Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Treasure Chest Hunting: Boring?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Treasure chests are a cool concept, I bet everyone can agree on that. What bothers me is the boring concept of finding chests, always behind predictable corners and walls. Why not take a step further on where they can be found. Don’t limit chests to places we can reach on foot. Place them on edges of cliffs, in a tall tree or in the window of a house, maybe hanging by rope in a big cave!
Spacebar! Spacebar! I can’t jump high enough to reach the chests! Getting a chest is the coolest part, with no need to jump and climb like Gortez. Use a telescope to look around for treasure chests.
A telescope functions in a simple way. The view changes to a circle, arrow keys change where focusing, and a zooming slider is on the side or bottom. When you locate a chest, click on it to get the rewards inside, just like on foot. I would assume the rewards would be much greater, because of the more skill and focus needed to find a chest. The telescope is like an accessory that’s always with you from the start, not something you equip and unequip.
The other benefit is making the pirate world seem bigger and more alive. This game does have beautiful settings up and down, but while walking around, the camera angle does not like looking up. A telescope takes advantage of the details done above our pirates line of sight. It also makes pirates want to slow down and explore around more, up and down, giving off the sense the game world is bigger and less restricted.
Imaging finding treasure looking from the big hill near the hydra’s cave in Achaea, on the broken ship high up in Diablo cut, or even on your ship finding a chest dangling from the giant machine in Valencia! Doesn't treasure chest hunting sound more fun now? Sure does! Please give me a yarr if you like this, or please comment, I worked really hard on it!

-Tireless Evan Evans lv.65

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
Yeah that would totally open up the game, I hope the creators add this to the game.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
I really do like this idea, a telescope is a very smart idea and I absolutely love it. I agree that the chests should be in some more interesting locations which require skill and techniques that pirates must think of how to successfully open a chest. I really do hope this gets implemented in the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
EMC99 on Feb 24, 2015 wrote:
Treasure chests are a cool concept, I bet everyone can agree on that. What bothers me is the boring concept of finding chests, always behind predictable corners and walls. Why not take a step further on where they can be found. Don’t limit chests to places we can reach on foot. Place them on edges of cliffs, in a tall tree or in the window of a house, maybe hanging by rope in a big cave!
Spacebar! Spacebar! I can’t jump high enough to reach the chests! Getting a chest is the coolest part, with no need to jump and climb like Gortez. Use a telescope to look around for treasure chests.
A telescope functions in a simple way. The view changes to a circle, arrow keys change where focusing, and a zooming slider is on the side or bottom. When you locate a chest, click on it to get the rewards inside, just like on foot. I would assume the rewards would be much greater, because of the more skill and focus needed to find a chest. The telescope is like an accessory that’s always with you from the start, not something you equip and unequip.
The other benefit is making the pirate world seem bigger and more alive. This game does have beautiful settings up and down, but while walking around, the camera angle does not like looking up. A telescope takes advantage of the details done above our pirates line of sight. It also makes pirates want to slow down and explore around more, up and down, giving off the sense the game world is bigger and less restricted.
Imaging finding treasure looking from the big hill near the hydra’s cave in Achaea, on the broken ship high up in Diablo cut, or even on your ship finding a chest dangling from the giant machine in Valencia! Doesn't treasure chest hunting sound more fun now? Sure does! Please give me a yarr if you like this, or please comment, I worked really hard on it!

I like the predictability of knowing where a treasure ( or GPC ) will show up. Since we aren't able to climb or even jump very well, having chest in inaccessible places would just lead to frustration. You're telescope idea is way too complicated.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
I don't know what you do but i don't go treasure chest hunting considering they don't usually give a lot of gold and that there is better things to do. Decides how are we get these chests? Does our jump get improved? I like the idea though i'm not a person who looks for chests.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Ryanbold2 on Feb 25, 2015 wrote:
I don't know what you do but i don't go treasure chest hunting considering they don't usually give a lot of gold and that there is better things to do. Decides how are we get these chests? Does our jump get improved? I like the idea though i'm not a person who looks for chests.
Just pointing the telescope at a chest makes the press x or left click message pop up.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 25, 2015 wrote:
I like the predictability of knowing where a treasure ( or GPC ) will show up. Since we aren't able to climb or even jump very well, having chest in inaccessible places would just lead to frustration. You're telescope idea is way too complicated.
I thought people would comment on how simple the idea is. I mean all that you really do is look through a telescope basically! Or do you not understand the idea?

