their companions in some way. Try:

A) Healing, but if you're not a Privateer, Bonnie can help.

B) Have the companion in the red and in question move as far away as enemies as possible, if they don't have Cheap Shot.

C) Train up your weaker companions as substitutes.

D) Any other ways you can get off the top of your head, because I certainly can't right now.

Keep in mind you can always take companions off bed rest, but they'll end up with three-fourths(Two-thirds? Four-fifths? I haven't taken the time to figure it out.) their regular health.

Just a tip(s).

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Ryanbold2 on Mar 29, 2015 wrote:
Agreed the bed rest is to long for high level players. I can understand a hour but like 2-4 hours is overdoing it by a lot. I don't like bed rest or wounds.
If real people took damage like our crews do, they'd either be dead or in hospital for weeks. I think I can give my favorite companions eight hours or so to recover from a major thumping.

Really, even the annoying chickens and bison are fine in those higher level battles, even though they don't look as cool as El Toro or a Kurgha. At least, they're fine if you make a minor effort to keep them half-way decently leveled.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
I know it can be frustrating when companions go on bed rest, but Ki did this for a reason. They want you to continue to use all your companions, not just those three you use.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I know wounded companions are annoying espicaly for high leveled and maxed leveled players , but as your pirate character(s) level up the companions need to be properly train for higher challenges ahead. Make sure give a lot of health, power and armor when the companions reach certain level. To ease the hassle for example, you can wake up a wounded companion for a lower health or visit Miracle Mitch for lots of gold. Either choice is risky,but pirates often take risk when comes to choosing, pay now for healthy companion or pay later with a companion with lower health.

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
Thunder Hawk on Mar 30, 2015 wrote:
Here we go. You're not the first to complain about this, and you certainly won't be the last.

The point of bed rest and wounds is to keep players on their toes and get them to protect their companions in some way. Try:

A) Healing, but if you're not a Privateer, Bonnie can help.

B) Have the companion in the red and in question move as far away as enemies as possible, if they don't have Cheap Shot.

C) Train up your weaker companions as substitutes.

D) Any other ways you can get off the top of your head, because I certainly can't right now.

Keep in mind you can always take companions off bed rest, but they'll end up with three-fourths(Two-thirds? Four-fifths? I haven't taken the time to figure it out.) their regular health.

Just a tip(s).
My reply to A is I'm a witch docter plus two heals are not enough
B. great tip! thanks!
C) yes I have actually done that with lefty(who I love) and rooster cogburn milo graytail i could go on forever but the enemies defeat them then i have to use beast companions (which suck) being a witch docter

Extra tip. yes i do that to privateers but my swashbucklers they would be to squishy yet bucanneers will work musketeers is a maybe (depending on what level)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Personally, I don't have a problem with having a few wounded companions, as my crew is so large at Level 65. Even if they don't have awesome epics, there are several who can get the job done.

However, if you do end up with a bunch of wounded companions and don't want to quest without them, you don't necessarily need to log off. Here is where having some side quests socked away, farming for Nautical/Scrip, or pet morphing and sparring can come in. We don't have too many side activities, but if you are waiting for your crew to heal, you can still play in these other areas. OR perhaps meet some new friends in Avery's Court or via a fansite who have their A-list ready to go, and you can feel better about going on with your C+ team.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
I'll be honest, I don't like the bed rest either. Quite frankly I loath it. However, it has made me realize that I'm playing too aggressively. My aggressive style worked in the past since all I had to do was go to a Life Fountain and I had my companions back. I just did a run of the Labyrinth again, and my Toro almost died in one of the fights. The enemies had cheap shot which made it painful to watch him get hit, but he survived. He hid in a corner and an enemy with low health targeted him. Lucky he blocked(though his riposte was used on one of the cheap shots). I went in and killed it while my Hawkules and Nausica took care of the rest.

