Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Any advice starting as a Privateer?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
I pretty much played all combat focused classes so I wanna try my hand as a support/healer and any advice would be useful

Another question Would it be best for a privateer to use a staff because of the higher will than strength?

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Privateers are a good class. They get the most weapon damage and the most companions.

For your weapon choice, use slashy or slashy/smashy weapons. They are what you train from The Commodore. The best kind of weapons are the halberds, they deal more damage than the sword and shield combo.

Privateers spend most of their time healing and buffing out there. Farm for gear with attack powers, because Privateers don't get any. Mighty Charge and Sneak Attack are definitely some powers you should train.

The most powerful and best companions for a Privateer are Egg Shen, Emmett, Bison Shaman, Mustang Rowdy, Black Storm Scout, Tonka, Eric Jolly, and Iago. My Privateer is only level 30 at the moment, so not all the best ones are here. Tonka, the Mustang Rowdy, and Iago are my current top three. Consider using them as well.

Some Privateer advice: If you want to be powerful with not a lot of attacks, focus on weapons that use only Slashy or Slashy/Smashy, as I've said. Sword and Shield combos are not very strong, and Stabby, staffy, and shooty weapons do not help either. If you want to be the best you can be, focus on slashy!

And staves I think will not help in battle, I haven't used them, but you can try and see if they're good or not.

Hope this long guide thing helps!

-Black Wolf Bowman Level 65
-Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 30

Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
So is there any way to boost my healing?

Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
Is it true Privateers need Rat Beard more than other classes?

Petty Officer
May 14, 2011
1: i believe spell power and will affect healing, 2: marchioness, emmet, and jack are some of the best (at least when maxed) if your gonna use non privy class companions then Ratbeard, Bon, and egg are some of best options. 3: i suggest a wand, Reasons: (A) more range for heals, (B) uses will which you also need for heals so then you can use the same stat for both things.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
zachshock on Mar 10, 2015 wrote:
Is it true Privateers need Rat Beard more than other classes?
I've never heard that Privateers NEED Ratbeard. I never use him, so no.

Petty Officer
Sep 03, 2009
Whats some good early game privateer gear?

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
zachshock on Mar 8, 2015 wrote:
I pretty much played all combat focused classes so I wanna try my hand as a support/healer and any advice would be useful

Another question Would it be best for a privateer to use a staff because of the higher will than strength?
hello mate! i'm a max level privateer who has beated the game so here is my advice first getting a weapon that can get more power from will is a great idea in fact thats what my weapon has and you should be sure to keep using your buffs so you can power up your crew mates and beast you emenys and be sure to keep some heals handy they could save your crew members in a tight spot you also need to make sure your crew mates levels are like high leveled near your pirates leveled so this way your crew members can help take on anything and last if you are forced to fight a smashy/slashy weapon is a great idea if you can find a weapon that gets more power from will hopefully this advice helps later!

fearless talon lewis level 65

golden leo level 18

sean nightingale level 11

Petty Officer
Mar 11, 2011
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Mar 9, 2015 wrote:
Privateers are a good class. They get the most weapon damage and the most companions.

For your weapon choice, use slashy or slashy/smashy weapons. They are what you train from The Commodore. The best kind of weapons are the halberds, they deal more damage than the sword and shield combo.

Privateers spend most of their time healing and buffing out there. Farm for gear with attack powers, because Privateers don't get any. Mighty Charge and Sneak Attack are definitely some powers you should train.

The most powerful and best companions for a Privateer are Egg Shen, Emmett, Bison Shaman, Mustang Rowdy, Black Storm Scout, Tonka, Eric Jolly, and Iago. My Privateer is only level 30 at the moment, so not all the best ones are here. Tonka, the Mustang Rowdy, and Iago are my current top three. Consider using them as well.

Some Privateer advice: If you want to be powerful with not a lot of attacks, focus on weapons that use only Slashy or Slashy/Smashy, as I've said. Sword and Shield combos are not very strong, and Stabby, staffy, and shooty weapons do not help either. If you want to be the best you can be, focus on slashy!

And staves I think will not help in battle, I haven't used them, but you can try and see if they're good or not.

Really what companions you use depend on your strategy of game play as a Privateer. Everyone may use different companions for a different situation; I usually go Marchioness, Emmett and Bonnie Anne. What companions you use may also depend on your gear (if you have some gear that gives Valor Fortress for example, you could protect softer companions like Musketeers or Witchdoctors or make a Buccaneer a complete tank.

Also don't forget that Strength based is stronger against enemies with low Strength, same goes with Will or Agility. If your fighting some Musketeers or Witchdoctors, it may be a good idea to bring in a Buccaneer such as Ratbeard, Tonka is also pretty decent, but doesn't have any powers but can get relentless, so it may help.

Fair Sailing!

Jacob 65
Sam 59

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I may not played as a Privateer that much, however this class is very versatile in powers and talents.

When comes to boosting the big 3 agility, strength and will. Unlike the other class witch favor one dominant skill, this class can boost two of the 3 skills. Strength for it's close combat, and will for healing. This class is also a good support team, when playing in groups.In addition to pointy weapons ( stabby ), spark weapons (shooty ) and blade weapons ( slashy ), with a talanet from the buccaneer class this class can train heavy weapons a.k.a smashy.

There are plenty of talents to choose from for this class, walking in wind to incearse agility, sneak attack for speedy attack, mighty charge, gunnery, the claw, ghost wisp, hurl daggers etc. It's like the all purpose pirate class in my opinon.

Usually in my opinon, I recommend this class for intermediate players or players who love to use a variety of skills from the other pirate class and/or usually play in groups.

Ensign
Mar 16, 2013
beat the game as a privateer i thought privateer were horrible but when i got stronger there good honestly, just stay back and let your companions do the work that's what i do and it works

happy and fair sailing

bloody Jordan Nightingale level 65

Ensign
Nov 21, 2010
As Privateers are the only class I've really played as(I have a level 22 Witchdoctor, but that's really it), so I'm pretty sure I can point you into the right direction.
As for your home-world, I'd suggest Grizzleheim(Boosts health) or Krokotopia(Boosts spooky, with increases health healed and damage dealt by the bombs). As for the parents, I'd suggest Storm(Milo Graytail), for Privateers, while getting the most companions, don't get as much Swashbuckler companions as they do Buccaneers companions(And Swashbucklers are a deadly addition to a Privateer's team, for their low health matters little with a Privateer's healing, Accuracy/Dodge buffs, and damage lowering buffs such as Valor's Fortress)
Look for Staffy/Slashy weapons, for you can use your high Will and your slashy boosts together to do higher damage when you do actually attack. And when you do your Will buffs, they can actually give you more damage, higher critical chance, etc(Just mind enemies with Witch Hunter). Also, I suggest training/have gear for all possible Witchdoctor talents/powers, for they can put further use to your Spell Power, boost your Staffy/Slashy weapon further(Staffy boosts), and give you more Spell Power(You can get in total +15% Spell Power, even further with a Krokotopia boost). Plus, the Jujus help maintain a more mixed-base-stat team.(Though I typically just use a completely Privateer team.)
I hope I am of help!

Lieutenant
Mar 30, 2011

Just gonna fix ya

Ok privateers do not get the most weapon damage swashys do is that clear cause if they did get the most weapon damage they would be the most op class in the game

Ensign
Aug 09, 2012

Not to undermine your statement, but Privateers receive some of the least, maybe even the least, if you will, weapon damage of classes.