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I go Treasure Chest Hunting all the time because that is just like Gold being left on the ground that you don't have to do any fighting for. If you do farming for Gold, why not spend just a little time picking up Gold left lying around? It does add up at the end of the day. Most of the Treasure Chests I find are what i call persistent Treasure Chests - they always show up in the same place. Sometimes the persistent Treasure Chest is a Group Plunder Chest, either two or four lock (of course, you have to have friends to help you open them).

Boring? Maybe, but for me, it is a good way to get more Gold to spend on my Pirate, Pets, and Housing.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
EMC99 on Feb 25, 2015 wrote:
I thought people would comment on how simple the idea is. I mean all that you really do is look through a telescope basically! Or do you not understand the idea?
I think it sounds fun. How much more piratey can you get than with checking out the lay of the land with a spyglass

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
EMC99 on Feb 25, 2015 wrote:
I was referring to the complication of designing and programing, then adding this tool.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

I actually really like this idea Evan/EMC99.

I have played many console games where there is a feature similar to this, in which you use either binoculars, a telescope or a camera to locate hidden or "off the beaten path" treasures, surprises and prizes. In those games, once you locate a hidden object or "treasure", you either hit a button to collect or snap a picture (which acts as collecting as well), and then you receive a reward.

I would have to agree with you Evan, in that it is a very, very, very simple concept in regards to the player performing the action. Usually it is just click a button to switch to binocular/camera mode, move the joystick around to locate/zoom and then once you find something interesting or a hidden object, just click the "activate/use" button to collect or capture the object. Super easy, with only 2-3 clicks and a little movement necessary. Now, I don't know how easy this would be to pull off as far as programming goes, but as far as a player activity....it's easy, peazy, pepper, sneazy-- and I know from experiences with it in other games! With those console games, it literally only takes a click, 1 or 2 seconds of looking, zooming (sometimes) and 1 more click to collect.

As far as implementing a feature like this in pirates, not only does it make sense, but it would also be a fun, alternative means to find hidden treasures, chests and/or rewards....and if you didn't want to participate in it, you simply wouldn't have to. I mean we are pirates in search of treasure and what pirate captain doesn't use a scope throughout his/her adventures. Maybe these hidden chests could contain a new form of treasure along with gold, to make it worth while to do some good ol' fashioned investigative piratin'.

I think for simplicity, maybe it could be done by just clicking a button, like "T", to enter Telescope mode, you then look around with the WASD keyboard keys, zoom in with the UP Arrow and zoom out with the DOWN Arrow, then click on "X" when zoomed in and when the game prompts you to. All of the words make it sound complicated, but it really is quite a simple concept and would be extremely easy to learn and get use to.

I think if the potential of "bonus or rare" rewards (maybe crafting "ingredients" when crafting comes) were added to these hidden chests, then it would certainly be a good reason to go out chest hunting on cliffs, in trees, on rooftops and such.

I really do like the idea, Evan, and think that it would provide the casual player with one more gaming aspect to have fun with and to reward them.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 26, 2015 wrote:
I was referring to the complication of designing and programing, then adding this tool.
Well, okay!

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Feb 26, 2015 wrote:
I actually really like this idea Evan/EMC99.

I have played many console games where there is a feature similar to this, in which you use either binoculars, a telescope or a camera to locate hidden or "off the beaten path" treasures, surprises and prizes. In those games, once you locate a hidden object or "treasure", you either hit a button to collect or snap a picture (which acts as collecting as well), and then you receive a reward.

I would have to agree with you Evan, in that it is a very, very, very simple concept in regards to the player performing the action. Usually it is just click a button to switch to binocular/camera mode, move the joystick around to locate/zoom and then once you find something interesting or a hidden object, just click the "activate/use" button to collect or capture the object. Super easy, with only 2-3 clicks and a little movement necessary. Now, I don't know how easy this would be to pull off as far as programming goes, but as far as a player activity....it's easy, peazy, pepper, sneazy-- and I know from experiences with it in other games! With those console games, it literally only takes a click, 1 or 2 seconds of looking, zooming (sometimes) and 1 more click to collect.