As a general rule, I always give my companions these talents to rank 4:
1. Tough
2. Rough
3. Whatever stat benefits their class(i.e. agility for El Toro & Will for Old Scratch.)
4. Armored/Dodgy
-I say give witchdoctors & musketeers armored because there are more melee units than ranged units. Though if you only plan on using them against ranged units, then give them resistance

Substituting one for scrapper is not a bad idea. I've heard it cuts the time by a lot, but I've never used it myself.

For epics, I typically go for relentless/burst fire/mojo echo 1 first, then go for blade storm/double tap/mojo rising 1, and then if there are more epics to give, it varies based on their list of epics to choose from and class. That's to your discretion.

I've found Valor's Shield to be very helpful in combat. I can't remember if it's a perquisite to Elusive 2, but if it isn't, I can recommend it. If you don't want to spend the point(which I completely understand), there's always equipment that gives Valor's Fortress or Valor's Armor.

Since I became less aggressive, I haven't lost a companion in a while now. I'm not saying become passive, but rather react carefully, consider your options, and consider the results. This combat system is really just an (extremely) elaborated game of chess.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
They wanted us to use all our companions WOW! Great job at solveing it really? i mean they could have done it without bedrest they could have kept it the way it was with % they already had it done now they messed it up and added bedrest just annoying people when i returned i thought is was a joke i was wrong

I have all my reasons to loath this

48 Loyal Kyle Dodger

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Personally, I love this addition. It has added play value and consequences to the game which it had been lacking. Before the update players were using their crew like disposable tissues; "one is defeated, eh, no big deal use the life fountain or a mojo potion."
Now, it's a major issue, now you have to watch out, care for and above all, train all companions. I hated, hated, hated benching. You could only bench three; I would look at those on the bench and say "what a total waste of space you guys are."
The random % choice was a joke, often and at the least expected moment, one of the less desirable crew would turn up in battle, when this happened, defeat was almost guaranteed.
Now they're useful to me. And I've reset them from the ( free ) resets which came with the update; and although I would rather not use Nurse Quinn, now I know she can handle most battles. ( I tried her on the Wreck of the Victory along with the weasel gambler and the crab hermit and they did fairly well.)

Ensign
Nov 09, 2014
I'm now a max level buccaneer, but I began playing after the advanced companions update went through. I have never had a problem or been inconvienced in anyway by "bed-rest". Even when El Toro fell before the guns of Deacon and his troops, I simply moved Peter Quinn into first mate position and carried on, and when he got clobbered by samoorai, it was Luck Jack's turn. I always have my crew well trained, the worst of them are only four levels below mine; so if some horrible tragedy should happen to the best ones, these can step in.
Though I must say the Tower of Moo Manchu has helped me a lot in buying tomes. :D
Silent Ian Quentin level 65

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 30, 2015 wrote:
This kind of post turns up about every two months. Look, train up your back ups and they won't let you down! There are many ways of getting all your companions up to at least two levels below yours.
I kinda wish that Kingsisle could set up some pinned posts where people can talk about Hide and companion rest times, because it seems like everyone writes the same exact thing whenever things like that get posted.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Voodoo Cornelius on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
I kinda wish that Kingsisle could set up some pinned posts where people can talk about Hide and companion rest times, because it seems like everyone writes the same exact thing whenever things like that get posted.
It does get kind of repetitive, doesn't it? But I totally get that some folks need to vent their frustration as they try to adjust to the 'new' system. Those of us who either like or don't particularly mind the bedrest thing will point out the same things we've said every other post, and those who dislike it will say the same things they've all already said, and everyone has their little cathartic moment and it's all good until the next post.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I use the random selection because yeah of course you want your strongest companions all the time but never knowing who will show up throws me into situations that are not favorable. As a privateer I need to be aware of possible situations that may arise when things don't go well so that I will be mentally prepared for it and know what to do. It's good to learn how to scramble sometimes. For me knowing that players take a penalty when a companion is lost does make my decisions harder especially when it comes down to who to save. But I really think this feature is necessary because even in a game it is important to learn about the consequences of life and death choices.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
Well personally I don't have a problem with this situation. Definitely more realistic. I like using all my companions. I keep playing until my companions have healed!! Makes the game interesting that is for sure. I am having more fun with Pirate than Wizard. More cons for Wizard...

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 30, 2015 wrote:
I use all my companions. I always do something else to train my other lower companions. Love the game!!!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Yeah, I think the primary reason is to get you to use more of your crew than just your three favorites. I recall wondering what is the purpose for a privateer to have all these companions? You don't get any additional training tomes, so what use are these extras?

Now that you can train your companions, via Brawlin' and Keel Haulin', you can keep all your companions up to the same level. If you have patience (and with two years without an update looming only a month away, you have had plenty of time) you can keep them all at the same level as your pirate, even getting promotion quests before you even get to the worlds you have to go to to get the promotion.

Seriously, I'm working to having all my pirates at max gold, max companions, max navigation, each with a bank full of sellable items ready to go.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
The bed rest period makes the stakes in a fight higher, which makes for more intense fights, which encourages you to play smart. I think the period of rest does need to escalate as characters advance, since higher-level characters have a much larger crew of reserves than lower-level pirates. While it took a little adjustment when it was first introduced, after months of playing with this change I quite like it.

-Indigo

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011
By the way cleary no one is listening i am saying "it gets me really frustratrated when I have to use my backups then they die" now i feel like the posts have a touch of disrespect to me

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
The First Swashbuc... on Apr 25, 2015 wrote:
By the way cleary no one is listening i am saying "it gets me really frustratrated when I have to use my backups then they die" now i feel like the posts have a touch of disrespect to me
Aye, I do believe you're receiving an unnecessary amount of heat for this. I thought this would end shortly after my post but people still keep going. Btw, I hope I wasn't being too rude. I've received a lot of criticism for posting my opinion on the matter. This amount of pile up is a bit uncalled for really.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Well, firstly, the statement, "it gets frustrating when my backups did it gets me really frustrated" doesn't make any grammatical sense, so, it could be nobody has any idea what you mean.

Secondly, going back over your previous posts, I can find this quote nowhere in there. We can't very well listen to words you never uttered.

Now, if we are coming across as disrespectful, that is purely a subjective view, really. Just because we may disagree with you, does not make us disrespectful.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
I think that perhaps it isn't so much that we're not listening as we're not quite sure what you're trying to say. Is it that you are frustrated using your least favorite crew members? (And I totally get having to use the batacuda or the sky snake gets annoying.) Or are you saying your favorites go down too easily?

So have you trained up your less favorites? And if you're in Cool Ranch then you've got other options besides the batacuda or the sky snake or the scorpion to use once Bonnie Anne and Ratbeard go down.

What is your play style like? If you're just tossing your crew out in front of you, of course they're likely to drop. Switch up your tactics from "meat shield" to a more considered attack. If the enemy has first strike, focus everyone on a single target so they only get off that one first strike. Yes, one of your crew is now going to bear the brunt of the battle, but he'll also be the one you focus on to heal. Pull him back and start someone else on a new first strike target when he starts looking seriously hurt. Do the same with enemies with vengeance strike; cut down on the number of your crew likely to soak up those hits.

Revisit your choices in terms of the advances you gave your crew. You can reset them for gold. Look at boosting their accuracy and dodge first. Pump up their toughness. Since bedrest is your bete noir, consider investing in scrapper for your favorites, to cut down the time they're out of action.

If your complaint is that we're not universally agreeing with you, then I'm sorry, but many of us quite like the bedrest system, since it makes us up our game to protect our crew. We're making our points for why we like it, not intending to offer you disrespect. But that's a two-way street; some of your responses are quite cool when someone offers a suggestion to help you deal with the game as it is.

Petty Officer
Nov 15, 2012
i really don't mind bedrest because i can get off the game when they are healing and it gives me more time to play NeverWinter on my xboxOne :) and lvl up my Archer and WarLock...