As far as implementing a feature like this in pirates, not only does it make sense, but it would also be a fun, alternative means to find hidden treasures, chests and/or rewards....and if you didn't want to participate in it, you simply wouldn't have to. I mean we are pirates in search of treasure and what pirate captain doesn't use a scope throughout his/her adventures. Maybe these hidden chests could contain a new form of treasure along with gold, to make it worth while to do some good ol' fashioned investigative piratin'.

I think for simplicity, maybe it could be done by just clicking a button, like "T", to enter Telescope mode, you then look around with the WASD keyboard keys, zoom in with the UP Arrow and zoom out with the DOWN Arrow, then click on "X" when zoomed in and when the game prompts you to. All of the words make it sound complicated, but it really is quite a simple concept and would be extremely easy to learn and get use to.

I think if the potential of "bonus or rare" rewards (maybe crafting "ingredients" when crafting comes) were added to these hidden chests, then it would certainly be a good reason to go out chest hunting on cliffs, in trees, on rooftops and such.

I really do like the idea, Evan, and think that it would provide the casual player with one more gaming aspect to have fun with and to reward them.
Thanks! Thant comment was longer than my idea... sorry, that doesn't matter! Anyways, this would be perfect for crafting! I never thought of that!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Sounds like a fun idea to me. Why not? Plus it would allow us to fully enjoy all the hard work of the developers. Couldn't it be added like a camera option of zooming in?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Dec 23, 2012
This could solve so many problems like when you find a chest with four locks. Everytime I find one this happens. So at first a see the chest and am super happy So I look at my friend list and only three are on so I ask all of them to come help and one comes but one of them is in a battle and the other is Menu Chat so while I am am looking for someway to tell him to come the guy with me starts to get ancy so I tell him to ask a friend of his to come. He does and gets one to join us a little bit after he teleports I see a guy on super fast mount zooming by so I start chasing him trying to flag him down. In order to slow him down I have to bombard him with rapid friend requests once I finnaly get him to stop I ask him to help me and my friends open a group plunder chest. He politely says "NO!!!!! And stop trying to friend me!" Well after that failed attempt I start walking back but just then I hear the sound of a chest being open i race back to find out that my friend and his friend had found two more friends so my friend's friend's friends get all me loot. (Gee some friend ) But with your ides I simply look for treasure in a spyglass in the luxuries of me own ship. Much more relaxing.
Ruthless Caleb Gunwale

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009

Your idea is great. The designers of the worlds put a lot of effort into making the game look great and paid great attention to detail, but everybody passes it by and takes it for granted. When crafting comes along(I'm gonna start a board for crafting so keep your eyes open for me), putting reagents in those will be a great idea. This game doesn't really feel like pirates. Heck, I feel like I'm part of a navy more than actually pirates. This will pirate it up a bit.

As for programming, I don't think it would actually be that difficult. All you're doing is cutting off part of the screen then zooming in or out and moving.

Swashbuckler I see... Smart choice.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
FireMorgan13 on Mar 1, 2015 wrote:
Your idea is great. The designers of the worlds put a lot of effort into making the game look great and paid great attention to detail, but everybody passes it by and takes it for granted. When crafting comes along(I'm gonna start a board for crafting so keep your eyes open for me), putting reagents in those will be a great idea. This game doesn't really feel like pirates. Heck, I feel like I'm part of a navy more than actually pirates. This will pirate it up a bit.

As for programming, I don't think it would actually be that difficult. All you're doing is cutting off part of the screen then zooming in or out and moving.

Swashbuckler I see... Smart choice.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
Thanks! This idea of implementing it with crafting keeps sounding better and better, even though I wasn't the one who thought of it! Anyways, my main pirate has slowly been switching over to my first max pirate, a musketeer. My admiration has been... developing... over the past few months, so please welcome...

Helpful Evan Carter lv.65